or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread - Page 32

post #931 of 1569
I upgraded from a VSX-35 that I bought in 1999 and it controlled zone 2 volume when going through my amplifier for my outdoor patio speakers. I can't believe my new VSX-53 has gone backwards and now I can no longer control the volume when using 7.1. I have to say I am disappointed.

Pros: Internet connectivity and Ipod control app
Cons: -No variable volume control zone 2 when using 7.1
-HDMI standby pass-through will not work with my Directv receiver
-Receiver goes to TV/SAT when I have HDMI control set up even though there is not a TV/SAT HDMI input. I have to turn off HDMI control to get this to work correctly.
- I have to scale down video to support Zone two HDMI to my patio TV since it only support 1080i
- No separate audio pass through of audio to HDMI 2. When I turn pass through on it affects zone one and now I do not have 7.1.
- No 120 volt AC switch to control my older Pioneer Amplifier. VSX-53 only has 12 volt switch and my older Pioneer A-35R amplifier does not have this. I now have to manually turn on the amp every time I listen to zone 2.

I was a big fan of Pioneer with my purchase of my VSX-35, but I have to say I am very disappointed with my new VSX-53. I am sure Pioneer could fix a couple things with a firmware upgrade but it seems they really never do that. I really have gained little over a receiver that is 13 years old. I guess I should have done better research.
post #932 of 1569
Hi JMCL,

Is this the OP Manual for your older VSX 35?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0938401630.pdf

I could not see any mention of a Zone 2 and the feature that you say it had.
What page in the OP Manual did it discuss the Pluses and Minuses that you are talking about...

In your CONS you list:
Quote:


1) No variable volume control zone 2 when using 7.1

You cannot have a separate Zone if you are using 7.1
Your two connections for Zone 2 would either be Setup "C" or Setup "E" as listed on page 12 of the OP Manual.
Both setups limit you to 5.1 in the main and then a Zone 2 with the other two amplifiers.
However starting on page 53 and concluding on Page 54 in the OP manual it discusses using your remote to adjust the volume in Zone 2 or 3.
How did this work with the VSX 35 (please reference the page in the OP Manual that discusses this)
Quote:


2) -HDMI standby pass-through will not work with my Directv receiver

We all have discovered that for HDMI Control (which needs to be ON for this Feature), ALL Components have to have the HDMI Control Feature.
In the OP manual Pioneer states that their HDMI Control is really looked at as Kuro-Link and is meant for Pioneer components but that it may work with other HDMI Control equipment.
Maybe Kuro-Link was after 1999, I don't know.
Quote:


3) Receiver goes to TV/SAT when I have HDMI control set up even though there is not a TV/SAT HDMI input. I have to turn off HDMI control to get this to work correctly.

Yes after coming out of Standby and turning the receiver on, it defaults to TV/SAT when Control with HDMI is ON but you just change it to whatever Input you want.
I have a Logitech 650 remote and it will let you program the Input of each component when it is turned on, choose whatever input you want and it will auto go there then no worry about the TV/SAT default at turning it on.
Quote:


4) I have to scale down video to support Zone two HDMI to my patio TV since it only support 1080i

Because you have the VSX 53 as I do, you have 2 HDMI Outs, (HDMI Control only works on HDMI 1) if you set their Output to "HDMI Out ALL" both HDTV's should get 1080P as stated on page 54 of the OP Manual.
I am pretty sure, I just got a separate LCD to go with my main and I'll connect it to the VSX 53's HDMI 2 Out tomorrow. Or am I misunderstanding that because your second HDMI HDTV is only 1080i then you have to set both HDTV's to 1080i the lower of the 1080 spec and you would like separate resolutions that can be set for each HDMI Out.
I'll find that out because my other LCD is a 720P HDTV and my main Plasma is a 1080P HDTV. Which also mixes LCD & PLasma. Interesting thoughts. I'll see what happens.
Quote:


5) No separate audio pass through of audio to HDMI 2

I'll let you know about HDMI 2 tomorrow but you should get Audio at HDMI 2.
Quote:


6) When I turn pass through on it affects zone one and now I do not have 7.1.

Please explain further, I know you are not using Pass-through with your DirecTV as stated in Con 2 above so what are you passing-Thru that is not giving you 7.1?
Quote:


7) No 120 volt AC switch to control my older Pioneer Amplifier. VSX-53 only has 12 volt switch and my older Pioneer A-35R amplifier does not have this. I now have to manually turn on the amp every time I listen to zone 2.

Pretty minor complaint, get a Logitech Universal Remote (I have the 650) and when you want Zone 2 you can Setup a Zone 2 Watch TV mode in the remote, then with the push of 1 button it will turn on and setup everything as you want. $60.00

Quote:


Pros: Internet connectivity and Ipod control app

Come on JMCL, one Pro Comment?
From 1999 to 2012 I guarantee that there are a lot of Upgrades / Pros over your VSX 35!
Let me try a few.....

1) Video Scaler: Marvell Qdeo up to 1080p / 24fps
2) DLNA 1.5 Certified
3) Network Audio Formats: LPCM, WAV 192kHz, MP3, ACC, WMA, FLAC 192kHz
4) Digital Core DSP Engine: TI Aureus
5) THX™ Certification: Select 2 Plus
6) Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital plus.
7) Phase Control: Full Band / Plus
8) Auto MCACC: Advanced & Manual
9) Video Parameter Adjustments: Advanced Video Adjust - HD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level
10) HDMI 1.4 & 36-bit Deep Color the VSX 35 no HDMI at all.
11) Video Converter to HDMI
12) Amplifier Design: Advanced Direct Energy

I could go on and on.
If Pioneer left it off they must have had a good reason...
Put in a movie like 2012 or even your DirectTV HD Surround and you must have been impressed with the advances in Surround Decoding and Video via HDMI and Qdeo over your 35.
Flash forward 12 years and there will be changes, don't be so set in your old ways but try and move forward and learn how to make it work for you.
Pioneer tries to keep their pulse on the buying public and what they want and has made changes for the Times.
I am sure that they have their reasons, maybe not enough people appreciated the Features that you did. I don't know.
There were things that were different in coming from my old Sony to this Pioneer but I don't even think of them or hardly remember what they were!
I am totally at ease with my 53 and Luv it!
As stated above the Elite VSX 53 has so much going for it!

However, If you Can't...Can you return it?
Have you looked at the new Pioneer SC models?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...lite+Receivers
The new Elite SC 61 is the same price as the VSX 53 and has the newer Class D3 amplifier design, also in the SC61 Brochure it Lists Zone 2: Volume, Tone & Balance
This may be for you...Check it out here:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

Bottom line JMCL, I always recommend that people Download and actually READ the Owners Manual before buying any piece of Equipment.
If there are specific Items and or Features that you care about (and you definitely did and do) make sure that your future choice has it and or Does IT!
It will either Guarantee your Satisfaction and Happiness with your possible New Purchase or let you know that a certain piece of equipment is just not for you!
You have to do your Research / Homework especially with today and the Internet, there is no excuse for you not to!

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #933 of 1569
Update: Changes between the new SC61 and the VSX 53

Power:
Channells: 7.2 to VSX 53: 7.1
Class D3 / VSX 53: AB Amplifier
125 x 7 / VSX 53: 110 x 7

Handheld & Internet:
1) iControl AV2012 / VSX 53: iControl AV2
2) USB Format: SC 61 added FLAC 192kHz

Decoders & Formats: No Change

Soundfield Calibration: No Change

Listening Modes: No Change

Audio Features:
1) High-bit. High sampling Hi-bit24 / Not in VSX 53
2) PQLS Jitter Reduction: HDMI Bitstream - Multi / Does not show Multi in the VSX 53 specs, not sure what that is about.
3) Tone Control: 2 Channel / VSX 53 shows Multi Channel

Video Processing: No Change

Connectivity:
1) 7 In / 1 Out / VSX 53 has 7 In and 2 Out
2) Analog Audio Inputs / Output: 1 In / VSX 53 has 2 in
3) Digital Inputs / Output: 4 In / VSX 53 has 5 in

Installation:
1) SC 61 has added a "PreAmp Mode"

The rest: Construction, Warranty & Dimensions are pretty much the same.

Summary:
If I was buying now, (or just did buy the VSX 53, had no need for HDMI 2 Out and I was still in the return period) I would definitely buy the SC 61.
However, for me, as a yearlong VSX 53 owner, there is not enough changes that have me crying in my Beer this morning! LOL!
I would still wait a few more years, let the upgrades mount up and then I'll make the change!
But, that's just my Opinion and I'm sticking with it....
Psst...Hey anyone want a Great Deal on perfect VSX 53? I'm kidding! LOL! But no Really ...I'm Kidding! LOL!
I will say this though, to get 2 HDMI Outs (VSX 53) with a new SC Receiver, you need to pony up at least $2000.00 and get the SC 65!
Now that's a change for ya..What's up with that?

Just an early morning FYI with nothing to do! LOL!

Have a Great Sunday Everyone!

Bud B
PS. The way I did this is open the SC61 Specs in Internet Explorer and the VSX 53 Specs in Mozilla, then minimize and put them side by side.
post #934 of 1569
Will be interesting to see how class D performs audio wise to class AB. It will be more efficient but quality of the sound?
post #935 of 1569
I own the VSX-52 and have t set up via HDMI. Cable in HDMI out to reciever via HDMI 1 the out to TV HDMI of course. My question is this. When Im watching TV and switch to tuner it works fine but when I switch back to TV its like the reciever has forgotten the settings and does nothing. Is there a setting Ive missed or has anyone else had this issue? I really dont wanna take it back if I can figure out the issue.

Thanks
post #936 of 1569
Hi ineedafan,

Quote:


I own the VSX-52 and have t set up via HDMI. Cable in HDMI out to reciever via HDMI 1 the out to TV HDMI of course. My question is this. When Im watching TV and switch to tuner it works fine but when I switch back to TV its like the reciever has forgotten the settings and does nothing. Is there a setting Ive missed or has anyone else had this issue? I really dont wanna take it back if I can figure out the issue.

I think that it may be a HDMI Handshake issue.
When you are on the Tuner the HDTV is Off Correct.
Then you go to your Cable Box Input and turn on your TV, do you see the HDMI Light, lit up on your Front Panel.

How do you usually turn on your Cable / Receiver / HDTV?
In other words what is the power up sequence.

Bud B
post #937 of 1569
Hey guys. I bought a VSX-53 and I have a Panny BDT-310 connected to it. I am playing the Super 8 blu ray and when I choose 7.1 TrueHD as my audio on the blu ray audio settings I don't see the TrueHD light up on the front of the receiver. I do have sound but no light. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Appreciate any advice.
post #938 of 1569
question for the 52/53 owners I was going to buy a 1121 but the price keeps going up [$697 at amazon today]for $725 i can get a vsx53. I looked at the 2012 models and none of the vsx models looks any better also looks like the vsx 60 is 8lbs lighter.I don't think i can move up to a sc... only way i can get a vsx53 is to use my amazon $250 gift card.So it looks like the 53 is the best bet what do you think? Oh and i know about the warranty and not supporting my local dealer thanks in advance
post #939 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette84 View Post

question for the 52/53 owners I was going to buy a 1121 but the price keeps going up [$697 at amazon today]for $725 i can get a vsx53. I looked at the 2012 models and none of the vsx models looks any better also looks like the vsx 60 is 8lbs lighter.I don't think i can move up to a sc... only way i can get a vsx53 is to use my amazon $250 gift card.So it looks like the 53 is the best bet what do you think? Oh and i know about the warranty and not supporting my local dealer thanks in advance

I suggest if you can wait for a couple of weeks maybe there is some sale on 1121. It has gone to $400 3-4 times in last 6 months but with 2012 line up not sure if production is there and it is perhaps discontinued. Ebay has it for $575 and on some you can make an offer.

You are right though for around $400, 1121 is features cannot be beat. How much is 52? because that is what 1121 is a clone of.
post #940 of 1569
vsx52 is $25 more than 53 on amazon.Don't understand price
post #941 of 1569
Another question so when i get my new receiver with icontrol, i hear you don't have to be in same room for it to work.Does that mean that i can scare the sht out of my dog when i'm at work? lol
post #942 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette84 View Post

Another question so when i get my new receiver with icontrol, i hear you don't have to be in same room for it to work.Does that mean that i can scare the sht out of my dog when i'm at work? lol

lol Yes! because you are doing it over your home network not via IR remote.

You maybe able to do it when you are not at home if you can log in remotely to your device that is running Icontrol app.
post #943 of 1569
Looks like people are skipping over the VSX-51 so I wonder if there is anything wrong with it? compared to the 52 or 53?

