or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 115

post #3421 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

OK--I can do it if I right click on "quote" and open from the menu.

Seems to be working fine from this end.

Don't you just love computer crap. wink.gif
post #3422 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I tried both toe in and straight on with the 2's I had. I found the imaging to be better with the speakers shooting straight. That was the first time I've ever preferred speakers not toed in FWIW.

That makes sense. Shooting straight out means the first reflection is extremely similar to the direct sound. When you toe-in, you lose some midrange and HF balance.
post #3423 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Well, I'd like to be about 12 feet away from the speakers with a minimum of 2 feet behind and probably 4 feet on either side. I'd have to sketch something out to get a good handle on the exact dimensions, but right now everything is a bit cramped. My entertainment stand is about 6ft wide and I'd like to give ~1 foot in between the speakers and the stand. So maybe something like 20+ feet on the wall all that stuff would be on. Then ~2+ feet from the back wall and another 10-12ish feet from the front of the speakers. Now the only issue you could run into is a very large room and if the Phils can be driven to a level that is acceptable to the listener. So you want space behind the couch as well since you don't want the listening position right up against the back wall, so I have 20 X 24 X 8 = 3840 feet cubed. I think the Phils could handle this, but that sub's would probably be needed, well at least for me.
Don't get me wrong, this is something like my dream room. Even in this cramped space I've had two guys come over so far and just love how they sound. I love how they sound. I still don't think they're even 100% as they are now. I just haven't had a couple days to really get them zeroed in. Even though I only have experience with them in my room and my space, I can see how they would be versatile in a wide variety of rooms.

Thanks Alex, that is a dream room, I'm limited to a 14' W X 25' L X 8' H, I think the Phils will be OK in that room, I wish I had a bit more width though. Thanks buddy.
Jeff
post #3424 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

That makes sense. Shooting straight out means the first reflection is extremely similar to the direct sound. When you toe-in, you lose some midrange and HF balance.

I'm going to toe in as Dennis has said since I am nearfield.
post #3425 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Thanks Alex, that is a dream room, I'm limited to a 14' W X 25' L X 8' H, I think the Phils will be OK in that room, I wish I had a bit more width though. Thanks buddy.
Jeff

I have mine in a 12x12 room and they sound fabulous, and now with some toe in...
post #3426 of 4614
Mine are in my 20 x 25 x 7.75 room with me about 12 ft from the mains which are 12 ft apart and seem to go plenty loud for me biggrin.gif Also sound very very darned good in there--although room may be over treated (per one calibration professional and I kinda agree)despite 'professional' treatment design by another person---oh the world of audio. My main problem is finding enough time to enjoy these works of audio art. Have tried both toe in and other and not sure I really notice much difference.
G
post #3427 of 4614

Hi All,

 

I'm another lurker, soon to be Phil owner.  It seems the hardest part in becoming an owner was reading through this ENTIRE thread.  I think I started a year ago ..  ;-)

 

Anyway, I heard from Dennis that my Phil-2s should ship next week.  

Phil-2 because of availability, as the queue for the Phil-3 is long and I've been patiently waiting for this upgrade for MANY MANY years - WAF factor, amongst other things.

 

Other than 5.1 some # of years ago when I bought my first Samsung DLP (only 1080i was available!) I have not put much effort into home listening (fortunately I have *great* friends that have picked up the slack here).  I put a LOT of effort (too much probably) into my commute vehicles (Dynaudio drivers, Butler Tube Driver amps, sub, hi-end head unit dujour - another story).  The last pair of Monitors I purchased (besides stuff for around house, Sonos+Paradigm Atom) are KEF-104 a/b - older than my sons.  

When I still had the DLP in-play (until 3 months ago), it and the KEFs were in the right hand corner of this room as I was not " .. allowed to block the window."  The sound quality can not be described in polite terms.  This year "we" came to a mutual agreement to upgrade the whole lot - A and V and it was actually my (truly!) wonderful spouse that suggested a projector (Epson 5010).  Suddenly the ".. block the window" issue is moot as the screen is only deployed as needed.  Curtains and valances are being designed (not finished, but in place).  Speakers can finally be located in the "correct part of the room!   Life is good!

 

I mentioned the Sonos.  In my "ramp up" to a complete AV upgrade I have for quite sometime been moving all media to a server (i.e. NAS)  The machine itself is a hand-me-down i5 quad core PC with 4-3TB disks in a Raid configuration.  The net available storage is just under 10T.  (Note:  I've been a professional computer/network geek for > 30 yrs)  The house has been newly upgraded to GigE hardwired so all components have maximal bandwidth.  The NAS serves as storage and backup for PCs and MACs, and more importantly as AV streaming to: 2 Sonus Zoneplayers (Kitchen and Office) using SMB/CIFS protocol, a Boxee Box (HDMI to the Epson) NFS protocol, Apple-TV (living room) via AFS protocol, an Oppo BD-95 (HDMI to Epson, XLR to Amp) using UPnP/DLNA protocol, and finally a MACBOOK Pro (USB 2.0 to DAC-RCA to amp) to Amp in the media room (and the Subject before us--this and the Oppo).  The room itself (see the "before" picture below) is the bonus room over an entire 2 car garage.  The screen for the projector is 100" for scale.

 

1000

 

The NAS includes a large quantity of 24bit content (up 192 Khz) with all of my SACD collection ripped to ISO via a PlayStation3.  I never touch plastic anymore (and although vinyl is better, 24bit is not too bad ..).  The ".flac" files and ISOs on the NAS can be selected via my iPhone and played directly via the MAC+DAC or Oppo.  Nirvana!  (who BTW sound GREAT in 24bit/96khz)  Content is very random - Classical, Jazz, old raunch and roll, new age - you name it.

 

The new amplifier I'll be trying the Phils with is a Wyred4Sound STI-1000 - rated at 1KW into 8 ohms - should be interesting.  It makes those ancient KEFs sound amazing, can't wait for the Phils.  The last bit is a home-built (CAD designed) ported sub in the room's left corner just to shake the room a bit for movies - which is why I eventually want the Phil-3.  The sub is just junk for effects, real listening will be strictly 2 channel, 2 monitors

 

Well, that's all the news today from Apex, NC (Raleigh area).  I'll be more than happy to entertain guests that are interested in the Phils and would like to critique the setup.  I haven't even begun to think about room treatments (nor begun the WAF negotiations).  Dennis is free to post anything about what I'm buying, performance data, etc.  I promised him that I'd be happy to demo the Phils, and I will be selling the Phil-2s when the 3s are in-place.  I've exchanged emails with Delmond about the Phil-3 finish: nothing fancy, black stain, as this room is just a working office, guest room, Media place and potential studio apartment if I get into trouble.

 

Cheers!

Frank

post #3428 of 4614
Congratulations and have fun!
post #3429 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I tried both toe in and straight on with the 2's I had. I found the imaging to be better with the speakers shooting straight. That was the first time I've ever preferred speakers not toed in FWIW.


I had to toe in my old speakers pretty hard...Phil 2s can be straight in the same room.

Just redid my carpet...so I got the joy of ripping my theater room out and putting it back...
post #3430 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

I had to toe in my old speakers pretty hard...Phil 2s can be straight in the same room.
Just redid my carpet...so I got the joy of ripping my theater room out and putting it back...

If you check out the off axis responses of the Phil's you see that they remain amazingly flat off axis, which is the reason no toe in is necessary. I'm often way off axis and I only notice minimal differences from being on axis.
post #3431 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

If you check out the off axis responses of the Phil's you see that they remain amazingly flat off axis, which is the reason no toe in is necessary. I'm often way off axis and I only notice minimal differences from being on axis.


And I recently tweaked the Phil 3 crossover to eliminate what little off-axis flare there was in the mid-treble. You can see the new measurements on the Phil 3 page, which extend to 60 degrees off-axis.
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonicaudio/philpages/floorstanding.html

Can I hear a difference? Nope. But hopefully
this will get the Uniform Directivity Devotees off of my back.
post #3432 of 4614
Would it be fair to say, Dennis, that you've made a technical improvement then?
post #3433 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Would it be fair to say, Dennis, that you've made a technical improvement then?

Not really. I was just able to isolate a component value that needed to be increased a little for picture perfect results.
post #3434 of 4614
Would you say then that the results are more in line with what Harmon has been advocating?
post #3435 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Would you say then that the results are more in line with what Harmon has been advocating?

Yes, but there really wasn't an audible problem to be fixed in the case of the 3. Anyhow, I'm about to be hit by a major hurricane--I'm more concerned about getting bonkd by a tree than a tiny bump at 2.9 kHz 40 degrees off axis. Priorities priorities.
post #3436 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Anyhow, I'm about to be hit by a major hurricane--I'm more concerned about getting bonkd by a tree than a tiny bump at 2.9 kHz 40 degrees off axis. Priorities priorities.
Stay safe and good luck!
post #3437 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Not really. I was just able to isolate a component value that needed to be increased a little for picture perfect results.


What process did you go through to isolate the component?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yes, but there really wasn't an audible problem to be fixed in the case of the 3. Anyhow, I'm about to be hit by a major hurricane--I'm more concerned about getting bonkd by a tree than a tiny bump at 2.9 kHz 40 degrees off axis. Priorities priorities.

Stay safe, Dennis!!
post #3438 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Stay safe and good luck!

Yes, please be safe, Dennis. We're praying for you and everyone on the East coast! Stay well my friend.
post #3439 of 4614
Thanks. So far so good. The worst is just hitting--70 mph gusts and lots of horizontal rain. If the trees stay put for another 3 hours, the Philharmonic studios may make it.
post #3440 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Thanks. So far so good. The worst is just hitting--70 mph gusts and lots of horizontal rain. If the trees stay put for another 3 hours, the Philharmonic studios may make it.
Yikes! All my best wishes to making it safely through the storm.



Max
post #3441 of 4614
How you doing, Dennis?? Still doing alright?
post #3442 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

How you doing, Dennis?? Still doing alright?

Yes, thanks very much. Sandy's backside was more rain tham wind. I live about 300 feet above the Potomac, so no problem there. Now it's back to work. I've finalized the design for the floorstander--I just have to get a prototype made.
post #3443 of 4614

Great news!  Vertical trees good, horizontal trees bad.

post #3444 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yes, thanks very much. Sandy's backside was more rain tham wind. I live about 300 feet above the Potomac, so no problem there. Now it's back to work. I've finalized the design for the floorstander--I just have to get a prototype made.

Just let me know if you...you know, you need a beta tester or anything. I suppose I could block out some time to test it for you. biggrin.gif



I am glad to hear you're okay, Dennis.
post #3445 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Just let me know if you...you know, you need a beta tester or anything. I suppose I could block out some time to test it for you. biggrin.gif

I am glad to hear you're okay, Dennis.


Howdy I'll probably take you up on that offer. Don't want to launch these things witihout a proper Beta test.
post #3446 of 4614
Any chance you need more than one wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Oh yea glad to hear you're still alive and that Philharmonic Audio lives smile.gif
post #3447 of 4614
You could do a "road show" with them similar to what AJ did with the soundfield monitor 1's. Let each person pay for shipping to them and they can circulate around a bit for multiple people to try them.
post #3448 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Howdy I'll probably take you up on that offer. Don't want to launch these things witihout a proper Beta test.

I was totally kidding, but heck yes - I'd love to help out by beta testing! Wow - now I'm really excited! biggrin.gif
post #3449 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I was totally kidding, but heck yes - I'd love to help out by beta testing! Wow - now I'm really excited! biggrin.gif

Well, don't get too excited. It's gong to be awhile. And you'll get ugly raw mdf cabinets, probably with some dog hairs hanging from them.
post #3450 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Well, don't get too excited. It's gong to be awhile. And you'll get ugly raw mdf cabinets, probably with some dog hairs hanging from them.

I'm a patient dude. biggrin.gif Seriously, though, I look forward to hearing them, and it's my honor and pleasure to do this for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy