or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

It might be interesting to calibrate the floor models and let the customer make a more informed purchase decision... If better service and product knowledge is supposed to be an advantage of a smaller store, this would be an obvious place to start adding some of that value. If all sets are properly calibrated, the more expensive sets should still draw the customer to them. Doing this might also generate more business for the employees that do the calibrations - you could put a few TV's out on the floor that aren't calibrated so the customer can do a side by side comparison.

Good thoughts but implementation would be difficult and expensive. High end video installers have individual rooms to show off projectors but the closest an average consumer can get to seeing a TV the way it should be seen is in something like a BB Magnolia Home Theater section and although the lights are off, they are still full of other displays creating luminance, reflections, and motion distractions. Calibration is known to less than 1% of the television buying customers and it is not something that can be shoved down their throats.
post #242 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Though unlikely, perhaps the other TVs are skewed towards Magenta. This also would make the LV set appear greener. The human eye is fooled all the time by nearby contrasting colors.

Have you checked connections? A loose component or HDMI cable can cause the same color problem.

The LV is known to have a wider color gamut than other TVs, and the only direction to go wider is towards green.

Perhaps this is why you can't set it correctly. I would reset the TV and leave the tech stuff to the techs if I were you.

Good call buddy!!!

I figured that is was more associated to my brain interpreting the colors that way because everything else is typically very saturated and/or bright in the showroom.

As far as the calibration is concerned, you are right, I do "leave it to the techs" the last time I even touched calibration hardware/software was back in the days of Tweeter and the newest set at the time was a PRO-141FD so it definitely has been a while...
post #243 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Good thoughts but implementation would be difficult and expensive. High end video installers have individual rooms to show off projectors but the closest an average consumer can get to seeing a TV the way it should be seen is in something like a BB Magnolia Home Theater section and although the lights are off, they are still full of other displays creating luminance, reflections, and motion distractions. Calibration is known to less than 1% of the television buying customers and it is not something that can be shoved down their throats.

Agreed Buzz..

In my days at TWEETER where I had my guys push the service, 2 out of 5 people were unsatisfied with the results because the calibrated image wasn't like torch mode
post #244 of 733
Unit arrived on time today. shipped by Pilot Freight. Box was in good condition. TV Fired right up. Been on now for 2 hrs.
post #245 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If I lived in an area that didn't have a dealer that carried the LaserVue and was interested in buying one, I'd rather have a big box store that carried it instead of having to drive several hundred miles (or more) to go see one. Besides, some of the big box stores (such as Best Buy) aren't exactly known for offering the best prices anyway, so the car analogy doesn't really work .

+1 -that's where I am, and this is exactly right!

It's also worth mentioning that Sharp apparently has no qualms about selling their (very expensive, #1) Elite at Best Buy/Magnolia. And I expect they've sold a lot of them there. So the idea that someone would not want to buy a top of the line TV from a "big box guy" seems unfounded. The supply concern seems more plausible. But isn't that just part of being in this business?
post #246 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMarkFitzGeraldx View Post

Good call buddy!!!

I figured that is was more associated to my brain interpreting the colors that way because everything else is typically very saturated and/or bright in the showroom.

As far as the calibration is concerned, you are right, I do "leave it to the techs" the last time I even touched calibration hardware/software was back in the days of Tweeter and the newest set at the time was a PRO-141FD so it definitely has been a while...

I re-read my post, and I think it might have come off a little too haughty at the end. Thanks for taking it in stride.
post #247 of 733
Keep in mind, Mitsubishi may not be people that decide which specific models are carried by a company as big and powerful as Best Buys. Mitsubishi may be able to push smaller companies to carry something they do not want to or to prohibit companies from carrying a high end model. However would be harder to push a big company or limit a big company like Best Buy. If Best Buy really wants the LaserVue, it is most likely Mitsubishi would allow them to have it. Big retailers work like that all of the time. Wal-Mart is famous for doing that to their suppliers.

Also it be Best Buys that would set the floor-planning of stock in each individual store. They adjust the stock according to their market research of the local selling territory. That again is outside of the manufacturer as well.
post #248 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Keep in mind, Mitsubishi may not be people that decide which specific models are carried by a company as big and powerful as Best Buys. Mitsubishi may be able to push smaller companies to carry something they do not want to or to prohibit companies from carrying a high end model. However would be harder to push a big company or limit a big company like Best Buy...

...Also it be Best Buys that would set the floor-planning of stock in each individual store. They adjust the stock according to their market research of the local selling territory. That again is outside of the manufacturer as well.

All valid points, I believe. In conversations with sales people at Best Buy when the 82 inch DLP first came out, it became clear that BB was going more in the direction of inventory and space saving flat panels, even though they continued for a bit to carry some DLPs. DLPs could be ordered through them (sight unseen!), and after awhile even the few floor models disappeared.

It's a shame because the 75 inch Laservue is a great set, this coming from one who was not thrilled with earlier iterations of Laservue.
post #249 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Keep in mind, Mitsubishi may not be people that decide which specific models are carried by a company as big and powerful as Best Buys. Mitsubishi may be able to push smaller companies to carry something they do not want to or to prohibit companies from carrying a high end model. However would be harder to push a big company or limit a big company like Best Buy. If Best Buy really wants the LaserVue, it is most likely Mitsubishi would allow them to have it. Big retailers work like that all of the time. Wal-Mart is famous for doing that to their suppliers.

Also it be Best Buys that would set the floor-planning of stock in each individual store. They adjust the stock according to their market research of the local selling territory. That again is outside of the manufacturer as well.

If this is true, then it sort of begs the question, what is it about the Laservue that is keeping Best Buy away from it, but not Mits other bulb-based DLPs, or Sharps Elite? The obvious answer is cost, but then the Elite is even more expensive and has a smaller screen. Is it because it's not a flat panel and can't be wall mounted? Maybe at the high end that's an important factor. I don't know. Still think Mits would do well to give hhgreg or BB/Magnolia a shot. Who knows, they might actually sell some if people could see it!
post #250 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

If this is true, then it sort of begs the question, what is it about the Laservue that is keeping Best Buy away from it, but not Mits other bulb-based DLPs, or Sharps Elite? ...

I don't see any DLPs at my local BBs. I had to go to Paul's TV, where a number of industry people here in LA have bought Laservues.

With BB I really believe they would rather carry thin flat panels, saving considerable space, than bulky DLP boxes.

But the Laservue is clearly better than many flat panels that are nevertheless in great profusion at BB and other vendors, so it isn't just about quality. Sometimes it's the vendor leading the consumer, rather than the other way around.
post #251 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I don't see any DLPs at my local BBs. I had to go to Paul's TV, where a number of industry people here in LA have bought Laservues.

With BB I really believe they would rather carry thin flat panels, saving considerable space, than bulky DLP boxes.

But the Laservue is clearly better than many flat panels that are nevertheless in great profusion at BB and other vendors, so it isn't just about quality. Sometimes it's the vendor leading the consumer, rather than the other way around.

That is very true in the Omaha area, only around Christmas can you find high end models TVs in stock around here and the rest of the year unless you go to one of the small vendors sales folks act as though you're from mars when you ask for Something. I've been trying to get a look at a LV for a long time now, but know one seems to know what it is, even the Mits distributor here.
post #252 of 733
Last year in August I drove 400 miles round trip to see an A91 - on a Sunday no less. `
post #253 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Last year in August I drove 400 miles round trip to see an A91 - on a Sunday no less. `

we just got our first snow, so there goes long rode trips... I need to move back to FL.. lol
you're right Buzz I may have to take a short vacation to see one.
post #254 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I don't see any DLPs at my local BBs. I had to go to Paul's TV, where a number of industry people here in LA have bought Laservues.
.

BB shows them on their website, but I called my local store and you're right, they don't keep them in stock. It's a special order item. I don't think it was that way a few years ago.

I'm starting to understand now why some people think rptvs are on their way out. With their store presence fading away, it would be easy to get that impression. On the other hand, I've read that Amazons TV sales have really taken off. So maybe Mits is actually ahead of the curve, and see internet sales as the way of the future (and big-box stores becoming a thing of the past?). Who knows. Looks like interesting times ahead.
post #255 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

If this is true, then it sort of begs the question, what is it about the Laservue that is keeping Best Buy away from it, but not Mits other bulb-based DLPs, or Sharps Elite? The obvious answer is cost, but then the Elite is even more expensive and has a smaller screen. Is it because it's not a flat panel and can't be wall mounted? Maybe at the high end that's an important factor. I don't know. Still think Mits would do well to give hhgreg or BB/Magnolia a shot. Who knows, they might actually sell some if people could see it!

Mitsubishi announced when the first gen LaserVues were coming out that they would only carry them in "Specialty" electronics stores. Looks like they are sticking with that plan.
post #256 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Spammer. I reported him.

I thought as much.

With regard to your response on viewing distance, you're right. The WD73840 I have now (about the same size) is just fine at my seating distance. I really like the size. I do notice a drop off in PQ though when sitting at the end positions (about 25° off center). It's not bad, but you can definitely tell. Sounds like the LV would not have this. Question is whether that, along with it's other benefits (better ambient light performance, no bulb to replace) is worth spending twice as much. Not so sure given how good the 840's picture is when sitting at the "sweet spot" in a dark room. I have until Jan 10 to return this unit, which gives me a month or so to think about it. Decisions, decisions.
post #257 of 733
Hi all,

New to this forum but am very interested in the A94. I read on some sites that due to the DMD chip, the contrast is inherently limited on Mitt sets including the A94 than that on led/plasma sets.

Is this true?
post #258 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

If this is true, then it sort of begs the question, what is it about the Laservue that is keeping Best Buy away from it, but not Mits other bulb-based DLPs, or Sharps Elite? The obvious answer is cost, but then the Elite is even more expensive and has a smaller screen. Is it because it's not a flat panel and can't be wall mounted? Maybe at the high end that's an important factor. I don't know. Still think Mits would do well to give hhgreg or BB/Magnolia a shot. Who knows, they might actually sell some if people could see it!

I bought my 82837 from a Magnolia Store where they had were showing the 82" sets in the Magnolia section. They had the lamp sets on display all the way until the 2011 model year sets were due to ship.

I have never seen a LaserVue of any generation in a BestBuy or Magnolia. While there are many here that think the current LaserVue is compelling I don't believe BestBuy feels that way. They look at the MSRP and just don't get it. The Elite is a showpiece and it sells a lot of lesser Sharps. People who look at a $6k MSRP LaserVue are not going to say hmmmn... that is great looking TV but too much money, maybe I will take an 82840 instead. There is no upsell or downsell potential via the LaserVue because Best Buy does not want to store and display DLP Lamps sets anymore. If the LaserVue was MSRP $2995 and the WD-92840 was similarly priced Best Buy would be much more likely to have them.
post #259 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn2008 View Post

Hi all,

New to this forum but am very interested in the A94. I read on some sites that due to the DMD chip, the contrast is inherently limited on Mitt sets including the A94 than that on led/plasma sets.

Is this true?

A94 on/off contrast is second only to the Elite LCD.

Simultaneous contrast is relatively not as good due to light inside the box.

Real world viewing of high contrast scenes is excellent.
post #260 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I bought my 82837 from a Magnolia Store where they had were showing the 82" sets in the Magnolia section. They had the lamp sets on display all the way until the 2011 model year sets were due to ship.

I have never seen a LaserVue of any generation in a BestBuy or Magnolia. While there are many here that think the current LaserVue is compelling I don't believe BestBuy feels that way. They look at the MSRP and just don't get it. The Elite is a showpiece and it sells a lot of lesser Sharps. People who look at a $6k MSRP LaserVue are not going to say hmmmn... that is great looking TV but too much money, maybe I will take an 82840 instead. There is no upsell or downsell potential via the LaserVue because Best Buy does not want to store and display DLP Lamps sets anymore. If the LaserVue was MSRP $2995 and the WD-92840 was similarly priced Best Buy would be much more likely to have them.

I would think the down-sell might go to any flat panel of similar size, not necessary another Sharp (eg. Sony 929). Granted, if someone specifically wants a 70", Sharp is the only choice. But I expect that will change.

Your comment on the Laservue got me wondering what it really cost Mits to make it. Given that the 73840 list for only $2600, does the cost of the laser light source (the LV's main cost difference) really justify the $6k price tag? Could it be a $3k TV?
post #261 of 733
With CES just around the corner, will Mitsubishi likely be showing off any new sets (including the LV)? Curious what the next LV iteration might bring, given how good the current model appears to be.
post #262 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

I would think the down-sell might go to any flat panel of similar size, not necessary another Sharp (eg. Sony 929). Granted, if someone specifically wants a 70", Sharp is the only choice. But I expect that will change.

Your comment on the Laservue got me wondering what it really cost Mits to make it. Given that the 73840 list for only $2600, does the cost of the laser light source (the LV's main cost difference) really justify the $6k price tag? Could it be a $3k TV?

The TV is widely available in the $4300 range... so it is discounted pretty heavily. Even if BestBuy/Magnolia had it how many would pay the asking MSRP at BB when it can be had for thousands less?

I too have wonder about the need to price it so high. Clearly, there are not as many shared components between the LaserVue and the lamps sets as there are between various models of the lamp sets. The cabinent costs are probably slightly more expensive on the laser.. Production numbers are very low obviously so that builds in cost. I too am interested to see if Mits can broaden the LaserVue line with more larger models and get the MSRP beyond the insane point. They also need to produce consistently high quality geometry.
post #263 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

With CES just around the corner, will Mitsubishi likely be showing off any new sets (including the LV)? Curious what the next LV iteration might bring, given how good the current model appears to be.

Mits rarely has new sets at January's CES. Reveal their new sets in So. California in May at their own dedicated show.
post #264 of 733
Hello, I've been reading this thread for years and have followed the advice, made decisions, and set up systems based on all the expertise contained in these posts. I have been searching for a few weeks lately for some answers to some specific questions but have seen some conflicting answers. I would appreciate some insight and help with the following:

Current Set Up:

1. I have AT&T Service and the Motorola VIP 1216 DVR.
2. A Samsung BD-D6500 Blu Ray Player.
3. A Mits L75-A91.
4. A Sony DG920 AV Receiver.
5. I have all HDMI from these sources, going to the AVR, then a single HDMI to the TV. *See Note Below.
6. I'm looking for a Denon 1912 - 2312, or higher depending on the answers to my questions:

A. Do I need HDMI Video Up conversion/Scaling built into my AVR or will the Mits 5G Plush 1080P video processor take care of any HDMI signals and up convert them?

B. If I don't get an AVR with HDMI to HDMI Video Upscaling, should I run HDMI or component to the AVR (or TV) for any added benefit?

C. NOTE: I recently compared Component and HDMI from the AT&T DVR to the AVR and Component seems to look better to me. I thought that might be because the AVR is up converting the signal and passing it to the TV; and that when running HDMI from the DVR to the AVR, then to the TV, the signal is not being processed (unconverted or scaled) by any of my equipment. So I've left the component connected and used optical audio for the sound.

D. So, I guess what I am looking for is whether I need to spend money on an AVR with HDMI to HDMI video conversion, or let the TV do the work. But, in order for the TV to do this, do I need to change my connection schema.

E. Please forgive me if this thread is the wrong place to post. I figured someone would understand the L75-A91 Video Processing (Plush 5G) technical details.
post #265 of 733
^
Yes get an HDMI switching AVR. One with HDMI 1.4 will pass 3d since your display is 3d capable.

The component may have looked better because of their individual settings but the HDMI should provide a better picture than component if both were calibrated. So use HDMI to connect sources to the AVR and an HDMI from the AVR to the display

Get a high def calibration disc.
post #266 of 733
^ Thank you for the feedback. I've used the Monster ISF calibration disk but it's not a Blue-Ray disk. I'm going to have everything professionally calibrated but wanted to get the right AVR before I had the tech come in.

Maybe I need to add some more details regarding my situation.

One of the reasons I was asking was that when I use HDMI from the ATT DVR, the signal is 1080i. My current AVR doesn't "up convert" the signal to 1080P when using HDMI but it does up convert a component signal to 1080P. (Of course it's not 3D capable so that's another reason I am upgrading.) Some of the more expensive AVR's have the capability to up convert HDMI inputs and advertise higher end video processors.

Also, In the L75-A91 Mits users manual on page 18 it states that for the best picture quality, run all video sources directly to the TV and run the audio to the AVR. I figured this might be because the mits now up converts component and analog signals to 1080P? But I can't find out if the hits up converts signals it receives via its HDMI inputs.

I guess to sum all this up, I want to make sure my ATT signal gets up-converted to a quality 1080P signal by something and I think my choices are:

1. Running component to an AVR and using the AVR to up convert the signal (this is for AVR's that do NOT up convert HDMI inputs).

2. Running HDMI through the AVR and HDMI to the TV where the (TV up converts the signal to 1080P - if it does indeed do this?)

3. Buying an AVR with HDMI input up conversion and good video processing. That way it's all HDMI and all signals are 1080P on the display.
post #267 of 733
The TV converts any and every compatible incoming signal that is not already 1080p / 60Hz to 1080p / 60Hs. This is because the TV displays at only one rate, 1080p / 60Hz.

If you send 1080i into the TV, it de-interlaces that to 1080p. If you send 720p into the TV it upconverts that to 1080p. If you send 480p into the TV, it upconverts that to 1080p. If you send 480i, it de-interlaces that to 480p and then upconverts that to 1080p. If you send 1080p 30Hz into the TV it doubles that to 1080p 60Hz. If you send 1080p 24Hz (fps) it uses 3:2 pull down to convert that to 1080p 60HZ.

If you send 1080p 60Hz into the TV, the TV does not covert or change that. So you real question is where is the best place for your ATT box's signal to be converted from 1080i to 1080p? That will depend on where the best conversion circuits are. However LaserVue has rather good conversion circuits, it is might still be possible to have more expensive and better conversion circuits elsewhere. How much visible difference and whether it is cost effective would still remain a question that only trying could answer.
post #268 of 733
Per the both UMR and Buzz the A-91 only made 21 ft lambers when calibrated. That is a very low light output, probably half-what the 80 Sharp puts out. Anyone have a max white number on the A-94 calibrated?
post #269 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Per the both UMR and Buzz the A-91 only made 21 ft lambers when calibrated. That is a very low light output, probably half-what the 80 Sharp puts out. Anyone have a max white number on the A-94 calibrated?

30+ fL in the ADV modes. If you want to go to the brighter modes and adjust the color decoder the total light output will be quite high. I'll take some measurements for reference but personally would not want to watch anything (except for maybe 3D) that is not calibrated in the ADV modes.
post #270 of 733
I received a call from Mitsubishi this afternoon concerning the problem with the improperly and non working 2p grayscale controls. Apparently they weren't aware of the problem until I reported it and a fix is in the works. I was told to expect a "software" update in two or three more days. We'll see. Once the FW is introduced and fixes the problem a full calibration will be possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread