or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Yamaha BD-A1010 Universal Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha BD-A1010 Universal Player - Page 9

post #241 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

As I mentioned early in this thread, I have a dedicated SACD player for 2-channel music. So I rarely use A1010 for SACD playback, and because of this I was totally unaware of the SACD-R compatibility.
Well, I just tried my first ever SACD-R on A1010 a moment ago, it recognised the disc as DVD, but sending the raw DSD signal to my RX-V1900. Sounds pretty good to me without problems.

I'll bite, what is SACD-R???

A quick search of www.wikipedia.org turns up meaningless refs for possible meaning of SACD-R.
post #242 of 322
I bypassed Wikipedia, but Google immediately confirmed an SACD-R is an SACD ISO image burned to DVD-R (using software like, Imgburn, I presume).
post #243 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I bypassed Wikipedia, but Google immediately confirmed an SACD-R is an SACD ISO image burned to DVD-R (using software like, Imgburn, I presume).

Vinnie, what in the world are you doing over here? Are you stalking me? I thought you were a Ohpoopoo owner now ;-)
post #244 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

I just picked up a Yamaha BD-A1010 and it's my first player that supports BD-Live. I popped in a disc and selected BD-Live and it said that this feature requires local storage. Yamaha requires 2GB or greater. I'm wondering what the max is that I would realistically need. Should I buy a 4 GB drive? 8? 16? I have no idea how much space is preferable, if the content is deleted once you've viewed it, etc. Also, if speed, transfer rate, etc., is important, I'd like to know that, too.


Many thanks,


John

Buy the biggest cheapest flash drive that is at least 2GB. I can't remember but either 1G or 2G is the min. requirement for BD-Live, but it will work with way less (even a small amount of local storage on some players support some if not all of the features). I was in Wallymart today and noticed that they had a giant bin of Sony MicroVault 4GB USB flashdrive sticks for just under $4 each. Turns out that is a great price. I only bought 3, one for the Yammy, one to replace an aging somewhat broken one for my LG BH-200 and one for the boss for her computer classes. Wish I had picked up more. A buck a gig is a great price. I think they had 8GB ones for just under $8 as well. I haven't opened or tried them yet, but they are sure to work just fine.
post #245 of 322
I’m looking for any information, tips, tricks, experiences or suggestions anyone might have on BD-Live and this player. This is the first Blue Ray player I have owned and I’ve started to mess around with the BD-Live function to see what it was all about. I have a copy of the Dark Knight which has a BD-Live feature. I found a 32 GB USB thumb drive on sale at Staples so I picked it up. I thought this would be more than enough.

First off the responsiveness is very slow just to get from the disk menu to the Warner Bros. BD-Live log in page. Not sure if it’s the player, or just the speed of my network. I’ve got everything hard wired into my network (no wi-fi) and while I was using it I made sure everything else on the network (like my pc) was off so I could get a feel for speeds. Like I said it seemed very cumbersome to go from the BD menu to the Warner Bros. log in page. Often I would get a pop up warning that came from the disk that talked about my connection speeds and local memory, all of which I thought was in line with the requirements.

Also I tried turning the player off and on a couple times before I could get it to work. Before I did this, when I would look at the thumb drive capacity on the Yamaha player it said 0 GB. This was strange as I had it working once before earlier in the week and everything seemed fine. I tried to format the drive to start things over and I got an error message on the Yamaha set up menu. I took the thumb drive out, formatted it in my laptop and tried it again in the Yamaha. This time it showed that I had the 32 GB of memory available and I was able to get to the Warner Bros. page.

Once there I was able to log in, also very cumbersome due to having to spell out the user name and password using the remote control and an on screen keyboard. I was able to navigate around and download a Batman cartoon to watch.

One question I have, when this material is downloaded is it being downloaded to the thumb drive? Or is it just being held in some sort of queue under my account online? I’m assuming it’s on my local thumb drive since it took quite some time to show 100% complete on the screen.
Anyway, I watched it but missed the very end as I had to leave the room so I’m not 100% convinced I captured the whole thing. When I re-entered the room there was an error message on the screen. The message was kind of digitally scrambled and very difficult to read. The screen was frozen and I had to reboot the player. From what I could make out from the error message I didn’t have enough memory for something, presumably I didn’t have enough on the thumb drive.

