or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV???

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Has anyone successfully signed up for NFL Sunday Ticket via the internet without being a subscriber? I've read multiple articles stating that DirecTV is offering this for people who can not physically get DirecTV at their residence but after talking to 10 CSR's, no direcTV employees know anything about it. Here's some of the articles discussing the option...

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-08/...thout-directv/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...day_ticke.html

Fleming
post #2 of 28
You want to pay 350 dollars to stream games to a PC? The key to this is that you have to prove to Directv that you want their service, but can't get service.
post #3 of 28
You can get 4 games on Sunday in HD for free with an antenna. Its not worth $350 to stream games to a computer to me.
post #4 of 28
5 games OTA every Sunday. The greatness that is SNF, you forgot.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

5 games OTA every Sunday. The greatness that is SNF, you forgot.

no... he didn't forget...

it's 4 every sunday.

each week Fox/CBS rotate doubleheaders (only week 17 do both have 2 games each)
post #6 of 28
Heck I just bum the NFL Sunday Ticket To Go account from my friend. As of last year I was even able to watch the Chargers games that were blacked out from within the 75 mile radius. I did notice late last year DirecTV did change the wording to enforce the blackout from where the NFL Sunday Ticket from where the user has his Sunday Ticket account, so I'm not entirely sure what that will mean for this season. I do remember prior to DirecTV's rewording of the blackout situation that blackouts would be enforced, but they weren't.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post
Heck I just bum the NFL Sunday Ticket To Go account from my friend.
In my state that is now against the law and punishable by 2 years in prison.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post
5 games OTA every Sunday. The greatness that is SNF, you forgot.
If one can get in OTA reasonably well. In my area daytime viewing for FOX is non-existant and getting in CBS requires a low-VHF antenna. Also my team isn't shown much in my area.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
You want to pay 350 dollars to stream games to a PC? The key to this is that you have to prove to Directv that you want their service, but can't get service.
A) you can hook up a PC to a TV.

B) Saves you the cost of paying for DirecTv service.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post
In my state that is now against the law and punishable by 2 years in prison.
I'm guessing you're in Tennessee. I will say this much though, DirecTV is pretty strict as only one user at a time can log on and watch. Ditto with HBO Go if you log in using a DirecTV account.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post
A) you can hook up a PC to a TV.

B) Saves you the cost of paying for DirecTv service.
Better off finding a friend, co-worker etc that pays for it and offer to pay half the bill for access to the PC portion.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
Better off finding a friend, co-worker etc that pays for it and offer to pay half the bill for access to the PC portion.
Agreed.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
Better off finding a friend, co-worker etc that pays for it and offer to pay half the bill for access to the PC portion.
Pay half of $335 for a $50 add-on? Of course they have to be willing to give you access to their online account. That's very trust worthy.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post
Pay half of $335 for a $50 add-on? Of course they have to be willing to give you access to their online account. That's very trust worthy.
Yes, much cheaper than paying 350 dollars for an addon. Not sure about your friends and family, but I would have no issues sharing my Directv info with them.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post
If one can get in OTA reasonably well. In my area daytime viewing for FOX is non-existant and getting in CBS requires a low-VHF antenna. Also my team isn't shown much in my area.
You probably have read the HDTV Technical forum and read about the correct antenna for your situation and gone to www.tvfool.com. Unless you are 80 miles away from the towers or have a mountain in your backyard you might want to look at your antenna setup.

I'm lucky to live 8 miles away from the broadcast towers and I get all my channels at full strength all the time with an indoor antenna. I get 15 channels (6 in HD).
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

You probably have read the HDTV Technical forum and read about the correct antenna for your situation and gone to www.tvfool.com. Unless you are 80 miles away from the towers or have a mountain in your backyard you might want to look at your antenna setup.

Yes I have read that forum and many others. Know all about TVfool. Experimented with my own deisgns. I'm 70-75 miles away from the Nashville stations.
post #17 of 28
That's too bad that it doesn't work at your location. I'm fortunate enough to get 4 FOXs and 3 CBSs in two different NFL markets, so I usually get at least 4 games plus SNF. I have had as many as 6 (try juggling 4 games at once on 2 screens), and on a few weekends, just 3 (when my 2 local teams are national, or play each other). I've also had a few of those "slaughter rule" game switches where I got to see the fourth quarter of a good game.
I'm working on a couple of GIS maps that will show where the signal contours overlap each other. A lot of people may be able to obtain another market's games and not know it. It's great to have another choice when NFL rules short you a game, or when the in-market game is a snoozer. Last year, I watched at least one regular-season game featuring every team in the league. That's pretty impressive considering it was FREE.
post #18 of 28
I only get stations from one city. They usually show the Falcons where I live on Fox. But at the same time they have the best matchup of the day with two AFC teams on CBS. Back in 2009 I got to see my favorite team the Dallas Cowboys 10 times for free. I didn't count how many times I saw them in 2010. But I know what I saw was to much.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemingljr View Post
Has anyone successfully signed up for NFL Sunday Ticket via the internet without being a subscriber? I've read multiple articles stating that DirecTV is offering this for people who can not physically get DirecTV at their residence but after talking to 10 CSR's, no direcTV employees know anything about it. Here's some of the articles discussing the option...

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-08/...thout-directv/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...day_ticke.html

Fleming
There is a thread in this forum right now about Sunday NFL Ticket being able to be streamed onto PS3's starting 9/6/11.

The cost is the same at $350(Ouch!). Not worth it at all IMHO, but to each their own.

If you have a good/steady broadband service(I would say averaging 5Mbps-6Mbps downstream. More is always helpful), you could try it.

I have tried MLB.TV using TWC broadband(Up to 10Mbps downstream. I would average about 4.5Mbps-5.5Mbps), on a 40" LCD, and the picture is not bad. Not great, but not bad. I am 38 years old, and remember when a snowy, wavy picture using an antenna was considered watchable. Depending on how bad you wanted to watch something.

But their has been some rebuffering going on during games, which is the most annoying part.

Just not worht $350 because of that. If sold at half that($175), then it would be worth it.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I am 38 years old, and remember when a snowy, wavy picture using an antenna was considered watchable. Depending on how bad you wanted to watch something.

I'm 44 and I remember the same thing. But when OTA went digital that eliminated all the snow and ghosting. Digital OTA has clear HD that is better than the pay TV companies plus subchannels for more free channels. I get 15 channels now when I used to only get 5.

Quote:


But their has been some rebuffering going on during games, which is the most annoying part.

That is hard enough on a free service like ESPN3.com.
post #21 of 28
if you have a ps 3 you can get it also
post #22 of 28
if you have a ps 3 you can get it also
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kelly View Post

if you have a ps 3 you can get it also
... if you surround your house with 80 ft trees.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

... if you surround your house with 80 ft trees.

If you're intimating that you need an excuse to be allowed to access Sunday Ticket via PS3, that's incorrect. Anyone can buy it regardless of access issues. The problem with it, however, is that the video and audio quality of sports on PS3 are complete garbage.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

If you're intimating that you need an excuse to be allowed to access Sunday Ticket via PS3, that's incorrect. Anyone can buy it regardless of access issues. The problem with it, however, is that the video and audio quality of sports on PS3 are complete garbage.
That's interesting. The terms and conditions say the opposite:
Quote:
In order to download the Application and access the Service, you must have answered "No" to the question "Are you able to get DIRECTV Satellite Television at your current address?"

SOURCE
post #26 of 28
And you could truthfully say No to the question if you didn't have a dish on your property.....
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

And you could truthfully say No to the question if you didn't have a dish on your property.....

and if they where to push it will it hold up in court? there is maybe a few out's in court Anit trust? Tieing? Be forced to sign a 2 year deal ?
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post


and if they where to push it will it hold up in court? there is maybe a few out's in court Anit trust? Tieing? Be forced to sign a 2 year deal ?

 

You really think DirecTV is going to send someone out to tens of thousands of homes to verify they actually don't have line of site?  I don't think so.  It's like the old days of the Network packages before locals were available, just answer "no" to all the questions and you get the networks.  Same here, you say you can't get DirecTV and your golden.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV???