or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-1612 and Panasonic TCP55GT30
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AVR-1612 and Panasonic TCP55GT30

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I wasn't sure where to post this so please forgive me if this isn't the appropriate forum.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to home theatre. I purchased a Panasonic TCp55GT30 this week along with a Denon AVR-1612. Is it best to run my components (hdmi cable, 3D blu-ray, and xbox) through the receiver or the television? It seems there may be pros and cons of each.

Also I've noticed what appears to be static in the video from my blu-ray player. I'm assuming my cables aren't up to spec. I have two cheap Dynex cables from Best Buy and one higher quality cable from monoprice. Can someone suggest the best hdmi cables for the price?

Also, I. A bit overwhelmed by all the settings from theses two devices. I would welcome suggestions from anyone with this setup.

Thank you.
post #2 of 10
Yes you should run your sources into the AVR, then run an HDMI to the TV. That is the only way to get 5.1/lossless audio.

What speakers do you have? We can't recommend settings without more info.

As far as the HDMI, anything marked category 2/High Speed is fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-277006X-...1742841&sr=8-4 (just an example)
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Yes you should run your sources into the AVR, then run an HDMI to the TV. That is the only way to get 5.1/lossless audio.

What speakers do you have? We can't recommend settings without more info.

As far as the HDMI, anything marked category 2/High Speed is fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-277006X-...1742841&sr=8-4 (just an example)

Thanks for the fast response. I thought it was best to run everything through the receiver but I wasn't positive.

I haven't tackled the speakers as of yet. I have a pair of Bose 501 floor speakers that I've had longer than I care to remember. I'm hoping to upgrade to a full 5.1 or 7.1 setup in the next few months.... as soon as I can convince the wife. I'm open to suggestions. I haven't really set a budget yet; I'm thinking maybe the $1000 range, which probably won't buy much.

Thank you for the Amazon link. I'll order a few of those this week.

Can poor quality cables cause the picture to be snowy? (that's the best way I know to explain it).
post #4 of 10
Technically no, but...if the cable ends aren't very good, then yes. I only use Vanco. Monoprice and Bluejeans(both have links in the header above) have good cables as well. Dynex is not a quality brand...and I don't expect quality out of anything contained with-in a package from them.

You can find plenty for $1000. If you already have 501(the 501 and 601, in my opinion, are the ONLY Bose worth buying), what series are they?

Just keep in mind, Bose DOES NOT WORK with any form of Audyssey. The DSP contained with-in Bose products negates any "auto correct".
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Technically no, but...if the cable ends aren't very good, then yes. I only use Vanco. Monoprice and Bluejeans(both have links in the header above) have good cables as well. Dynex is not a quality brand...and I don't expect quality out of anything contained with-in a package from them.

You can find plenty for $1000. If you already have 501(the 501 and 601, in my opinion, are the ONLY Bose worth buying), what series are they?

Just keep in mind, Bose DOES NOT WORK with any form of Audyssey. The DSP contained with-in Bose products negates any "auto correct".

The 501s appear to be Series V, whatever that means. Like I mentioned, they are quite old.

That's good to know about Bose not working with Audyssey. I had no idea.
post #6 of 10
As you are already familiar with Monoprice, stick with Monoprice cables as they are quality cables for around $5 each. Also for more questions about your new AVR, join us in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As you are already familiar with Monoprice, stick with Monoprice cables as they are quality cables for around $5 each. Also for more questions about your new AVR, join us in the Denon XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

I'll check out the monoprice cables. Anything specific to look for or do they just need to be "high speed"?

I now have everything running through the receiver, however, tonight I was watching a blu-ray movie in 3D and on several occasions the screen went black for just a second. Any guess as to how to troubleshoot whether this is blu-ray player related or a receiver issue?
post #8 of 10
All you care about is high speed.

Until we can rule out a "bad HDMI", no help we can really offer. The first rule in HT diagnostics...

Check/replace the cable first.
post #9 of 10
Depending on the length you need, the Monoprice High Speed cables listed here would be good choices. Consider using a different color cable for each device to make connection to the AVR easier to understand which is which.
post #10 of 10
I know this is an old thread, but it came up when I searched for the same "static" problem, so I'm hoping this might help someone else down the road, especially with the 1612 on sale at Crutchfield and highly recommended as one of the best "bang for your buck" receivers.

My Panasonic DMP BDT-220 BluRay player -> Denon AVR-1612 -> Panasonic TC-P65ST50 (TV model may be irrelevant) has periodic dropouts / snow / static unless I disable "Deep Color Output." This was mentioned in the troubleshooting thread, and it cleared up my issue. I have 1.4 HDMI cables throughout my setup, so it's not my cabling, and straight through to the TV eliminated the problem as well.

Thanks to jdsmoothie and everyone else who contributed to that thread to make everything easy to find since forum searches didn't really work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Denon AVR-1612 and Panasonic TCP55GT30