After I rebooted I tried getting back into the Warner Bros. BD-Live site again but couldn’t. I was getting that same pop up error message as before. When I went into the Yamaha settings menu I noticed that it was again showing the thumb drive capacity at 0 GB and again I was unable to format it. All this took more than an hour. I gave up and watched football instead.

Is all this typical for BD-Live? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the Yamaha player?

BD-Live will be a feature no one ever utilizes if this is a typical experience. Frankly I rarely watch many of the extras they have on the disks to begin with. The content I saw for the Dark Knight all looked typical: some cartoons, some extra behind the scenes footage, etc. Also, one could download WB trailers and some other content, most of which is probably available on YouTube or the WB site itself if one looked hard enough.
post #246 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Vinnie, what in the world are you doing over here? Are you stalking me? I thought you were a Ohpoopoo owner now ;-)
Nah, just happened to see your posts here and didn't mean to give you a scare (you'll find me in those poopoo threads also. wink.gif I also became curious about this SACD-R beast.
post #247 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj50 View Post

I’m looking for any information, tips, tricks, experiences or suggestions anyone might have on BD-Live and this player. This is the first Blue Ray player I have owned and I’ve started to mess around with the BD-Live function to see what it was all about. I have a copy of the Dark Knight which has a BD-Live feature. I found a 32 GB USB thumb drive on sale at Staples so I picked it up. I thought this would be more than enough.
First off the responsiveness is very slow just to get from the disk menu to the Warner Bros. BD-Live log in page. Not sure if it’s the player, or just the speed of my network. I’ve got everything hard wired into my network (no wi-fi) and while I was using it I made sure everything else on the network (like my pc) was off so I could get a feel for speeds. Like I said it seemed very cumbersome to go from the BD menu to the Warner Bros. log in page. Often I would get a pop up warning that came from the disk that talked about my connection speeds and local memory, all of which I thought was in line with the requirements.
Also I tried turning the player off and on a couple times before I could get it to work. Before I did this, when I would look at the thumb drive capacity on the Yamaha player it said 0 GB. This was strange as I had it working once before earlier in the week and everything seemed fine. I tried to format the drive to start things over and I got an error message on the Yamaha set up menu. I took the thumb drive out, formatted it in my laptop and tried it again in the Yamaha. This time it showed that I had the 32 GB of memory available and I was able to get to the Warner Bros. page.
Once there I was able to log in, also very cumbersome due to having to spell out the user name and password using the remote control and an on screen keyboard. I was able to navigate around and download a Batman cartoon to watch.
One question I have, when this material is downloaded is it being downloaded to the thumb drive? Or is it just being held in some sort of queue under my account online? I’m assuming it’s on my local thumb drive since it took quite some time to show 100% complete on the screen.
Anyway, I watched it but missed the very end as I had to leave the room so I’m not 100% convinced I captured the whole thing. When I re-entered the room there was an error message on the screen. The message was kind of digitally scrambled and very difficult to read. The screen was frozen and I had to reboot the player. From what I could make out from the error message I didn’t have enough memory for something, presumably I didn’t have enough on the thumb drive.
After I rebooted I tried getting back into the Warner Bros. BD-Live site again but couldn’t. I was getting that same pop up error message as before. When I went into the Yamaha settings menu I noticed that it was again showing the thumb drive capacity at 0 GB and again I was unable to format it. All this took more than an hour. I gave up and watched football instead.
Is all this typical for BD-Live? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the Yamaha player?
BD-Live will be a feature no one ever utilizes if this is a typical experience. Frankly I rarely watch many of the extras they have on the disks to begin with. The content I saw for the Dark Knight all looked typical: some cartoons, some extra behind the scenes footage, etc. Also, one could download WB trailers and some other content, most of which is probably available on YouTube or the WB site itself if one looked hard enough.
BD-Live is a slow, cumbersome even more bug laden feature and technology that is sandwiched into an already bastardized Java hampered technology called BD. I recommend just enjoying the movie and skipping all the extra crap and avoiding BD-Live with all costs. You really are not missing much. I have messed with all the HD-DVD Internet Enhanced contend (when it was still online and being hosted) and played with a few BD-Live titles. I have been unimpressed with all of it. I would prefer that they just stick the movie on the disc with PCM audio and call it good. Maybe a deleted scenes and bloopers reel would be appropriate if it really adds at all to the movie experience.

My guess also is that since this was/is a very short lived product that all the bugs never got worked out with their BD-Live code?

Have you tried a newer more modern BD-Live title? The Dark Knight if I remember right was one of the first to have the feature. From what I have seen the Sony and Disney ones seem to be the most stable and seem to work ok, but are slow on all players and networks that I have tried.

Is there still no updates for this player? I have only watched 2 movies on it and checked out and verified some of the reported bugs. Have not had time to even try a SACD or DVD-Audio in the thing. Haven't hooked it to the 'net' yet either since I have had no reason to.
post #248 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Nah, just happened to see your posts here and didn't mean to give you a scare (you'll find me in those poopoo threads also. wink.gif I also became curious about this SACD-R beast.
OIC - Haven't tried the music/audio features yet. It's an expensive replacement for the BD section of my aging Sammy 5k.
post #249 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

BD-Live is a slow, cumbersome even more bug laden feature and technology that is sandwiched into an already bastardized Java hampered technology called BD. I recommend just enjoying the movie and skipping all the extra crap and avoiding BD-Live with all costs. You really are not missing much. I have messed with all the HD-DVD Internet Enhanced contend (when it was still online and being hosted) and played with a few BD-Live titles. I have been unimpressed with all of it. I would prefer that they just stick the movie on the disc with PCM audio and call it good. Maybe a deleted scenes and bloopers reel would be appropriate if it really adds at all to the movie experience.
My guess also is that since this was/is a very short lived product that all the bugs never got worked out with their BD-Live code?
Have you tried a newer more modern BD-Live title? The Dark Knight if I remember right was one of the first to have the feature. From what I have seen the Sony and Disney ones seem to be the most stable and seem to work ok, but are slow on all players and networks that I have tried.
Is there still no updates for this player? I have only watched 2 movies on it and checked out and verified some of the reported bugs. Have not had time to even try a SACD or DVD-Audio in the thing. Haven't hooked it to the 'net' yet either since I have had no reason to.

I agree with what you are saying. I wouldn't be surprised if BD-Live just disapeared after a while. I need to get some more disks and just play around with them some more. I'll report back if/when I get more experiece with it.
post #250 of 322
For those who are having problems getting the BD-A1010 to play ball with the AV Controller app on ios i've managed to get mine working. I too have a yamaha AV receiver that works fine with the app but could not for the life of me get the blu ray player to appear even if i added the IP address manually.

I contacted Yamaha customer services and they sent me out a CD containing a backdoor firmware which effectively wipes the slate clean on the software on the player and another copy of the latest firmware. After i had wiped the firmware and reloaded the latest one it the player immediately appeared in my app and now all is well.

Just get in contact with Yamaha and get the CD shipped to you and you should be laughing!
post #251 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by adowns View Post

For those who are having problems getting the BD-A1010 to play ball with the AV Controller app on ios i've managed to get mine working. I too have a yamaha AV receiver that works fine with the app but could not for the life of me get the blu ray player to appear even if i added the IP address manually.
I contacted Yamaha customer services and they sent me out a CD containing a backdoor firmware which effectively wipes the slate clean on the software on the player and another copy of the latest firmware. After i had wiped the firmware and reloaded the latest one it the player immediately appeared in my app and now all is well.
Just get in contact with Yamaha and get the CD shipped to you and you should be laughing!

Excellent news! Thank you adowns for the info. I will call them this afternoon.
post #252 of 322
Does anyone have any insight or knowledge on why the soon to be released BD-A1020 in almost 3 pounds lighter than the BD-A1010?

That is of course if the information is correct on Yamaha website. It also shows the unit being shorter in depth than the 1010.

Just wondering if they cheapened up the unit's build quality.
post #253 of 322
The overall size of A1020 is similar to BD-S671. So there you go...A1020 is basically the S6xx line with SACD/DVDA capability, the MSRP also reflects that.
post #254 of 322
Thanks TuenMuner. Decided not to wait for the A1020 and jumped on a A1010.

Pulling the BDP-S5000ES and DV-59avi out of the rack tonight in anticipation to receiving the A1010 tomorrow.
post #255 of 322
I was surprised to find my A1010 delivered a day early, nice job USPS.

Reset the unit back to it's defaults, ran through the setup, and started cycling through various Blu-Rays, DVDs, CDs, and DVD-As.

All good until I got to Boardwalk Empire Season 1 Blu-ray disc #3 & #4. The Blu-ray would load to the main menu screen but when I would select the episode to play, parts of the screen would pixelate and the unit would lock up. I forced a reset by holding the power button but each time same thing. I didn't try any of the other discs form the set beside 3 & 4.

Anyone own else own this Blu-ray and have any issues. The Yamaha site shows no FW updates and the player didn't detect any updates from the internet. I've contacted Yamaha's customer service and awaiting their response. I really wanted to like this player.
post #256 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by adowns View Post

For those who are having problems getting the BD-A1010 to play ball with the AV Controller app on ios i've managed to get mine working. I too have a yamaha AV receiver that works fine with the app but could not for the life of me get the blu ray player to appear even if i added the IP address manually.
I contacted Yamaha customer services and they sent me out a CD containing a backdoor firmware which effectively wipes the slate clean on the software on the player and another copy of the latest firmware. After i had wiped the firmware and reloaded the latest one it the player immediately appeared in my app and now all is well.
Just get in contact with Yamaha and get the CD shipped to you and you should be laughing!

I called Yamaha support and requested the CD as you described, but they told me they don't have such a CD to send out. I was referred to a level 2 Tech Support rep, who told me they don't have any firmware update CDs they could send me. Can you post a picture of the CD, or describe what is written on the disc? I would like to call them back with more specific information, as I have been unable to get the AV Controller app to recognize my BD-A1010 as well.
post #257 of 322
So I take it no one else has run into playback issues with Boardwalk Empire or no A1010 owners have Boardwalk Empire.

Depending on Yamaha's response, I guess i'm going Oppo.
post #258 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot_HD View Post

So I take it no one else has run into playback issues with Boardwalk Empire or no A1010 owners have Boardwalk Empire.
Depending on Yamaha's response, I guess i'm going Oppo.

I don't have Boardwalk Empire. But I do have 200 BDs and my A1010 played them all without problems, Oppo may the the king of BD players right now, but they have their share of BD playback issues too..
post #259 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

I don't have Boardwalk Empire. But I do have 200 BDs and my A1010 played them all without problems, Oppo may the the king of BD players right now, but they have their share of BD playback issues too..

Not really, networking playback maybe but their disc playback is rock solid and if not they address issues faster than anyone else in the industry.
post #260 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

Not really, networking playback maybe but their disc playback is rock solid and if not they address issues faster than anyone else in the industry.

Thats NOT what I found in the 83/93 owner threads, these units do have their own playback problems, but like you said, Oppo address these issues fairly quickly. But I have a PS3(it basically reads anything), so even if my Yamaha got some playback issues, I have a back-up player anyway.
post #261 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

The overall size of A1020 is similar to BD-S671. So there you go...A1020 is basically the S6xx line with SACD/DVDA capability, the MSRP also reflects that.
For those of you who still use multi-channel analog connections, I don't think the new 1020 has that capability. It appears as though Yamaha finally joined the majority and has done away with multi-channel analog. So if you wish to buy a 1010 based on reports of its good analog audio, you'd better hurry up and find one before the stores run out of them!
post #262 of 322
A1020 now has a 32bit dac
post #263 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60strat View Post

A1020 now has a 32bit dac

Yes it does. Do you know which DAC A1020 uses? I tried to find the service manual on the web but couldn't find anything.
post #264 of 322
I think it will be released next month. They have used AKM, maybe AK4480 or AK4399?
post #265 of 322
Am I right about the 1020 not having multi-channel analog output? This would be a shame for those who rely on multi-channel analog connections for BD, DVD-A, and SACD. I find this wierd. They add built-in wifi and upgrade the DAC to a 32-bit DAC, but they drop the multi-channel analog output? I accidentally broke my 1010 and just sent it out for repair. I hope they don't give me a 1020 as a replacement because I really need the multi-channel analog!
post #266 of 322
Yes you are right about not having multichannel output. I saw it the other day available for pre-order at Crutchfield. How much better does it sounds with multichannel instead of DSD?
I have been wanting to try multichannel since my receiver has it too but on the fence as to whether there is an improvement in sound or not.
post #267 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJai View Post

Yes you are right about not having multichannel output. I saw it the other day available for pre-order at Crutchfield. How much better does it sounds with multichannel instead of DSD?
I have been wanting to try multichannel since my receiver has it too but on the fence as to whether there is an improvement in sound or not.
I can't speak for any of the Oppos because I have never tried one. After comparing the BD-A1010's multi-channel SACD DSD playback with my Pioneer Elite DV-58av which was my prefered SACD player for four years, I could not believe how much more depth there was to the bass and how much more ring there was to the treble when playing SACDs on the Yamaha! Also, the Oppo converts SACD to 88.2 KHz PCM with a frequency response of up to 40 KHz, and according to Oppo uses the 50 KHz cutoff filter when converting DSD to analog. The Yamaha converts DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM with a frequency response of up to 80 KHz. Although I haven't gotten any confirmation from Yamaha about this, this does mean that when converting DSD straight to analog, there could be a chance that they might have decided to allow SACD playback to have a full frequency response of DC (0 Hz) to 100 KHz. So if you just so happen to see where I'm coming from on this and agree with me, you might want to try to find a 1010 before they disappear!
Edited by Big C - 10/18/12 at 2:11am
post #268 of 322
The manuals to the Denon and Marantz 7.1 analog players specificly state in the specifications an SACD frequency response of 2 Hz to 40 KHz. 40 Khz is the upper end of 88.2 KHz PCM. So this could be suggesting that those players at least convert DSD to 88.2 KHz and then to analog. If they do convert DSD to analog, they would probibly use the 50 KHz cutoff filter.
post #269 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I can't speak for any of the Oppos because I have never tried one. After comparing the BD-A1010's multi-channel SACD DSD playback with my Pioneer Elite DV-58av which was my prefered SACD player for four years, I could not believe how much more depth there was to the bass and how much more ring there was to the treble when playing SACDs on the Yamaha! Also, the Oppo converts SACD to 88.2 KHz PCM with a frequency response of up to 40 KHz, and according to Oppo uses the 50 KHz cutoff filter when converting DSD to analog. The Yamaha converts DSD to 176.4 KHz PCM with a frequency response of up to 80 KHz. Although I haven't gotten any confirmation from Yamaha about this, this does mean that when converting DSD straight to analog, there could be a chance that they might have decided to allow SACD playback to have a full frequency response of DC (0 Hz) to 100 KHz. So if you just so happen to see where I'm coming from on this and agree with me, you might want to try to find a 1010 before they disappear!

Thanks for the info Big C. I currently own a 1010 and I am planning on trying multi-channel connection with my Onkyo receiver
post #270 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabanaMike View Post

I called Yamaha support and requested the CD as you described, but they told me they don't have such a CD to send out. I was referred to a level 2 Tech Support rep, who told me they don't have any firmware update CDs they could send me. Can you post a picture of the CD, or describe what is written on the disc? I would like to call them back with more specific information, as I have been unable to get the AV Controller app to recognize my BD-A1010 as well.

I too have the same problem as HabanaMike (post#256). I have talked to level 2 tech support and they had no idea about a firmware CD, which had been previously mentioned in the forum by adowns to fix this particular issue. Short of sending the unit back to Yamaha for a refurbished replacement, has anyone made progress getting this mystery CD or otherwise?
Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Yamaha BD-A1010 Universal Player