or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread - Page 49

post #1441 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.

Mine does the exact same thing and I already measured all 4 corners of the cabinet to make sure that it's leveled perfectly. But this backward-tilting turns out to be good for my case as my cabinet is only 18" high, so when I stand up to play Wii, the TV screen now faces me more than if it was 100% straight or forward-tilting. But like others say, it's relatively straightforward to right this tilt if you are a perfectionist or don't stand up to play video games.
post #1442 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I never really noticed because i put a shim under the back right away.
I have a half inch shim running under the back of the base so it tilts forward. The half inch shim is enough to tilt the tv so that the top is actually 2 inches more forward than the bottom of tv.

I wonder where you got that idea?
post #1443 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakev View Post

Can anyone tells me if it is normal for the tv to be tilted back while it is on the stand? The tv does not sit strait up and down while on the stand. I think I have the stand put together correctly.

I'm not sure if the 735 uses the same stand as the Elite or not, but check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...58702&page=244
post #1444 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I wonder where you got that idea?

Heard it through the geek vine.
post #1445 of 1646
I received my 735 last week and spent some time setting it up. Used the calibration settings found around the net. Tweaked a little here and there and will still probably get it professionally calibrated. I live in the Houston area and was looking for some suggestions on who to hire. I read some folks recommending Jeff Meier and may give him a call.

Absolutely loving this TV! I really am completely satisfied with the purchase and glad that I decided to go with the 735 versus the 745. The only minor issue that I've noticed is the darkening of the corners which I've read about in previous posts. This is minor and I'm happy this is the only issue that I'm dealing with.

I'm posting a pic of my setup. By the way if you have a PS3 and haven't played Uncharted 3 on this thing you should. It's stunning and hands down the best looking game I've seen on a console.

Anyway let me know what you guys think of the setup.
LL
post #1446 of 1646
Here is another pic.

Attachment 242379
LL
post #1447 of 1646
Nice pics! I see you have it on the final 4. Did you notice the poor quality of the HD image on the main camera during the game? It looked SD to me, while other camera shots not on the action looked HD. I dont know why CBS has such a hard time with sports in HD, especially basketball. Never did like 1080i for sports.
post #1448 of 1646
Thanks! Yea I did notice that. For that big of an event I have no idea either. You're right it looked like SD. Disappointed to say the least.
post #1449 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalak View Post

I received my 735 last week and spent some time setting it up. Used the calibration settings found around the net. Tweaked a little here and there and will still probably get it professionally calibrated. I live in the Houston area and was looking for some suggestions on who to hire. I read some folks recommending Jeff Meier and may give him a call.

.

jeff meier (UMR here on the forum) did my xbr2 sxrd many years ago..he is very good.
post #1450 of 1646
I am having a really hard time deciding what to do :-(

Should I just buy 735U (full array) or buy LC70LE847U (edge lit)? They are both priced the same but 735U is full array. I haven't seen 847U in person but it's suppose to have Quad Pixel Plus 2.

Quote:


Engineered for large screen TV’s to better enhance the definition of diagonal lines. Quad Pixel Plus 2 reduces unwanted ridging and blurring effects by increasing the precision control found in Quad Pixel Plus.

Is it just marketing bs? Should I stay away from any Edge lit due to screen uniformity issue or sharp's don't have this problem?

Thanks
post #1451 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

I am having a really hard time deciding what to do :-(

Should I just buy 735U (full array) or buy LC70LE847U (edge lit)? They are both priced the same but 735U is full array. I haven't seen 847U in person but it's suppose to have Quad Pixel Plus 2.

Is it just marketing bs? Should I stay away from any Edge lit due to screen uniformity issue or sharp's don't have this problem?

Thanks

At this size I would stay away from edge lit if possible
post #1452 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

I am having a really hard time deciding what to do :-(

Should I just buy 735U (full array) or buy LC70LE847U (edge lit)? They are both priced the same but 735U is full array. I haven't seen 847U in person but it's suppose to have Quad Pixel Plus 2.



Is it just marketing bs? Should I stay away from any Edge lit due to screen uniformity issue or sharp's don't have this problem?

Thanks

Speaking from my personal experience I'm not regretting the decision to go with the 735 over the 2012 models. Like I stated above, if the only issue that I'm dealing with is the slight darkening at the corners I'm happy. People only notice it when I point it out and it usually only appears when it's projecting a solid color.
post #1453 of 1646
Welp, at my local best buy, they sold out of the 70" 735u including the floor sample. There were a lot of empty spaces -- getting ready to put out new models in the Magnolia section. So I hope the 945 does come out soon, otherwise I'll have to look at other models.

John
post #1454 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsDad View Post

Welp, at my local best buy, they sold out of the 70" 735u including the floor sample. There were a lot of empty spaces -- getting ready to put out new models in the Magnolia section. So I hope the 945 does come out soon, otherwise I'll have to look at other models.

John

Sorry dont expect to see a 945 anytime soon
post #1455 of 1646
I have 70" 735 Model. Does anyone know how to turn off the 3D messages which show up on the screen when it detects 3D content (like message to put on 3D glasses or take off glasses when 3D signal switches to 2D). I am not able to find any settings.

Also anyone knows how to stop inactivity message TV shows (it displays a countdown about TV switching off automatically in xx minutes because of inactivity even though its still displaying signal on the TV..not sure why it thinks there is no activity happening !!)
post #1456 of 1646
The 735 is my second 3D Tv, the one I had before this was a Toshiba 55" and both TVs have the 3D warning message. I think it is standard on all 3D Tv's to protect themselves from ridiculous lawsuits. Don't forget someone sued McDonald's once for coffee that was to hot...sad times. I have looked all over myself to see if there is a way to turn it off but have never found one. I hate it especially when you are watching something in SBS format, having to pause and wait for the message to disappear.
post #1457 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasorbust74 View Post

The 735 is my second 3D Tv, the one I had before this was a Toshiba 55" and both TVs have the 3D warning message. I think it is standard on all 3D Tv's to protect themselves from ridiculous lawsuits. Don't forget someone sued McDonald's once for coffee that was to hot...sad times. I have looked all over myself to see if there is a way to turn it off but have never found one. I hate it especially when you are watching something in SBS format, having to pause and wait for the message to disappear.

Side note, sorry for the thread derail: I heard an interesting interview just a few weeks ago with the attorney in that very McDonald's case you mentioned (which is why this is fresh in my mind). Turns out McDonald's was serving coffee that was literally only about 20 degrees below boiling... which can cause 3rd degree burns in mere seconds. The 79-year-old lady who was burned was actually seriously burned (third degree burns all over her groin area because her clothing kept the hot liquid in contact with her skin until she could get out of it) and spent over a week in a burn unit getting new skin grafted on, and years of followup care was required. For all that, she actually only sued for $18k (actual medical costs and a small amount of lost income), and McDonalds tried to low-ball her with $800, after all that, so the case actually went to trial and resulted in a much higher settlement. So while that case is often ridiculed as the poster child for frivolous lawsuits, ironically, it was actually a pretty legitimate case once you saw the actual facts in the case.

Again, sorry for the thread hijack, I just found that interview fascinating.
post #1458 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG View Post

I have 70" 735 Model. Does anyone know how to turn off the 3D messages which show up on the screen when it detects 3D content (like message to put on 3D glasses or take off glasses when 3D signal switches to 2D). I am not able to find any settings.

Also anyone knows how to stop inactivity message TV shows (it displays a countdown about TV switching off automatically in xx minutes because of inactivity even though its still displaying signal on the TV..not sure why it thinks there is no activity happening !!)

Maybe you should read the manual.
post #1459 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

So while that case is often ridiculed as the poster child for frivolous lawsuits, ironically, it was actually a pretty legitimate case once you saw the actual facts in the case.

Sorry, but it was not a legitimate case. Coffee is best when brewed at around 200 degrees.

McDonalds didn't tell her to put the coffee between her legs or tell her is was OK to try and drink it and drive.

There's a reason for Darwinism.
post #1460 of 1646
I just bought the 735 and found it doesn't scale 3d blu-ray content to fit the screen. Do the newer Sharp models coming out do this (such as the LC70LE847U)? I really hate watching movies with black bars and need to decide whether I should return the TV or not...
post #1461 of 1646
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I just bought the 735 and found it doesn't scale 3d blu-ray content to fit the screen. Do the newer Sharp models coming out do this (such as the LC70LE847U)? I really hate watching movies with black bars and need to decide whether I should return the TV or not...

Its not the tv.....what you are seeing is how the director formatted. Some are full screen some have the bars. Hit your view mode button and make sure it say dot to dot
post #1462 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Sorry, but it was not a legitimate case. Coffee is best when brewed at around 200 degrees.

McDonalds didn't tell her to put the coffee between her legs or tell her is was OK to try and drink it and drive.

There's a reason for Darwinism.

Read the facts of the case before you judge just by looking at the surface. There are lots and lots of websites discussing it, google will bring tons of hits... and they all pretty agree that there is a real case there (those that actually look at the facts, that is, as opposed to those that are just out for a laugh). It has nothing to do with the brewing temp, btw, but rather the serving temp.

While it seems absurd on it's face, saying "someone sued because they spilled their coffee", once you get into the details it's not a cut-and-dried case of Darwinism. And McDonald's obstinate counsel made things far, far worse than they needed to be.

Feel free to form your own opinion... but let's not clutter this thread further with irrelevant discussion.
post #1463 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its not the tv.....what you are seeing is how the director formatted. Some are full screen some have the bars. Hit your view mode button and make sure it say dot to dot

The movie is supposed to have black bars; I don't want black bars. When I hit view mode, it does nothing to scale 3D content. Everything works fine for regular blu-rays...
post #1464 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

The movie is supposed to have black bars; I don't want black bars. When I hit view mode, it does nothing to scale 3D content. Everything works fine for regular blu-rays...

Go into the settings on your blu ray player and see if you can adjust to full screen.
post #1465 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I just bought the 735 and found it doesn't scale 3d blu-ray content to fit the screen. Do the newer Sharp models coming out do this (such as the LC70LE847U)? I really hate watching movies with black bars and need to decide whether I should return the TV or not...

You should return the TV because, to be honest, it's too good for your needs. When you blow everything up to fill the screen, you're losing a lot of the quality the 735 (or any modern TV) is capable of. You gain a full screen at the cost of lots of resolution. In the 80's into the 90's many films were filmed at 1.85 spherical and would pretty much fill your screen. But for the last ten years or so more films are made at 2.40x1 widescreen than 1.85 and will have black bars.
post #1466 of 1646
I see where BB is pricing the 845 at $200 more than the 735.
post #1467 of 1646
Hi All, looking for some feedback, have been thinking about the 70LE735 for a while versus the 745. Seems this is better choice due to the backlighting (as compared to the edge lit). Anyway, was in the local Best Buy today and they had a floor model for $2899. Happened to have the manager there and he was willing to go 10% less, so ~$2600. I know that's pretty good, especially since these are hard to find now.

Asked to have them pull up a service menu to look at the hours on it, and he told me he couldn't do it. Hard to believe...is there a way to check this? He told me that it had been on the floor since Sept 2011, so my rough estimate is 2000 hours on it (12 hours a day for 180 days). No dings or scratches on it and I looked pretty closely. Was pushing the service plan for $300 for 3 years which covers everything. Normally don't buy them but in the case I think I would.

Any thoughts....would you pull the trigger or wait to see what the 745 looks like. Seems like the verdict is not in on that yet..

Thanks
post #1468 of 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarans View Post

Hi All, looking for some feedback, have been thinking about the 70LE735 for a while versus the 745. Seems this is better choice due to the backlighting (as compared to the edge lit). Anyway, was in the local Best Buy today and they had a floor model for $2899. Happened to have the manager there and he was willing to go 10% less, so ~$2600. I know that's pretty good, especially since these are hard to find now.

Asked to have them pull up a service menu to look at the hours on it, and he told me he couldn't do it. Hard to believe...is there a way to check this? He told me that it had been on the floor since Sept 2011, so my rough estimate is 2000 hours on it (12 hours a day for 180 days). No dings or scratches on it and I looked pretty closely. Was pushing the service plan for $300 for 3 years which covers everything. Normally don't buy them but in the case I think I would.

Any thoughts....would you pull the trigger or wait to see what the 745 looks like. Seems like the verdict is not in on that yet..

Thanks

See if they have all the accessories for it, remote, manual, base. If so, I'd say snag it before someone else does. You might want to look into the Sharp service plan instead of the Best Buy service plan..See if they will toss in a pair or two of 3D glasses...
post #1469 of 1646
Wow, how pretentious on telling me how to live and what to buy!?!

First of all, you're not even correct. Since blu-ray content includes the black bars in the 1080p resolution, a movie's picture has less pixels when scaled to 2.4:1. I don't know about 3D blu-ray content, but I know this is true for 2D blu-rays.

I agree, I am only losing the sides of the 2.40:1 content, but the middle could not possibly lose detail or quality unless the scaler inside the Sharp TV sucks, which it doesn't from what I can tell. This is how I like to watch movies: without bars. I'm not going to change my viewing habbits based on what you say, get over it.

Secondly, I'm asking two questions:
1. can the new Sharp 70LE847u scale 3D blu-ray content, if not what large TV does 55" or greater?
2. my 70LE735u does not seem to scale a 3D blu-ray, is it working properly?

If you don't have the answers, please don't respond as I don't need lifestyle advice from you. If I want to watch my new Sharp TV upside down, that's my prerogative too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

You should return the TV because, to be honest, it's too good for your needs. When you blow everything up to fill the screen, you're losing a lot of the quality the 735 (or any modern TV) is capable of. You gain a full screen at the cost of lots of resolution. In the 80's into the 90's many films were filmed at 1.85 spherical and would pretty much fill your screen. But for the last ten years or so more films are made at 2.40x1 widescreen than 1.85 and will have black bars.
post #1470 of 1646
I won't mention prices, but I know first hand HH Gregg can give you a new one in the box with 2 sets of glasses for a little more. Definitely, haggle with them too and see who comes out lowest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarans View Post

Hi All, looking for some feedback, have been thinking about the 70LE735 for a while versus the 745. Seems this is better choice due to the backlighting (as compared to the edge lit). Anyway, was in the local Best Buy today and they had a floor model for $2899. Happened to have the manager there and he was willing to go 10% less, so ~$2600. I know that's pretty good, especially since these are hard to find now.

Asked to have them pull up a service menu to look at the hours on it, and he told me he couldn't do it. Hard to believe...is there a way to check this? He told me that it had been on the floor since Sept 2011, so my rough estimate is 2000 hours on it (12 hours a day for 180 days). No dings or scratches on it and I looked pretty closely. Was pushing the service plan for $300 for 3 years which covers everything. Normally don't buy them but in the case I think I would.

Any thoughts....would you pull the trigger or wait to see what the 745 looks like. Seems like the verdict is not in on that yet..

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE735U Owners Thread