or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project - Page 35

post #1021 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

If the file size is going to 8GB, then the video does get compressed, which means the quality is degraded. Then again if you are playing the movie on an IPAD, then the size is much more important than perfect quality and to be honest, who is going to bitch about any quality loss on a tablet screen? The smaller the screen, the less the quality matters. (Think of a streaming video in a little window on your screen vs how it looks if you blow it up to full screen. One looks fine, the other looks very blocky and pixilated) That all being said... I'd never spend 8 hours of time to convert something just so I could put it on my tablet.

You are right....I must have had a brain fart....I mean there were three reasons why this was not a good idea.... :-)

I will rip the BRs to the ipad only if I am going to travel for a long time. For me, it's all about the quality of the experience. Watching movies on the ipad is OK at best, but I'd not do it for any new movie or anything like that. And, I'm with you...8 hours for a conversion is a long time. Heck, most of the BRs that I've purchased recently come with a digital copy, so no ripping would be required.
post #1022 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

You are right....I must have had a brain fart....I mean there were three reasons why this was not a good idea.... :-)

I will rip the BRs to the ipad only if I am going to travel for a long time. For me, it's all about the quality of the experience. Watching movies on the ipad is OK at best, but I'd not do it for any new movie or anything like that. And, I'm with you...8 hours for a conversion is a long time. Heck, most of the BRs that I've purchased recently come with a digital copy, so no ripping would be required.

Keep in mind too, I think that he said this was the time it took go from MKV to MP4. If you go from your original ISO or Disc, there are programs that do pretty much 1 click ISO->MP4 which ask what your output playback device is. It also takes a lot less time. Like Ipod or Ipad. And so it knows what compression to use to make the display look good based on the size of the screen used for playback.

I use MakeMKV only because I don't want any loss to the audio and video quality. On some movies, it can cut the total size in half (Because they have 2 versions of the movie or a "Making of" on the disc) but on other movies you are only eliminating the previews, the menu, and a couple of audio tracks, so you might only shave off 5GB. But also because MKV can be played back on a majority of extender devices. You also don't need to purchase playback software like TMT or PDVD to playback all of your blu rays.

If I needed MORE size beyond that, there are other MKV conversion programs that will compress the video a a little. Some people either don't notice or don't care, but it will save you space. I'd like to use the phrase "Well storage is cheap these days" but since the flooding it's not as cheep as it was. Still, I prefer to keep my media quality at the mastered levels, especially when I would be projecting it on a big screen. Why build a theater if my source material isn't even top notch?
post #1023 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Some people either don't notice or don't care, but it will save you space. I'd like to use the phrase "Well storage is cheap these days" but since the flooding it's not as cheep as it was. Still, I prefer to keep my media quality at the mastered levels, especially when I would be projecting it on a big screen. Why build a theater if my source material isn't even top notch?

Well said. I can't say that I understand how people can't see the difference, but to each their own, right? Top notch space demands top notch quality.

I will say that you can quickly fill up storage space. My array is 12 TB and I've filled it as follows:

9 TB - MKV movies and ISOs (of concert videos)
1.5 TB - Music collection (FLAC and some MP3)
1 TB - Digital photo archive (personal home photos)
0.5 TB - Free

I desperately need to update the array to a hardware based RAID array. Maybe I'll get a conroller for Christmas.

The bummer is that I'll need to setup a SECOND array, then migrate data from the original array since I built the original array using Win2003 Server software RAID. To expand the array I have to empty it, then add disks, and then build the new array. Only after it is built and synched can I add data to it. When you have a TB or two, moving data is not that huge a deal, but with 12 TB, it's a HUGE deal! When I convert to hardware based RAID, I will be able to expand and contract as needed without emptying it.
post #1024 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Well said. I can't say that I understand how people can't see the difference, but to each their own, right? Top notch space demands top notch quality.

I will say that you can quickly fill up storage space. My array is 12 TB and I've filled it as follows:

9 TB - MKV movies and ISOs (of concert videos)
1.5 TB - Music collection (FLAC and some MP3)
1 TB - Digital photo archive (personal home photos)
0.5 TB - Free

I desperately need to update the array to a hardware based RAID array. Maybe I'll get a conroller for Christmas.

The bummer is that I'll need to setup a SECOND array, then migrate data from the original array since I built the original array using Win2003 Server software RAID. To expand the array I have to empty it, then add disks, and then build the new array. Only after it is built and synched can I add data to it. When you have a TB or two, moving data is not that huge a deal, but with 12 TB, it's a HUGE deal! When I convert to hardware based RAID, I will be able to expand and contract as needed without emptying it.

And here I am doing the exact opposite as you.... moving away from hardware raid. It's just too over the top for me just for media storage
post #1025 of 2309
You guys seem to know as much, if not more, than anyone I've found around on here... At least you tend to speak in plain English.

Okay... Here's my question...

I appreciate great PQ and AQ, therefore I purchase most of the BDs that I want to watch. Like most of us, there are some that we go back to over and over again. I have a pretty simple setup... Denon 5803, Panny BD55, TWC HD DVR.

I like the idea of storing everything centrally (BD, DVD, home movies, music, etc.), but can't stand the technical side of the computer aspect. Love HT, Hate Computers.

e.g. I have been trying for days to burn an AVCHD disc on a DVD-R to watch on my Panny BD55. Tried txMuxer, multiAVCHD, Imgburn, Roxio, etc., and must be too stupid to get them to work properly. Finally bought the Nero Platinum 11, and it worked okay, but took over 2.5 hours for a 15minute disc. I get that it may be hardware related, and I would definitely be okay with buy all new dedicated gear to make this happen, but don't know where to start.

What are the benefits of "ripping" and storing BR discs that you already own?

How long does it take? Does anybody/place out there do all that crap for you? I don't have the time or the inclination to spend 2hrs per movie just to get it into my homebased "cloud".

What would I need to get everything up and running to hook up the storage device to my HT and store everything?

Most of this is spawned from the fact that I bought an HD Canon camcorder when our son was born two years ago. After getting frustrated for days trying to figure out how to easily and quickly play HD content on a BR player, I called Canon. They basically told me, at that point, there was no easy way to do it. So I have just been storing the raw folder data on DVDs and waiting to figure something out. I figured out to buy all 4G cards so that I could just dump the raw content/folders onto a DVD.

Any ideas?

Is there a BIG-type person out there that can get me set up?
post #1026 of 2309
Thread Starter 
The one thing I haven't really gone full circle on yet is burning blu rays back to a piece of blu ray media. I used to burn dvds all the time and the one big thing I ran into when I started that was finding dvd players that would actually play a burned disc. Over the years, almost all of them started to do this. I'd assume pretty much any player would play a burned disc.

As far as what I would use to WRITE discs. I only use one utility to burn discs. ImgBurn. It can rip ISOs, or write ISOs. It's not very good for random folders of discs, but it can do that too, it's just not really made for that. But it worked every time. For standard DVD-R discs, I just use generic discs on a spool. I still have many spools of Taiyo-Yuden branded media and they all work great. I've never had an issue getting a burn to work. Download ImgBurn, put in media, open imgburn, click the big button Write Image to Disc, and then it goes. It's pretty simple.

If you need to remote region coding or copy protection to READ a disc, I use AnyDvdHD. Works every time and updates are quick.


As far as your "Central Location" problem. If you aren't computer savvy, then it's hard to recommend anything. You can buy a pre-built unRaid server from Lime Technology, but you still would need to learn how to manage it. You can buy a HTPC from someone like Assassin here that is compact and pre-configured for playback.

What are the benefits? All of your media would be at your fingertips no matter where you are. A click of a button and you can see any movie, picture, or song you have. You can easily browse through them all, seeing all of the cover art and images from the movie as well as a description on your screen. (Which is great for people like my wife who can't remember anything about a movie the day after we watch it) And you don't need a place to have all of your physical media stored where you can see it and get to it. Not only that, it can't get scratched that way. Rip it and store it somewhere. Your original media is your backup. We have a lot of people over and our physical media gets abused and stolen. Kids and media do not mix. We've had many of our movies damaged, stolen, or just plain lost from the kids that come through our house. They can't mess with something they can't touch!

Are there drawbacks? Well, sure. Storing your movies as MKVs doesn't really get you anything. Sure they are easily accessible, but you are paying money (Potentially a lot) for a media storage system that may or may not be worth it to you. It costs money. And time. Eventually you will have a hardware problem with some component, and if you can't fix it yourself, it will just get frustrating.

I've been a computer dork my whole life so I have no problem tearing them apart and putting them back together again. But I hate computers as much as I love them. Are there just random people who can do this for you? No not really. There's no quick way to to it. It just takes patience and time. If you wanted to do it, you could pay me and I'd do it for you. But that wouldn't really be worth it to anyone since it's the conversion process that takes time. There isn't a lot of actual work, just clicking and waiting.
post #1027 of 2309
One more advantage, which to me is one of the biggest: no unskippable ads, FBI warnings, and trailers!
post #1028 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

One more advantage, which to me is one of the biggest: no unskippable ads, FBI warnings, and trailers!

Yes that too. All of that unskippable crap at the beginning! Gone!
post #1029 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

...But I hate computers as much as I love them......

That about sums it up.
post #1030 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

And here I am doing the exact opposite as you.... moving away from hardware raid. It's just too over the top for me just for media storage

I looked at unraid and some of the other solutions and there is just too much risk for my taste. With some of these, if a drive dies you lose the data that was only on that drive. With RAID 5 or 6, you can replace the drive and it restore the data. The risk comes if you lose two drives in the array. There is also an investment in up-front cost required for the RAID controller card (and they are expensive).

I'd be intesrested in heaing your experience as you go along with your approach.
post #1031 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

As far as your "Central Location" problem. If you aren't computer savvy, then it's hard to recommend anything. You can buy a pre-built unRaid server from Lime Technology, but you still would need to learn how to manage it. You can buy a HTPC from someone like Assassin here that is compact and pre-configured for playback.

What are the benefits? All of your media would be at your fingertips no matter where you are. A click of a button and you can see any movie, picture, or song you have. You can easily browse through them all, seeing all of the cover art and images from the movie as well as a description on your screen. (Which is great for people like my wife who can't remember anything about a movie the day after we watch it) And you don't need a place to have all of your physical media stored where you can see it and get to it. Not only that, it can't get scratched that way. Rip it and store it somewhere. Your original media is your backup. We have a lot of people over and our physical media gets abused and stolen. Kids and media do not mix. We've had many of our movies damaged, stolen, or just plain lost from the kids that come through our house. They can't mess with something they can't touch!

Are there drawbacks? Well, sure. Storing your movies as MKVs doesn't really get you anything. Sure they are easily accessible, but you are paying money (Potentially a lot) for a media storage system that may or may not be worth it to you. It costs money. And time. Eventually you will have a hardware problem with some component, and if you can't fix it yourself, it will just get frustrating.

I've been a computer dork my whole life so I have no problem tearing them apart and putting them back together again. But I hate computers as much as I love them. Are there just random people who can do this for you? No not really. There's no quick way to to it. It just takes patience and time. If you wanted to do it, you could pay me and I'd do it for you. But that wouldn't really be worth it to anyone since it's the conversion process that takes time. There isn't a lot of actual work, just clicking and waiting.

Very, very good summary. This stuff is not very user-friendly and is not for everyone.
post #1032 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I looked at unraid and some of the other solutions and there is just too much risk for my taste. With some of these, if a drive dies you lose the data that was only on that drive. With RAID 5 or 6, you can replace the drive and it restore the data. The risk comes if you lose two drives in the array. There is also an investment in up-front cost required for the RAID controller card (and they are expensive).

I'd be intesrested in heaing your experience as you go along with your approach.


