or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!! - Page 3

post #61 of 863
Any updates on this build??
post #62 of 863
Thread Starter 
sho nuff! Boxes are painted and I scooped up some polyfill last night and plan to have them stuffed and completed tonight. I keep documenting the process but my internet has been down at home from a very terrible modem/router but i should hopefully be up and running again tonight and ill post some pics if I have time after I get them built.

So far they have turned out to my liking, most important is the sound obviously but the boxes look great with the flat black finish on them and after sanding down, are pretty sleek and should blend right in once mounted higher on the wall.

Im still interested in that crossover for the DE220ti if anyone wants to lend a hand there.

Got one quick question too: 8 oz. of polyfill is suggested for a .5 cuft enclosure right? even at that amount of stuffing, it seems a little too tight to me. If the polyfill shouldnt touch the crossover, then it is super tight, if thats not the case, then theres not as much of a problem... should I even use polyfill in the first place?
post #63 of 863
I'm going to have this thread closed if we don't have photos tonight!
post #64 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I'm going to have this thread closed if we don't have photos tonight!

haha, im tryin im tryin!!! Seriously my modem has been terrible, I just got the replacement last night. I was getting whopping .66mb download hardwired to the modem and still losing 1/4 packets on a ping test. ITS CRAP!!!

Ill be up and running tonight, would you rather me post pics or complete the build tho? haha
post #65 of 863
motorola modem and linksys router.

you will NEVER have issues.
post #66 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

motorola modem and linksys router.

you will NEVER have issues.

well ive got the two in one motorola surfboard. went from 12mb down, to 5 to .5 in less than 4 months. WITH packet loss
post #67 of 863
We don't want the labor pains, just the baby(pics)....
post #68 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

We don't want the labor pains, just the baby(pics)....

haha actually, ive got the flat pack pic, assembled pic, sanded pic, and painted pic. next one should be the 4th trimester pic. yea I did that on purpose
post #69 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

motorola modem and linksys router.

you will NEVER have issues.

Really....

Glad you've had good experiences, I've had problems with both.

Though I just diagnosed another bad one, I still run a Moto modem, but I will NEVER run a Linksys anything again.

Come on Beast - make with the pics....
post #70 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Really....

Glad you've had good experiences, I've had problems with both.

Though I just diagnosed another bad one, I still run a Moto modem, but I will NEVER run a Linksys anything again.

Come on Beast - make with the pics....

alright alright JEEZ!!! Assuming the new modem works as it should and its not charter cable Co. thing, ill be all set to upload some tonight.
post #71 of 863
I hope your modem/router works......

post #72 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

motorola modem and linksys router.

you will NEVER have issues.

Had a couple of the Motorola ones fail on me over the last few years. I just had a TWC tech out last week. Gave me the cisco modem, I have much lower ping with the Cisco vs the the Motorola.
post #73 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I hope your modem/router works......


so this is exactly how I felt after two hours of tech support between Moto and Charter Communications. Only to discover, the new modem is having the same problems i.e. not the modem's fault in the first place. They need a more angry face than that...

The good news is, in my frustration I snapped a a few more pics of the boxes and finished them all last night! I ended up using a little less than 8 oz of poly per box and just really stuffed it in there, I left a little breathing room in the center of the crossovers and behind the speaker but not much.

I briefly plugged them in from my wires going to the mains and bypassed audyssey to listen to them flat and I can definitely tell there is a compression driver in there! They are pretty bright! obviously this was just a quick plugin, but while they sounded good and clean, with a decent amount of punch, the top-end I feel definitely needs to be brought down a shade, with audyssey this will be just fine i think. Would the DE220ti be a little smoother?
post #74 of 863
Oh man sorry about your Internet issues.......(lights torch).
post #75 of 863
So you did find a xo? I'm confused. Or were you running it wide open?

I personally wouldn't want to rely on audessey to correct that, but you may find that works ok.
post #76 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

....... Would the DE220ti be a little smoother?


my mains currently run the 220ti, and i find them a tad bright. but again, i have nothing to compare to except for an old pair of Klipsch Cornwalls.
post #77 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

So you did find a xo? I'm confused. Or were you running it wide open?

I personally wouldn't want to rely on audessey to correct that, but you may find that works ok.

He's using the APT-50 with the Beta coax currently, so he's got the Eminence crossover to do that.

What's been suggested is swapping in the Selenium D220ti as an improvement, which would require a new crossover.
post #78 of 863
Ah, now I got it. Thanks.
post #79 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

So you did find a xo? I'm confused. Or were you running it wide open?

I personally wouldn't want to rely on audessey to correct that, but you may find that works ok.

haha no no, I had a stock crossover built specifically by PE to cross the emminence to the apt-50, but the cross is at 3500hz, getting that much out of the 10" mid is quite challenging. It also probably doesnt compensate for BSC. I really think with a CD that is slightly more laid back, and a lower xover point these things could be gold

either that or an easy way to attenuate the tweet a bit for BSC and they could still be killer. let us not forget they havent been eq'd in the least yet, im kinda jumping the gun on my impressions. They look pretty darn good to me though
post #80 of 863
Thread Starter 
So guys, thinking maybe putting an L-pad inline with the selenium option... since no one can help with the crossover idea, and I dont know how to build one myself, i can get the emminence xover that will cross at 1600hz and then let the d220 take over from there. With the L-pad inline, I could then attenuate the CD accordingly... good idea?

Internet is back up and running like gold, so PICS TONIGHT!!!!
post #81 of 863
You could just use the XO design that Zilch designed in the following thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...r-cabinet.html
post #82 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

You could just use the XO design that Zilch designed in the following thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...r-cabinet.html

yea ive read that thread through, but I have no tools or expertise to assemble that design, therein lies the problem
post #83 of 863
Ok. What the heck do you have on there right now. Just a low pass on the woofer then? I am totally not understanding what you've done.

I'll help you with the cross over. Just post the schematic and I'll walk you through it. If not, you can go ahead and add the L-pad. I'd want some high pass on the CD as well though. (If I've understood and there is not one). Do you have some resistors kicking around? Just add 2 ohms in series with the CD and see what that does.
post #84 of 863
Thread Starter 
haha, no right now ive got the emminence crossover that mates the apt-50 to the 10" but that crosses over at 3.5k and with the selenium instead of the apt-50, id like to drop the xover down to 1.6 or 2k xover point as this should improve response a good bit. The 10" i imagine when I run a sweep will show it will have trouble getting to 3.5k on its own.

There is an emminence xover that will give me the 1.6khz crossover, so I could use that and just simply add the L-pad if needed. here is the PE link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=290-634
post #85 of 863
Here is the diagram for the one that Zilch designed. I'm sure that someone local should be able to make one up for you. Heck even I would make you a pair and ship them to you!

I have no doubts that after using several Ewave XO's myself that this XO will be much better than a generic XO from Eminence.
LL
post #86 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Here is the diagram for the one that Zilch designed. I'm sure that someone local should be able to make one up for you. Heck even I would make you a pair and ship them to you!

I have no doubts that after using several Ewave XO's myself that this XO will be much better than a generic XO from Eminence.

Thanks for the offer! What would the total cost be for the crossover? (including your time or what type of local shop builds this type of thing?

I want to measure these how they are as this is a budget build and right now the setup is as budget as you can get but in the long run, a little more dough could really get you some killer custom surrounds. I also want to measure the performance benefits of what ive got versus the d220 and xover upgrade...
post #87 of 863
Thread Starter 
that ewave crossover also shows an L-pad in line with it, didnt catch that at first.
post #88 of 863
come on beast, bring your laptop to a starbucks and upload some pics.

post #89 of 863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

come on beast, bring your laptop to a starbucks and upload some pics.


haha, never once been to starbucks, love coffee, but gives me a headache everytime. plenty of wifi areas around but its all good, ive just been building instead of surfing
post #90 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

haha, no right now ive got the emminence crossover that mates the apt-50 to the 10" but that crosses over at 3.5k and with the selenium instead of the apt-50, id like to drop the xover down to 1.6 or 2k xover point as this should improve response a good bit. The 10" i imagine when I run a sweep will show it will have trouble getting to 3.5k on its own.

There is an emminence xover that will give me the 1.6khz crossover, so I could use that and just simply add the L-pad if needed. here is the PE link.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=290-634

You could install this version of that crossover. It includes a faceplate and an l-pad.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...Number=290-620
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!!