Originally Posted by djdcm0722
I just wanted to say: Amazing beautiful work. I wish I had the time and resources to create something like that. Keep up the good work and can't want to see the final pictures.
Sorry I took so long to reply to this, but thanks. I really appreciate it.
Originally Posted by maxmercy
18 drivers total? That should put you near the same output as 6 15" subs with around the same Xmax
I would love to do a Large-Bore Howitzer build some time. I can't afford it right now, though.
I've been busy, but I'm back on the Howitzers again. I've actually put in a little time here and there on them since the last post.
I haven't taken any pictures lately, but here's what happened.
I used a sander to strip back the finish a little, then either wiped a wet rag across the tops or polished again, to see if the pollen was gone.
It turns out that the pollen settled into the very first clear coat after the color coat. That means there was no way to avoid damaging the color coat when stripping off the pollen hazed coat over it.
Here's where the two cabinets went different paths.
Cabinet 1 got the color stripped off and I tinted some Target Coatings EM-6000 water based lacquer to spray as the tint coat. It sprayed beautifully and looked great--until I sprayed untinted clear EM-6000 over it. Remember, this stuff will partially dissolve the layer under it, so the two layers "melt" together into a single layer. That's a good thing, unless
the previous layer is tinted and an untinted contrasting wood is next to the color coat layer. That's right. The color bled onto the Birdseye Maple--giving it Pink Eye--but only after
I sprayed a clear coat, blurring the line between the contrasting woods.
So, I got to strip the Cabinet 1 top again
and re-shoot the color. I used the MinWax Oil Modified Water Based Poly for the color and clear on both cabinet tops after that.
Cabinet 2--I got to re-veneer the top after damaging the veneer during the color stripping effort (never sand when you are mad). After re-veneering, Cabinet 2 got sprayed with the MinWax poly for color and clear.
About the pollen/dust hazing problem--
I realized the problem isn't the presence of pollen and dust during spraying, the problem is air movement stirring things up. So, I kept the garage closed during spraying and quickly moved the projects indoors to dry.
I'll get some photos later, but while spraying the clear on the two cabinets, I got in too much of a hurry and didn't allow sufficient time between coats and I now have moisture trapped within the layers on both tops, making them look cloudy. That shouldn't be a big deal, it just looks bad for now. It may take a month or longer, but the moisture will eventually escape. I'll just go ahead and finish these cannons and if the moisture isn't gone in a couple of months, I'll make a panel to go on top of each cabinet. So, I'm really not worried about the moisture problem.
Where I am now--I just started spraying the WB Lacquer again, because I like the way it polishes.