or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › DRIVE - new film from Nicolas Winding Refn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DRIVE - new film from Nicolas Winding Refn - Page 5

post #121 of 143
Mondo will release their version of the vinyl soundtrack today. Limited edition w/ artwork by Tyler Stout.


Stout also did some screenprints for the movie (some on metal). Pretty cool.


www.mondotees.com
post #122 of 143
Late to the party, but I finally caught this on Netflix. So here's how it struck me- If Michael Mann would've made a Point Blank type movie back in the 80's it would look a lot like Drive. Everything in the movie pretty much worked for me with one exception- Ryan Gosling. It's obvious that he was trying to channel his inner Eastwood, Marvin, and McQueen but the problem is he's just to young to pull off the laconic cool he's going for. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure it's worthy of all the praise it's gotten.
post #123 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Late to the party, but I finally caught this on Netflix. So here's how it struck me- If Michael Mann would've made a Point Blank type movie back in the 80's it would look a lot like Drive. Everything in the movie pretty much worked for me with one exception- Ryan Gosling. It's obvious that he was trying to channel his inner Eastwood, Marvin, and McQueen but the problem is he's just to young to pull off the laconic cool he's going for. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure it's worthy of all the praise it's gotten.
Hard to argue with this.....
post #124 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Late to the party, but I finally caught this on Netflix. So here's how it struck me- If Michael Mann would've made a Point Blank type movie back in the 80's it would look a lot like Drive. Everything in the movie pretty much worked for me with one exception- Ryan Gosling. It's obvious that he was trying to channel his inner Eastwood, Marvin, and McQueen but the problem is he's just to young to pull off the laconic cool he's going for. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure it's worthy of all the praise it's gotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Hard to argue with this.....

As oink will recall from my posts early in the thread, I hated Gosling's performance when i saw Drive the theater. I changed my mind, though, when I saw it a second time. Gosling gives a subtle, layered performance, which i didn't fully understand until I had seen the film several times. I have came to admire both the film and Gosling's performance in it so much, I bought the BD.
post #125 of 143
I have Drive in my top 10 movies. Not sure where at in there, but it's there.

Anyways. I thought the movie was great. It's a bit tough for some to see Gosling as the "cool/muderous" type, but I think it's only because he's too much of a pretty-boy. Some people have a hard time seeing him in a role like this. Perhaps people have a hard time seeing him go from The Notebook to Drive, but I thought it worked out well.

His character is super relatable to all introverts. As an introvert myself, I thought it was great how he didn't resort to words to express himself. So many people in the world feel the need to tell people what they're feeling/thinking/doing, while introverts simply do whatever it is, and leave everyone around them to form their own conclusions.

My whole life I was asked "Do you talk ever? What's wrong with you?", and most of the criticism of Gosling's character in Drive goes along the same lines. Many people have a hard time not being told what someone is thinking/feeling, so they become frustrated and criticize.

If you enjoyed the movie the first time, then a second viewing will only reveal more. Gosling's character does give very subtle details about himself, but it's all there.
post #126 of 143
I don't think the trouble with Gosling's performance is that he's too much the Hollywood pretty boy to be believable, after all the ladies sure liked McQueen back in the day. It's just that for a character to be that disconnected from the world around him, so guarded with words and so anti-social, you have to have a few miles under your belt in the game of life to make it seem real. The guy was 30 or so when he made the movie, but he could pass for 25, and I probably wouldn't find McQueen or Eastwood very believable in such a part at that tender age, either. I know the movie went for "mysterious" as far as his character is concerned, but a little hint of backstory might have helped sell his character better. The best comparison I can make is Travis Bickle- he was a young, anti-social loner driven to violent acts and the urge to protect someone. But he was given a hint of backstory so that we could understand a little better how he came to be in the place he was. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And when The Driver dons that mask towards the end, it kinda' felt like a cheesy horror movie spoof.
post #127 of 143
McQueen's and Eastwood's look, even in early films, have much more of a masculine edge than Gosling who has more of a metrosexual look about him. It make take another decade or so before Ryan "looks" as tough as he sometimes acts.
post #128 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

I don't think the trouble with Gosling's performance is that he's too much the Hollywood pretty boy to be believable, after all the ladies sure liked McQueen back in the day. It's just that for a character to be that disconnected from the world around him, so guarded with words and so anti-social, you have to have a few miles under your belt in the game of life to make it seem real. The guy was 30 or so when he made the movie, but he could pass for 25, and I probably wouldn't find McQueen or Eastwood very believable in such a part at that tender age, either. I know the movie went for "mysterious" as far as his character is concerned, but a little hint of backstory might have helped sell his character better. The best comparison I can make is Travis Bickle- he was a young, anti-social loner driven to violent acts and the urge to protect someone. But he was given a hint of backstory so that we could understand a little better how he came to be in the place he was. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And when The Driver dons that mask towards the end, it kinda' felt like a cheesy horror movie spoof.

Yeah, I can see his age being an issue to some. But saying that 25 is too young for someone to be disconnected from the world is a bit silly to me. Age isn't the only thing that determines how many "miles" you have under your belt. I know many people who have been through more by the time they're 18 than most people deal with in a lifetime.

As for him being guarded with words and "anti-social", I think that's just meant to be his personality. Not really a result of his upbringing or past experiences, but I'm sure those things helped reinforce it after the fact. I just wrote about this in my earlier comment. It's just a matter of someone being an introvert. Age has nothing to do with it. But there are always those "less-than-understanding" who find introverts to be people with serious issues. It just isn't the case. It's just a coincidence in Drive, and becomes an issue for some as they're used to being told why someone becomes unhinged. But the personality of Goslisng's character is what keeps his past hidden. He simply doesn't want to share his problems with anyone.

You're supposed to wonder what could've happen to make him the person he is now. It's meant to be a shock when you see who he really is, and how young he is relative to how cold and distant he is. I don't think this was the goal of Taxi Driver.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The mask wasn't cheesy. Or at least it shouldn't have been. It was a way for him to further hide himself(his crazed side) from the world. Obviously he wore it so no one would recognize him literally, but it can also be taken figuratively.
post #129 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Yeah, I can see his age being an issue to some. But saying that 25 is too young for someone to be disconnected from the world is a bit silly to me. Age isn't the only thing that determines how many "miles" you have under your belt. I know many people who have been through more by the time they're 18 than most people deal with in a lifetime.

You beat me to it. The age of a guy as repressed and uncommunicative as Driver is a whole lot less important than his mileage. The film made clear to me at least that Driver had led a hard life and paid an emotional price for it.
post #130 of 143
I don't really buy the introvert thing. The guy is obviously an adrenaline junkie, and I haven't come across to many introverts who were adrenaline junkies. The guys obviously got a past to make him the way he is, but it's never even hinted at as to what it might be. An older character it would be easier to buy into because of a person's life experiences, but when a relative kid acts that way, it just strikes me as not enough hugs from mommy and daddy as a child. And his "cool" bordered on comatose in some scenes. I actually liked it when he was roused, 'cause he actually showed some depth. The McQeens, Eastwoods and Marvins carry off the acting on body language and through their eyes alone. Gosling isn't there yet, imo. He may get there, but not yet, and I'm not alone in that assessment. This is the first Gosling movie I've seen, so I'm not tainted by character expectations. It might be a case of right actor, wrong time. Again, good movie just not the masterpiece a lot of people make it out to be, imo.
post #131 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post


As oink will recall from my posts early in the thread, I hated Gosling's performance when i saw Drive the theater. I changed my mind, though, when I saw it a second time. Gosling gives a subtle, layered performance, which i didn't fully understand until I had seen the film several times. I have came to admire both the film and Gosling's performance in it so much, I bought the BD.
Gosling isn't the problem in this movie....his character is.
post #132 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

I don't really buy the introvert thing. The guy is obviously an adrenaline junkie, and I haven't come across to many introverts who were adrenaline junkies. The guys obviously got a past to make him the way he is, but it's never even hinted at as to what it might be. An older character it would be easier to buy into because of a person's life experiences, but when a relative kid acts that way, it just strikes me as not enough hugs from mommy and daddy as a child. And his "cool" bordered on comatose in some scenes. I actually liked it when he was roused, 'cause he actually showed some depth. The McQeens, Eastwoods and Marvins carry off the acting on body language and through their eyes alone. Gosling isn't there yet, imo. He may get there, but not yet, and I'm not alone in that assessment. This is the first Gosling movie I've seen, so I'm not tainted by character expectations. It might be a case of right actor, wrong time. Again, good movie just not the masterpiece a lot of people make it out to be, imo.

Most introverts wouldn't make it known that they have an adrenaline junkie side. Because they're introverted. There is no reason why you would know if an introvert was or wasn't an adrenaline junkie. Unless you were really close to that person, they probably wouldn't feel the need to tell you.

It still sounds as though you're saying young people couldn't possibly have emotionally scarring pasts. In your eyes, a young person who looks a bit cold and isolated/independent is simply unaware of what true problems are, and just overreacts to not being hugged enough.

I think Oink's opinion is the correct one to have. That it isn't so much Gosling being the problem (for those who feel there is a problem in the movie) but his character. The character is meant to be a young(er) guy who is quiet and reserved on the outside, hiding a brutally emotional side. Whether it were Gosling or not, there would've been a similar actor cast for this character.
post #133 of 143
Here is a spy shot of the filming of the upcoming Drive 2 wheel sequel:


post #134 of 143
ROTFLMAO!

Poster boy for: "I should have stayed in bed today."
post #135 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Here is a spy shot of the filming of the upcoming Drive 2 wheel sequel:



lolz
post #136 of 143
I saw this for the first time Saturday and I thought it was really quite good, especially since the director said it had a budget of ten million. There was a certain familiar tendency of elements of the plotting, but I was thoroughly entertained, and I thought Gosling did a good job (I thought everybody did a good job). I can't see people saying his silences revealed nothing, either. You could see his involvement with the other characters grow as the film progressed by watching his eyes. I noted other films he directed and plan to get them on the Netflix queue.

I'm posting before checking to see if this was addressed earlier in the thread but Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
who thinks he died? The director mentions Point Blankin the commentary, which has the famously ambiguous ending. I figure he did.
post #137 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I saw this for the first time Saturday and I thought it was really quite good, especially since the director said it had a budget of ten million. There was a certain familiar tendency of elements of the plotting, but I was thoroughly entertained, and I thought Gosling did a good job (I thought everybody did a good job). I can't see people saying his silences revealed nothing, either. You could see his involvement with the other characters grow as the film progressed by watching his eyes. I noted other films he directed and plan to get them on the Netflix queue.

I'm posting before checking to see if this was addressed earlier in the thread but Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
who thinks he died? The director mentions Point Blankin the commentary, which has the famously ambiguous ending. I figure he did.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm thinking he did die. Or was accepting of the fact that he would probably die by driving off without getting help. Seemed as though he felt he had lost the people he loved, and had no more reason to stick around.
post #138 of 143
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Up until recently a sequel was planned, with Ryan Gosling returning as Driver... It looks like it won't happen at all now, but still, that clearly means that Gosling's character wasn't meant to die at the end of the film... When I saw it I thought it was to reinforce the idea of the lone(ly) guy, who makes a point not to get involved with anyone, even when he most needs it. What made him like this is still a mystery - I would have liked a sequel!
post #139 of 143
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I think he was dead before he drove away.

Maybe they didn't do a sequel because that was the case and the actors involved wanted to leave it at that.
post #140 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Up until recently a sequel was planned, with Ryan Gosling returning as Driver... It looks like it won't happen at all now, but still, that clearly means that Gosling's character wasn't meant to die at the end of the film... When I saw it I thought it was to reinforce the idea of the lone(ly) guy, who makes a point not to get involved with anyone, even when he most needs it. What made him like this is still a mystery - I would have liked a sequel!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ah. I didn't know there was a sequel planned. I guess you could also take him driving off as meaning he's moving on. And will be fine.

Though if you think about it, the character actually does die between the end of Drive and the planned sequel. Ha.
post #141 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Up until recently a sequel was planned, with Ryan Gosling returning as Driver... It looks like it won't happen at all now, but still, that clearly means that Gosling's character wasn't meant to die at the end of the film... When I saw it I thought it was to reinforce the idea of the lone(ly) guy, who makes a point not to get involved with anyone, even when he most needs it. What made him like this is still a mystery - I would have liked a sequel!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The movie sequel was to be based on Sallis' sequel, Driven, to his book Drive, upon which the film was based. It is seven years later and Driver is very much alive and trying to make his way in the straight world.
post #142 of 143
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There were certain parts where I thought he was dead well before the end. tongue.gif
post #143 of 143
He's dead behind the eyes the whole movie, if that's what you mean.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › DRIVE - new film from Nicolas Winding Refn