or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 116

post #3451 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yes, thanks very much. Sandy's backside was more rain tham wind. I live about 300 feet above the Potomac, so no problem there. Now it's back to work. I've finalized the design for the floorstander--I just have to get a prototype made.

Glad to hear you faired well. Our neighborhood was fine but many low areas around here (SE VA) flooded. Fortunately, power outages were limited down here (we didn't lose power).

My thoughts are with those who weren't so lucky.
post #3452 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Glad to hear you faired well. Our neighborhood was fine but many low areas around here (SE VA) flooded. Fortunately, power outages were limited down here (we didn't lose power).
My t
houghts are with those who weren't so lucky.

My sentiments exactly my friend, we dug in here in Pa, but thank God all we had was a lot of rain, others not so fortunate, my prayers and thoughts go out to all involved.
Cheers Jeff
post #3453 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Well, don't get too excited. It's gong to be awhile. And you'll get ugly raw mdf cabinets, probably with some dog hairs hanging from them.

i think you need a "showroom" on this side of the country! =) my apartment would serve that purpose well - lots of open space to house some speakers in case anyone in cali is interested in hearing them. whaddaya say? =)
post #3454 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

i think you need a "showroom" on this side of the country! =) my apartment would serve that purpose well - lots of open space to house some speakers in case anyone in cali is interested in hearing them. whaddaya say? =)

I say I better get these approved by Nuance before I start setting up a jive turkey dealer network.
post #3455 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

a jive turkey dealer network.

Is there any other kind?
post #3456 of 4611
For anybody out there who is looking for a center to go with their Phils, I highly recommend the Salk Songcenter. Jim was even able to perfectly match the grills I had on my Phils.

DSCN0177-1.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0179-1.jpg

Untitledcopy2.jpg
post #3457 of 4611
^That looks great; your entire system does I mean. Congrats on adding the final piece (or is it? smile.gif).
post #3458 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^That looks great; your entire system does I mean. Congrats on adding the final piece (or is it? smile.gif).

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment after all the work that's gone (mine, my friend's, Dennis', Del's and Jim's that is) into it. Funny you should say that last bit because this month should see me adding the final pieces......well most of them anyways. Anyways, by the 23rd or so my face should look a lot like this biggrin.gif
post #3459 of 4611
Quote:
Philharmonic Audio: Philharmonic speakers use high quality drivers and parts, but finding out pricing, shipping, warranty, trial period, and ordering information was quite a chore. Fortunately, they got back to us about our inquiry very promptly and thoroughly (which we thank them for). It turns out that they don’t offer written return or warranty information. They went on to say that they will fix most anything for at least two years, assuming no obvious damage has been done to the product. They offer a 14 day return policy but shipping must be paid by the customer. Shipping to Kansas would run about $175, so expect a similar fee in the rest of the US. Standard finishes are straight cherry, mahogany, walnut, and maple. Premium finishes are available but prices vary. What is great about working with companies like Philharmonic is that you can call them up and talk to them about what you want and they will work with you to customize a speaker for your exact needs. Keep in mind though, customization can add up quickly and that without a written policy you don't have anything to fall back on. It's relevant to note the Philharmonic Audio products offer premium drivers with cast baskets and vented pole pieces as well as air core inductors and polypropylene capacitors for critical circuit components. They even offer speakers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter which is a favorite among Audiophiles. A final note about philharmonic is that they donate $50 to the Washington Philharmonic Orchestra for every speaker they sell, a very cool way of giving back to the community and a gesture we commend them for.

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/internet-direct-comparison

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #3460 of 4611
I think more emphasis should be given to how much Dennis is willing to work with people that experience issues, but then again I'm a bit biased biggrin.gif
post #3461 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

I think more emphasis should be given to how much Dennis is willing to work with people that experience issues, but then again I'm a bit biased biggrin.gif

I can see that biggrin.gif, you have every reason to be biased. Alex is the weight of your display being supported by the CC, which looks real nice, the tweets are almost all parallel aligned.wink.gif I have a gut feeling about the biggrin.gif on your face with your next addition to your equipment list.........smile.gif
Cheers Jeff
post #3462 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

I can see that biggrin.gif, you have every reason to be biased. Alex is the weight of your display being supported by the CC, which looks real nice, the tweets are almost all parallel aligned.wink.gif I have a gut feeling about the biggrin.gif on your face with your next addition to your equipment list.........smile.gif
Cheers Jeff

Thankee kindly.

No the TV is actually on a pivoting/extending wall mount. So the entertainment stand was made to both accomodate my current equipment, guard against any upgrades I may do to the best of my forethought, and also to align nearly any horizontally aligned center I could get as close to parallel with the tweeters of the Phils. Likewise, the TV was mounted on the wall to fit the largest center I was considering getting. It just so happens the center I ended up getting was a little shorter than that, but only by about an inch so when I pull the TV out from the wall it seems like it's floating above the center. A pretty cool effect that I can chalk up to happy coincidence.

I consider the additions to come a bit of a curveball biggrin.gif but what's your gut feeling??? Now I'm curious smile.gif
post #3463 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

Thankee kindly.
No the TV is actually on a pivoting/extending wall mount. So the entertainment stand was made to both accomodate my current equipment, guard against any upgrades I may do to the best of my forethought, and also to align nearly any horizontally aligned center I could get as close to parallel with the tweeters of the Phils. Likewise, the TV was mounted on the wall to fit the largest center I was considering getting. It just so happens the center I ended up getting was a little shorter than that, but only by about an inch so when I pull the TV out from the wall it seems like it's floating above the center. A pretty cool effect that I can chalk up to happy coincidence.
I consider the additions to come a bit of a curveball biggrin.gif but what's your gut feeling??? Now I'm curious smile.gif

Nice concept.....I noticed the tweets alignment right away:) I'm leaning towards a sub and amp or both..............wink.gif
post #3464 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Nice concept.....I noticed the tweets alignment right away:) I'm leaning towards a sub and amp or both..............wink.gif

Glad the planning didn't go unnoticed biggrin.gif

Neither eek.gif

Well.....that's not entirely true because I've been waiting on a subwoofer I ordered about two months ago so theres a chance that it could show up (raw driver no box), but because it wont' be a finished product it's not what I'm referencing vaguely. tongue.gif

I won't keep you hanging, but I'll only post pictures here if I can get some good shots of the whole system. Don't want to turn this thread into my own personal gallery. wink.gif
post #3465 of 4611
MUST KNOW WHAT FUZZ IS ADDING...eek.gif
post #3466 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

MUST KNOW WHAT FUZZ IS ADDING...eek.gif

So many possibilities......

There's also a fair chance the manufacturer of said items is unknown to most. They are pretty darn awesome, I'll tell you that. Interesting designs as well. I think these additions may take me from a "good" system to a "very good" or "great" system. So excited biggrin.gif:D
post #3467 of 4611
What sub did you buy?
post #3468 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

What sub did you buy?

I got a custom pierce audio 1K driver with kevlar cone, 18". I talked with Paul and was actually looking at the 6K, but he recommended the 1K because I want to stay sealed for this build. He also recommended I go with the kevlar becasue he said it would provide the best balance for HT and music rather than go with an aluminum cone. The problem has been getting the kevlar cones. They're stuck at the warehouse awaiting paperwork.

This is the home page and if you scroll down you can see a good shot of what the cones look like.
http://www.pierceaudioproducts.com

theJman did a review on the simply sound rhumba, which uses a pierce driver. I was pretty impressed with the review so I thought I'd give them a shot over AE, Fi, RE, or TC Sounds.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-reviews/57626-simply-sound-audio-rumba-12-subwoofer-review.html
post #3469 of 4611
So what are you referencing vaguely?
post #3470 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

He also recommended I go with the Kevlar because he said it would provide the best balance for HT and music rather than go with an aluminum cone.

What benefit does Kevlar have over Aluminum as far as subwoofers are concerned? At low frequencies an 18" Kevlar/Aluminum cone won't go through breakup.....will it?? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #3471 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

So what are you referencing vaguely?

A couple purchases I made. I'm still waiting to make sure everything turns out aces before I jinx myself. Just got my fingers crossed at this point, but hopefully they end up looking and performing awesome. I just don't want to share a possible disappointment at his point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

What benefit does Kevlar have over Aluminum as far as subwoofers are concerned? At low frequencies an 18" Kevlar/Aluminum cone won't go through breakup.....will it?? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I'd have to ask Paul to get the exact reasons why he recommended. From what he was saying to me it had to do with cost and he seemed to hint that the aluminum wasn't considered to be as musical. He never said that outright, and it may just be subjective opinions, but that's the impression I got from our e-mails. This isn't to say he hasn't made aluminum cone subwoofers before, but he's usually labeled them as HT.
post #3472 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

I'd have to ask Paul to get the exact reasons why he recommended. From what he was saying to me it had to do with cost and he seemed to hint that the aluminum wasn't considered to be as musical. He never said that outright, and it may just be subjective opinions, but that's the impression I got from our e-mails. This isn't to say he hasn't made aluminum cone subwoofers before, but he's usually labeled them as HT.

