or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - Page 15

post #421 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSKILZ View Post

Film, I can give you my own experience & opinion about the Tv in regards to blks. I'm no professional calibrator & don't use any pro equipment. But I can tell you that to me when testing out my TV using 3D recorded content from DirecTV, there was a program in 3D about a future space civilization & in the scene where it shows a blk universe w/ earth in the far background distance, it looked pitch black to me.

Dark & blk scenes in normal 2D DirecTV viewing look good to me.

Thanks! I'm trying to find reviews on these things but all of the ones I see are from the older 90 & 91 models. I've been debating between saving up for a 65" VT30 but the price on this one seems too good to pass up.
post #422 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

Thanks! I'm trying to find reviews on these things but all of the ones I see are from the older 90 & 91 models. I've been debating between saving up for a 65" VT30 but the price on this one seems too good to pass up.

buzzard767, who is a professional calibrator, did a partial review of his new L75-A94 a couple of months ago on this thread. He reported that black levels were excellent, second only to the Kuro in his opinion. You should be able to find some posts on this issue if you look back in the thread. And you could do a search for black levels. $2000 sounds like an awfully good price for this TV.
post #423 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

Thanks! I'm trying to find reviews on these things but all of the ones I see are from the older 90 & 91 models. I've been debating between saving up for a 65" VT30 but the price on this one seems too good to pass up.

The A94 has received very little attention as everyone seems more interest in LCD and Plasma now that those two formats have attained larger sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

buzzard767, who is a professional calibrator, did a partial review of his new L75-A94 a couple of months ago on this thread. He reported that black levels were excellent, second only to the Kuro in his opinion. You should be able to find some posts on this issue if you look back in the thread. And you could do a search for black levels. $2000 sounds like an awfully good price for this TV.

Black levels are measured two ways:
On/Off, or Sequential - This is a black pattern that covers the entire screen
Simultaneous - This is a checkerboard pattern containing both black and white squares

A94 sequential black measures .003 foot Lamberts which is a tad better than the VT30 but a long way from the .001 fL reached by the older Kuros and the new Sharp Elite. Simultaneous contrast is a different story because a DLP trait is that the white area reflects light and it affects the black areas. In short, the VT30 looks better when viewing content.
post #424 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

I've found a place in town that is selling an open box L75-A94 for $2,000 pre-tax. I'm going to be moving from a Panasonic 50" VT-25. The plastic around the four corners of the frame are still on the A94. I tried to do some tweaking in store to see how I nice I could get the image. They initially had it on Super Brilliant. I tried 3D with a SBS demo and my Panasonic 3D glasses. I also threw up an overscan image and it looks like the TV's got just under 5% (maybe 3-3 1/2). And then I did a 1080p trailer of Super 8.

A) Am I crazy to NOT get this TV?

B) I'm scared about coming from plasma over to the LaserVue in reference to deep blacks. Since there was so much light, I was having trouble discerning how dark this screen can get. Will I be satisfied in low/no light?

C) Should I be concerned getting one of these out of warranty? I was there a few weeks ago when the TV was priced at $2,500. I can't see any visible flaws at all. They've told me that they just can't move this TV and I'm afraid at this price that someone else will snatch it from me.

I do plan to get it calibrated in a couple of months (buying this will literally wipe me out in the short term) and the guy at the store said they have a 5 month warranty with TVs over $1,000 and then I could buy an extended one through one of their 3rd party friends (at half price).

Also, anything else I should check out before I commit?

When you say "a place in town" are you talking about a retailer? If so, why would the set be out of factory warranty.

If you do buy it, I'll be in your area sometime in the latter part of May as my daughter lives in Eagan.
post #425 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

When you say "a place in town" are you talking about a retailer? If so, why would the set be out of factory warranty.

If you do buy it, I'll be in your area sometime in the latter part of May as my daughter lives in Eagan.


It was not a retailer. It's a shady looking company called Open Box TVs that is in St. Louis Park. They are offering me a 6 month warranty. They also have a 3rd party service for repair for half their normal $350 (so 175) as long as I purchase it within the next six months. Honestly, I'm a little nervous that I bought it from this place but the TV only has 274 hours on it so far and all the plastic was still around the frame and on the back of the LASERVUE name.

