or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Shootout!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker Shootout!! - Page 24

post #691 of 1141
Are you any less impressed with the eD's now that they are further away? I just checked the website and it has a blank space next the the frequency response. How low do these go? 80ish I'm guessing?
post #692 of 1141
Oops, nevermind. I was looking under specifications, it's right there on the product page 72 db.
post #693 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post

They had talked about using AE speakers for woofer upgrades, and I believe AE Speakers makes a 6" woofer. I believe it is TD6M.

There is no telling how long of a delay there would be from AE though.

That and the time it will take eD to make a new crossover. I may be banking money until tax time that way I should have around $2,500 saved up for my front 3 and a new sub, and possibly an external amp. I really like the look of that TD6M, the phase plug sets it off.
post #694 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

That and the time it will take eD to make a new crossover. I may be banking money until tax time that way I should have around $2,500 saved up for my front 3 and a new sub, and possibly an external amp. I really like the look of that TD6M, the phase plug sets it off.

They are are nice looking, and are supposed to be a great woofer, but I believe they also cost about $190 a peice.
post #695 of 1141
Thread Starter 
I am going to test them so more tonight. I measured them and the 80-300hz range looks fine, no dips or anything. I am using the better driver though!
post #696 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post


They are are nice looking, and are supposed to be a great woofer, but I believe they also cost about $190 a peice.

It's over now, but AE just had a group buy. I ordered a few TD15M's and a couple TD10M's at a great price. Those 6's were selling for under $135.00.
post #697 of 1141
Thread Starter 
So I watched Super 8 with the eD's and then of course I threw in FOTP, WOTW, Tron, and LOTR:ROTK. The eD's are actually very smooth with all the detail. They play reference levels easily and actually sound relaxed doing it. I do like my BFM's better though as they are more dynamic sounding to me. However I don't know if this is due to the T-39's added or not but either way I am building a DR-280 with this eD driver as I like it. The DR design will add about 9 DBS to it so it will be a monster for sure. I would keep the eD's if I never heard the DR's. The dynamics of the DR's are unmatched but they are a tricky speaker for sure. If you stand above or below that tweeter away you lose all the fun. This is why you have to aim them perfectly. I think the eD might have slightly better vocals of axis, I mean slight, but the dynamic are still better. The eD speaker so far is an excellent choice but I don't know the difference will be from mine to stock. It is a laid back speaker for a horn but with all the detail. Actually the top 4 speakers have great detail. I wish I had more time with the JTR for a better comparison though. I am still breaking them in and will do so for another week or so. I will sell them including the surrounds(I have not even received them yet) because I am going to go all BFM although it will be a very tight fit. If the dynamics were the same I would go with the eD as it is plug an play, actually smaller, and has a great sound. The surrounds will be very cool looking as well as they are slanted. I am hoping that more breaking in will give that punch like the DR's but with 105 db sensitivity and horn loaded it us tuff to beat the dynamics or that holy crap moment.
post #698 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

The dynamics of the DR's are unmatched but they are a tricky speaker for sure. If you stand above or below that tweeter away you lose all the fun.

You'll get the best result with the DRs placed high and tilted downward. With two or more they can J-array, which is one reason for the trapezoidal shape.
post #699 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You'll get the best result with the DRs placed high and tilted downward. With two or more they can J-array, which is one reason for the trapezoidal shape.

Yeah I had them about 60 inches high(top of them) aiming down to the seats. I am 6'3" so when I stand I am above them. I don't care as it is a theater and we sit.
post #700 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Ok so I watched Conan tonight at reference and this movie is louder than normal and the eD's came alive! They sound really good this loud! I need to put in the DR's again just to see because I was impressed indeed! I don't know about the stock woofer but this version has great Midbass just behind the JBL's in my room.
post #701 of 1141
that is very good to know that the eDs are great sounding.
post #702 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

that is very good to know that the eDs are great sounding.

Well they are a laid back horn which is odd to say. The DE-250 reminds me of a soft dome more than a CD. These are excellent but expensive the way I have them. I guess it depends on the level of mid bass one wants. They also sound good during Super 8 but I have not heard another speaker for these movies yet.
post #703 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Well they are a laid back horn which is odd to say. The DE-250 reminds me of a soft dome more than a CD. These are excellent but expensive the way I have them. I guess it depends on the level of mid bass one wants. They also sound good during Super 8 but I have not heard another speaker for these movies yet.

I gotcha. My Klipsch horns are say a tad bright. Im wondering if these are a little warmer.
post #704 of 1141
Thread Starter 
It is hard to say. The Klipsch THX ultra 2 KL-650's were not bright at all and the eD's are still a little different in their presentation. The DE-250 has all the detail and when you think it will rip your head off it stays smooth. It is a different approach than the other horns I have had. It is nice actually and almost as if you have to turn them up in comparison. I like these better than the Klipsch and they are cheaper too but if you can get the Klipsch for $500 then the stock eD would be a price match but I don't know how they sound. I have heard the SHO-10 and if they are similar it would be a preference thing. They both are good. The Klipsch were not that good for music though and this eD sounds really good. My Reference for music are Maggies. Those were the best to me for music but I would love to order a pair again and do a head to head, maybe I will do just that!
post #705 of 1141
well in my room gaming, ht, and music are the only things I do.
post #706 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

well in my room gaming, ht, and music are the only things I do.

Me too besides watching Football.
post #707 of 1141
Mk,

Which magnepan speakers did you have?
post #708 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Mk,

Which magnepan speakers did you have?

Just the MMG's and they were fantastic for their price. I would have never sold them if they could play loud enough!
post #709 of 1141
"Loud enough", are you referring to reference level music or movies?

External amplification?
post #710 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

"Loud enough", are you referring to reference level music or movies?

External amplification?

They play at Reference but all the dynamics are compressed. Still sound great but no dynamics.
post #711 of 1141
It's good to know that you are liking the eDs. I like you know have been tossing around the idea of getting some JTR speakers. I'm really hoping to get my hands on the cinema 12s before the end of the year. These will not have the upgrades yours have to give possible customers a review of the standard version.
post #712 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It is hard to say. The Klipsch THX ultra 2 KL-650's were not bright at all and the eD's are still a little different in their presentation. The DE-250 has all the detail and when you think it will rip your head off it stays smooth. It is a different approach than the other horns I have had. It is nice actually and almost as if you have to turn them up in comparison. I like these better than the Klipsch and they are cheaper too but if you can get the Klipsch for $500 then the stock eD would be a price match but I don't know how they sound. I have heard the SHO-10 and if they are similar it would be a preference thing. They both are good. The Klipsch were not that good for music though and this eD sounds really good. My Reference for music are Maggies. Those were the best to me for music but I would love to order a pair again and do a head to head, maybe I will do just that!



Hey Mk! Can you provide a little more detail on how the Ed Cinema12's sounded compared to the Klipsch ultra 2 KL-650's? I realize that the Klipschs' are way more expensive but what if they were the same price or cheaper than the Ed's-would that change how you feel about them?
post #713 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey Mk! Can you provide a little more detail on how the Ed Cinema12's sounded compared to the Klipsch ultra 2 KL-650's? I realize that the Klipschs' are way more expensive but what if they were the same price or cheaper than the Ed's-would that change how you feel about them?

I should be doing a side by side comparison very soon. Hopefully before the years up. I will have the regular 12 cinemas to give a perspective of the standard version.
post #714 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

I should be doing a side by side comparison very soon. Hopefully before the years up. I will have the regular 12 cinemas to give a perspective of the standard version.


You have a pm from me bro.
post #715 of 1141
Thread Starter 
My eD's are much better than the Klipsch I owned. These eD's are expensive compared to stock but this 12 inch driver really is nice.
post #716 of 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

My Reference for music are Maggies. Those were the best to me for music but I would love to order a pair again and do a head to head, maybe I will do just that!

Hell yes!!!! Please do, MK.

I love my Maggies but obviously for movies I need something different. I bought a CHT Sho 10 a few months ago to use as a center channel and while it would have worked great for movies I didn't really like how it sounded for music. The Maggies sound so alive compared to it.

What I'm hoping is that the eD speakers can give me the same thing as the CHT for movies and also sound great for music so I can sell the Maggies. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with 2 sets of speakers for movies and music.

I love the mid's and highs with the Maggies but I would be willing to sacrifice that a bit if I had a speaker that slammed a lot harder in the upper/mid bass while still sounding "alive".
post #717 of 1141
BTW, I would have kept the SHO as a center channel but I still had my RPTV and the SHO through off the convergence. Wouldn't you know, I have since bought a projector and sold the old dinosaur.
post #718 of 1141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Hell yes!!!! Please do, MK.

I love my Maggies but obviously for movies I need something different. I bought a CHT Sho 10 a few months ago to use as a center channel and while it would have worked great for movies I didn't really like how it sounded for music. The Maggies sound so alive compared to it.

What I'm hoping is that the eD speakers can give me the same thing as the CHT for movies and also sound great for music so I can sell the Maggies. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with 2 sets of speakers for movies and music.

I love the mid's and highs with the Maggies but I would be willing to sacrifice that a bit if I had a speaker that slammed a lot harder in the upper/mid bass while still sounding "alive".

Once I sell off everything and have just my system going again I will get some Maggies again and try them. This should be a couple of weeks.
post #719 of 1141
MK, goodness man you sure do like trying out new things. Lord knows I would too if I had the opportunity. I had a couple quick questions about the eD's you're using. First, where are you crossing them over to your subs? Second, do you have them positioned to where they are receiving any boundary reinforcement? If I purchase a set I won't be able to position to receive much boundary reinforcement and I'll need to cross them over at 80hz at the highest. Thanks.
post #720 of 1141
Thread Starter 
I have crossed over all my speakers at 80hz as I use the THX ultra 2 mode for movies. They are about 20 inches from the wall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Shootout!!