or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5509 Processor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo SC5509 Processor - Page 2

post #31 of 277
I know I am getting old and crotchety. However, in multiple venues, there are complaints about no 11.2 on the new, not yet available 5509.

I am stuck back 3 gens in the PR SC 886 (and an even older Bryston 1.7 in a anthropologists dream setup! fuggetaboutit, another story) In the 886 setup, we are in a 40x25 room with 12' ceilings...But no software or media to take advantage of anything past kludges for the 7 mains, much less thinking about 9 or 11...so what's the heartburn, or what am I missing in the hardware/programming???

Please help me understand what an old guy is missing via the extra channels and no attendant software.
post #32 of 277
I would like an 11.2 but I could deal with a 9.2 for now. I'd just upgrade in a year anyways lol
post #33 of 277
wow hope this comes soon, looking to get a 3d tv soon, have the pr-sc5507 at the moment.
post #34 of 277
subscribed
post #35 of 277
post #36 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprader View Post

Please help me understand what an old guy is missing via the extra channels and no attendant software.

You're not missing anything old chap.
9.2 and 11.2 is for ignorant people who are easily fooled by marketing tricks and retailers telling them they need to buy more speakers.
Oh, and 3D can fall into that category as well.
post #37 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokov View Post

You're not missing anything old chap.
9.2 and 11.2 is for ignorant people who are easily fooled by marketing tricks and retailers telling them they need to buy more speakers.
Oh, and 3D can fall into that category as well.

Is that a fact? I personally don't care about 3D. To many drawbacks. So, how come this fool wants 11.2 but not 3D? Am I selectively ingnorant then?

I have tested the front presence channels on my Yamaha RX-V2700 when Audyssey was presented. In grand scenes, such as in Star Wars etc, the scale is grander. When my son is playing with the PS3, there's a perception of more 3D (no kidding). The battle field seems deeper when I switch on the presence program.

So, no, there's no discrete 11 channel content. So the echo-game in House Of Flying Daggers would not benefit. It's more refined as that. It has to do with immersiveness and grander scale.

Some people say, buy better speakers, not more. But how could a superb speaker positioned @ 30° off-axis replace the sound that a speaker positioned @ 60° off axis (Wide) produces? What a superb speaker does is disperse (image) it's output evenly over a very wide field, which is a different thing all together (but a very wanted thing, I admit).

What do you have to say about that? Please, teach this fool.
post #38 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokov View Post

9.2 and 11.2 is for ignorant people who are easily fooled by marketing tricks and retailers telling them they need to buy more speakers.

I suggest anyone interested in extracting more channels than contained in the original content (like people did with Lexicon processors for a decade before 7.1 material was available) research more before reaching a conclusion.
post #39 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

Is that a fact? I personally don't care about 3D. To many drawbacks. So, how come this fool wants 11.2 but not 3D? Am I selectively ingnorant then?

Well, apologies if you took my comment personally as I was just generalising.

I have tried extra speakers for myself, although Heights rather than Wides, and using both the Dolby PLIIz and Audyssey DSX modes available in Onkyo amps. The results were under whelming and I went back to conventional 7.1.

Hell, I even ended up selling my rears and going back to 5.1. I did have good well positioned speakers though.

That was almost a couple of years ago and recently I improved the sound quality of my system even further by changing to fully active pro speakers, still 5.1, I wouldn't dream of adding any more speakers. 9.2 and 11.2 is all nonsense really.

(Subs are a different matter and multiple subs can improve sound quality).
post #40 of 277
Thread Starter 
Krokov,

Karputhala?? Is that near planet K-Pax??
post #41 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokov View Post

Well, apologies if you took my comment personally as I was just generalising.

I have tried extra speakers for myself, although Heights rather than Wides, and using both the Dolby PLIIz and Audyssey DSX modes available in Onkyo amps. The results were under whelming and I went back to conventional 7.1.

Hell, I even ended up selling my rears and going back to 5.1. I did have good well positioned speakers though.

That was almost a couple of years ago and recently I improved the sound quality of my system even further by changing to fully active pro speakers, still 5.1, I wouldn't dream of adding any more speakers. 9.2 and 11.2 is all nonsense really.

(Subs are a different matter and multiple subs can improve sound quality).

No worries, at least you have tried and tested, unlike most who burn down the principle.

You are wrong about multiple subs if you say "can improve". It's more correct to say "will" improve... Indeed 2nd sub is the first upgrade from 5.1.
post #42 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I suggest anyone interested in extracting more channels than contained in the original content (like people did with Lexicon processors for a decade before 7.1 material was available) research more before reaching a conclusion.

9.2 is a valid surround mode but I think Integra/Onkyo does it wrong. They set priority to the rear surround speakers and force their use in 9.2 mode. The front high and/or front wide should have priority in 7.2 and 9.2 configurations. The rear surrounds normally would only be used in a 11.2 configuration. The Denon 4311 doesn't have these restrictions or what I call obsolete priorities.
post #43 of 277
Hello
That is not entirely correct.On the 5508 you can choose to use both high and wides together instead of back surrounds.

Regards
post #44 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by perzon57 View Post

Hello
That is not entirely correct.On the 5508 you can choose to use both high and wides together instead of back surrounds.

Regards

Correct, the 5507 was width or height, not both. With the 5508 (and 5509), you can set it up as you wish in the menu. It's in the manual. Choose any 2 out of 3: width, height, rear. Onkyo simply didn't bother to change the text next to the outputs. There's a scheme on p13 of the 5508's manual.

The difference with Denon, if I remember correctly, is that their 4810 model has 11 (pre-) outputs and thus you can connect 11 speakers in total. Then you can toggle in the menu which configuration of 9 speakers you will use, without disconnecting the 2 unused speakers.

And ofcourse the 4311 can be used with 11 speakers at the same time.
post #45 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by perzon57 View Post
Hello
That is not entirely correct.On the 5508 you can choose to use both high and wides together instead of back surrounds.

Regards
OK thanks for the correction. Back panel is labeled funny. So the surround back preamp out can be re-assigned?
post #46 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

OK thanks for the correction. Back panel is labeled funny. So the surround back preamp out can be re-assigned?

Yes, you do this simply by opting "yes" for the FRONT HIGH + FRONT WIDE option! (Advanced Set-up section)

from p 48 of the 5508 manual:

■Front High + Front Wide
􀁠Yes:
Front High + Front Wide on.
􀁠No:
Front High + Front Wide off.
Listening mode that make use of Front High + Front
Wide setting is as follows;
Audyssey DSX (PLII/Neo:6 + Audyssey DSX included),
Orchestra, Unplugged, Studio-Mix, TV Logic, Game-
RPG, Game-Action, Game-Rock, Game-Sports, All Ch
Stereo, Full Mono.
Note
When you have selected Yes,
- the Surround Back setting is set to None.
- the Front High or Front Wide setting is set to
80Hz(THX) if set to None.
When you have selected No, the Front Wide setting is set
to None if Front High and Front Wide settings are set to
anything other than None.
The Front High + Front Wide setting cannot be used if
Speakers Type(Front) is set to Bi-Amp.
post #47 of 277
I think this processor will be great with my Sunfire 7-400
post #48 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I think this processor will be great with my Sunfire 7-400

Me too (I have the same amp) !

- Rich
post #49 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Me too (I have the same amp) !

- Rich

it is for sure better than the onkyo power amp - that is why I love separates


but - I am clueless about if the 5509 offer improved sound quality of the 5508 - processor, room correction and DACs seem the same... new design seems to be the biggest change.... besides the 4k scaling....
post #50 of 277
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Me too (I have the same amp) !

- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I think this processor will be great with my Sunfire 7-400


You could run 2 Onkyo 5509's off of that monstroscity!!
post #51 of 277
Hello,

I have the following:

AVR: Denon 4308CI
AMP: Emotiva XPA-5

5.1 B&W Speakers
Fronts: CM8
Center: CM Center
Rears: CM1
Sub: ASW10 (Plan to get an additional when space permits... maybe 1 year from now)

Wall treatments: A couple of acoustic panels & a bass trap

OK, So a couple of months I bought XPA-5 and planned to buy ONKYO 5508 but decided to wait for 5509. Since 5509 is around the corner, question again is would it be worth it...

I don't think I will buy more speakers... That can change if I move but I don't see my self gettting more speakers...

Also, I'm not really interested in 3D but 4K upscaling would be nice... but I really don't plan on buying a new TV for 4K anytime soon...

So will it be worth it ?
post #52 of 277
need some updates....
post #53 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Hello,

I have the following:

AVR: Denon 4308CI
AMP: Emotiva XPA-5

5.1 B&W Speakers
Fronts: CM8
Center: CM Center
Rears: CM1
Sub: ASW10 (Plan to get an additional when space permits... maybe 1 year from now)

Wall treatments: A couple of acoustic panels & a bass trap

OK, So a couple of months I bought XPA-5 and planned to buy ONKYO 5508 but decided to wait for 5509. Since 5509 is around the corner, question again is would it be worth it...

I don't think I will buy more speakers... That can change if I move but I don't see my self gettting more speakers...

I have the CM7, CMC and the CM1. The CMC2 was not yet avalable in 2007. But the CMC2 is superior: tweeter and FST midrange are vertical aligned and it's three-way, not two-way. Changing the CMC would mean some woodwork changes for me, so I don't bother.
post #54 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

I have the CM7, CMC and the CM1. The CMC2 was not yet avalable in 2007. But the CMC2 is superior: tweeter and FST midrange are vertical aligned and it's three-way, not two-way. Changing the CMC would mean some woodwork changes for me, so I don't bother.

I had considered the CMC2 when I bought a couple of months ago, but since I have a relative small living room (14'x12') and I expect future living rooms to be similar size I went with CMC. The CM Center2 I believe is for larger rooms... hence I stayed with CM Center.

Also, CM C2 height is 8.6" and I only had 8.5" space in my cabinet. Looks nicer in drawer instead of on top of cabinet.
post #55 of 277
Thread Starter 
Any bloaks across the pond got one of these yet??
post #56 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

I'm waiting for the SC5509 which should be out in a couple of months. Hopefully, without hardware problems...

If you are interested in Onkyo...wait it out for the 5509

My 5508 just had the issues and it WAS NOT manufactured in the time frame that was mentioned above...
As for the units affected..I would say its enough of a percentage to be concerned

and if you have to get ahold of Onkyo to set up repair...make sure its a day you have a LOT of patience

They sent me a prepaid box and mine is being shipped back to the shop shortly

On another..IMO...the new xx09 faceplace looks better than the xx08 series models

Onkyo just replaced my 905 receiver that failed with a new 5009...I like the new look much better


Warren
post #57 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Onkyo just replaced my 905 receiver that failed with a new 5009...I like the new look much better

How did you get Onkyo to replace a 3-4 year old model AVR with a new one? Was it a straight up swap?

Bill
post #58 of 277
Don't want to start a fire, but I was just heard the 5509 will NOT be released in the US ?
Can anyone verify ?
It will only be a European release !
post #59 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

Don't want to start a fire, but I was just heard the 5509 will NOT be released in the US ?
Can anyone verify ?
It will only be a European release !

Sounds wrong.
It makes no sense to ignore the larger markets.

- Rich
post #60 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokov View Post

You're not missing anything old chap.
9.2 and 11.2 is for ignorant people who are easily fooled by marketing tricks and retailers telling them they need to buy more speakers.
Oh, and 3D can fall into that category as well.

lmao, considering 99% of all content is 5.1. I guess people who have 7.1 setups are also easily fooled by marketing tricks and retailers telling them they need to buy more speakers.

Well colour me a product of marketing and a fool because I like 9.1, 11.1 and 3D TV!!!!

btw, .2 is really .1 if we are going to argue about marketing then you should understand posting .2 is also really just a another marketing trick because you can have 10 subwoofers ( I have 6) and its still .1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo SC5509 Processor