Subwoofers aren't musical or non-musical (although I understand what he was saying) they are accurate or not-so-accurate. :P

The Kevlar could be more sensitive than the Al which would most definitely be a plus!! biggrin.gif

http://www.data-bass.com/myths
post #3473 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

Subwoofers aren't musical or non-musical (although I understand what he was saying) they are accurate or not-so-accurate. :P
The Kevlar could be more sensitive than the Al which would most definitely be a plus!! biggrin.gif
http://www.data-bass.com/myths

I have read that. Again, his words, not mine biggrin.gif

I only saw the $$ instead of the $$$. Although now I seem to be wishing I had something, anything to show for the money spent. rolleyes.gif

Patience is a virtue...........and a real b!tch biggrin.gif
post #3474 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz092888 View Post

A couple purchases I made. I'm still waiting to make sure everything turns out aces before I jinx myself. Just got my fingers crossed at this point, but hopefully they end up looking and performing awesome. I just don't want to share a possible disappointment at his point.
I'd have to ask Paul to get the exact reasons why he recommended. From what he was saying to me it had to do with cost and he seemed to hint that the aluminum wasn't considered to be as musical. He never said that outright, and it may just be subjective opinions, but that's the impression I got from our e-mails. This isn't to say he hasn't made aluminum cone subwoofers before, but he's usually labeled them as HT.

That sounds dubious to say the least.
post #3475 of 4611
biggrin.gif Less dubious, more high expectations that I hope get met.
post #3476 of 4611
Well, to make you feel good..

a kevlar woofer with a powerful magnet behind it can often have a low Q and high upper bass efficiency. If the motor has the correct control over inductance and inductance variation, the crossover to the main speakers can be seemless.

... I still think aluminum is the optimum material for a subwoofer though. with the right voice coil former it can be used to sink away heat. And being heavier it requires less EQ for a flat response below 40hz On that part is just my lazyness bleeding through :P
post #3477 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Well, to make you feel good..
a kevlar woofer with a powerful magnet behind it can often have a low Q and high upper bass efficiency. If the motor has the correct control over inductance and inductance variation, the crossover to the main speakers can be seemless.
... I still think aluminum is the optimum material for a subwoofer though. with the right voice coil former it can be used to sink away heat. And being heavier it requires less EQ for a flat response below 40hz On that part is just my lazyness bleeding through :P

Well I hope so. I'd like to actually get the thing so I can start asking people like questions. Paul is providing the full specs with the sub and build plans so I want to get those up on AH probably and see what you guys think about it all. I would have loved to go have the option, but it would have ended up being a bit more than I'd like to spend at the moment, and like you said, with a bit more work it should work nearly as well. If this sub build turns out well, I'd probably add a few more which should help even bass response and keep me from pushing any of them into breakup.

I'll definitely be looking for you and TLS and anyone else for some confirmation/advice if it should ever arrive biggrin.gif
post #3478 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkish54 View Post

Subwoofers aren't musical or non-musical (although I understand what he was saying) they are accurate or not-so-accurate. :P
The Kevlar could be more sensitive than the Al which would most definitely be a plus!! biggrin.gif
http://www.data-bass.com/myths

^This. Cone material should not effect the sound, so Paul's claim that Kevlar sounds more musicial is suspicious to me. To each their own I suppose.

Fuzz, do you mind if I ask what the 1K driver costs?
post #3479 of 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^This. Cone material should not effect the sound, so Paul's claim that Kevlar sounds more musicial is suspicious to me. To each their own I suppose.
Fuzz, do you mind if I ask what the 1K driver costs?

I'm sure Paul could offer some sort of explanation, and I may even be misquoting him. I know theJman's review of the rhumba was pretty good and he's starting to get quite a few companies to send him some gear to review. Source technology sent him a sub to review and they don't really send anything out for review so he must be doing something right.

You sure can. The 1K is $350 + shipping and that price includes the interchangeability of a number of parts. You can either tell Paul exactly what you want and he'll build it for you completely custom, pick one of the models he has listed and swap certain parts for a number of other parts, or tell him your application and he can recommend using this or that.
post #3480 of 4611
^ Thanks buddy. I look forward to your impressions of the 1K.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy