or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 2

post #31 of 4611
^^^^^^
Would they sell 3 of these?
post #32 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

^^^^^^
Would they sell 3 of these?

Hmmm. 3 what? Scan? SB? The answer is the same--yes.
post #33 of 4611
Hey Dennis, Glad to see interest in the threads about the newly created Phillys, well deserved. I was SOLD after hearing them at your home and then at CAF..... made me real excited, the style/finish, the SOUND, the BOLD detailed sound, the RAAL....AHHHHH, and the incredibly low reasonal price.... that one cannot pass up.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be hearing from me sooner than I originally thought.

R

Oh, yeah I am still enjoying my CAOW1s as well <(^^,)>
post #34 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hey Dennis, Glad to see interest in the threads about the newly created Phillys, well deserved. I was SOLD after hearing them at your home and then at CAF..... made me real excited, the style/finish, the SOUND, the BOLD detailed sound, the RAAL....AHHHHH, and the incredibly low reasonal price.... that one cannot pass up.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hopefully you will be hearing from me sooner than I originally thought.

R

Oh, yeah I am still enjoying my CAOW1s as well <(^^,)>

Hi Nice to hear from you again. Several orders for the Phil 3 (with the Scan revelator woofer) are being finished up now, and I hope to have a dedicated owners' forum up when there are actually some owners out there. The 1's and 2's, which use the outsourced cabinets, should be ready to roll by October.
post #35 of 4611
Congratulations on the Philharmonic 3s, they are the best!

Glad to hear of the forum, I feel sure it will be a real hit for the owners, the wantabe owners and the curious!

Have you got the 'extra' employees ready for October, think you are going to need them.

Best of luck, talk to you soon,

Robert
post #36 of 4611
Just to let everyone know I just pulled the plug on my set of Philharmonic IIs with the RAAL tweet and eventually the center.

Should be ready in October borrowing no shipping problems. And giving the distance, I will be able to pick them up when they are ready.

Excited,

Robert
post #37 of 4611
Thread Starter 
Robert,

Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to seeing how you like them. What center channel will you be getting since I do not see one on their page.

James
post #38 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Just to let everyone know I just pulled the plug on my set of Philharmonic IIs with the RAAL tweet and eventually the center.

Should be ready in October borrowing no shipping problems. And giving the distance, I will be able to pick them up when they are ready.

Excited,

Robert

Woohoo - that's great news, Robert. I am very excited for you. Which veneer did you choose?
post #39 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Robert,

Congrats on the purchase, I look forward to seeing how you like them. What center channel will you be getting since I do not see one on their page.

James

Hey James, and thanks, I have been looking forward to a set for a long time, well it seems very long for me as one has to ponder carefully of dropping 2K on something that is not digestible in this economy.

The center channel, I think will be 2 5" woofers, I think the (2) Seas Excel ER15RLY or something similar with a Fountek ribbon tweet. Dennis will correct me if I am wrong. I have the CAOW1s (see pic), and am very pleased with the sound and design.

Anyway, I trust Dennis completely as he is the designer and said that this version will work just fine. The RAAL and structure would be over the top in production and cost.

I am mainly interested in the IIs alone as I will listen to 2 channel in there.

I will definitely report back with pics too.

Robert
LL
post #40 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Woohoo - that's great news, Robert. I am very excited for you. Which veneer did you choose?

Brandon, Brandon.....how are you, long time no hear!!!!

You know me satin black, satin black, satin black!!!!

Has to match all of our furniture, blends in better that way as you may well know these thing are huge, did I say huge 21" deep, 11.5" wide and 41.5" high and I don't know how much they weigh. Glad they are in two pieces!!

I am excited that I finally made a decision. I flip flopped forever (as you may well know), but now I did it....unfortunately I have to wait some more, oh well good things comes to those who wait.

Dennis may have to hire someone to help him as I think there is no way he can keep up when his new Forum is up and running. His cabinet maker is already running behind and with the outsourced cabinets on their way, man they will all be sold out before they get here. Wish I lived closer I would enjoy speaker building.

I have become a tube head as well. He He!!! So I think these Phillys will be fantastic with one of those.

So how is the family and the baby?

Robert
post #41 of 4611
Thread Starter 
I would love to hear a good Raal design since I have heard so many good things about them. My speakers have the NeoPro5's and most feel the Raal smokes it, just want to see for myself.

James
post #42 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

I would love to hear a good Raal design since I have heard so many good things about them. My speakers have the NeoPro5's and most feel the Raal smokes it, just want to see for myself.

James

James, the RAAL is considered one of the best. I am soon to find that out and I will let you know. I have heard the fountek and it is no looser-that is for sure.

The Hiquphon OW2 are in my bookshelves and they are very good as well.

The tweets that you have look very nice and the price is not cheap either.

Mr Nuance can also comment on the RAAL/fountek too.

And I would think Dennis would give you a 2 thumbs up with the RAAL!

R
post #43 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

The center channel, I think will be 2 5" woofers, I think the (2) Seas Excel ER15RLY or something similar with a Fountek ribbon tweet. Dennis will correct me if I am wrong. I have the CAOW1s (see pic), and am very pleased with the sound and design.

Robert

I have a center design that uses two 5" SB Acoustics woofers with the Fountek tweet and a single front mounted slot port. It's about the same size as the Salk Song Center. The cabinets are just going into production, so it will be awhile. I don't have a version with the RAAL yet because it needs to be crossed higher that I like to run the woofers in a 2-way. I would have to switch to a WMTW configuration with the RAAL, and it would end up being very expensive. I'll see how people like the mtm center.
post #44 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
Brandon, Brandon.....how are you, long time no hear!!!!

You know me satin black, satin black, satin black!!!!

Has to match all of our furniture, blends in better that way as you may well know these thing are huge, did I say huge 21" deep, 11.5" wide and 41.5" high and I don't know how much they weigh. Glad they are in two pieces!!

I am excited that I finally made a decision. I flip flopped forever (as you may well know), but now I did it....unfortunately I have to wait some more, oh well good things comes to those who wait.

Dennis may have to hire someone to help him as I think there is no way he can keep up when his new Forum is up and running. His cabinet maker is already running behind and with the outsourced cabinets on their way, man they will all be sold out before they get here. Wish I lived closer I would enjoy speaker building.

I have become a tube head as well. He He!!! So I think these Phillys will be fantastic with one of those.

So how is the family and the baby?

Robert
Right on, right on.

The family and I are well, thank you. The baby is now one years old - WOW! That flew by too fast!!! How have you been buddy?
post #45 of 4611
Thread Starter 
Dennis,

Just a quick question for you, on all three sets of the Philharmonics; it is mentioned that they use an open back upper cabinet. With this, do you recommend these be placed a certain distance away from the back wall?

I was just wondering in case someone else had this question and maybe a bit hesitant to ask. Thanks.

James
post #46 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post
Dennis,

Just a quick question for you, on all three sets of the Philharmonics; it is mentioned that they use an open back upper cabinet. With this, do you recommend these be placed a certain distance away from the back wall?

I was just wondering in case someone else had this question and maybe a bit hesitant to ask. Thanks.

James
Good question.
post #47 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
Good question.
Well, let's see if I have a good answer. The upper module is about one foot shorter than the bass module (the back of the upper cabinet is actually sloped, so the distance varies from 10" to 13"). That means you could slam the bass cabinet smack against a wall and still leave some breathing room for the rear wave. That's not optimal, but it wouldn't be a show stopper either. You would still get some added depth and ambiance from the backwave. I have my bass cabinets about 1.5 ft from the rear wall, and that's plenty. I would also note that the termination of the transmission line is on top of the bass cabinet, so placing the rear of the cabinet against or near a wall won't choke it off or cause boominess.
post #48 of 4611
Thread Starter 
Thank you Dennis.

James
post #49 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, let's see if I have a good answer. The upper module is about one foot shorter than the bass module (the back of the upper cabinet is actually sloped, so the distance varies from 10" to 13"). That means you could slam the bass cabinet smack against a wall and still leave some breathing room for the rear wave. That's not optimal, but it wouldn't be a show stopper either. You would still get some added depth and ambiance from the backwave. I have my bass cabinets about 1.5 ft from the rear wall, and that's plenty. I would also note that the termination of the transmission line is on top of the bass cabinet, so placing the rear of the cabinet against or near a wall won't choke it off or cause boominess.
Dennis, thanks.
When you say the termination is on the top of the base cabinet, do you mean the top panel of the base cabinet?
Also, I noticed between 200-300hz on axis FR, there is a valey in this area or a drop in db. What does that translate in term of sound? My Songtower seems to be in the opposite, where in this area there is a lift.

Thanks
post #50 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

Dennis, thanks.
When you say the termination is on the top of the base cabinet, do you mean the top panel of the base cabinet?
Also, I noticed between 200-300hz on axis FR, there is a valey in this area or a drop in db. What does that translate in term of sound? My Songtower seems to be in the opposite, where in this area there is a lift.

Thanks

The slot termination is on the top panel of the bass unit at the back--behind the upper module. You can see it looking down at the speaker. It's not on the back panel. As for the FR, I take it you'e referring to the Phil 1, because I don't see anything like tha on the Phil 3. There are a couple of things to keep in mind regarding these measurements. First, they are made on the tweeter axis at just a little over 1 meter, which is maybe 1/3 of the normal listening distance. Second, my Praxis program shifts over from a purely anechoic measurement (with no contribution from room reflections) to a room measurement at around 250 Hz on down. So at that point you start to see what the environment is doing to the response. The area from 100 Hz to around 250 Hz will be affected by floor bounce cancellation from the woofer. The woofer sound waves hit the floor and bounce back out of phase. The exact area of cancellation will depend on the distance of the woofer to the floor, and the measurement distance. The Phil 2 woofer is about 2" closer to the floor than the Phil 3's, and this apparently shifts the area of cancellation up a little. But keep in mind that the distance of the woofer to the mic is much greater relative to the tweeter at one meter than it will be at a normal listening distance. It's very controversial whether the ear actually hears any of the floor cancellation effect at a normal listening distance. In any event, there's nothing to be done about it unless you move the woover to floor level, which has problems of its own. The point source of the SongTower's woofers is at the tweeter level--that's where the output of the two woofers combines, and it's much higher than the woofer location of the Philharmonics. That shifts the cancellation point down. I've tried to attach a plot of the ST showing the response all the the way down to 20 Hz.
You can see the deep cancellation notch, which will also be present on any other MTM tower.
LL
post #51 of 4611
Ooops. That was a center channel I'm working on, although it makes the point. Here's the plot I meant to show of the ST.
LL
post #52 of 4611
Thank you Dennis
post #53 of 4611
Well said, Dennis.
post #54 of 4611
Anyone hear these bad boys?
post #55 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

Anyone hear these bad boys?

If so, it would have to have been at the Capital Audio Show or in my living room. The first Phil3 will be going out to a customer next weekend, with several more close behind. So hopefully we'll get some feedback before the leaves fall.
post #56 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post


If so, it would have to have been at the Capital Audio Show or in my living room. The first Phil3 will be going out to a customer next weekend, with several more close behind. So hopefully we'll get some feedback before the leaves fall.

How much is shipping to 91311?
post #57 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post
How much is shipping to 91311?
A lot less than to Brazil. That's where the 6th pair is headed. And maybe a pair to Australia. So I think we can handle Chatsworth without too much financial damage. Ooops. I should never say damage.
post #58 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy

A lot less than to Brazil. That's where the 6th pair is headed. And maybe a pair to Australia. So I think we can handle Chatsworth without too much financial damage. Ooops. I should never say damage.
I suppose we could
post #59 of 4611
I just saw this last night and wanted to say congratulations Dennis!
This is one hell-of-a "retirement" project
I think you just launched the best deal in Audio!
The 3's seem like they would have completed my "Speakerquest" and stayed within my original budget! (edit: okay, well at least under my secondary budget)
Can't wait to hear a pair, I really like the idea of an open back planar mid, seems like the perfect application for that technology.
I wish you all the luck in the world with this endeavor.
Cheers
post #60 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

I just saw this last night and wanted to say congratulations Dennis!
This is one hell-of-a "retirement" project
I think you just launched the best deal in Audio!
The 3's seem like they would have completed my "Speakerquest" and stayed within my original budget! (edit: okay, well at least under my secondary budget)
Can't wait to hear a pair, I really like the idea of an open back planar mid, seems like the perfect application for that technology.
I wish you all the luck in the world with this endeavor.
Cheers

Thanks Funmeister! I think the closest order I have to you is in Vancouver, so it may be awhile before you hear these puppies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy