or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread - Page 119

post #3541 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrha View Post

I dont understand why the SC-57 would not be capable of sending HDMI audio to a second zone.

purdy is right...

the SC-68 & 67 are the 1st Pioneers with an HDMI matrix switcher capability to a separate zone. To be fair, this is a new feature in 2012 for all receiver companies, Denon & Onkyo included. Only a few models can do this.

well, it may be silly but that's the way it is wink.gif

Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo & Yamaha owners of anything older than the very latest new models, none of them can do true multizone HDMI.

that said, what you could do is send HDMI to another zone using your HDMI output control....output 1 to main room, output 2 to other room & select All for HDMI outputs. But they have to play the same source at the same time. If you want to play separate sources in each room, then you'll want a new receiver.

the SC-68 & 67 (don't know about the lower models) have a dedicated zone 4 HDMI output that will play independently from the main room.
Edited by ss9001 - 10/16/12 at 1:51pm
post #3542 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

unfortunately, no HDMI or external digital source can go to zone 2 or 3. HDMI or fiber/coax bitstream.
You can use analog, so if your TV has analog out (our your source), you can feed it back into the receiver and that can be the source for zone2/3 and you can listen to it in the kitchen
You can listen to any home media gallery source while on zone 2 or 3. So you can watch tv on zone 1 and have airplay music coming out zone 2, or airplay, pandora etc. out all zones.
But note, you can't have two home media gallery sources. So no aiplay in zone 2 and pandora in zone 1.
The manual is not very clear on this and I agree it is somewhat odd but that is the way it is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most sources will not send an audio signal via analog and a video signal via HDMI. So, if you had a Cable Box with HDMI and analog, wouldn't it have to be one or the other?

I think it's all coming back to me now...

Frustration building... Can no longer contain... fury...
hulk-smash.gif
post #3543 of 3982
My Motorola box from Comcast outputs analog 2 ch audio, digital coax/opt audio, component video & HDMI simultaneously. I know this because I use the digital & analog outputs and have connected it up with HDMI at same time. So no, it doesn't have to work that way smile.gif
post #3544 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPotter View Post

Thanks for that ss9001. I hadn't thought of that. That's something I'm going to take a look at a little closer to make sure I'm familiar with it.
I did a little research online and came across an HDMI reset procedure that worked. It is in a comment on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Elite-Sc-55-9-1-channel-Receiver/product-reviews/B005JJBFJW:
  1. Power off the receiver.
  2. Unplug it from the wall and unplug all HDMI cables.
  3. Wait - I waited about a minute, but maybe it only needs 30 seconds or even 5 or 10 seconds.
  4. Plug everything back in.
This fixed it for me. Woo hoo! Now my whole family knows this procedure so they don't have to call me if it happens again smile.gif.



I just turn off the SC-57, wait 5 seconds or so, then turn it back on to re-establish the handshake.
post #3545 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I just turn off the SC-57, wait 5 seconds or so, then turn it back on to re-establish the handshake.

Yeah, I tried that several times first and it didn't work for me. Thanks, though.
post #3546 of 3982
Hi,

Anyone having issues with the HMG? Mine works only if I disable the network standby option.
If I turn it on, I no longer connect to the internet. sigh

Wondering if anyone is having the same issues. Its a great receive, but between the delay of video sources displaying and the unreliable network/internet radio function, I'm ready to toss it out the window. Taking it back to Best Buy...hopefully they will exchange it for a newer one...SC-67.
post #3547 of 3982
Hi guy, I recently bought a Pioneer SC-55 Reciever. I try to listen the music on my 7.1 system ( its my set up for now ). How come the music come out the front 2 speakers only. Is there a way ( mode ) that I can play music with all my 7.1 speakers ??? and what is the best mode. Please let me know. I really need your guys help. Thank you so much and have a good day.
post #3548 of 3982
Congrats on the new avr. Try extended stereo, DDPLIIz, DDPLIIz, Neo-6 music. Which is best depend on the source and you ears. Happy listening!
post #3549 of 3982
P.S. don't use pure or direct modes.
post #3550 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but most sources will not send an audio signal via analog and a video signal via HDMI. So, if you had a Cable Box with HDMI and analog, wouldn't it have to be one or the other?
I think it's all coming back to me now...
Frustration building... Can no longer contain... fury...
hulk-smash.gif

My tv and projector will output two channel analog

Is that an option for you?
post #3551 of 3982
Thank you so much derrickdj1.
post #3552 of 3982
Is there any way to force the SC-57 to accept a 0-255 full range input from a HTPC and output as such? I already have all the correct settings on my HTPC to force 0-255 output but in the Status of video input on the Ipad app, it shows "Limited" input and outputs to my TV at "Limited" also.

Thanks smile.gif
post #3553 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrha View Post

I dont understand why the SC-57 would not be capable of sending HDMI audio to a second zone.

purdy is right...

the SC-68 & 67 are the 1st Pioneers with an HDMI matrix switcher capability to a separate zone. To be fair, this is a new feature in 2012 for all receiver companies, Denon & Onkyo included. Only a few models can do this.

well, it may be silly but that's the way it is wink.gif

Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo & Yamaha owners of anything older than the very latest new models, none of them can do true multizone HDMI.

that said, what you could do is send HDMI to another zone using your HDMI output control....output 1 to main room, output 2 to other room & select All for HDMI outputs. But they have to play the same source at the same time. If you want to play separate sources in each room, then you'll want a new receiver.

the SC-68 & 67 (don't know about the lower models) have a dedicated zone 4 HDMI output that will play independently from the main room.

correct... and it's not silly, either... in order to process hdmi audio and send it to a second zone, the entire path within the avr would have to be duplicated (not to mention you'd have to have a way to spoof the video, as audio is embedded in the video stream with tmds)... not to mention several other headaches that come to mind...

this year's "hot" feature seems to be a matrix switch (albeit somewhat limited) tacked onto the front end (along with 4k*)... while this is of use to some (myself included), it still requires a hdmi sink in zone 2, and still comes with all the issues of remotely located hdmi equipment... for the great majority, it's essentially a worthless feature...

* which is even more useless than the hdmi matrix is for the great great majority...
post #3554 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

correct... and it's not silly, either... in order to process hdmi audio and send it to a second zone, the entire path within the avr would have to be duplicated (not to mention you'd have to have a way to spoof the video, as audio is embedded in the video stream with tmds)... not to mention several other headaches that come to mind...
...

I really don't see what is the technical issue, the audio is stripped out of an hdmi source any way when you send it to the amps

No need spoof the video

Granted you would want it in stereo but if it was from a cd, and was already stereo, I don't see why it is such a big deal to send to other zones, but you can't, unless it is analog

With AirPlay you can do it an even have all of those fancy listening modes working while sending stero to the other zones

But run a digital input I from outside the receiver, not even hdmi and you can't

I stil think it is silly
post #3555 of 3982
Is there a way to get at least the surround mode to display over HDMI? I want to move my gear into another room so I won't be able to see the front display. I'm running it to an Epson 8350 PJ.
I've only had it (an SC-1526) for a couple weeks & haven't really had much time to play with it, so I don't know the FW revision. Did a FW update adress this? I don't have an iThingy (yet) & I'd like to keep to my Harmony One remote instead of having to take out another device to know what surround mode it's in.
post #3556 of 3982
^^^^

no, you can't get that information over HDMI

you can get it over ethernet or RS-232 - but I think the harmony remotes are only IR?

the ipad running icontrolav2 will tell you what you need to know -
post #3557 of 3982
With the receiver it replaced, an HK AVR-325, I was able to set the default surround mode for each input, although it may have been for when the receiver was turned on. Is the SC-55 able to do this? I read the manual & didn't find anything. It could be used as a work-around. Change inputs back & forth to set the surround mode. Plus, I use my HTPC for movies with DD or DTS & most of the time with music, I use 7 channel stereo. What happens now is that I listen to music, turn it off, later on go to watch a movie & I have to set it back to Auto or whatever it's called.
post #3558 of 3982
I have the 55 and can't seem to get the midnight/loudness mode to come up. I checked the maual
post #3559 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron32 View Post

I have the 55 and can't seem to get the midnight/loudness mode to come up. I checked the maual

I think what you want is auto level control alc

See page 43 of the manual
post #3560 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyd View Post

I think what you want is auto level control alc
See page 43 of the manual
Thank you for your answer.
post #3561 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post

Is there a way to get at least the surround mode to display over HDMI? I want to move my gear into another room so I won't be able to see the front display. I'm running it to an Epson 8350 PJ.
I've only had it (an SC-1526) for a couple weeks & haven't really had much time to play with it, so I don't know the FW revision. Did a FW update adress this? I don't have an iThingy (yet) & I'd like to keep to my Harmony One remote instead of having to take out another device to know what surround mode it's in.

I don't see any provision to do that
post #3562 of 3982
So I picked up one of these (the 55) new in sealed box at bb for half price (clearance). This is my first elite and I’m overall pretty impressed. Few comments and questions.

Is there any way to see the main menu on the tv at the same time the program is on? All my other avrs I could hit menu and it would pop up in front of the program on the screen but you could still see and hear the show behind it. As it is when I hit menu the sound and show are gone. At the very least get to it without it stopping the show on the avr display screen?

I personally like the remote. I have had big remotes with screens and huge buttons. I’m not saying I want small and cheap but this isn’t cheap it’s just small, easy to use, and lights up. So everything I want.

I had a hard time getting the 12v trigger working right (for an amp). I turned it on (to main) and it worked right away but as soon as I changed the input the amp would shut off (would actually go into protection mode and blink). I didn’t realize you had to turn the hdmi switch off and set the trigger to on for all the inputs. But I figured it out and all is well. Could be I just made it way harder than it needed to be. redface.gif
Edited by Reference_head - 11/2/12 at 2:14pm
post #3563 of 3982
I am trying to setup HDMI standby through however I don't know what I did wrong and couldn't figure out how to set it. I have tried setting Standby Through to Normal or Eco but both didn't work. As soon as I turn off the receiver, the TV signal is lost. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #3564 of 3982
I have a question about HDMI Standby Through on the SC55. The manual is pretty terrible. It sounds like Standby Through is only functional when HDMI CONTROL is ON, and then only will work with other HDMI Control compatible components. I can find no indication that can turn this functionality on except when HDMI CONTROL is set to ON. I noticed that it is just the opposite on the latest Yamaha Aventage receivers. HDMI Control must be off... Thanks for any insight that can be provided!
post #3565 of 3982
I scanned through all 119 pages for discussion of hdmi standby through and not finding too many people talked about this feature. I see other Pio receivers users having the same problem couldn't get this feature to work. Some people got it to work only with certain devices that are compatible with Pio receivers.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Passthrough/forum/Fx1VQP72THUWPAF/Tx3LCQRNPK80PW1/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004M8RPBI

If you are using this feature, please share your experience. Thanks.
post #3566 of 3982
WLUK- Thanks for the link concerning SC-55 HDMI Standby Through. Sounds like it is problematical at best.
post #3567 of 3982
I'm looking at picking up a 55 or 57 tomorrow. I am running this off of a small solar system and into a small room (17x15), so efficiency is key for me. Does one have higher efficiency (or other advantages) over the other? Price difference is about $200. Thanks
post #3568 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by wluk View Post

I scanned through all 119 pages for discussion of hdmi standby through and not finding too many people talked about this feature. I see other Pio receivers users having the same problem couldn't get this feature to work. Some people got it to work only with certain devices that are compatible with Pio receivers.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Passthrough/forum/Fx1VQP72THUWPAF/Tx3LCQRNPK80PW1/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004M8RPBI
If you are using this feature, please share your experience. Thanks.

I've had it work with none pioneer stuff but I was just experimenting
post #3569 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dberge View Post

I'm looking at picking up a 55 or 57 tomorrow. I am running this off of a small solar system and into a small room (17x15), so efficiency is key for me. Does one have higher efficiency (or other advantages) over the other? Price difference is about $200. Thanks

same amp chip and amp board design, so same efficiency just one has lower power than the other. that's due to power supply not the amp design.
post #3570 of 3982
I get a "HDCP Error" message on the sc-55s screen when my display if off. Is there a way to hide this message?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-55/SC-57 Owners Thread