or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iRule - Page 248

post #7411 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

^The seller told me he didn't know much but that the new firmware gave the unit the ability to "beacon" itself on the network? The current older version its shipping with cant do that, whatever it means. IDK what that means. I got one too and am using it for what sounds like a similar setup. For $30 hard to pass up including relay and all the emitter outlets.......

Then it sounds like the unit has software release prior to 3.0 (see link below), which had the beacon feature and DHCP support. I guess the question is how to get it updated from Global Cache, as I think it may be a challenge to locate it on the network without a beacon feature and no automatic IP address assignment via DHCP. Maybe have to hook up a computer directly to set it up? Which is probably not a big deal.

Edit: Which seller did you purchase from? There are two on there now, and the seller "thetraveler1969" has multiple units.

Edit 2: I called GC support, and it costs $35 to upgrade the GC-100 models, and that includes return shipping. He said they just set up an RMA, and I could (theoretically) have the seller ship it directly to them, which would save me some money. I asked about setting up units prior to firmware 3.0 (no beacon or DHCP support), and he said they have a built-in static IP address and you connect a computer with a crossover cable. For me, I would want to have mine updated to simplify my life during setup. It would still end up being cheaper than an iTach IP2SL, and it would have two serial ports vice the one on the IP2SL. The single concurrent handset connection limitation is not an issue for my setup, as this would only be for the basement theater.

Mark

http://www.globalcache.com/files/docs/ReleaseNotes_GC-100v32.pdf

All that sounds right.

If no other probs present themselves ill have no probs just hooking up to the unit with a crossover cable to configure.

Glad to see a couple people picking them up hopefully we can help each other along.

Nicholas
post #7412 of 9744
Got this very swift response from iRule ...


Alex Boyd (Software Engineer) 36 minutes ago

Thanks for the comments. I will add a few responses so maybe you better understand our thought process for some of the decisions we made.

1. The blue infill in the volume is a little odd, but I found that most users get over that quickly if the volume slider works smile.gif

2. Grouping Zones is definitely something we have on our minds, but we thought that a user could setup multiple groups and then move to controlling the system. We spent a reasonable amount of time looking into the zones and how they work in order to maintain group functionality within the module. We know this is not optimal, but we wanted to give the people what they want.

3. Haven't looked at or even had this question pop up in testing, but I will be sure to investigate.

4. This should probably be changed in order to remain consistent with the Sonos app. We want Sonos users to feel comfortable and familiar with the module, no need to create a learning curve.

5. There seems to be a lot of space on the right, but this is by design. One day there could possibly be a search box in that blank area, but you didn't hear that from me.

6. Yes we plan to add this functionality, any services in mind?



Cheers,
post #7413 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Which app/version are you running on the iPad 2?
SC
Well I was running an old version, 4.3.3 I think. I upgraded to the latest 6.x.x and the Sonos module is now working fine. Since this iPad is dedicated to the HT I never had a reason up update before. I did of course loose my jailbreak which I used to install ScreeDimmer but it appears similar functionality is built in now.
post #7414 of 9744
### Again posted on Get Satisfaction ###

OK ... I've had more time to play and have some extra comments ...

1. Grouped zones is not really working properly. First problem is that in the zones list there's no indication of what zones have been grouped. I tested by first using the Sonos app to group two zones. If I select either zone in the module, then I can control song selection for both zones together, but control volume only for the zone selected in the module. Maybe this is by design ?

2. The Song index starts with A ... Z to speed selection, but both Artists and Albums go straight to a full list. With 1000 albums and many hundreds of artists, I would prefer an A ... Z index for all of them.

3. It would be nice if the Current Queue list always showed the current playing track at the top by automatically scrolling down, and highlighted the 'now playing' track in some way.

4. The Current Queue header has a 'Back' button next to it, which seems superfluous given the icon menu across the bottom.

Again, please understand that I love the Sonos module and I hope my comments are seen as constructive, which is how they are intended, and maybe they can help improve it.


Cheers,
post #7415 of 9744
Sonos module in iRule ...



biggrin.gif

Cheers,
post #7416 of 9744
Peter, looks nice for the setup. is there anyway u can share out the light button u got. i'm building my lights module pages and want ot add some scenes so i need a light that looks like the module light and this one is pretty close.

thanks!
jim
post #7417 of 9744
General quesion, is there a device which will control an iPod remotely and which in turn can be controlled by iRule? I'm wanting to hook a spare iTouch up to my AVR with an HDMI adapter and play slideshows from it -- but I want to be able to touch a button on my iRule interface which starts the whole sequence up automatically. Is that possible?
post #7418 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

General quesion, is there a device which will control an iPod remotely and which in turn can be controlled by iRule? I'm wanting to hook a spare iTouch up to my AVR with an HDMI adapter and play slideshows from it -- but I want to be able to touch a button on my iRule interface which starts the whole sequence up automatically. Is that possible?

I would be interested in something similar to this but for Android. Anyone know of something?
post #7419 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

I noticed on ebay some Global Cache units (like the GC-100), mostly used, that are pretty cheap. Any opinion on the reliablity and usability of these? There are no bargains on the ITach IP2IR units, unfortunately.
I
post #7420 of 9744
I purchased 2 of those units and they worked great!
post #7421 of 9744
Hi. i finally got my ipad setup, and is now setting my iphone5. Is there any easy way to at least copy some links/button over without need to redo the setup again?
Seems like copy is confined to within a handset..is this right?
At this point, I am just hoping I can copy the "commands" over. For example, the power-off command that had all of my 7 device and delay setting... I can create the button and layout in ipad5 no problem, but I just want to copy those "settings" over so I don't have to open all 7 devices, search for power-OFF, and then put it in, and then add delay AGAIN... any best known method on doing this?

Thanks in advance.
post #7422 of 9744
This last update really messed me up. I use to use iPad 3 for ALL my iPads. It use to work for my iPad mini and iPad 2. Now I have to make 2 different handsets and it is hard to find buttons for the "iPad handset"mad.gif I feel like Im starting all over again mad.gif Not to mention the fact that I can't use my iPad mini till I start a new handset.
post #7423 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Hi. i finally got my ipad setup, and is now setting my iphone5. Is there any easy way to at least copy some links/button over without need to redo the setup again?
Seems like copy is confined to within a handset..is this right?
At this point, I am just hoping I can copy the "commands" over. For example, the power-off command that had all of my 7 device and delay setting... I can create the button and layout in ipad5 no problem, but I just want to copy those "settings" over so I don't have to open all 7 devices, search for power-OFF, and then put it in, and then add delay AGAIN... any best known method on doing this?
Thanks in advance.

Not confined at all. I created my iPad retina GUI by simply copying each panel from one handset (iPad non-retina) to the Retina handset. CTRL+C on the panel, then go to the new handset and CTRL+V.



Alex
post #7424 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA INFERNO View Post

This last update really messed me up. I use to use iPad 3 for ALL my iPads. It use to work for my iPad mini and iPad 2. Now I have to make 2 different handsets and it is hard to find buttons for the "iPad handset"mad.gif I feel like Im starting all over again mad.gif Not to mention the fact that I can't use my iPad mini till I start a new handset.

iPad non-retina should sync just fine with Retina handset. I have non-retina iPad handset and Retina iPad handset in the builder and when I go to sync my iPad 3, I get iPad and iPad Retina handsets. Did I misunderstand you?



Alex
post #7425 of 9744
I finally got my new serial controller from leviton. i can now actually get feedback from all my zwave devices. i set my network with the usb stick this time also instead of the crap leviton remote. much easier and a more meshed network i feel. the new module is pretty slick for the first of the zwave mods. there isn't any scenes but i made some with my own commands and the feedback gets carried over to the sliders so that is pretty cool i feel. i have pretty much every type of zwave switch leviton makes so i know they all work. i have wall switches, plugin modules, fan switches, 600w dimmers, and 2 1000w dimmers for our curios cause those are on 4 transformers to control about 300 bulbs on low volt strips to make sure each shelf is evenly lit. all work great with each other and the controller can finally handle the feedback properly. anyone have question i can prop help u out. tomorrow i move onto control of the lights outside my network when out and about for when not at home. i also want to pick up a thermostat to start playing around with that now that the lights r done.





post #7426 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post

iPad non-retina should sync just fine with Retina handset. I have non-retina iPad handset and Retina iPad handset in the builder and when I go to sync my iPad 3, I get iPad and iPad Retina handsets. Did I misunderstand you?
Alex

Other way around. The iPad Retina handset use to sync with my iPad 2 and iPad mini (non retina). Now the iPad 3 handset will not show up on my iPad 2 or iPad mini app.
post #7427 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA INFERNO View Post

Other way around. The iPad Retina handset use to sync with my iPad 2 and iPad mini (non retina). Now the iPad 3 handset will not show up on my iPad 2 or iPad mini app.
Hmmm... Not sure what to say about this. The iPad Retina handset only came in the last Builder update in early November, but until this latest iOS update at the beginning of the week, the iPad app didn't support the iPad Retina handset resolution at all... So, I'm not sure how it would have been working for you on any iPad, much less the non-Retina iPad 2 or mini. You may want to contact support with your username so they can have a look at your account.

The issue with the mini is a known issue, and the iRule team has already submitted the app to Apple for review and approval, so hopefully we'll see that any day.

SC
post #7428 of 9744
I'm looking for a cheap iRule controllable internet radio box. Would love to stream Pandora and have an onscreen GUI within iRule (on android for me if that makes a difference).

We just got new phones in my household so I have 2 android phones that are no longer in use. I was thinking I could use one of them as a source for whole home audio. If there was a way to control it remotely with another android tablet via iRule, I could launch pandora, slacker, gizmo, etc. and send the audio in to my home audio system.

I would also consider a purchase of a device, some sort of streamer. I know the Sonos module just released but it doesn't seem to to support the internet radio side of its functionality currently. Is there a box out there that has an android app that I could launch from within iRule that would provide a full GUI? A generic bluray player with pandora is probably not what I'm after as I would need a TV on to make selections.

I use j.river MC to play my stored music collection, their gizmo app and webgizmo work perfectly within iRule. I wish they offered streaming music services.

Any ideas?
post #7429 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

I'm looking for a cheap iRule controllable internet radio box. Would love to stream Pandora and have an onscreen GUI within iRule (on android for me if that makes a difference).

I use j.river MC to play my stored music collection, their gizmo app and webgizmo work perfectly within iRule. I wish they offered streaming music services.
Any ideas?
I've never used internet radio in J. River Media Center, but I've seen threads on the J. River forum for integrating internet radio into Media Center and setting it up for use in Theater View. Here is an example thread.

Here is a link to the wiki on web media.
Edited by Steve Goff - 12/6/12 at 10:26am
post #7430 of 9744
Thanks Steven. It looks like it may be possible to stream some radio stations with MC and there are a few streaming services available directly in MC, but not through Gizmo so they couldn't be controlled that way.

Doing some searching it looks like the $49 ROKU LT streaming player might be just what I am looking for. The price is right, they offer an android app so control and integration in irule would be a snap.

Downside being that it requires another component and MUSIC will no longer be coming from one source, Gizmo/Jriver for internal ripped cds and Roku for external streams.
post #7431 of 9744
Fellow iRule Denon users can you guide me a bit here. I just purchased a 4311ci and am wondering if it is better to use IP or RS232 control as far as irule is concerned. I have the capability for either one. Thanks in advance!
post #7432 of 9744
I use IP for everything zone 1 on my 3310, but I also need to use IR for zones 2 & 3. Not sure why I can't get IP to work on the other zones. But for zone 1, IP is great.
post #7433 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Hmmm... Not sure what to say about this. The iPad Retina handset only came in the last Builder update in early November, but until this latest iOS update at the beginning of the week, the iPad app didn't support the iPad Retina handset resolution at all... So, I'm not sure how it would have been working for you on any iPad, much less the non-Retina iPad 2 or mini. You may want to contact support with your username so they can have a look at your account.
The issue with the mini is a known issue, and the iRule team has already submitted the app to Apple for review and approval, so hopefully we'll see that any day.
SC
Not sure if this will help. This is off of iRul'e web site.

iPhone 5 & iPad 3 Screen Resolution Support

These new handsets were introduced in the last Builder update, but are now fully-supported in this release.

New Unifed App

Previously, there were two iRule apps: iRule for iPhone/iPod touch and iRule HD for iPad. With this release, the main iRule app will now run on both iPhone/iPod touch AND iPad/iPad mini, so it is no longer necessary to download two separate apps if you have one of each device. Eventually, iRule HD will be phased out, but it will be maintained until some time next year to allow a convenient migration to the new unified app.
post #7434 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golitzbt View Post

I use IP for everything zone 1 on my 3310, but I also need to use IR for zones 2 & 3. Not sure why I can't get IP to work on the other zones. But for zone 1, IP is great.

Did you remember to import the Onkyo Receiver device with the Zone 2 TCP/IP commands?
post #7435 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73

Fellow iRule Denon users can you guide me a bit here. I just purchased a 4311ci and am wondering if it is better to use IP or RS232 control as far as irule is concerned. I have the capability for either one. Thanks in advance!


I would us IP, since you don't need a cable. The commands should be the same.
post #7436 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschissler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73

Fellow iRule Denon users can you guide me a bit here. I just purchased a 4311ci and am wondering if it is better to use IP or RS232 control as far as irule is concerned. I have the capability for either one. Thanks in advance!


I would us IP, since you don't need a cable. The commands should be the same.


This is for a 4308CI, but I found the IP connection a bit too flaky. RS232 overall seems more robust, even though every once in a while the feedback stops working. A power off/on of the Denon fixed it. I would be curious to know if the connections in the newer Denon models are more robust.

 

_____

Axel 

post #7437 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

This is for a 4308CI, but I found the IP connection a bit too flaky. RS232 overall seems more robust, even though every once in a while the feedback stops working. A power off/on of the Denon fixed it. I would be curious to know if the connections in the newer Denon models are more robust.
Axel, the 4308 is a pretty early IP receiver - similar vintage to my Integra DHC-9.9... My 9.9 has a bug in its network interface that causes the interface to lock up once every hour or two, making it unreachable. Sometimes it will be reachable again later, but it usually requires a power-cycle. So, it's essentially unusable. I switched to RS-232, and it's rock-solid.

Basically, IP has gotten a LOT better in the 2-3 generations since our pieces were designed and built.

SC
post #7438 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Axel, the 4308 is a pretty early IP receiver - similar vintage to my Integra DHC-9.9... My 9.9 has a bug in its network interface that causes the interface to lock up once every hour or two, making it unreachable. Sometimes it will be reachable again later, but it usually requires a power-cycle. So, it's essentially unusable. I switched to RS-232, and it's rock-solid.
Basically, IP has gotten a LOT better in the 2-3 generations since our pieces were designed and built.
SC

Interesting ... my DHC-9.9 has been flawless with IP control ???

Cheers,
post #7439 of 9744
IP control of my older Denon AVP-A1HD (upgraded) works really well. SJ
post #7440 of 9744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

### Again posted on Get Satisfaction ###
OK ... I've had more time to play and have some extra comments ...
1. Grouped zones is not really working properly. First problem is that in the zones list there's no indication of what zones have been grouped. I tested by first using the Sonos app to group two zones. If I select either zone in the module, then I can control song selection for both zones together, but control volume only for the zone selected in the module. Maybe this is by design ?
2. The Song index starts with A ... Z to speed selection, but both Artists and Albums go straight to a full list. With 1000 albums and many hundreds of artists, I would prefer an A ... Z index for all of them.
3. It would be nice if the Current Queue list always showed the current playing track at the top by automatically scrolling down, and highlighted the 'now playing' track in some way.
4. The Current Queue header has a 'Back' button next to it, which seems superfluous given the icon menu across the bottom.
Again, please understand that I love the Sonos module and I hope my comments are seen as constructive, which is how they are intended, and maybe they can help improve it.
Cheers,

Adding to these comments after a few days of use:

1°) Overall it's a good starting point, and I like the general principle of the integration
2°) No set-up required in iRule, which makes it very simple
3°) Connection seems to be very unstable, but I have not been able to figure out when it fails as it seems to vary. Here are some of the issues when connection "fails":
- songs playing is not updated
- controls (play / plause / previous / next) not working at all
- play now option not working
- Current queue shows "Container is Empty"
4°) Connection nevers works when Sonos is playing radio, and then trying to use the Sonos module (it displays the name of the radio station playing, but all other controls like trying to play from the library) do not work at all.

The connections issues are the most important issues for me so far.

Is this only me?

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area