Originally Posted by Stefan_AVS
I inserted a USB drive, 16 Gb, formatted FAT32, with only one file, the AVR_12_0215.mem.
To have access to the option “Update via USB”, we have to select first the option “Firmware update” and enter in this option. The problem is that the option “Firmware update” is disabled (in gray), so I can’t enter in this option and I can't see the option “Update via USB”.
There is the nuclear option, which is attempting an update via the boot loader, not the GUI. To do this, try the following steps:
1. Turn off AVR
2. Insert USB drive with firmware only.
3. Hold down the Tune-UP button on the front panel while pressing the power key.
4. After automatically flipping through a couple of screens, the front panel (not the tv/display) should read UPDATE.
5. Press ENTER on front panel.
6. Use Preset Left or RIght buttons on front panel to select YES
7. Press enter.
8. Sit back and watch the front panel. It will say ACCESSING, followed by UPDATING and a percentage completed.
9. After 100% it should power off automatically.
10. You're done. Power back up normally.
Be patient. It might seem like the UPDATING screen takes a long time. The percentage does not increase percent by percent but jumps in large blocks as it updates and it will skip large blocks to the extent there are subsystems that do not need updating.
I have used this procedure but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Using the boot loader is aggressive and I can make no reps that it's entirely safe. But it doesn't sound like you have much to lose. If the firmware load works with this method, I would recommend a full factory reset after powering back up.
Good luck.Edited by jimjr - 6/10/12 at 10:11am