or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 5

post #121 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Curtis - Dennis doesn't want you to see what he's doing. :-p

OK--think I've got it straightened out. The site somehow got assigned to two different accounts. That's taken care of, but it will be a day or so before it takes hold worldwide. Thanks for the heads up.
post #122 of 4611
I'm getting: "The connection has timed out."
post #123 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Curtis - Dennis doesn't want you to see what he's doing. :-p

Ha...I doubt that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

OK--think I've got it straightened out. The site somehow got assigned to two different accounts. That's taken care of, but it will be a day or so before it takes hold worldwide. Thanks for the heads up.

Ahh....good.
post #124 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

DenPureSound really wants the Philharmonic3s.

He can hardly contain himself.

These could be his dream speakers - his last set of speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy -- did you get your Phil 3's yet? Can't wait for your professional audio writeup on how they compare to the Orions, Salon 2, and KEF's.
post #125 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpuresound View Post

can't wait for your professional audio writeup

+1
post #126 of 4611
Hey Dennis, will you be offering bookshelf speakers?
post #127 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Hey Dennis, will you be offering bookshelf speakers?

I'm not Dennis, but you can contact him at philharmonicaudio.com for details.....Monitor I with .5 cabinet and II with.75 cabinet for more bass, both with fountek tweeter and 7" Seas woofer.
LL
post #128 of 4611
Thanks.
post #129 of 4611
Those monitors are sexy!
post #130 of 4611
Brandon, how are you, yes they are very nice aren't they.

The sound is too, I am sure, as I love the CAOW1s very much and I will love these even more as they have the fountek and a larger seas woofer, which I need in my small listening room. Dennis prefers the fountek over the OW2s anyway.

Hopefully, I will have the Philly IIs and the Monitor IIs in less than 2 weeks.

As soon as the center enclosures are delivered then I will have the 2 channel and theater complete. I feel that the journey has been forever, but at last 'fini'.

Hope you and your family are well.

Rob
post #131 of 4611
Dennis,
I wonder if you could elaborate a little on your choice of the BG Neo8 planar midrange. I have them in my BG Radia SA-360 in-walls and love them when paired with the Neo3 tweeter. But owning a pair of the Salk SongTowers (with the RAAL tweeter), I am also interested in the pairing of the planar midrange with the RAAL 10D.
Thanks.
Patrick
post #132 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

Dennis,
I wonder if you could elaborate a little on your choice of the BG Neo8 planar midrange. I have them in my BG Radia SA-360 in-walls and love them when paired with the Neo3 tweeter. But owning a pair of the Salk SongTowers (with the RAAL tweeter), I am also interested in the pairing of the planar midrange with the RAAL 10D.
Thanks.
Patrick

Hi Patrick I'm not absolutely sure what the question is. Are you wondering why I didn't choose a conventional cone driver like the ER15 I used in the SongTowers? If so, there were two reasons. First, the midrange cabinets of the Philharmonics are open-backed, so the dipole radiation of the Neo8 planar (with no obtrusive frame members on the rear) seemed like a natural fit. Second, the RAAL 10D can't be crossed safely below about 2700 Hz. The narrow Neo8 has excellent horizontal dispersion up to around 8 kHz, whereas the ER15 and other cone drivers like it will start to beam above 2200 Hz or so. With the Neo 8, I could have crossed much higher than I did, but I thought I would get as much duty out of the excellent Raal as I could.
post #133 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post


Hi Patrick I'm not absolutely sure what the question is. Are you wondering why I didn't choose a conventional cone driver like the ER15 I used in the SongTowers? If so, there were two reasons. First, the midrange cabinets of the Philharmonics are open-backed, so the dipole radiation of the Neo8 planar (with no obtrusive frame members on the rear) seemed like a natural fit. Second, the RAAL 10D can't be crossed safely below about 2700 Hz. The narrow Neo8 has excellent horizontal dispersion up to around 8 kHz, whereas the ER15 and other cone drivers like it will start to beam above 2200 Hz or so. With the Neo 8, I could have crossed much higher than I did, but I thought I would get as much duty out of the excellent Raal as I could.

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I was just wondering what your thought process was in choosing the BG. I love the way they sound, and I am really interested in hearing how the Neo8 sounds in your design! I am afraid they might end up it my living room after I do hear them though....

Best Regards,
Patrick
post #134 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Brandon, how are you, yes they are very nice aren't they.

The sound is too, I am sure, as I love the CAOW1s very much and I will love these even more as they have the fountek and a larger seas woofer, which I need in my small listening room. Dennis prefers the fountek over the OW2s anyway.

Hopefully, I will have the Philly IIs and the Monitor IIs in less than 2 weeks.

As soon as the center enclosures are delivered then I will have the 2 channel and theater complete. I feel that the journey has been forever, but at last 'fini'.

Hope you and your family are well.

Rob

We are well, thank you. I hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving!

The Phil's are getting me very excited; plan to hear them at AK Fest in 2012. If they get me closer to the SoundScape's sound I'll pull the trigger. I'll likely opt for the Philly 2's since I'm in love with the RAAL tweeter and don't need the added bass extension of the Philly 3's (I have a great subwoofer). My "journey" seems to never end.
post #135 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

We are well, thank you. I hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving!

The Phil's are getting me very excited; plan to hear them at AK Fest in 2012. If they get me closer to the SoundScape's sound I'll pull the trigger. I'll likely opt for the Philly 2's since I'm in love with the RAAL tweeter and don't need the added bass extension of the Philly 3's (I have a great subwoofer). My "journey" seems to never end.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with our Virginia family.

There is no doubt they will get one closer to the SSs. I am excited to get them, but patience is the key and lately I am patient.. Also excited about the monitors too. So I will be experiencing the RAAL and the fountek.

Dennis is suppose to pick the enclosures this week for more tweeking in the .75 size and is working on all the crossovers as we speak.

So, I am getting closer to World Class Speakers. YAH!!!!!

And.....Philly I and IIs are due in tomorrow.....fingers crossed <(^^,)>
post #136 of 4611
Got my set of Phil 3 from Dennis right before Thanksgiving --which has been torture with all the family travel and then working all but 1 day since no time to spend with the new kids (poor me I know ) First of all Dennis is the most professional guy I have dealt with, Secondly these are gorgeous speakers--even though I just got standard satin black vs any veneer.
Kidded Dennis that he wasn't kidding on the bass these put out. They really go DEEP, I felt the low end in my seat 14 feet away with the sound pretty low. His demo CD was also an excellent tool to allow you to listen to a wide range of music vocals and instruments and show how truly excellent these speakers are. Will try and do evaluation sometime here but December not the easiest for that time wise. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend these to anyone who might be sitting on the fence. Outstanding performers and best bang for your buck I have heard bar none.
greg
post #137 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Got my set of Phil 3 from Dennis right before Thanksgiving --which has been torture with all the family travel and then working all but 1 day since no time to spend with the new kids (poor me I know ) First of all Dennis is the most professional guy I have dealt with, Secondly these are gorgeous speakers--even though I just got standard satin black vs any veneer.
Kidded Dennis that he wasn't kidding on the bass these put out. They really go DEEP, I felt the low end in my seat 14 feet away with the sound pretty low. His demo CD was also an excellent tool to allow you to listen to a wide range of music vocals and instruments and show how truly excellent these speakers are. Will try and do evaluation sometime here but December not the easiest for that time wise. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend these to anyone who might be sitting on the fence. Outstanding performers and best bang for your buck I have heard bar none.
greg

Dennis is a great guy!

Happy listening!!!

Congrats my friend!
post #138 of 4611
Thread Starter 
Congrats Greg.

Hope you get many years of great sound out of them.

James
post #139 of 4611
How much do the Philharmonic Monitors run? How do they sound compared to the CAOW1 or MBOW1?
post #140 of 4611
First, Congratulations, Greg, glad to hear you are enjoying your IIIs, and I agree with you wholeheartly!.

Ster3ohead.....I do own the CAOW1s and I will be getting the Monitor IIs from Dennis and I can do a comparison review. You would need to email Dennis for a price quote for a pair.

To be honest I have never heard the Monitor I or II, that is how much I trust Dennis, (scary isn't it). Solely my purchase is based on a review and what Dennis has told me about them. I want more bass, which the 7" Seas should provide and a better tweet like the Fountek, which is more airy than the OW2s. And a larger enclosure should produce the better lows.

I am looking forward to the speakers and they could be ready for pickup next weekend.
post #141 of 4611
^ very nice! I look forward to your comparison.
post #142 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Got my set of Phil 3 from Dennis right before Thanksgiving --which has been torture with all the family travel and then working all but 1 day since no time to spend with the new kids (poor me I know ) First of all Dennis is the most professional guy I have dealt with, Secondly these are gorgeous speakers--even though I just got standard satin black vs any veneer.
Kidded Dennis that he wasn't kidding on the bass these put out. They really go DEEP, I felt the low end in my seat 14 feet away with the sound pretty low. His demo CD was also an excellent tool to allow you to listen to a wide range of music vocals and instruments and show how truly excellent these speakers are. Will try and do evaluation sometime here but December not the easiest for that time wise. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend these to anyone who might be sitting on the fence. Outstanding performers and best bang for your buck I have heard bar none.
greg

ay i ask, what is your room dimension, particularly your listen distance from wall to wall. Thank you.
post #143 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Got my set of Phil 3 from Dennis right before Thanksgiving --which has been torture with all the family travel and then working all but 1 day since no time to spend with the new kids (poor me I know ) First of all Dennis is the most professional guy I have dealt with, Secondly these are gorgeous speakers--even though I just got standard satin black vs any veneer.
Kidded Dennis that he wasn't kidding on the bass these put out. They really go DEEP, I felt the low end in my seat 14 feet away with the sound pretty low. His demo CD was also an excellent tool to allow you to listen to a wide range of music vocals and instruments and show how truly excellent these speakers are. Will try and do evaluation sometime here but December not the easiest for that time wise. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recomend these to anyone who might be sitting on the fence. Outstanding performers and best bang for your buck I have heard bar none.
greg

Congratulations.

My Philharmonic 3 set should be all decked out with red stained mahogany + hand sanded to high-gloss finish + grills for full front, rear, and even the TL bass ports.

Mine will take a lot longer to finish due to all that extra work.
post #144 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

First, Congratulations, Greg, glad to hear you are enjoying your IIIs, and I agree with you wholeheartly!.

Ster3ohead.....I do own the CAOW1s and I will be getting the Monitor IIs from Dennis and I can do a comparison review. You would need to email Dennis for a price quote for a pair.

To be honest I have never heard the Monitor I or II, that is how much I trust Dennis, (scary isn't it). Solely my purchase is based on a review and what Dennis has told me about them. I want more bass, which the 7" Seas should provide and a better tweet like the Fountek, which is more airy than the OW2s. And a larger enclosure should produce the better lows.

I am looking forward to the speakers and they could be ready for pickup next weekend.

How much are the Philharmonic monitor I & II?

What is the size difference between them?

Driver difference?
post #145 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

How much are the Philharmonic monitor I & II?

What is the size difference between them?

Driver difference?


Hi There's no difference in the drivers--each uses the Fountek tweeter in the Phil I + a Seas ER18 woofer. The only difference is the size of the cabinet (.5 cu ft vs. .75 cu ft) and an associated tweaking of the crossover. The price isn't firm yet, but it should be around $800/pr for the smaller version, and $900 for the larger.
post #146 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

ay i ask, what is your room dimension, particularly your listen distance from wall to wall. Thank you.

Room is around 19 ft wide by 24 feet long by 7.5 feet high (darn 30 yr old besements and the low ceiling) Front seats at 13.5 feet or so from screen wall and rear seats at about 16.5-17 feet I think. Tyler Linbrook
Signatures sat 4.5 feet in from sidewalls and 26 inches out from screen wall so just put Philharmonic 3s in the same spot --may fool around with it at some point but sound great so far. Room is treated w/bass trapping and panels for reflection points (maybe too much I sometimes think) so tuned to sound good within the dimension limitations.
Greg
post #147 of 4611
Hey guys, just got off the phone with Dennis. Professional who knows his stuff. I've been looking to spend 10k on speakers, but after careful consideration and reading AVS for the last few years, I've decided on the Phil 2s. 2k for 10k speakers created by one of the best designers in the world. They will be used exclusively in my 2 channel rig backed by a Bryston 4BSST2, Benchmark DAC1 and YBA transport.
post #148 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyfun View Post

Room is around 19 ft wide by 24 feet long by 7.5 feet high (darn 30 yr old besements and the low ceiling) Front seats at 13.5 feet or so from screen wall and rear seats at about 16.5-17 feet I think. Tyler Linbrook
Signatures sat 4.5 feet in from sidewalls and 26 inches out from screen wall so just put Philharmonic 3s in the same spot --may fool around with it at some point but sound great so far. Room is treated w/bass trapping and panels for reflection points (maybe too much I sometimes think) so tuned to sound good within the dimension limitations.
Greg

Would you say the Phil's outperform the Tylers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Dennis. Professional who knows his stuff. I've been looking to spend 10k on speakers, but after careful consideration and reading AVS for the last few years, I've decided on the Phil 2s. 2k for 10k speakers created by one of the best designers in the world. They will be used exclusively in my 2 channel rig backed by a Bryston 4BSST2, Benchmark DAC1 and YBA transport.

You are one lucky man! Congratulations sir! I think you're going to love them!
post #149 of 4611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Dennis. Professional who knows his stuff. I've been looking to spend 10k on speakers, but after careful consideration and reading AVS for the last few years, I've decided on the Phil 2s. 2k for 10k speakers created by one of the best designers in the world. They will be used exclusively in my 2 channel rig backed by a Bryston 4BSST2, Benchmark DAC1 and YBA transport.

Ross,

Very nice to hear. Please keep us posted on how things go once they are setup and rocking.

James
post #150 of 4611
Thanks fellas.

The finish is inconsequential to me and so is bass below 31hz (since they are strictly for 2 ch. music and not of the organ type). My current Focal Electras are mainly black satin and they look fine. The Phil cabinets are made overseas but Dennis told me the mdf is better than what's used in n. america. Dennis stated that the major difference between the 2 and 3 is the bass driver and extension, but what I'm really yearning is SQ.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy