Finished building my first HTPC this weekend and have been doing some testing with a small Samsung 1080p TV we have in one of the bedrooms. Initially tried to get 7MC and MB going per Assassin's blog, but no joy playing MKV's. Installed MC16 and had great HD MKV playback even with RO-HQ (no HW accel). DVD TS_VIDEO playback was ok in RO, but pretty jerky in RO-HQ.
Installed the EVGA GTS450 card I ordered, installed the latest Nvidia driver, adjusted my resolution slightly for overscan (cheap TV - no adjustment or "PC mode") and fired MC16 back up. Wow! Blu-ray rips looked even better on RO-HQ with HW accel, and DVD rips were fine with the same setting, exclusive or windowed. GPU is loafing at about 22% with 1080P, 7% with DVD. LAV CUVID shows active along with madVR.
Have a few things to still figure out and would appreciate pointers or suggestions, although I'm still searching for info here and in the J River forum.
- Since I now have GPU horsepower to burn, what madVR settings are the best to try? I realize this isn't really a MC16 thing, so I'm still on the hunt for this info by searching the forums.
- I will have to use 7MC for TV with my HDHomeRun Prime that is coming next week. I want to add MC16 as a plugin to 7MC (and have it come up in theater mode) and likewise add a way to get back to 7MC from MC16 wtihout going out to the Windows desktop (we are talking Harmony remote here). I think I know how to add it to 7MC, but not the reverse nor how to have it start in theater view.
- My DVD rips are in ISO. I added the file type as data, but I cannot figure out how to get MC16 to treat them as video. I extracted the TS_VIDEO folder for now on a few to test with.
- My metadata solution is to use Media Center Master to tag everything and MC16 pickes up the major tags from the sidecar files and creates corresponding JR sidecar files. Works fine except that MCM is really flakey on scraping metadata - I get a lot of "invalid XML" error messages even though the XML file looks fine when viewed as text. I managed to get all of my BD rips tagged, but it was ugly. Tried MyMovies, but the sidecar file only had basic info in it - is there a way to configure it to write more of the metadata?
- I'm pretty confused on how to tag TV series. I saw a post on using [series name].[season].[episode].[episode name] and scraping it with the library tool for filename-to-tags, but while I got the episode name applied correctly, the series, season and episode number appeared to be discarded. I must be doing something wrong?
This seems to be a great program, but no manual, and the Wiki being somewhat out of date is a big speed bump. A sticky FAQ with integration and metadata tips would be a big help, since it seems that's where most of the questions arise.