I've been reading so many threads in this forum, all the numbers and brands are blurring together. My needs are few but I do want the internet radio, Air play and good sound.
post #944 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

Looks like people are skipping over the VSX-51 so I wonder if there is anything wrong with it? compared to the 52 or 53?

I've been reading so many threads in this forum, all the numbers and brands are blurring together. My needs are few but I do want the internet radio, Air play and good sound.

It seems under the hood of VSX-51 is 1021k just like VSX-52 is almost the same as 1121k.

VSX-51 has all the feature you are looking for but I would not pay too more than $400 for 51 as 1021k usually goes for $300-400.
post #945 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

It seems under the hood of VSX-51 is 1021k just like VSX-52 is almost the same as 1121k.

VSX-51 has all the feature you are looking for but I would not pay too more than $400 for 51 as 1021k usually goes for $300-400.

Ok, now i get it, thanks! Sorry i missed this comparison in all the threads. So basically, sounds like you're just paying for the extra year of warranty. I did see the 51 for $400
post #946 of 1569
I am very close to buying my first Receiver and I have a couple of questions for you folks:

1) VSX-52 Vs VSX-1121 : From what I have read in the forums, 52 and 1121 are pretty much clones of each other. However, 1121 is around $500 and 52 is $900. I realize I am getting an extra year of warranty with 52, but is it worth the extra $400? Or am I paying a premium for the "Elite" label on the 52?

2) I asked the same question to the Magnolia Rep at my local Best Buy and he claims that the Elite series has discrete amps for each channel. So in effect, there are 7 discrete amps within the Elite models and each amp powers each channel individually. As a result of these dedicated amps, you get a much clearer output from each channel.
The "regular" Pioneer models have one amp that is shared across all the channels.

I tried searching for this explanation on this forum as well as on the internet and didn't find anything remotely like this. Is the Best Buy salesman just blowing smoke up my ass?

Your input is much appreciated!
post #947 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

Ok, now i get it, thanks! Sorry i missed this comparison in all the threads. So basically, sounds like you're just paying for the extra year of warranty. I did see the 51 for $400

Something to consider on warranty...
For Elite they are not valid for online purchases so if you saw on online you hve 0 years of warranty. Also Amazon is not an authroized delar for Pioneer and so you do not get any warranty if you purchase the standard Pio AVR from them.
post #948 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxavr View Post

I am very close to buying my first Receiver and I have a couple of questions for you folks:

1) VSX-52 Vs VSX-1121 : From what I have read in the forums, 52 and 1121 are pretty much clones of each other. However, 1121 is around $500 and 52 is $900. I realize I am getting an extra year of warranty with 52, but is it worth the extra $400? Or am I paying a premium for the "Elite" label on the 52?

2) I asked the same question to the Magnolia Rep at my local Best Buy and he claims that the Elite series has discrete amps for each channel. So in effect, there are 7 discrete amps within the Elite models and each amp powers each channel individually. As a result of these dedicated amps, you get a much clearer output from each channel.
The "regular" Pioneer models have one amp that is shared across all the channels.

I tried searching for this explanation on this forum as well as on the internet and didn't find anything remotely like this. Is the Best Buy salesman just blowing smoke up my ass?

Your input is much appreciated!

He is just trying to get you to buy the Elite version. I cannot confirm if he is right but if you look at the specs of the two model you will find that the weight of the two are identical 30.21 pounds. That tells me the internal are same.
Yes you get 2 years warranty
You also get 12V trigger, Zone 2 preout and much nices metal front panel.

Also both Elite and 1121 are made in Malaysia rest are made in China
post #949 of 1569
I have to say the 52 really did impress me with much better sound than the 50 or the Denon 2112 at Magnolia. But, who knows, it could have been the diff I'd see in a new tv out of the box vs. one that had been calibrated. i'm not sure but after hearing the difference, I wanted the 52. I was mainly considering the 51 for price.

it's true, iafzal, the 51 was online so no warranty but they did offer the usual generous big box return policy so it was a consideration.
post #950 of 1569
Purchased the vsx-52, 2/18/12. I was very impressed with my new piece of equipment, until I woke up friday "5/11/12" morning to watch the news and no audio or video from the receiver. I first assumed the pioneer elite tv, i bought in 2007 had gone out. Plugged hdmi from satalite to tv and it worked. I have tried diferent inputs, like blu ray and even tuner and nothing. Tried turning off and unplugging unit for some time as well. Any suggestions? I called best buy, where it was purchased and they say we have to box it up and send back to pioneer. Waiting to do that until I speak to pioneer myself. Of course they are closed on weekends.
post #951 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi ineedafan,



I think that it may be a HDMI Handshake issue.
When you are on the Tuner the HDTV is Off Correct.
Then you go to your Cable Box Input and turn on your TV, do you see the HDMI Light, lit up on your Front Panel.

How do you usually turn on your Cable / Receiver / HDTV?
In other words what is the power up sequence.

Bud B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedafan View Post

I own the VSX-52 and have t set up via HDMI. Cable in HDMI out to reciever via HDMI 1 the out to TV HDMI of course. My question is this. When Im watching TV and switch to tuner it works fine but when I switch back to TV its like the reciever has forgotten the settings and does nothing. Is there a setting Ive missed or has anyone else had this issue? I really dont wanna take it back if I can figure out the issue.

Thanks

ineedafan:

I think Bud is right on here. You want to always make sure your receiver is the LAST device to power on. Also, go into your HDMI settings and see if control is off or on. Whatever it is, change it and test.

I have a similar issue. Ive got the 52, tv, satellite box, and HTPC hooked up to it all via HDMI. There are times HDMI just doesnt sync (Im using a Harmony remote), and I have to "reset" the receiver by pushing "watch TV" or whatever Im doing again, and that usually wakes it up. Not always though. Last resort, power everything off and start over.

I personally have control ON, because if I turn it off (which is usually suggested unless youre using an Elite TV) the picture from my HTPC is garbled. No idea why. Ive tried some hackery in my HTPC settings to get it to display with control off, but then I lose Intel Quicksync for x264 playback, which is undesirable.

Anyhow. Check your "turn on" order, then check whether or not HDMI control is off or on and change it.
post #952 of 1569
Hello, I posted here last year when I first got my 52 so I wanted to thank Bud for his help. Anyway I love the receiver but I have some things I am trying to work out. Also, perhaps reading this thread has raised more questions than answers for me, anyway... I hope someone can help me out.

I have my comcast box going to HDMI 1 and Playstation in HDMI2 with the HDMI out going to my Bravia.

1) Is there a way to still watch TV while playing the radio tuner? Obviously when I switch to the tuner the TV goes black. I have seen it mentioned that it has to do with the input settings and after messing around with them a bit I just didn't know what to change.

2) The system has AirPlay but I am not an iTunes user. Can I use my Android phone to play/stream music? Is there app for that? I tried doubletwist but with no success. I may get a refund for that if I can't get it going. Again with this I probably just didn't know what to do. Like #1, I would like to be able to watch TV while streaming music.

I have the unit wired to my router and my phone WIFI connected to the same network.

3) I plug/unplug HDMI's all the time while the unit is powered on but I read on here that could be bad... I have never had any problems doing it so is this something I should 'never' do?

4) With HDMI control turned on from the 52 and my Bravia, I am able to turn off the TV and the receiver also turns off, but turning on the receiver will not turn on the TV. I want to make it so that when I turn on/off my cable box (comcast motorola DVR) both the receiver and TV power on/off, is that possible?

I have HDMI on all device turned off for now because most people here have said that HDMI control causes some problems and for me if it only does it one way from the TV it is pretty useless to me.

5) While not directly related to the 52 unit, I have been trying forever to bitstream HD Audio from my HTPC (just a HP HDX 18t that is a few years old but it was top of the line when I bought it) with no success. After much reading I think it is just a limitation of my GPU (nvidia GeForce 130M, can anyone confirm this or is it possible that I am just doing something wrong? I have tried ffdshow, Cyberlink powerDVD all with no luck. My 'playback devices' for NVIDIA HDMI out show as being for HD audio but all I get is PCM output...

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out...
post #953 of 1569
So I think I am going to go ahead and buy the VSX-52. A new one runs at $900 while I am getting the Display Model at Best Buy for $800. Both will come with the standard 2 year Pioneer Warranty.

My question is, how beat up are the in-store models? They have obviously been on display for a year now and people come in and mess around with them all the time. So is a 10% discount worth it or should I just spend the extra $100 for a new one.

P.S: Any tips on getting discounts on these? This is a last year model and I was hoping Best Buy would drop the price to make room for the 2012 Elite models. But I have seen no price drop so far. Do Elites usually get discounted at all?
post #954 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxavr View Post

So I think I am going to go ahead and buy the VSX-52. A new one runs at $900 while I am getting the Display Model at Best Buy for $800. Both will come with the standard 2 year Pioneer Warranty.

My question is, how beat up are the in-store models? They have obviously been on display for a year now and people come in and mess around with them all the time. So is a 10% discount worth it or should I just spend the extra $100 for a new one.

P.S: Any tips on getting discounts on these? This is a last year model and I was hoping Best Buy would drop the price to make room for the 2012 Elite models. But I have seen no price drop so far. Do Elites usually get discounted at all?

I honestly wouldnt have a problem buying a display model. Just make sure and do a factory reset when you get home before you calibrate it.

Im just gonna throw this out there. You could find a new Elite 52 alot cheaper online. The caveat? Pioneer technically wont honor the manufacturers warranty for an Elite purchased online. BUT. Buy online + purchase a full warranty through Square Trade = hundreds saved. Some people have issues with this, I personally dont and thats what I did.

Just throwing that out there.
post #955 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Im just gonna throw this out there. You could find a new Elite 52 alot cheaper online. The caveat? Pioneer technically wont honor the manufacturers warranty for an Elite purchased online. BUT. Buy online + purchase a full warranty through Square Trade = hundreds saved. Some people have issues with this, I personally dont and thats what I did.

Just throwing that out there.

Thanks blackangst. I have definitely explored this option but the cheapest I can find online is $750 (from a reputable dealer). I also happen to have a $100 off coupon from Best Buy, so the way I look at it, I am getting a brand new Elite 52 for $800 with 2 year standard warranty from Pioneer.

Now my only dilemma is whether to save an additional $100 on the display model. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the display model. After all, $100 is $100!
post #956 of 1569
I looked through the manual and don't see this option, is it possible to run a 5 channel stereo on this unit? My previous avr, Yamaha RX-V3900, could do this and I setup my system so it would only use the side surrounds when I was watching regular TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxavr View Post

Thanks blackangst. I have definitely explored this option but the cheapest I can find online is $750 (from a reputable dealer). I also happen to have a $100 off coupon from Best Buy, so the way I look at it, I am getting a brand new Elite 52 for $800 with 2 year standard warranty from Pioneer.

Now my only dilemma is whether to save an additional $100 on the display model. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the display model. After all, $100 is $100!

As long as you're getting the remote it's worth it. I just bought a VXS-53 from a closing Best Buy for a steal and so far it works great plus it looks new. Plus, I noticed most of the avrs don't really get fiddled around too much on display. I'd say go for the open box and get a deal.
post #957 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

I'd say go for the open box and get a deal.

Yep...ended up picking up an open box VSX-52 from Best Buy on the way home yesterday.
Ofcourse, now I have to wait since I have a sub and surrounds but my center and front speakers are on backorder for 2 months
FirstWorldProblems but FML!
post #958 of 1569
well i got my 53 3 days ago,so far im lovin it.everything working well so far but i DID read the online op manual before i got it!! No questions for bud b,iafzal,cco10j,blackangst,or any other experts yet. If you read the manual and the first 32 pages of this thread 95% of answers are there.You guys must do a lot of copy and paste to answer the same questions over and over and over.lol well off to have more fun with the 53, hope everyone has a nice sunday. brian
post #959 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

I looked through the manual and don't see this option, is it possible to run a 5 channel stereo on this unit? My previous avr, Yamaha RX-V3900, could do this and I setup my system so it would only use the side surrounds when I was watching regular TV.

I honestly dont know why you would want to do this. Think about it. If youre watching HD TV (presumably) the signal coming in to your receiver will be DD5.1 in most cases. What youre wanting to do is to downgrade that signal.

That said, yes you can do this if you want. The option is called extended stereo, and the settings for it are described on page 38 of your manual under advanced surround effects.
post #960 of 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxavr View Post

Thanks blackangst. I have definitely explored this option but the cheapest I can find online is $750 (from a reputable dealer). I also happen to have a $100 off coupon from Best Buy, so the way I look at it, I am getting a brand new Elite 52 for $800 with 2 year standard warranty from Pioneer.

Now my only dilemma is whether to save an additional $100 on the display model. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the display model. After all, $100 is $100!

Another way to look at it...$100 is a new Logitech Harmony remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "OFFICIAL" Pioneer Elite VSX-52 / 53 Owner's Thread