or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Any word on Amazon VOD for PS3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any word on Amazon VOD for PS3?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Just wondering if Amazon VOD will ever come to the ps3.
post #2 of 26
PlayOn supports Amazon VOD.

http://www.playon.tv/playon
post #3 of 26
Amazon VOD baked into the XMB would be great. Big fan of Amazon VOD using the logitech revuew
post #4 of 26
I'm guessing that since Amazon VOD competes directly with the PSN, you'll see it officially supported...never.

And to preemptively address the counterargument, Netflix is different because the Netflix streaming options don't overlap too much with PSN offerings. On the other hand, the feature-length films offered on Amazon VOD are virtually identical to what's offered on Zune and PSN. It would be like Best Buy letting GameStop lease space in their store.
post #5 of 26
^^^ VUDU smiles and winks.

Between the PSN video store and VUDU, pretty much all VoD movies are available on the PS3, most in HD. More options are always welcome though.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, there's a third option on the way.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

PlayOn supports Amazon VOD.

http://www.playon.tv/playon

The quality of Amazon VOD through PlayOn is pretty unwatchable for me, even for SD, and I have the best possible set up (max computer specs, internet speed, wired connection, etc.) for high quality streams with their program.

I would love to see an Amazon VOD app for the PS3, but as others have pointed out, that's about as likely as my cable company allowing a third-party video service streams on their DVRs.

However, now that I'll be cancelling my NF streaming service, it might be time to move my Roku into the livingroom to use it exclusively there as an Amazon streaming device.
post #7 of 26
While I'd like to see it as well
The chance of it happening
Are like a snowballs chance in Hell ..
post #8 of 26
Amazon VOD with my Sony DMX-NV1 and wireless N bridge works great.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post
Amazon VOD with my Sony DMX-NV1 and wireless N bridge works great.
I'm curious, what does that product do that a cheaper Roku or internet enabled (wi-fi) blu-ray player, like the Sony BDP-S580, can't? Are there specific apps you can only get with it that you're interested in?
post #10 of 26
Is PlayOn the tab on the PS3 "Internet XMB " page with all of the free movies ?
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Is PlayOn the tab on the PS3 "Internet XMB " page with all of the free movies ?

PlayOn is a third party program you download to your PC that let's you stream various internet sources (NF, Hulu, Pandora, YouTube, and dozens of others) to a game console or other networked device. You have to purchase and download it from their website: http://www.playon.tv/playon. I got it for $30 a couple years ago; now it's $80 for a lifetime sub. Since the PS3 got the NF app, I never use it, partly because it won't do HD. You also have to leave your PC on for it to work.

If you're interested in checking it out, they offer a free trial.
post #12 of 26
Yeah, I have the lifetime license, but primarily use it for Hulu on the PS3 and to stream Hulu to my phone (which works surprisingly well even over 3G).

Was using it for Netflix to my phone before they launched the official Android app.

I have not tried Amazon VOD, since between everything else, I have more than enough content at my fingertips. Need more quality TV-watching time in my day to fit it all in
post #13 of 26
VUDU > Amazon VOD
post #14 of 26
"VUDU > Amazon VOD"

VUDU doesn't offer a subscription service that also gets me cheap 2-day shipping on all my Amazon orders.

More accurately, you would say "VUDU offers some great options, while Amazon offers other great options". Your blanket "bettar than!!!1" statement is fanboy hyperbole at best.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Your right!

Free shipping and access to streaming movies like Netflix who just had a 60% increase in price! Now would be a great time for Amazon to expand.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

PlayOn is a third party program you download to your PC that let's you stream various internet sources (NF, Hulu, Pandora, YouTube, and dozens of others) to a game console or other networked device. You have to purchase and download it from their website: http://www.playon.tv/playon. I got it for $30 a couple years ago; now it's $80 for a lifetime sub. Since the PS3 got the NF app, I never use it, partly because it won't do HD. You also have to leave your PC on for it to work.

If you're interested in checking it out, they offer a free trial.

Thanks. Now that I'm home, CRACKLE is the free movie service I see on the PS3 internet browser home page.

So PS3 owners have these choices:
CRACKLE, VUDU, Netflix, PSN store. And apparantly Playon and amazon VOD.

Lots of them.
post #17 of 26
"Free shipping and access to streaming movies like Netflix who just had a 60% increase in price! Now would be a great time for Amazon to expand."

Netflix didn't just have a 60% increase in price. Now that streaming is established, they just stopped bundling it in with disc plans as a freebie. My plan just got cheaper by $2, and both the 1 and 2 disc plans are cheaper today than they have ever been. I would have mentioned this in the PS3 Netflix thread, but my god is the whining going on over there epic. There is nobody that offers as good of a streaming catalogue as Netflix, and they do it for dirt cheap.
post #18 of 26
But Netflix has a gimpy selection when it comes to high-def movie streams. It's the main reason why I've never signed up for it - most of the HD streams it offers are low grade or niche releases.

From the instantwatch website, the link shows what's available for HD streams of movies released in 2009 or later. There are hardly any top quality or popular releases on it.

I'll stick with the occasional VUDU rental every other month or so for the non Bluray movies that I want to watch in HD.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'm curious, what does that product do that a cheaper Roku or internet enabled (wi-fi) blu-ray player, like the Sony BDP-S580, can't? Are there specific apps you can only get with it that you're interested in?
Not that I know of...I am happy with the Amazon VOD. It is much easier to use than my PS3 or my TiVo. I got it over a year ago when they were still being offered.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"VUDU > Amazon VOD"

VUDU doesn't offer a subscription service that also gets me cheap 2-day shipping on all my Amazon orders.

More accurately, you would say "VUDU offers some great options, while Amazon offers other great options". Your blanket "bettar than!!!1" statement is fanboy hyperbole at best.

I'm actually an Amazon fanboy, and heavily invested (own and rent VOD movies have a Kindle etc.). I was talking about video quality. VUDU video quality is better than Amazon's.
post #21 of 26
Netflix just announced that they are further splitting the streaming and DVD-by-mail service by separating the sites into Netflix.com for VOD and Quikster.com for DVDs. By separating the queues and payments it further drives a wedge between these services.

See the Netflix announcement here:
Link

Amazon's opportunity is now to gain market share against the Netflix dominance in the VOD arena.
post #22 of 26
Yeah...Netflix's recent decisions have been a picture perfect display of bad choices. The announced split of companies is just crazy! I quit the discs and kept the streaming since I seem to use that more often now.

I wish PS3 would support Amazon VOD through a native app. I have a lifetime subscription to Playon and I find the qaulity to be much better today than it was 6 months ago. But I'm sure it would be even better if the app was native.

Being a Prime member at Amazon is great because of all the free stuff they keep adding for VOD. In fact, they offer Star Trek Deep Space Nine as a streaming option right now which is the only Star Trek not available at Netflix (yet...coming october???). If Amazon was smart, they would kick their offerings into high gear and start grabbing some of theose lost netflix customers. Get on any/every device you can.
post #23 of 26
If Amazon streaming continues to gain momentum and expanded offerings .. at some point, it will be separated from Prime and a monthly fee will be initiated .. Bezos is doing pretty much the same thing Hastings did at NF .. suck customers in and call it free .. when he got enough sucked in, change the game and charge .. you'll lose some, but most will stay ..

It's good business .. and both of these guys know exactly what they are doing ..
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkelley20 View Post
(snip)
If Amazon was smart, they would kick their offerings into high gear and start grabbing some of theose lost netflix customers. Get on any/every device you can.
Yeah, I'd love to see Amazon strike a deal with Stars!
post #25 of 26
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

I'm guessing that since Amazon VOD competes directly with the PSN, you'll see it officially supported...never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

While I'd like to see it as well
The chance of it happening
Are like a snowballs chance in Hell ..


lol, it was a good read.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Any word on Amazon VOD for PS3?