or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Has anyone had success eliminating the dark corners on these sets?

I'd buy one of these sets in a minute, if it wasn't for this (to me) glaring pq drawback.

Some have had success with edge lit sets reducing flashlighting by tapping or rubbing on the affected areas of the screen with a microfiber cloth.

I realize the Sharp 70 inchers are fully backlit so their darkened corners are the exact opposite problem edge lit sets have - too little backlight in the corners, rather than backlight bleed, so massaging the screen, or backing off screws on the unit might not be effective.

I don't mean to dump on these sets, for people that own them and are happy with the pq. The darkened corners jumped out at me the first time I saw the set, and have been present on every sample I have seen at Sears, Sam's and BB. I could not live with the set with the uneven backlighting in those 4 corner areas.

I have the 735 and yes there is slight darkening in all 4 corners but it is only seen against a white or very light background and it is not in any area where your eyes are focusing their attention. I NEVER see it when watching TV or DVDs. The only time I see it is if I am LOOKING for it on a light background. People talk about this here and on the 732 thread and if this is what is keeping you from buying this TV then your all missing out on a great set. Is the stuff your watching so boring that your eyes wander to the corners of the TV set and notice a 3mm area of slightly darker picture?
post #122 of 1646
i am now considering this set, where is the best place to buy one nowadays. I am considering bestbuy/magnolia and doing some haggling.
post #123 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

i am now considering this set, where is the best place to buy one nowadays. I am considering bestbuy/magnolia and doing some haggling.

I'd like to know as well.
post #124 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

i am now considering this set, where is the best place to buy one nowadays. I am considering bestbuy/magnolia and doing some haggling.

Hit up robert at value electronics or Chris at cleveland plasma. BB is for suckers
post #125 of 1646
Question for 735 owners... have you noticed the Soap Opera Effect with this set on 2D content?

the reason I'm asking... I'm one of those weirdo's that LIKES the SOE on occasion. It would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.

Just wondering if its apparent on this set.
post #126 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Hit up robert at value electronics or Chris at cleveland plasma. BB is for suckers

First its not nice to steer business to direct competitor. No class.
Check out Cleveland's no return (or 25% restocking fee) policy.
BB is about the only local retailer left, so we do need to support them.
Look for a BB/Magnolia undergoing remodeling. Everything in the store was a good deal!
post #127 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop32 View Post

Question for 735 owners... have you noticed the Soap Opera Effect with this set on 2D content?

the reason I'm asking... I'm one of those weirdo's that LIKES the SOE on occasion. It would be nice to be able to turn it on and off.

Just wondering if its apparent on this set.

So do I. i like lots of amination and HDTV, so most is not film.
I use 240Hz at night (its darker) and 120 during the day. Backlight stays on 2.
The picture is pristine clean with very minor compression artifacts. Less noise than plasma so its a naturally smoother image.
The new levels of fidelity must be attributed to the new generation of all-in-one Mediatek video processor combined with the x-gen panel.
The color clarity does match my older reference Pioneer 141 Kuro Elite Signature - at 60" for double the price! With ~four times the heat generated and no 3D.

You guys don't know how good you have it!
post #128 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

I have the 735 and yes there is slight darkening in all 4 corners but it is only seen against a white or very light background and it is not in any area where your eyes are focusing their attention. I NEVER see it when watching TV or DVDs. The only time I see it is if I am LOOKING for it on a light background. People talk about this here and on the 732 thread and if this is what is keeping you from buying this TV then your all missing out on a great set. Is the stuff your watching so boring that your eyes wander to the corners of the TV set and notice a 3mm area of slightly darker picture?

It's not that the material doesn't keep my interest (well, except for some of the TV shows the wife picks).

My eyes were immediately drawn to this when I first saw the set. I was especially surprised due to the set having full vs edge lit backlighting. This is supposed to really help uniformity - if properly done.

Having seen the flaw, I could never live with it.

Since seeing the dark corners on the 70" set, I have checked out the other Sharp screen sizes. I've seen it clearly on the 60" sets in several stores. It is a smaller area affected, but demonstrates that Sharp did cut some corners (no pun intended, but it works) with their current models.
post #129 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

First its not nice to steer business to direct competitor. No class.
Check out Cleveland's no return (or 25% restocking fee) policy.
BB is about the only local retailer left, so we do need to support them.
Look for a BB/Magnolia undergoing remodeling. Everything in the store was a good deal!

Based on this statement either you work for BB or own a lot of stock. Never the less, its more than well documented in many cases how bb has had numerous questionable tactics in screwing consumers. Check your compass mate.
post #130 of 1646
[quote=HiFiFun;20909851]First its not nice to steer business to direct competitor. No class.
Check out Cleveland's no return (or 25% restocking fee) policy.
BB is about the only local retailer left, so we do need to support them.
Look for a BB/Magnolia undergoing remodeling. Everything in the store was a good deal
{Quote} so we do need to support them.

who the hell makes a statement like that. wow...you must be there #1 customer.
post #131 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

First its not nice to steer business to direct competitor. No class.
Check out Cleveland's no return (or 25% restocking fee) policy.
BB is about the only local retailer left, so we do need to support them.
Look for a BB/Magnolia undergoing remodeling. Everything in the store was a good deal!

Robert and Chis are both solid guys and Cleveland Plasma is a forum sponsor and a good contributor to this forum.
I have no allegiance to BB nor do I have a reason to. As far as I'm concerned they are a last resort.
post #132 of 1646
Folks,
If you buy from BB, ask them to check the combo which includes 2 pairs of glasses. I bought a 735 on Friday it and they included 2 pairs of glasses with a combo special they were running but not advertising.
post #133 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

I went with the 735 for the 3D. I would hate to regret down the road not spending the few hundred dollars more especially if 3D takes off. I am going to spend the $99 for the 3 year additional warranty at Costco just in case something goes wrong.

Wait, Costco sells the 735? I was just there today looking and they had the 733 on display. They said that was the only 70 they carried.
post #134 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Wait, Costco sells the 735? I was just there today looking and they had the 733 on display. They said that was the only 70 they carried.

No, Costco only sells the 733. They sell their warranty on any TV even if they did not sell it from their store. If you buy the 733 and the warranty you get a total of 5 years of coverage. If you buy the 735 from a different vendor you can purchase Costco's 3 year warranty that starts after Sharp's 15 month warranty ends, which is 4 years and 3 months total warranty. If you want to buy the additional 3 year warranty form Costco you have to bring in your original receipt and it has to be purchased within 3 months of the TV's purchase (check the website to verify the exact number of months but I'm pretty sure it is 3 months).
post #135 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

No, Costco only sells the 733. They sell their warranty on any TV even if they did not sell it from their store. If you buy the 733 and the warranty you get a total of 5 years of coverage. If you buy the 735 from a different vendor you can purchase Costco's 3 year warranty that starts after Sharp's 15 month warranty ends, which is 4 years and 3 months total warranty. If you want to buy the additional 3 year warranty form Costco you have to bring in your original receipt and it has to be purchased within 3 months of the TV's purchase (check the website to verify the exact number of months but I'm pretty sure it is 3 months).

Gotcha. Thanks. Now am I need is to find a decent price on the 735.
post #136 of 1646
On another note, I see some talk about the 80" in this thread. I was at Sam's Club last week looking at the 733 and there was a Sharp rep in the store who walked up to me while I was looking. First thing out of his mouth was that there is a new 80" model coming soon. I told him that I had read that (here of course) on the internet and that I had heard that it would be a few months. He said he just had a meeting the day before and was told maybe 3-4 weeks. I asked him what he thought retail would be on one and he said they were aiming for a $3,600-$3,800 retail price. Of course he could be full of crap so take it with a grain of salt, but he actually told me to wait a few weeks for the 80". Wouldn't seem like something you would expect from a manufacturer's rep.
post #137 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

On another note, I see some talk about the 80" in this thread. I was at Sam's Club last week looking at the 733 and there was a Sharp rep in the store who walked up to me while I was looking. First thing out of his mouth was that there is a new 80" model coming soon. I told him that I had read that (here of course) on the internet and that I had heard that it would be a few months. He said he just had a meeting the day before and was told maybe 3-4 weeks. I asked him what he thought retail would be on one and he said they were aiming for a $3,600-$3,800 retail price. Of course he could be full of crap so take it with a grain of salt, but he actually told me to wait a few weeks for the 80". Wouldn't seem like something you would expect from a manufacturer's rep.

The big question is when is the 80" version going to be out with 3D and Quatron (735 equivalent) and at what price. My guess is street is going to be $5000 or just over.
post #138 of 1646
Thread Starter 
I will eat my shirt if an 80 inch comes in under 4k. Not doubting you but absolutely the sharp rep
post #139 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I will eat my shirt if an 80 inch comes in under 4k. Not doubting you but absolutely the sharp rep

I would guess that you are probably right. I usually wouldn't even mention the conversation. The only thing that struck me weird was that when I told him that I was going to buy either the 732/733 or a 735 and that I was just trying to decide which, he told me to wait a few weeks. That seemed odd to me from a Sharp rep who was there trying to push sales of his product.

Doesn't matter to me as I'm not interested in a stripped down unit, even at 80". If the 735 equivalent was coming in a couple of weeks, that would pique my interest.
post #140 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

The big question is when is the 80" version going to be out with 3D...

Yeah, that's the one I really want!
post #141 of 1646
I have another question and maybe someone can help. Other than 3D, what is the difference between the 733 and 735? I looked and the 733 was 240Hz Aquamotion, so is there any other difference?
post #142 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I will eat my shirt if an 80 inch comes in under 4k. Not doubting you but absolutely the sharp rep

Is the shirt cotton or synthetic?
post #143 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Robert and Chis are both solid guys and Cleveland Plasma is a forum sponsor and a good contributor to this forum.
I have no allegiance to BB nor do I have a reason to. As far as I'm concerned they are a last resort.

I'll wave when I see you guys at Magnolia comparing the 735 to the double priced Elite model.

No other store will have this offering. So even though I too have issues with them, I feel compelled to support them for the many trips to see what is best. I'm not a freeloader.
Sharp is limiting distribution of these displays, so its local only.

Who takes advice from car dealers on what to buy? I just purchased a car this past week after battling sales managers to no-end. Finally I spoke with the General Manager who rephrased my question, so that I would save more with the rare base model, and let me install a custom stereo/Bluetooth/mp3. Needless to say I purchased the car adding in the Nissan rebates. Everyone else go pay 10% more, plus over-list-price, hyped to-no-end, not-in-stock Hyundai. The secret is you gotta build the hype. So send the raiding parties over to AVS.

So like dudes will an Elite dealer show you why their model is worth double over the 735? Or will you simply buy into the marketing hype? The crystal ball says the Elite will win the next display face-off, as the outcome is already predestined.
Seriously I'm so excited I gotta go now and get a Depends.
post #144 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Hifi enjoy your sour grapes mate. Its obvious your bashing is likely because you cant afford the price tag of the elite so you've gone on a rant about buying a car and screwing down the manager? I would imagine you will get all huffy and puffy when the manager at BB says no to your haggle.

End result is this, buy your 735 and enjoy it. If any of us chooses to buy an elite no matter the price, its our god given right. Your attempt at positioning us as foolish because you have no value in high end items is just silly. To each is own so go carry your torch somewhere else please.

oh and before I forget, while it may not be worth the extra thousands, enjoy the dark four corners on your 735. I have a 732 already and its a draw back of your "base model"
post #145 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I have a 732 already and its a draw back of your "base model"

I have never recommended the 70" 732 or 733. I was never impressed with their PQ.
So dear friend get your facts straight: the 735 is the base model to Elite. Lets not forget the Elite was to be launched as the Sharp 935.

The 732 and 734 has just dropped $500. Guess why?
Count your savings!
A guy just bought a 735 for what the 732 used to sell for. The 3D is AWESOME!
To each his own.
post #146 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I have never recommended the 70" 732 or 733. I was never impressed with their PQ.
So dear friend get your facts straight: the 735 is the base model to Elite. Lets not forget the Elite was to be launched as the Sharp 935.

The 732 and 734 has just dropped $500. Guess why?
Count your savings!
A guy just bought a 735 for what the 732 used to sell for. The 3D is AWESOME!
To each his own.

can you pm me what the cost was? Thanks!

As much as i'd love to support forum sponsors, buying it locally and at a better price sounds good to me anyday, because local usually means not cheap!
post #147 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I will eat my shirt if an 80 inch comes in under 4k. Not doubting you but absolutely the sharp rep

You will not be eating your shirt.....I can assure you of that. Street price will be just under 5K for the 80".
post #148 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You will not be eating your shirt.....I can assure you of that. Street price will be just under 5K for the 80".

Well Just below 5k is still an absolutely a sick price for an eighty inch lcd flat panel television
post #149 of 1646
Any of you guys mount this thing on the wall? If so, what mount are you using? My TV gets here in 10 days & I want everything to be ready!

Thanks!
post #150 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

So do I. i like lots of amination and HDTV, so most is not film.
I use 240Hz at night (its darker) and 120 during the day. Backlight stays on 2.
The picture is pristine clean with very minor compression artifacts. Less noise than plasma so its a naturally smoother image.
The new levels of fidelity must be attributed to the new generation of all-in-one Mediatek video processor combined with the x-gen panel.
The color clarity does match my older reference Pioneer 141 Kuro Elite Signature - at 60" for double the price! With ~four times the heat generated and no 3D.

You guys don't know how good you have it!

so does this set produce the Soap Opera Effect or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread