So, if you have read any details about my equipment setup, you might already know I purchased an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre-amp. I previous was an owner of an integra DTC9.8. When I upgraded to this pre-amp, a few things I made sure it supported were: HDMI 1.4a switching, XLR outs, SUB1&2 XLR outs (which goes with Audessy 32 support usually). As I really liked the quality of my previous Integra unit, and that I had no issues with it from 2006-2011 I figured I'd go with Onkyo/Integra this time around. On researching, I noted that several people had issues with some compounds used in the build process that caused Oxidation, as well as a non-coductive adhesive which sometimes was sprayed everywhere on the main displayboard.
Last Thursday, I noticed that my remote wasn't working. So naturally I assumed my batteries died. I just used the front panel. On Friday, I replaced the batteries, and the remote still didn't work. My memory tugged at me and I revisited the "Official" Onkyo/Integra thread here at AVS and sure enough, the remote ceasing to operate was the precursor to random source-switching and other issues. Being quite comfortable with electronics and decades of building computers for fun, I had no issues opening up my pre-amp unit. Sure enough, the IDE ribbon cable and connectors were covered in oxidation. I went to my local radio shack and got some electronic cleaner spray and some deoxit and went to work. I didn't go the full 9 with the spray, since I didn't want to deal with removing all of the adhesive compound, but I did tackle the oxidation. After re-assembly, the amp powered up and the remote responded to commands. It did however go straight into Audessy setup mode. So I took it apart again and noticed there was still residue from the deoxit in the IDE connector so I cleaned it up again and tried again. Things seem to be back to normal. This is an issue officially addressed by Onkyo/Integra here:
So they will cover this issue no matter what, and I knew that beforehand, but I'd rather not wait 2-6 weeks to get my receiver back if I can take care of it with an hour of work. I'll keep an eye on this and see if there are any other symptoms. Looks like it took about 9 months for any issues to surface.