This is not true. If a drive dies you can rebuild it and recover the data. So in a raid-5 array say you lose a disk. The benefit of that level raid is that there is that you can still see all of the data while the disk is misisng since it is impacted. Thats the benefit. In a raid-4 (which is what unraid uses) if you lose a disk, while it is missing you are missing the data on that disk, but replacing it you would recover your data. If the disk you lose is your parity disk, you actually lose nothing, but you should replace the disk with a new parity. Now take the same scenerio and say you lost 2 disks. The raid-5 is completely done. All of your data is lost. In an unRaid setup, you can still mount the individual drives and recover the data on those disks. You may actually only lose 1 drive of data because one may be a parity drive. Is unRaid's raid-4 better than raid-5? Not really. But I have encountered a double-drive failure before on a hardware raid. it's not pretty. Most people like Raid-6, since you can lose 2 disks and still have access to all of your data. It's a good sweet-spot. Raid-6 however requires a dedicated card, and a decent 8 drive raid 6 card will cost you 500-600$ for the low end, and that's just an 8 drive card. So say you have a 8-drive raid-6 setup. You have twice the redundancy but have lost a significant portion of your storage capacity. A 16-drive raid 6 is quite nice, but you REALLY will pay for that.


Edited by damelon - 11/26/13 at 9:04am
post #1033 of 2309
AHA. Thanks for the info. There was a RAID program/technology that was popular here a few years ago that was similar to RAID but was localized to a single drive. For instance, if one drive died, you lost only the data on that drive and not everything else. It was pitched as an easy to manage alternative to RAID.

If you are using unraid and wish to expand your arry, can you do so easily? I'm really choking on the price of good hardware-based RAID cards. I want something that can grow as needed, but will allow data to be protected. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a good hardware card that does RAID 6.
post #1034 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

If you are using unraid and wish to expand your arry, can you do so easily? I'm really choking on the price of good hardware-based RAID cards. I want something that can grow as needed, but will allow data to be protected. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a good hardware card that does RAID 6.

Yes. In fact it is very easy to do. The parity drive has to be at least as big as your biggest hard drive. So it might only be complicated if you add a bigger hard drive than your parity drive. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward. I plan on starting that tonight actually. I'm almost done converting all of the ISOs from my external raid array (In the W's) and then I'll add at least 4 of those drives to my unRaid array. (4 of 8 have never failed. 4 of them I need to do some checks on to make sure they are ok, but the fan on those 4 drives was going bad so that may have something to do with it)
post #1035 of 2309
Cool! Please update us with your progress/learnings. What happens if the parity drive dies?
post #1036 of 2309
How often do these drives fail?
post #1037 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

How often do these drives fail?

using a conservative number of 100000 mtbf......thats 11 years.

lets knock of 33 percent (i pulled that out of my arse) due to the heat of being in a multi-drive enclosure.

still 7-8 years. IE....they last long enough in almost all cases for it to not be an issue as upgrades would have happend within that timeline.

In my real world experience, hard drive failure has not been an issue....lack of storage becomes an issue (or speed) and that necessitates upgrades prior to failure.
post #1038 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

How often do these drives fail?

If you can keep them cool, they seem to last a long time in my experience. I wind up upgrading to larger drives before they fail. If you don't keep them cool, I've seen failures about every 2 - 3 years or so. My server is running 24x7.
post #1039 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Cool! Please update us with your progress/learnings. What happens if the parity drive dies?

If the parity drive fails....nothing happens. The array is basically just a JBOD until you replace the party drive and re-calculate the parity.

On the longevity issue... heat is your enemy as stated. Drives will overheat and fail, and sometimes you can just let them cool and the problem goes away. But if it overheated once, it will likely do so again. It's a good sign that you need to check out your HDD cooling options. Drives do fail, and all will given time. But like it was mentioned earier, usually you upgrade before the drive fails.
post #1040 of 2309
Thread Starter 
So I finished converting all of the movies off of my external raid device. Shut down my HTPC and removed that raid card and shut down the external box. Took out 4 drives I know to be good and put them in my unRaid server.

Booted up the unRaid server and used a script called "preClear" on all of the drives. This zeroes out the drives completely and does a burn in to test for any sector errors. This was done in the background while my existing array was running.

That finished this morning. I logged into the web interface and stopped the array. (1 button click). I added the 4 drives to the array (there is drop down boxes for available drives). I then clicked the button to re-start the array. At this time the share is completely available for me to use (read/write) and the 4 new disks show up as unformatted. I click the button at the bottom of the screen which says "format" -> Formats all disks tagged with "Unformatted". This took a short period of time. Less than 30 min. The array was now available to use the 4 new drives as storage.

For sanity sake, I ran a parity check to verify my parity was still valid for the new array, which will take a few hours, but again, I am free to access all of the data on my share during this process.

Conclusion:
Piece of cake to expand the array!
post #1041 of 2309
You have me considering converting to unRAID. I've got a V1 WHS box that I've been very happy with (once I got all the streaming bugs worked out), but since Microsoft decided to ditch drive extender in VAIL, I've been considering other options.

Any issues yet with streaming video?
post #1042 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

You have me considering converting to unRAID. I've got a V1 WHS box that I've been very happy with (once I got all the streaming bugs worked out), but since Microsoft decided to ditch drive extender in VAIL, I've been considering other options.

Any issues yet with streaming video?

None yet. I have watched 3 movies so far as MKV with completely uncompressed video and DTS-MA audio off of the unraid share drive using media-browser. It opens windows media player (whatever one comes with windows 7) and all I installed was the LAV codec pack. Perfect playback for me on my HTPC across the LAN.

The only issue I have with the whole MKV thing (completely unrelated to unraid) is that I use zoom for scope formatting. On movies the use subtitles this could be an issue when I use windows media player since the subtitles are usually displayed in the "black-bar" area of the blu ray outside of the screen. With TMT5, this is a non-issue since you can just drag the subtitles up the screen. I know TMT5 supports MKV playback, but I have to figure out if there is a way to move subtitles around in WMP.
post #1043 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Merry Christmas!

So over the weekend I finally finished converting all of the .ISO files I used to have on my hardware raid to MKV and got them onto my unRaid server. I've watched many movies now, played directly through the NAS and I have to say I am more than happy with the performance. Playing the full-bandwidth 1080p stream with the HD-audio requires some decent bandwidth, I'll say that. I installed the ps3mediaserver plugin to unRaid, which allows my MKV files to be played to my 2 PS3s in the house, allowing my media collection to be used from all of our TVs. That works great wired, but the built-in wireless from the PS3 doesn't quite have enough bandwidth for non-pausing playback. Lucky for me I have both locations wired!

I also spent some time tuning the Monster 3D glasses to help with ghosting. Being able to actively adjust the delay settings of the shutters on the glasses while viewing a 3D picture is very helpful.

So this is the time of year that puts a "shared" HVAC system into perspective for a theater room. For those who didn't follow the thread, we have 3 HVAC units in our house. One for the basement/main level, one for the upstairs, and one for the sunroom. Since the sunroom unit was only for one room in the house, and located in the basement, we used this system to provide the HVAC services to the movie room. Once fall it, we just turned down the sunroom thermostat to about 66 and turned the fan to "On" to constantly cycle the air to the theater since it doesn't get any AC. This works great. But as it gets colder, the heat runs more often. All of the dampers to the supply and return are adjustable for each part in the zone, and if the heat is running that room can get very warm very fast. Due to all of the insulation, the heat wants to stay in the room. During christmas, my wife raised the thermostat a few degrees so that we could spent time in the sunroom area and that made the movie room much warmer, even if I closed the dampers. During the spring and summer this won't be a problem as the A/C running will give all the cooling we need. Ultimately though, I am considering installing a Mini-Split unit. You can get a really efficient one for about $1,300 and it can operate down to 5 degrees outside (if you get the correct kinds) so it can cool year-round. I haven't decided if I will do this in the future or not, and the biggest problem is of course how the thing looks. I'd have to find some way to hide it if I mounted one of these on my rear-center wall.

My top two priorities are still to get my projector calibrated, and to get the amps in my subs serviced by Axiom. Other than that I am loving the theater, and all of the guests that come by can't get enough of it!
post #1044 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I unstalled the ps3mediaserver plugin to unRaid


I unbelieve it!
post #1045 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I unbelieve it!

Damn you people and your ability to see typos. The I and U keys are right next to each other! I swear!
post #1046 of 2309
Some thoughts on the HVAC. I recall during the project that I wasn't quite convinced the dampers were really doing there job with 100% efficiency, even in the off position I could feel air flow coming through. Since all off that is exposed in the utility room you could take them apart and see what you are working with.

Other ideas:

You could exchange the air in adjacent rooms during the winter rather than the sunroom.

You could install the mini split head unit in the equipment room or the utility room and exchange that air with the theater, preserving your great looking space.

Maybe you could introduce some outside temperature air with the supply to the theater to cool it.

You could buy the misses a sweater and tell her to keep her fingers off the thermostat.

All of these options could be managed by reassigning and redirecting the exposed duct work in the utility room.
post #1047 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Some thoughts on the HVAC. I recall during the project that I wasn't quite convinced the dampers were really doing there job with 100% efficiency, even in the off position I could feel air flow coming through. Since all off that is exposed in the utility room you could take them apart and see what you are working with.

Other ideas:

You could exchange the air in adjacent rooms during the winter rather than the sunroom.

You could install the mini split head unit in the equipment room or the utility room and exchange that air with the theater, preserving your great looking space.

Maybe you could introduce some outside temperature air with the supply to the theater to cool it.

You could buy the misses a sweater and tell her to keep her fingers off the thermostat.

All of these options could be managed by reassigning and redirecting the exposed duct work in the utility room.

I've considered a lot of those things, but except for the extreme scenerios, the "Fan On" is working fine. Over the holidays though the room was warmer than I wanted. A few days of that a year is no big deal to me. I'll have to see how it goes the rest of the winter though. I'll decide on what to do once I see how it goes the rest of the winter. I like my movie rooms colder anyway. Blankets if it is too cold are better than being too hot.

By the way BIG, you would apprecaite hearing my wife's comment the other day when we were showing the theater to some of our guests. She said, "We still need to paint this door..."
post #1048 of 2309
Damelon:

What if you use the 'basement/main level' unit also be the unit for the theater? By turning the fan on, you may be able to cool the theater sufficiently by recirculating air through the rest of the home. If this is inadequate, you could create a separate zone for the theater using your existing HVAC units by having a dedicated thermostat for it (~$3,000). Cooling in the winter may require a 'Low Ambient Control' unit outside - this helps prevent evaporator freeze-ups, low pressure cut-outs and liquid slugged compressor in low ambient conditions. Not very expensive (~$400 installed)
post #1049 of 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Merry Christmas!

So over the weekend I finally finished converting all of the .ISO files I used to have on my hardware raid to MKV and got them onto my unRaid server. I've watched many movies now, played directly through the NAS and I have to say I am more than happy with the performance. Playing the full-bandwidth 1080p stream with the HD-audio requires some decent bandwidth, I'll say that. I installed the ps3mediaserver plugin to unRaid, which allows my MKV files to be played to my 2 PS3s in the house, allowing my media collection to be used from all of our TVs. That works great wired, but the built-in wireless from the PS3 doesn't quite have enough bandwidth for non-pausing playback. Lucky for me I have both locations wired!

I also spent some time tuning the Monster 3D glasses to help with ghosting. Being able to actively adjust the delay settings of the shutters on the glasses while viewing a 3D picture is very helpful.

So this is the time of year that puts a "shared" HVAC system into perspective for a theater room. For those who didn't follow the thread, we have 3 HVAC units in our house. One for the basement/main level, one for the upstairs, and one for the sunroom. Since the sunroom unit was only for one room in the house, and located in the basement, we used this system to provide the HVAC services to the movie room. Once fall it, we just turned down the sunroom thermostat to about 66 and turned the fan to "On" to constantly cycle the air to the theater since it doesn't get any AC. This works great. But as it gets colder, the heat runs more often. All of the dampers to the supply and return are adjustable for each part in the zone, and if the heat is running that room can get very warm very fast. Due to all of the insulation, the heat wants to stay in the room. During christmas, my wife raised the thermostat a few degrees so that we could spent time in the sunroom area and that made the movie room much warmer, even if I closed the dampers. During the spring and summer this won't be a problem as the A/C running will give all the cooling we need. Ultimately though, I am considering installing a Mini-Split unit. You can get a really efficient one for about $1,300 and it can operate down to 5 degrees outside (if you get the correct kinds) so it can cool year-round. I haven't decided if I will do this in the future or not, and the biggest problem is of course how the thing looks. I'd have to find some way to hide it if I mounted one of these on my rear-center wall.

My top two priorities are still to get my projector calibrated, and to get the amps in my subs serviced by Axiom. Other than that I am loving the theater, and all of the guests that come by can't get enough of it!

Hey there D,

This is what I'm doing for my room. We were just talking about it today. I am using a concealed ducted mini split. It is setup the same as a regular HVAC setup except the handler sits up in the ceiling where there is drop ceiling. The rest of my basement will be drop ceiling so this unit will be located in that area it then has a main trunk for supply and return like the one in ur house with the takeoffs for the supply and return. compressor outside. I'm also going to run a return from the outside with a control for the damper for air exchange. this is the cheapest way to do the air exchange cause in the summer u will be pulling in warm outside air but the idea is the ac will be running to cool that air. in the winter cold air outside so no problem to cool the room. there is an add-on that will cool or warm that air as needed but it is a lot. the unit i'm going to use is an LG but i know fujitsu makes one too. i don't know if that is an option for u but it was my way of getting the cleanest look without adding a full new handler and compressor.

Don't know if that helps but it's an idea?

jim
post #1050 of 2309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Hey there D,

This is what I'm doing for my room. We were just talking about it today. I am using a concealed ducted mini split. It is setup the same as a regular HVAC setup except the handler sits up in the ceiling where there is drop ceiling. The rest of my basement will be drop ceiling so this unit will be located in that area it then has a main trunk for supply and return like the one in ur house with the takeoffs for the supply and return. compressor outside. I'm also going to run a return from the outside with a control for the damper for air exchange. this is the cheapest way to do the air exchange cause in the summer u will be pulling in warm outside air but the idea is the ac will be running to cool that air. in the winter cold air outside so no problem to cool the room. there is an add-on that will cool or warm that air as needed but it is a lot. the unit i'm going to use is an LG but i know fujitsu makes one too. i don't know if that is an option for u but it was my way of getting the cleanest look without adding a full new handler and compressor.

Don't know if that helps but it's an idea?

jim

Yeah I've done a lot of looking into HVAC systems and mini-splits and found ones that I really like. But I am going to go a full year with the way things are to see how it is in all seaons.

Right now the air circulation works well, as long as the heat isn't constantly running in the sunroom at a high temp. Right now it is just one room that is a controlled zone. Yes, it has less air to circulate but due to the fact that it is sort of independent, I can run the temp much lower than normal since it is rarely used, especially in the winter.

Going off of the main house HVAC system would be even worse than the sunroom due to the fact that it is kept at a warmer temp. Plus it is all sealed up in the drywall already and I'm not going to mess with that.

If I go with a mini-split the work is minimal for installation. Since there is no actual ducting, you only need to run a few small things through the wall, and that would be easy.

Again, I'm not going to be doing anything at least until next winter if ever. I want to see how it works year round. But I wanted to let everyone know what I am experiencing so far.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The "Bacon Race" Theater / Patio / Bar Project