or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New Monoprice floor-standing subwoofers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Monoprice floor-standing subwoofers - Page 2

post #31 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I've not heard the subs, so I can't really attest to their quality. So I'll wait for some reviews like everybody else, but I just can't fathom that they can be that impressive for so low a cost?!?!?

I know the 5.1 speaker set they have for $80 has a speaker that looks EXACTLY like some cheap indoor outdoor "dual" speakers I bought for my former boat. Same mounting bracket, same grill, same exact look with a different logo on the grill. Those dual speakers are junk and not even worth using as a height surround or rear surround speaker on a budget setup. If the monoprice speaker is a rebranded version of that dual stay far far away.

Exactly how high is the bar for $85 subwoofers?
post #32 of 113
I can see a lot of uses for a really cheap sub. I trust monoprice to deliver on a solid product for the price. Am I expecting servo quality, of course not. But if monoprice sells a mount for $40 that would cost $150 anywhere else, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. That said, I won't be using this in my theater, but at my office a cheap sub for my computer might be cool. And for $85, it looks a lot nicer than 90% of the included subs in pc speaker sets. Nice work Monoprice. Seems like a good place to start.
post #33 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hey John,

I don't really understand why Monoprice is branching into other products that may cloud the monoprice brand's quality allure. Monoprice is currently associated with a quality wire/interconnect product at a bare basement price! Your company enjoys a good reputation among most of our enthusiast community. As soon as you start introducing presumably subpar (even if dirt cheap) audio equipment your brand recognition will get drug through the mud a bit. The couple dollars here or there you make selling a cheap subwoofer is not worth tarnishing your company's brand in my opinion. Even if these subs are reasonably good quality considering the rock bottom price, they won't compete with many other, even low end, retail or Internet Direct vendors. I do understand $80 for a 12 inch sub is almost unheard of, but in reality how many traditional 12" subs are you going to be able to best for the money...If the answer is very few -- then your shop should quit venturing down this road. It doesn't matter if your sub is half price of all the other 12 subs in the entire market. Even if the price is cheaper than what you could buy say a Infinity, JBL, or Klipshe sub by half, if it doesn't sound the same or better than the options people know then you are just tarnishing your brand....People unfamiliar with monoprice may then believe errantly that monoprice only sells "junk." I just don't see what you have to gain by selling an $80 12" subwoofer.

I issue this caution as an enthusiast monoprice customer. I've used you guys for years and actually have an order on the way right now. I've been happy with the product sold on every occassion save one where I got a bad HDMI cable, but your customer support was awesome and a new cable was immediately shipped out free of charge. People have finally come to realize that the monoprice cables are great cables at a fantastic price and I just hate to see the company tarnish its name with weak products -- even if they are offered at cheap prices.

Hello Archaea,

Thank you for your concern. While Monoprice does strive for quality in its products, we do venture and research products into other categories to see how our user base would react. That is why we back all our cables and non-electronics with a lifetime warranty and electronics with a 1 year warranty. We are absolutely confident that you will like the new items that we have kept that policy since the inception of the company.

Rest assured, our intention is not to fill our product catalog with cheap and subpar items. The newer items we carry go to a rigorous quality check and testing phase so only expect the best, coming from us.

Our goal is ultimately, quality comes first, but the next priority after that is bang for buck. While I do understand your concern of having cheap items degrading our company's image. Keep in mind, we did obtain it by doing the same exact thing with our cables. Our cables are at a fraction of our competitors and as you can see from the feedback, our reputation on quality and pricing is only increasing. So give those items a chance, I'm sure you won't be disappointed .

John Lingo
Tech Support
Monoprice.com
post #34 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Here it is. I think it weighs more than 9 lbs :-) Actually looks OK.

http://www.weit-audio.com/details.asp?id=518

Gene

Is that cord a power cord?
or is it some kind of dual input into a single wire thing?

If that's the power cord, it looks pretty feeble. Like something you would see on a lamp. Is it even 3 prong?
post #35 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Is that cord a power cord?
or is it some kind of dual input into a single wire thing?

If that's the power cord, it looks pretty feeble. Like something you would see on a lamp. Is it even 3 prong?

At 150w, the sub doesn't use as much power as some lamps do. Why would it need a thicker power cord?
post #36 of 113
Once the reviews do come in, I'd take them with a grain of salt. I love Monoprice as much as the next guy--their cable prices can't be beat and their customer service is good as well--but there's some shady stuff going on with their reviews. I got some in-ear headphones from them last October. They really sucked, so I wrote a negative review. I got an email from them saying they were sorry I had a bad experience and that they would pass my issues along to their development department. I was feeling pretty good about them until three weeks later I noticed that my review had been pulled. I wrote an email to them alerting them to this, and they apologized and reposted my review. I don't know if that's at all typical, but it made me a bit more wary of all those positive reviews.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed: their reviews are sorted by the rating in decreasing order. Apparently the "Helpfulness" of the review has no impact. Have a look:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback
post #37 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

At 150w, the sub doesn't use as much power as some lamps do. Why would it need a thicker power cord?

Fist of all, there's RMS power and Peak Power. Lamps won't have much difference between RMS and peak since they give off a constant brightness. Subwoofers on the other hand can require several multiples of RMS at times. So all things being equal wattage wise, the sub should have a thicker cable.

Second, I've owned some relatively low powered subs and they all have cables similar to computer power cables. Thick with 3 prongs. I've never seen a sub that didn't have a cable like a computer cable.

I can't tell what gauge the cable is, but it looks kind of skinny to me.
post #38 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I can't tell what gauge the cable is, but it looks kind of skinny to me.

Looks You're-a-Peein' to me. I'd guess since the voltage higher and the amperage is lower, and you wouldn't possibly need as thick a cable. But, I've been wrong before.
post #39 of 113
Power cord: anyone that has owns a lower powered surround receiver by Yamaha Onkyo Pioneer etc, something in the $150 to $300 range and only weighs around 20lbs, go look at it. I bet it uses something like a 16ga power cord with a 2 prong plug. And a receiver likethat is usually rated at around 75 to 100 watts per channel in stereo mode with .1% THD into 8 ohms from 20Hz-20kHz. That range of power usage roughly equates to this subwoofer being discusssed, so I would not be surprised if it used a similar power cord. I dont have a connection to this company but am just an electronics geek.

Quote:


I'd guess since the voltage higher and the amperage is lower, and you wouldn't possibly need as thick a cable.

Good theory.
post #40 of 113
So nobody has one of these 12" Monoprice subwoofers that can give a review?
post #41 of 113
I wonder at the people assuming this is a sub-par product. Ever looked at the reviews on Monoprice's in-wall speakers? I have no less than 22 of them in two rooms, and wish I'd got more for other rooms. With some accoustic treatments in the rooms and coupled with subs and/or buttkickers, they make an awesome HT for the money.
I'll reserve judgment until reviews are in, and may well be one of the first to write a review since a sub in my HT just died. If only they made the 12" version in black.

Monoprice: Make the 12" sub in black and I'll buy two immediately!
post #42 of 113
I am really interested in these for 100 bucks shipped there isn't much other competition besides the polk psw10 and the sony w2500 . It seems to be a sealed sub so prob better for music than ht . hopefully someone picks one up and gives their thoughts on it .
post #43 of 113
thinking about getting this for HT
post #44 of 113
I don't see why you guys would be shocked if these were good. Speakers are a notorious high markup industry (just like everything else monoprice specializes in). I would more likely expect them to be the best deal on the market. If I was in need for a sub in that range, that would be my first option. I only hope they expand to regular ht speakers as well
post #45 of 113
Heres an idea I have had for a while and these subs are cheap enough I may just try it. I have been thinking about adding a sub under each of my front 3 speakers with them plugged into my pre-outs for those three channels. My front 3 can only play down to about 80Hrz and I normally cross them over at 90. But if I were to add these I could then cross these channels over lower and then still have my main sub hooked into my LFE sub output for the truly deep stuff.

Is this completely stupid? Is it worth a shot?
post #46 of 113
The 12" sub is a Mid Bass Module and only goes down to 50 Hz as per Monoprice stats, so it can't be used as a True Sub.
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

Once the reviews do come in, I'd take them with a grain of salt. I love Monoprice as much as the next guy--their cable prices can't be beat and their customer service is good as well--but there's some shady stuff going on with their reviews. I got some in-ear headphones from them last October. They really sucked, so I wrote a negative review. I got an email from them saying they were sorry I had a bad experience and that they would pass my issues along to their development department. I was feeling pretty good about them until three weeks later I noticed that my review had been pulled. I wrote an email to them alerting them to this, and they apologized and reposted my review. I don't know if that's at all typical, but it made me a bit more wary of all those positive reviews.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed: their reviews are sorted by the rating in decreasing order. Apparently the "Helpfulness" of the review has no impact. Have a look:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback


They been of doing that way of rating for awhile now I happen to notice it that way before sucks but I know to go to the end then read my way back to the start.
post #48 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

The 12" sub is a Mid Bass Module and only goes down to 50 Hz as per Monoprice stats, so it can't be used as a True Sub.

Hm, it looks to me like that's just the low pass xover point.

Specs point to 30-250hz response.
post #49 of 113
If it does indeed have a -3db at 30 hz I would say thats not all that impressive... but for $84, I'd say thats damn good for the price.
post #50 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

If it does indeed have a -3db at 30 hz

Unfortunately, that isn't listed. But, as you say, for the price... I'd be surprised if this didn't outperform the PSW10 for response AND SPL.
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Heres an idea I have had for a while and these subs are cheap enough I may just try it. I have been thinking about adding a sub under each of my front 3 speakers with them plugged into my pre-outs for those three channels. My front 3 can only play down to about 80Hrz and I normally cross them over at 90. But if I were to add these I could then cross these channels over lower and then still have my main sub hooked into my LFE sub output for the truly deep stuff.

Is this completely stupid? Is it worth a shot?

I would not purchase the subwoofers for connecting directly to the speakers. What I would do, however, is purchase four for each corner (or mid-point of the walls) and you would have a mind-numbing musical response. Because most music digs down to only around 40hz, and while some rap digs down to the mid to low 30's, it often does not go much lower. Many movies have little content below 30hz, although newer high budget movies usually have a lot in the mid 20's range and recently have been dipping all the way down to the single digit ranges.

Obviously, this subwoofer would not be for playing 16hz notes of pipe organs or the infrasonic helicopter rotary blade frequencies. For that purpose, you may be able to use your other subwoofer. Because the subwoofer is ported and is tuned higher, you will get a LOT of visceral impact in both music and movies, and significantly more reliable bass consistency with four. Having four will give you a large decibel benefit as well as the aforementioned bass consistency throughout the room.

You could likely reach reference levels with little trouble. The 8" Monoprice in-ceiling speakers I installed for a client easily reached reference volume and are very impressive, so I can only imagine the same would be applicable for their subs. If you have an automatic calibration system in your receiver, you may achieve better results. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for Monoprice but they have thus far been the most reliable and cost-efficient option for home theater I have ever used.
post #52 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

If only they made the 12" version in black.

Monoprice: Make the 12" sub in black and I'll buy two immediately!

+1.

Well, in black I'd buy *one*, anyway...
post #53 of 113
Well I just jumped in and bought one. This will be my first real (non hitb) subwoofer so my experience is limited but I will post my impressions when I get it.
post #54 of 113
I wish there were a few reviews of these by someone with actual sub experience. The reviews on the site are pointless.. When someone says HUGE BASS!!! Insane impact! etc etc from an 80$ sub I tend to think they are a little greenhornish. I wouldn't mind adding a handful of these to systems around my house.. Maybe even a couple for mid bass impact..
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

From a 12" subwoofer that weighs all of 9lbs., my expectations would be pretty low.

yeah but you could buy 50 of them for a mere $3,915.00, I bet that is some swweeet performance then! LOL!
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curler View Post

Well I just jumped in and bought one. This will be my first real (non hitb) subwoofer so my experience is limited but I will post my impressions when I get it.

you assume much...


... yet I'll be curious of your impressions.

What HTIB sub did you have before? Have you ever heard a real sub? Say the caliber of an HSU VTF-MK3 or so? My first experience hearing an HSU sub was a jaw dropping experience -- as in call everyone I know that's interested in home audio just to evangelize how darn good it sounded!

That coming from subwoofers I've owned
Multiple Car Audio Subwoofer Experiences with subs ranging from MA Audio to Infinity
JBL 15" home theatre sub
a pair of Infinity HPS-1000
a pair of Jamo D7 subwoofers
a custom ottoman with four 15" subwoofers.

and multiple more subwoofers I've heard - yet never owned in both realms of car and home audio


The first time hearing an HSU VTF-15H I would have traded any of them without thinking twice for a HSU VTF-15H.


Thus --- I'd not qualify this monoprice sub as a real sub - yet.
post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

yeah but you could buy 50 of them for a mere $3,915.00, I bet that is some swweeet performance then! LOL!

would you rather have 50 ford fiestas
or one ferrari enzo?

would you rather have 50 hostess twinkies?
or one tippins pie?

50 of something doesn't automatically indicate better than one.


I'd put my two Captivator Pros up against 50 of these monoprice subwoofers and best the monoprice subs in both max clean SPL and low frequency reproduction.


It's too early to know how these subs preform - so I withhold my judgement, I just can't get too excited about them at the pricepoint given my past experiences with subwoofers.
post #58 of 113
They're like $80 Archaea. I think it's probably best to compare them to subs in the ~$150 range.
post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by leninGHOLA View Post

They're like $80 Archaea. I think it's probably best to compare them to subs in the ~$150 range.

There's a subwoofer meet coming up in October --- the 22nd. One of the members here is hosting it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1349742

To the monoprice rep. Would you be interested in submitting one of your subwoofers to the upcoming subwoofer meet for review by multiple AVSforum members? We could return the subwoofer to monoprice following the meet. It would be a great independent review with multiple avsforum members attending who could them comment on the quality of the subwoofer. Your review cost would be the price of shipping both ways, and assuming your product preformed admirably --- would probably result in a much increased sales volume based on the subwoofer meet attendees feedback. Rest assured I'll give anything a fair shake after an audition, but color me skeptical up front -- if only because there are sooo many junk subwoofers that fail in their attempt to reproduce the sound they are designed to reproduce. Nearly all HTIB type subs I've ever heard fall into this category. Not all inexpensive subs are fodder however -- If you read my other posts on this forum you'll see I have many times posted positive comments on inexpensive subwoofers that really preform well when compared to their typical pricepoint competitors - the BIC F12 is a prime example of a subwoofer that at $188 shipped preforms well above many/most inexpensive subwoofers I've ever heard. The monoprice subs are in an unusual category in the sense that at their ~$80 pricepoint have virtually no competition.
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

There's a subwoofer meet coming up in October --- the 22nd. One of the members here is hosting it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1349742

To the monoprice rep. Would you be interested in submitting one of your subwoofers to the upcoming subwoofer meet for review by multiple AVSforum members? We could return the subwoofer to monoprice following the meet. It would be a great independent review with multiple avsforum members attending who could them comment on the quality of the subwoofer. Rest assured I'll give anything a fair shake after an audition, but color me skeptical up front -- because there are sooo many junk subwoofers that fail in their attempt to reproduce the sound they are designed to reproduce. Nearly all HTIB type subs I've ever heard fall into this category. Not all inexpensive subs are fodder however -- If you read my other posts on this forum you'll see I have posted positive comments on inexpensive subwoofers that really preform well when compared above their typical competitors - the BIC F12 is a prime example of a subwoofer that at $188 shipped preforms well above many/most inexpensive subwoofers I've ever heard.

Send it to Ricci?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New Monoprice floor-standing subwoofers