Originally Posted by kimvette
I just picked up my SC-55 on Thursday (replacing a dinosaur - the VSX-26TX) and the sound quality is amazing. I ran into a few snags though:
Here comes the problem: I tried setting up Rhapsody. I created a new Rhapsody account tonight, selected a long secure password and then went to configure the SC-55 to sign into my newly-created Rhapsody account. Here comes the first problem: I have to scroll through all the characters rather than select then from a grid. WTF? Don't Pioneer's software engineers know anything about human factors? So, I scroll through and go through the extremely tedious process of entering my username (email addy) and long secure password. "Invalid username or password." Okay, so I go back, and of course it doesn't retain what I entered, so I do it all over again, and double and triple check what I entered (it takes a good 7 minutes to enter the password via this stupid method) and it failed again. Next, I sign out of Rhapsody on my notebook, and sign in again to verify my password was correct. Check. I then went back into rhapsody account setup on the receiver and decided to try connecting a USB keyboard to save some time, and hopefully type the password in 2.5 minutes rather than 7 minutes. Sure enough the keyboard was recognized, but - get this - only the cursor keys are supported! You still have to scroll through the characters. What the F@&#?
So, I go through the tedium of entering the password yet again (what's the definition of insanity?) and same error. So, i change my password to a shorter, simpler password that takes only two minutes to enter. Same problem. So, I turn off the receiver and turn it back on and try again - same error (invalid username or password). I tried the Internet Radio stations and they work flawlessly. Streaming from Windows over DLNA works flawlessly (well, as flawlessly as Windows does anything
I checked for firmware upgrades - there are none. So, there are three (make that four)
possibilities:1. Rhapsody's network is down
(but I can connect from the same internet connection using my laptop)
2. One or more hops between the receiver and my connection are down (nope; see above. I can connect on the same internet connection using my PC)
3. Pioneer shipped this model without testing it (DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!)4. I have to wait a while before connecting the receiver to the service (unlikely)
After wasting over two hours trying to get this to connect to Rhapsody I am absolutely positive of three things:
1. Pioneer software engineers are geeks who know nothing of human factors (usability) and design product for geeks, not for real people.
2. Pioneer released this receiver without fully testing the feature set
3. I want to throttle the engineer who implemented keyboard support but decided to support ONLY the cursor keys. WTF?
Rhapsody is not working right now with "Home Audio Devices" (i.e. AVR's or Tivo's) as they have updated their servers, and it happened a couple of weeks ago in July... just as Pioneer starting shipping these new receivers..
It's a Rhapsody issue:Rhapsody Forum Thread about Issue
Dear Rhapsody members,
On July 12, 2011 Rhapsody will be implementing a change to the service that will require an update to your supported Home Audio devices. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. In order to continue using Rhapsody, you will need to update the firmware on your Home Audio device. For information on updating the firmware on your device, please contact the manufacturer.
For information regarding your Rhapsody account, please contact Rhapsody customer support.
Rhapsody Customer Support
If you read the Denon 4311 thread, you can read about their experiences (with no fix in sight from them, either).. and it appears Tivo has pulled support for the service on some of their devices all together...
Tivo spokesman has announced that Tivo has eliminated Rhapsody from Tivo Series 2, Series 3, and Tivo HD. Support has continued for Tivo Premiere, which should now be functioning normally. Rhapsody on my Premiere is working normally. Rhapsody has completely disappeared from my Series 2.
Even a Rhapsody employee acknowledged:
FROM THREE WEEKS AGO:
We're sorry for the experience you've had recently on some of the home audio equipment that's supposed to work with Rhapsody.
Here is some background: we contacted all our device partners several months before this necessary change to our service, providing them all the info necessary to make a successful change. The vast majority of these partners made the change on time and successfully tested their devices (as did Rhapsody) and signed-off. However, after roll-out, some partners found bugs in their systems not apparent in previous testing that they needed to address. These partners are working to correct the issues they discovered as quickly as they can. They realize you're their customers too and want to get things working properly.
Nobody likes to have an outage, nobody likes to make customers mad. This was certainly not our intent, nor was it our partner's intent.
Rhapsody is working with these groups almost daily to support them where we can in getting their fixes out the door. The timelines for fix releases are changing almost daily, once we get the majority of the dates locked down we'll share them.
Being your first post, in which you state you are positive it is certain things, it should serve as a reminder that the obvious with these products isn't always the case....
And I understand, and share, your frustration with the data entry method... however, I can understand a company not wanting to spend time and resources on creating a data entry method that only needs to be used once in a blue moon, and instead focusing on what matters, which is how the AVR sounds and passes video.
Just my .02...