or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › 7/27 Replacement ReplayTV Service (LaHo) open in BETA!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7/27 Replacement ReplayTV Service (LaHo) open in BETA!!!

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
The Replacement ReplayTV Service (code name LaHo) is now ready for BETA TESTING!!!

details at http://www.percdata.com

Please note the following restrictions in the beta:
  • Only one ReplayTV device per user.
  • You will need to re-add lineups later.
  • Please limit lineups to 70 stations (due to a performance problem we're working on )
  • Remember this is a BETA, expect problems! (and provide feedback!)
  • Dialup and network attached units welcome!
  • These restrictions will be lifted soon.

Let the games begin!
post #2 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
The Replacement ReplayTV Service (code name LaHo) is now ready for BETA TESTING!!!
Congratulations!

I'd like to suggest, again , that you add LaHo to your title as that's the name that folks have been reading the past several weeks and it will help the SEARCH function and GOOGLE (and raw eyeballs on the Index Page) find this thread.

(You might need a Mods help here on AVS to change the title displaying on the Index Page. You could also delete the thread and re-post.)
post #3 of 54
Thread Starter 
Without Mod Privs (I don't think anyone is an active mod here any more) I can't edit the title or delete the thread.

Robet
post #4 of 54
Actually, if you catch it a few minutes after posting, you can edit the title. After a certain time, it locks. If that fails, just hit report post and tell us. Nothing wrong with reporting your own post if you want something changed. It's like ringing our doorbell.
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Actually, if you catch it a few minutes after posting, you can edit the title. After a certain time, it locks. If that fails, just hit report post and tell us. Nothing wrong with reporting your own post if you want something changed. It's like ringing our doorbell.
Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 54
Congrats, Robert. I hope you're wildly successful and make a fortune ... or at least enough for a nice MLT.
post #7 of 54
Thread Starter 
Some people have downloaded data (even over dialup), but others signed up but don't appear to be successful....

How about some feedback guys!!!
post #8 of 54
Just wanted to expess my gratitude (I'm sure that this is echoed by many others) for all of the effort you've put in on this project (given the limited time frame that you had to work with)!

I'm hoping that all of the bugs are worked out shortly and then I'm on board!

Please keep us posted.
post #9 of 54
Robert,

Can you clarify...

If I connect my 3060 to this new service, will it modify anything in the Replay so that I will no longer be able to connect to the current DNNA service?

Thanks for keeping the dream alive!!
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post

Some people have downloaded data (even over dialup), but others signed up but don't appear to be successful....

How about some feedback guys!!!

Hi Robert-

Everything seemed to go smoothly -- I got the usual SS messages about connecting, setting the clock, etc. I picked my provider and it went through getting the channel information, but the channel guide was empty.

I tried it twice, same result, no show listings.

-Susan
post #11 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post

Robert,

Can you clarify...

If I connect my 3060 to this new service, will it modify anything in the Replay so that I will no longer be able to connect to the current DNNA service?

Thanks for keeping the dream alive!!

You'll choose a lineup that won't be compatible with DNNA. I haven't tried it, but I think running through the initialization should fix it.

Robert
post #12 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post

Hi Robert-

Everything seemed to go smoothly -- I got the usual SS messages about connecting, setting the clock, etc. I picked my provider and it went through getting the channel information, but the channel guide was empty.

I tried it twice, same result, no show listings.

Very strange... is the time on your unit correct?
You did "save settings" after choosing a provider, right?
You can try a "clear channel guide" on 243 zones, it will reboot and then you can do a 243 connect.

I also suggest you shut down WiRNS if you were using it. I had an issue where the replay kept going to WiRNS for some reason.

*** UPDATE *** Ryan just saw the same thing and is looking into it.

Robert
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post

Hi Robert-

Everything seemed to go smoothly -- I got the usual SS messages about connecting, setting the clock, etc. I picked my provider and it went through getting the channel information, but the channel guide was empty.

I tried it twice, same result, no show listings.

-Susan

Hi Susan,

I apologize for the guide issue. I found the problem and resolved it. You will get guide data now.

Just go to setup > connect to replaytv on your replay.

Ryan
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbolen70 View Post

Hi Susan,

I apologize for the guide issue. I found the problem and resolved it. You will get guide data now.

Just go to setup > connect to replaytv on your replay.

Ryan

Hi Ryan-

Okay, got it now.

BTW, there's no "Setup > Connect to ReplayTV" on ancient units like my HS2000, but 243 Zones lets you do a forced network connection. Probably everyone here with the same unit knows this, but I have a friend with one who was never aware of this since she never had to force a connection in all the time she's had it. It might be good to provide specific instructions for these older dial-up units. I can write up the steps for the HS2000 if needed.

Anyway, looks good so far, and thanks for the quick fix!

-Susan
post #15 of 54
Robert,

Well, It looks like you were mistaken that it would be easy to revert back to DNNA after trying LaHo.

After testing the connection to the LaHo server over the phone on my 3060 using Google Voice (which appears to work, by the way), I now no longer have any phone numbers to access the DNNA servers.

The only phone number available is the "AnyTown, USA" LaHo phone number.

The lookup tool on the ReplayTV website no longer works for finding phone numbers, but I knew that they used EarthLink, so I went to their web site and got some local numbers. I was then able to dial on an extension and do a netconnect and got all the EarthLink/DNNA numbers back.

I was afraid this would happen, but at least it wasn't too painful getting them back.

Just a warning for those of you testing out the new service! Once you go LaHo, you might have to do some tricks to go back...

Of course, if everything goes as planned, there will be no need to go back after 7/31 anyway, so not a real big deal.
post #16 of 54
Just curious, once LaHo was working for you why did you want to go back to DNNA for the remaining few days?
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin View Post

Just curious, once LaHo was working for you why did you want to go back to DNNA for the remaining few days?

My reason is wanting the nag messages back (on this one unit) to see what happens to them at the end of this month.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin View Post
Just curious, once LaHo was working for you why did you want to go back to DNNA for the remaining few days?
I was just running some tests with Google Voice to see if it would work to make the nightly long distance call toll-free.

I have several 5xxx machines that I will be using with WiRNS, so don't really need the LaHo service (I will be retiring my 3060). However, if I do decide to bring it back in service, I now know that I can probably do it without paying for a nightly toll call (if LaHo adds another phone number that will dial "#" at the end.)
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin View Post
Just curious, once LaHo was working for you why did you want to go back to DNNA for the remaining few days?
A lot of folks probably have production lineups with more than 70 channels that they might want to restore after testing. (I certainly do.)
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
The lookup tool on the ReplayTV website no longer works for finding phone numbers, but I knew that they used EarthLink, so I went to their web site and got some local numbers. I was then able to dial on an extension and do a netconnect and got all the EarthLink/DNNA numbers back.
I presume, though, that the same trick used to switch from DNNA to LaHo should work to switch back, right?

That is, if I write down the current local phone number the unit is using with DNNA, I could then enter that as a dialing prefix in the initial setup dialog to have it call DNNA instead of LaHo, right?
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
I presume, though, that the same trick used to switch from DNNA to LaHo should work to switch back, right?

That is, if I write down the current local phone number the unit is using with DNNA, I could then enter that as a dialing prefix in the initial setup dialog to have it call DNNA instead of LaHo, right?
Yes, that should work.

I didn't do this because I was testing Google Voice and you can not fit phone numbers needed in the prefix list, so when I went in the opposite direction, I just did the same thing with dialing on an extension and hitting net-connect (without messing with the prefix).

For reverting back, it should work fine, because the number will fit in the dialing prefix.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
[*]Remember this is a BETA, expect problems! (and provide feedback!)
Robert,

The ReplayTV Instructions link at the bottom of the Replay FAQ seems to point back to the generic Perc FAQ.

Or in other words, the following links appear to serve identical info:

http://www.percdata.com/faq/laho
http://www.percdata.com/faq
post #23 of 54
Everything worked on my HS1000, except the channel guide is empty. I did just sign up in the last hour - don't know if that had any effect.

EDIT: Can't explain this one...the channel guide appears empty, BUT.... I have "The Big Bang Theory" set to record every week. It's recording the show right now, and the correct episode info appears in the Replay Guide for the episode! So apparently the channel guide info is on the box, just not being displayed.
post #24 of 54
Still cant get my 5504 to download laho guide data. I tried a 243 Zones and cleared the guide. tried connecting, It appears to set the clock, I see a Laho registration button on the main setup menu so I know it got through. The interesting thing is that the channel lineup still shows my old provider. but no show data still. ( selected a lineup that was just analog cable for this beta test) gets unexpected result error 93a60001. tried to change the zip code to initialize the guide. no change. Any ideas?? Rick
post #25 of 54
Suggestion (until someone more knowledgeable comes along) -

Do a 243 zones connect. That's what it took to migrate one of my R3K's.

Worth a try, and probably won't cause any damage.

Just wanted to add that I was migrating from "replaycentral dial" to local WiRNS connect, not to the LaHo service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfendrick View Post

Everything worked on my HS1000, except the channel guide is empty. I did just sign up in the last hour - don't know if that had any effect.
post #26 of 54
Thread Starter 
FYI.. better instructions for dialup users to use Perc/LaHo

http://www.percdata.com/faq/setup_rtv3000
post #27 of 54
Been watching the drama as this all unfolded... I'm probably one of many. I haven't had anything intelligent to add to the conversation so I just watched and waited....

Finally!!! LaHo to the rescue. Like many of the others here, of course I could have done the WiRNs thing, but I like simplicity. Simple for me means that when I travel, there is no special computer that my wife and son might break and cause lots of unhappiness for me. I'm totally fine with $7 per month, or a yearly rate, or, shall I say it? Yes, I'd consider a lifetime activation.

At any rate, the update has progressed to 70% while I typed. I'll play a bit with it and report back.

Thanks to all for making this happen.

David
post #28 of 54
Ok, here's what I see:

Get's the channel guide.
Sets the clock.
Updates Zones.
Does some other stuff, the first time took quite a while.

Now I get this message:
Unexpected result code 93a60001

I have no idea what to do next. I'll just wait for others to post.

Thanks
post #29 of 54
to my friggin' amazement EVERYTHING WORKS! No hitches, glitches, or hiccups!

Many thanks. I wish there was a way to tell all RTV users about this.

seattlesluff
post #30 of 54
FYI...

A Headend mapping change was made. Be sure to do a zipcode change on your replay to pick up the new headend. Otherwise, you may not get guide data.

Ryan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › 7/27 Replacement ReplayTV Service (LaHo) open in BETA!!!