or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 135

post #4021 of 4614
it's been quite a while since i've posted on this thread. maybe i've been too busy enjoying my philharmonitor 2s...i think that's the one i own, ha! here are a few pics of my simple setup. still thinking about buying a sub, but not ready to scratch that itch just yet.
here's a pic of my pup enjoying some yo-yo ma playing ennio with me:


here's a front view of my setup. all i have at this point is a oppo bdp-103 and a musical paradise 301 mk3 tube amp:


and a slightly closer view of the 6.5 wpc amp that more than adequately powers the monitors:


i wouldn't consider myself an "audiophile" - i just enjoy good music from good speakers. these monitor 2s have met all m expectations and then some. if these get moved to bedroom duties one day, i would have to take a long and hard look at the slims!
thanks dennis for your great work on all of our speakers!
post #4022 of 4614
^^^ Nice stands. cool.gif
post #4023 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

it's been quite a while since i've posted on this thread. maybe i've been too busy enjoying my philharmonitor 2s...i think that's the one i own, ha! here are a few pics of my simple setup. still thinking about buying a sub, but not ready to scratch that itch just yet.
here's a pic of my pup enjoying some yo-yo ma playing ennio with me:


here's a front view of my setup. all i have at this point is a oppo bdp-103 and a musical paradise 301 mk3 tube amp:


and a slightly closer view of the 6.5 wpc amp that more than adequately powers the monitors:


i wouldn't consider myself an "audiophile" - i just enjoy good music from good speakers. these monitor 2s have met all m expectations and then some. if these get moved to bedroom duties one day, i would have to take a long and hard look at the slims!
thanks dennis for your great work on all of our speakers!


Great to see they've found a good home. Thanks for the feedback.
post #4024 of 4614
thanks! they're actuall a pair of retro stools. i was afraid that the parts of the stool might vibrate, but i haven't found that to. e an issue, yet. i was thinking about putting some foam pads b/w yhe speakers and stools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

^^^ Nice stands. cool.gif
post #4025 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

thanks! they're actuall a pair of retro stools. i was afraid that the parts of the stool might vibrate, but i haven't found that to. e an issue, yet. i was thinking about putting some foam pads b/w yhe speakers and stools.

Looks like they make it easy to adjust height and toe in.
post #4026 of 4614
these speakers have been living in this home going on 7 months now, and have been thoroughly enjoyed! when i first ordered the monitor 2s, i had some reservations given the volume of the open space i've set them up in. the area of my living/dinig space is something like 27' x 20' with an 11' ceiling. to this day, my volume knob has never been at a listening level higher than 1/3rd of max. of course, off axis listening (having music play in the living area while we're eatig in the dinig area) is not ideal, but it nowhere close to being unbearable. plus, i can swivel the stools to point the speakers in any diection i want! =) again, not ideal, but very useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Great to see they've found a good home. Thanks for the feedback.
post #4027 of 4614
yup! height adjustment takes a little bit of torquing a knob that holds it in place, but i can toe it in any direction i want with one hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Looks like they make it easy to adjust height and toe in.
post #4028 of 4614
Just wanted to let everyone know that it's been a week since I received my Phil Slim Towers, and so far so good! They continue to amaze me with their ability to reproduce sound (music!). Sorry to make this short, but, I will have a detailed write-up about my listening impressions in a few days.

The bass really goes low, and is tight. The mids are clean, and the highs are open and airy. Not sure if I am describing the attributes in the right way.

I found them to be at their best when at about 3 ft away from the front wall, and with about 1/3rd poly-fill. The soundstage is great, and the speakers just disappear. The off-axis response also is awesome, and the whole couch is a sweet-spot instead of just the MLP. Sweet!

I have them spaced out at about 8 ft, and the MLP is about 13 ft from them. The room is 15'W x 16'L x 8'H which doubles(triples) as Living/Dining/HT.

To me they are an amazing set of speakers, and I couldn't have been happier. Having listened to the Salk SCSTs, HT2-TLs, and the SS8s, I think they come really close to the SS8s.

In short - they are extremely capable, and at $2800 (proposed standard finish price) are a steal.

A few pics from my phone. Sorry for the bad lighting. Better pics will be attached to the detailed write-up smile.gif







I am thankful to Dennis for the Phil Slim Towers. They should be brought to production ASAP. I have no doubts about the Phil Slim Towers being the best selling speaker(s) in the Philharmonic series. Trust me!
post #4029 of 4614
Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to reading your review.smile.gif
post #4030 of 4614
Are there any plans for a slim center? If so, what type of configuration would it be?
post #4031 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by svadas View Post

Are there any plans for a slim center? If so, what type of configuration would it be?


All the Phils are voiced the same. So I imagine the center that Jim Salk makes for the Phils should work just fine.
post #4032 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post

All the Phils are voiced the same. So I imagine the center that Jim Salk makes for the Phils should work just fine.

There are several options. There's the MTM that Salk makes for me--Seas W15 woofers and Fountek ribbon tweet. And, for about half the price, you can use the Philharmonitor with its tweeter rotated for use horizontally. And I'll be finishing up a premium WMTW version with the W15 woofs, titanium midrange, and RAAL tweeter in the next couple of weeks. The mid and tweet are the same used in the new Phil tower.
post #4033 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

There are several options. There's the MTM that Salk makes for me--Seas W15 woofers and Fountek ribbon tweet. And, for about half the price, you can use the Philharmonitor with its tweeter rotated for use horizontally. And I'll be finishing up a premium WMTW version with the W15 woofs, titanium midrange, and RAAL tweeter in the next couple of weeks. The mid and tweet are the same used in the new Phil tower.

Do you know the pricing on the WMTW center? Additionally, could one have it constructed with the RAAL, SB Acoustic woofs and BG Neo8 (if the Tang Band midrange isn't a good enough timbre match for the midrange of the Neo8)?
post #4034 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post

Do you know the pricing on the WMTW center? Additionally, could one have it constructed with the RAAL, SB Acoustic woofs and BG Neo8 (if the Tang Band midrange isn't a good enough timbre match for the midrange of the Neo8)?

If you throw money at Jim Salk. wink.gif Something tells me Dennis doesn't want to have to deal with the Neo 8 in a center. I'm rather suprised he's offering a WTMW!
post #4035 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

There are several options. There's the MTM that Salk makes for me--Seas W15 woofers and Fountek ribbon tweet. And, for about half the price, you can use the Philharmonitor with its tweeter rotated for use horizontally. And I'll be finishing up a premium WMTW version with the W15 woofs, titanium midrange, and RAAL tweeter in the next couple of weeks. The mid and tweet are the same used in the new Phil tower.

Any reason you went W15 instead of ScanSpeak like the slims?

Does this mean there is also another W15, TB1337, RAAL tower (of bookshelf) on the way?
Edited by rick240 - 4/25/13 at 10:37am
post #4036 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Any reason you went W15 instead of ScanSpeak like the slims?

Does this mean there is also another W15, TB1337, RAAL tower (of bookshelf) on the way?

Thanks for catching that. I meant the Seas ER15, which are fine performers (used in the Song Towers) but won't break the bank like the W15's would.
I'll do a W15 or Scan 5" Revelator version if anyone wants one, but personally I would rather have a new VW GTI.
post #4037 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Thanks for catching that. I meant the Seas ER15, which are fine performers (used in the Song Towers) but won't break the bank like the W15's would.

What do you think about the Seas L16RNX as a woofer instead of the ER15, it has the same 146mm outer dimension.

btw. What frequency is the xo to the TB?
Quote:
I'll do a W15 or Scan 5" Revelator version if anyone wants one, but personally I would rather have a new VW GTI.

If your saving money for the VW, wouldn't using an OW instead of a RAAL have more impact on the wallet then ER15 vs W15?
Edited by rick240 - 4/25/13 at 12:03pm
post #4038 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

What do you think about the Seas L16RNX as a woofer instead of the ER15, it has the same 146mm outer dimension.

btw. What frequency is the xo to the TB?


Thanks for the suggestion. I guess it bears the same relationship in size and motor structure to the ER15 as the W16 does to the W15. Maybe I'll give that a try. As for other questions, I have no idea what the pricing will be. But the driver cost with
the L16 would be around $550 So you can do the math--cabinet cost + crossover + profit (I'm still delusional) means a hefty investment. The Philharmonitor on its side with a flipped tweeter still looks good to me. The Neo 8 with a RAAL stacked on top of it
is going to make for one tall center. I just don't think that would be practical. And the titanium mid in the tower seems to match the timber of the Neo 8 in the 3's.
post #4039 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

There are several options. There's the MTM that Salk makes for me--Seas W15 woofers and Fountek ribbon tweet. And, for about half the price, you can use the Philharmonitor with its tweeter rotated for use horizontally. And I'll be finishing up a premium WMTW version with the W15 woofs, titanium midrange, and RAAL tweeter in the next couple of weeks. The mid and tweet are the same used in the new Phil tower.

Hey, I'm glad I talked you into that WmtW version. wink.gif

Will that be a pretty tall center with the mid and tall ribbon tweet? Will Jim be making that for you?

Would it work well for the Salk speakers also?
post #4040 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by D54Smith View Post

Hey, I'm glad I talked you into that WmtW version. wink.gif

Will that be a pretty tall center with the mid and tall ribbon tweet? Will Jim be making that for you?

Would it work well for the Salk speakers also?

I think it will have to be about 12" high. I'm sure it would work well with Salk stuff as well, but there is the little matter of not having designed it yet.
post #4041 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.

Less of a suggestion then a genuine question wondering what you think of the L16 woofer in that FR range (i.e. specifically in a 3-way, crossed to a sub at 80Hz).

Would it have benefits over an ER15? Would it have drawbacks vs the W15 or SS? Particularly in the 80-500Hz range.
Edited by rick240 - 4/26/13 at 6:38am
post #4042 of 4614
dennis,
if i read correctly, the optimal position for a center channel is to have the tweeters of the L/R/C height aligned. so given my setup as shown in the pic in post #4023, is my only option to mount my tv on the wall so that i can elevate the center channel to the heigh of the tweeters of my monitors? or would it be acoustically 'ok' to position the center above the tv and tilt it downwards towards my listening position?
post #4043 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

dennis,
if i read correctly, the optimal position for a center channel is to have the tweeters of the L/R/C height aligned. so given my setup as shown in the pic in post #4023, is my only option to mount my tv on the wall so that i can elevate the center channel to the heigh of the tweeters of my monitors? or would it be acoustically 'ok' to position the center above the tv and tilt it downwards towards my listening position?

Don't forget...

...the optimal placing of the screen is such that the centre of the screen is at eye height (pretty much ear height).

So the only people who can have truly optimal are those with an acoustically transparent screen and the centre smack dab in the middle of the screen.

For everyone else you have to compromise.

If you put the centre below, raising the TV so that the speaker is at ear height would put the TV way too high (just like all of the people who put it above a fireplace eek.gif). In this case put the speaker low and tilt it so that the tweeter points at you (make sure there is no furniture in the way) - the TV is likely not optimal, but OK.

If you put the centre above, ideally you place the TV optimally and then have the speaker above, but aimed down.
post #4044 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post

dennis,
if i read correctly, the optimal position for a center channel is to have the tweeters of the L/R/C height aligned. so given my setup as shown in the pic in post #4023, is my only option to mount my tv on the wall so that i can elevate the center channel to the heigh of the tweeters of my monitors? or would it be acoustically 'ok' to position the center above the tv and tilt it downwards towards my listening position?

This is a tradeoff, and can be a frustrating argument if (when?) the audio purists come in with their opinions. Yes, in a perfect world this is the layout you want, but you have to ask yourself whether off-axis speakers or off-axis display in a HT environment is the more pain in the arse to deal with. Tilting up or down I think works fine, and I'm betting you could blindfold anyone and they'd never know the difference.
post #4045 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Don't forget...

...the optimal placing of the screen is such that the centre of the screen is at eye height (pretty much ear height).

So the only people who can have truly optimal are those with an acoustically transparent screen and the centre smack dab in the middle of the screen.

For everyone else you have to compromise.

If you put the centre below, raising the TV so that the speaker is at ear height would put the TV way too high (just like all of the people who put it above a fireplace eek.gif). In this case put the speaker low and tilt it so that the tweeter points at you (make sure there is no furniture in the way) - the TV is likely not optimal, but OK.

If you put the centre above, ideally you place the TV optimally and then have the speaker above, but aimed down.

great points, and thanks for the info! my tv is currently at the optimal height for viewing from my couch. i prob watch a lot more tv w/o speaks than i do with speakers, so it prob doesn't make sense to hang the tv to put the center channel at the right height. given the config of my tv stand, and if i were to buy a philharmonitor (or larger speaker) as a center, it'd likely have to place it above the tv and point it down.
post #4046 of 4614
Yay, a new center channel speaker. Now that photos of mine have become the poster child for the most retarded speaker setup ever I can't decide whether I'm interested or stubborn biggrin.gif I look forward to how this new speaker evolves.
post #4047 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Tilting up or down I think works fine, and I'm betting you could blindfold anyone and they'd never know the difference.

Tilting works fine most of the time (I've always had to live with tilted - first down from above and now up from below).

The only place where non-aligned speakers is a real issue is when something goes across the screen the sound will start at one level, jump down (or up) and then go back to the original level. If one is really bothered by this - they should have an AT screen cool.gif
post #4048 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Yay, a new center channel speaker. Now that photos of mine have become the poster child for the most retarded speaker setup ever I can't decide whether I'm interested or stubborn biggrin.gif I look forward to how this new speaker evolves.

Looking at your pictures, there is no possible way that your center channel could sound good. In fact, it likely messes up the sound of your L/R. If I were you, I'd simply use only your TV speakers. They must sound better. biggrin.gif
post #4049 of 4614
I'm glad we can agree on the sarcasm Vic. I love my setup and have no displeasure or remorse whatsoever. More importantly, while I sit in the sweet spot nobody else has complained about comb filtering or poor MTM designs. Fancy that. The day my buddies come into my home and start complaining about off-axis response degradation will never come, so it's all good.

I would like to have another unique center channel speaker though!
post #4050 of 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

This is a tradeoff, and can be a frustrating argument if (when?) the audio purists come in with their opinions. Yes, in a perfect world this is the layout you want, but you have to ask yourself whether off-axis speakers or off-axis display in a HT environment is the more pain in the arse to deal with. Tilting up or down I think works fine, and I'm betting you could blindfold anyone and they'd never know the difference.

Definitely a trade off. I can definitely tell with my center above or below my screen even with the speaker tilted up or down and pointed directly at my ears. I've settled on mounting my center above my TV to make room for the subs. Dialog still appears to come from above the TV when I think about it. Even more so when I close my eyes to really listen to the dialog. Not overly distracting now that I've gotten used to it. I wish I had the room for a AT screen and a full tower behind it for a center.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy