Originally Posted by jimjr
I think dscottj is on the right track. You might want to try different resolutions from the input side -- your Linux laptop and MythTV. I have a home-built HTPC with an nVidia graphics card hooked up via HDMI and it works just fine. The nVidia control panel in fact recognizes the display as a Pioneer SC-57 and configures the resolution accordingly. But that may only be because I'm running Windows 7 and can access the full panoply of nVidia control panel settings. I expect you probably have a much more streamlined suite for the Linux OS. But assuming you can access some sort of control panel equivalent for the nVidia graphics card, try going to the "change resolution" section, and see if there is a button that says "customize". That should bring up a box that says "enable resolutions not exposed by the display." From that, you can select any resolution you want, not just resolutions that the SC-55 EDID is reporting to your card. Then try to find resolutions you know are supported by the SC-55 and see what happens.
Hey jimjr. Thanks for the advice.
I gave it a try again this AM, but still not having any luck. I tried using some better nvidia utils. It did allow me to force the resolution to 1920x1080@60 but I still couldn't get anything to display. I tried every resolution, refresh rate that the util supported, but nothing worked. When I checked the nvidia monitor info page (screenshot attached), it still shows that it can not read the native resolution or preferred resolution of the receiver.
Then, I booted into Windows 7 and gave that a try. Win7 was able to detect that the receiver existed, but when I would try to enable it, it would ding to indicate the device was found, the screen would flash (I assume it was configuring the new display) then I would hear the error sound and the screen would flash again (deconfigure the new display?). After it went through that cycle, it would all of the sudden redetect the new screen and the cycle would start all over again. I watched it go through this cycle about 10 times without ever working. The only good thing was that HDMI audio seemed to work in Win7 -- I've never had it work on linux (but I've never really tried that hard). I got to hear my never ending series of dings in surround!
So, I tried with vista. In vista, I could get it to detect the display, but when I tried to enable it, the screen would just flash, wait a few secs and then flash again (revert back to single display). After all that, the checkbox next to the Pioneer display would revert to being unchecked (display disabled). At least it didn't get caught in a never ending loop like Windows 7, but I could never get output through the receiver on vista either.
I must be doing something wrong, but I have *no* idea what. Usually this stuff is pretty much plug-n-play.
I guess my next choice is to get an HDMI switch, run optical audio to the receiver and just bypass the receiver entirely for video. Very frustrating!