The only retailer I could find in the area was the Pay As You Go store Better Choice and they only had 73" 740's for $2,300 if you paid in full.

AND Yes, I would love a visit from you in late May. Just PM me details or send me a link.
post #426 of 733
Can someone help me out on two folds?

First, I need to update the firmware. It's only at 13.01. I've tried connecting it to the Internet and shutting it down. Once for 30 minutes like the menu said; another for 90. Nothing happened. I've tried using a FAT-32 drive and turning off the TV, unplugging it, putting in the USB and turning back only but it only boots to the picture menu and says I don't have any pictures.

Second, the image on this needs to be re-centered. I try to use 2-4-7-0 and then MENU quickly but nothing pops up unless I already have the MENU open and then I see text flash and then it immediately goes away. Not sure what I should be doing. Also, is there anything I can do to work with decreasing overscan?

Thanks, Everyone!
post #427 of 733
HUGE issue: the image looks HORRIBLE (fuzzy/hazel/gel-like/SD quality) unless I have the Sharpness to around 30 and Edge Enhancement turned on. I know this isn't just my plasma eyes complaining (I previously had a Sony 60-A2000 from 2007-2010). I can't for the life of me figure out what would be causing this.


Software was updated to 13.02 and then 13.03 after a few hours of waiting with the TV off.

I found the service menu after finding the right key combo. Got the Horizontal and Vertical image centered, but there's some significant geometry issues. The top horizontal image slowly goes up from left to right. The bottom left is way too low, goes up, levels off, goes back down and then levels off again. Should I fix this? How do I fix this? I've tried moving the arrows but I'm not sure how everything works since the lines seem to stay even though the image is being shifted when I back out. I can't find any guides/how to's online either.


3D Stuff
Also, are low-res menus on 3D normal? Everything looks extremely pixelated with my Panasonic BDT-300 or PS3 when I have 3D turned on. Is there a certain distance/height I should be from the TV when watching 3D? I seem to be getting a bit of crosstalk. I'm using the newer Panasonic 3D glasses with this. I realized that I have motion blur and film judder on so I turned those down to 0 but it didn't completely eliminate what I've been seeing (testing out Coraline and Despicable Me as well as WipEout HD on the PS3).

To end on a positive note, yellow seems to stand out a lot more than I've ever noticed before. It's not a bad thing but very vibrant (I'm using mostly cinema mode slightly tweaked)
post #428 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

HUGE issue: the image looks HORRIBLE (fuzzy/hazel/gel-like/SD quality) unless I have the Sharpness to around 30 and Edge Enhancement turned on. I know this isn't just my plasma eyes complaining (I previously had a Sony 60-A2000 from 2007-2010). I can't for the life of me figure out what would be causing this.

Software was updated to 13.02 and then 13.03 after a few hours of waiting with the TV off.

I found the service menu after finding the right key combo. Got the Horizontal and Vertical image centered, but there's some significant geometry issues. The top horizontal image slowly goes up from left to right. The bottom left is way too low, goes up, levels off, goes back down and then levels off again. Should I fix this? How do I fix this? I've tried moving the arrows but I'm not sure how everything works since the lines seem to stay even though the image is being shifted when I back out. I can't find any guides/how to's online either.

3D Stuff
Also, are low-res menus on 3D normal? Everything looks extremely pixelated with my Panasonic BDT-300 or PS3 when I have 3D turned on. Is there a certain distance/height I should be from the TV when watching 3D? I seem to be getting a bit of crosstalk. I'm using the newer Panasonic 3D glasses with this. I realized that I have motion blur and film judder on so I turned those down to 0 but it didn't completely eliminate what I've been seeing (testing out Coraline and Despicable Me as well as WipEout HD on the PS3).

To end on a positive note, yellow seems to stand out a lot more than I've ever noticed before. It's not a bad thing but very vibrant (I'm using mostly cinema mode slightly tweaked)

Did you try turning 3d mode off when watching 2d?

3d stuff I turn motion blur and film judder up to 10 sometimes, especially for animated movies. But I am using monster vision rf emitter and glasses with ps3. I get 0 crosstalk.
post #429 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

Did you try turning 3d mode off when watching 2d?

3d stuff I turn motion blur and film judder up to 10 sometimes, especially for animated movies. But I am using monster vision rf emitter and glasses with ps3. I get 0 crosstalk.


3D is not on when I watch 2D. Turning up/on the motion blur and film judder made everything worse in 3D for me so I turned it off.

UPDATE:

I also noticed you saw the same thing I did (on page 13) in reference to edge enhancement and the Sharpness setting. Have you found a way to work around this and get an in focus image without using Sharpness or Edge Enhancement?
post #430 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post


3D is not on when I watch 2D. Turning up/on the motion blur and film judder made everything worse in 3D for me so I turned it off.

UPDATE:

I also noticed you saw the same thing I did (on page 13) in reference to edge enhancement and the Sharpness setting. Have you found a way to work around this and get an in focus image without using Sharpness or Edge Enhancement?

3d may not be 'on', but setting to checkerboard or some other setting than off can make the picture blurry even if the source is not in 3d (at least with other mits sets, not 100 percent sure about this one). So just to clarify , the tv 3d setting is set to 'off' when you watch 2d?

As far as sharpness, I have only noticed that turning ee off seems to disable the sharpness setting. I have started watching pretty much all material with sharpness at 0. The pq is much better. I do use the denon a100 blu ray player sharpness settings to bump up a little, but the players settings seem to be much more conservative than the tv's settings. The pq is excellent for me.
post #431 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

3d may not be 'on', but setting to checkerboard or some other setting than off can make the picture blurry even if the source is not in 3d (at least with other mits sets, not 100 percent sure about this one). So just to clarify , the tv 3d setting is set to 'off' when you watch 2d?

As far as sharpness, I have only noticed that turning ee off seems to disable the sharpness setting. I have started watching pretty much all material with sharpness at 0. The pq is much better. I do use the denon a100 blu ray player sharpness settings to bump up a little, but the players settings seem to be much more conservative than the tv's settings. The pq is excellent for me.

Reset everything to factory settings just in case. I do not have 3D on. Everything still looks soft/filtered/out of focus/loss of detail unless I have sharpness to at least 30 and Edge Enhancement on.
post #432 of 733
For those of you having issues with the blurring of scrolling images or objects on screen - golf ball, golf swing, basketball - I contacted Mitsubishi and opened a ticket and they told me they are aware of the problem and will update soon. I asked whether or not this would be a firmware update or are they sending someone out; the rep told me he did not know, but would be contacting me about it soon.

This issue does not appear to rear its ugly head on film; but on TV.
post #433 of 733
Filmmaking,

You should use EdgeEnhance when watching anything but film. However, if you look closely, you will notice that edge enhance will make people and objects look super imposed on the screen. When you notice it you might think it looks awful. For programs like ESPN or shows where there are a lot of overlays and text, EdgeEnhance does well. But it is not suitable for movies.

If your issue is actually something a lot worse... what are the lighting conditions in your room?
post #434 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilgore View Post

Filmmaking,

You should use EdgeEnhance when watching anything but film. However, if you look closely, you will notice that edge enhance will make people and objects look super imposed on the screen. When you notice it you might think it looks awful. For programs like ESPN or shows where there are a lot of overlays and text, EdgeEnhance does well. But it is not suitable for movies.

If your issue is actually something a lot worse... what are the lighting conditions in your room?

98% of my viewing are Blu-ray films or Netflix in HD. Then I play a couple video games occasionally. I don't have cable or watch sports at the moment (until the MLB season starts).

I did reach out to Mits tonight and tell them about my issue(s). They're supposed to escalate it and have someone call me back tomorrow.
post #435 of 733
Filmmaking,

Do you have autobrightness on?

Nevermind, I suppose that is not related to your issue.

Is any part of the screen bent/pushed/out of place?
post #436 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilgore View Post

Filmmaking,

Do you have autobrightness on?

Nevermind, I suppose that is not related to your issue.

Is any part of the screen bent/pushed/out of place?

No, screen looks fine. Bottom of the geometry of the TV bows down bad on left and some up on right. Whole picture is 1/4 to 1/2 inch up going across. When the screen is completely black, there's a faint grey spot/light dead center that looks about the size of a softball.
post #437 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilgore View Post

For those of you having issues with the blurring of scrolling images or objects on screen - golf ball, golf swing, basketball - I contacted Mitsubishi and opened a ticket and they told me they are aware of the problem and will update soon. I asked whether or not this would be a firmware update or are they sending someone out; the rep told me he did not know, but would be contacting me about it soon.

This issue does not appear to rear its ugly head on film; but on TV.

I definitely have that motion problem just as you described. Please post whatever resolution you get out of Mits. Thanks.
post #438 of 733
So my new L75-A94 TV arrived last Thursday afternoon, I just got done trying it out for about 2hrs watching DirecTV programming & some 3D recorded programming on it.

1st before I give my early impressions, I want to give a big shout out to Mitsubishi & the delivery company they used AIT Worldwide for the fast & excellent service they provided.

Mits for resolving my issue quickly, hassle free & efficiently. Very impressed by them.
My only negative is that they still don't offer extended warranty on the Laservue's, so I had to pay out of pocket for shipping, but I look @ it like I paid to upgrade to a newer model for pennies compared to paying manufacturing price for the TV itself.

AIT Worldwide for sending quality & friendly delivery guys to my residence & handling my TV w/ care & it arriving in great shape, no damage to the box outside or to TV upon examination. I was nervous about that reading the posts in this thread about horrible delivery stories.

Now unto my early impressions. Love the new contrast screen. yes it's more reflective & in my case it poses a bit of an issue since I have glass closet doors behind my sofa in my living room area so reflection in dark & blk scenes is annoying, but that's easily remedied.
PQ quality is about the same when reviewing DirecTV programming, it's more about the content than the TV.

The real test is when I run a few Blu-Ray movies @ it, I'm sure it'll shine there as my previous L75-A91 did.

3D is still this TV's selling & strong point. 3D is just awesome on the set, hands down hard to beat I think.

Love that this set has HDMI 1.4 as opposed to v1.3 that my old set had. Also built in wireless & better layout of menu features are a definite +.

Overall I loved my old set & that hasn't changed w/ my new A94.
post #439 of 733
After going back to the store where I bought my A94 for and looking at the other one they still had, I'm seeing the same type of fuzziness when turning the Edge Enhancement On and Off. This is also the same for the 82-840 that they had on display. So I guess, my perceived image degradation is most likely how these sets are and I'm semi-suffering from coming from my 50" plasma.

There's still the issue with the geometry being way off. Mits is supposed to call me back to see if they have a solution or if they want to send someone out to look at it.

Until I can get this calibrated, does anyone have setting that I can use to base my tweaking off of? I'm just wondering if the image quality I'm perceiving between my set and the forum pics that everyone posts could be partially remedied with some Adv settings. I know every room/set/calibration is different but I'm just looking for a way to get a decent picture until I get set calibrated sometime in May. I'm mostly watching Blu-rays and playing games on the PS3 early to late in the evening. Usually, I only have one floor lamp on low in the room.

Thanks for the help so far. I've really appreciated everyone who's been troubleshooting with me.
post #440 of 733
post #441 of 733
post #442 of 733
anyone know where i can find a replacement mirror for the laservue?
its the mirroor that is behind the screen
post #443 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by novacainabk View Post

anyone know where i can find a replacement mirror for the laservue?
its the mirroor that is behind the screen

You will most likely have to go through a servicer to order the part.

http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/service

(no need to double-post, all questions will eventually be answered)
post #444 of 733
My L75-A95 came yesterday. Purchased it from Walt's Tv on line $3500. I also got 2 pairs of the 3DG-X103 Xpand glasses. I purchased it without ever seeing it. I have a 4yr old Mitsubishi 73" dlp but, the picture, which I though was great, doesn't compare to the LaserVue. I think it looks better than my 55" back lit Vizio. I don't understand why Mitsubishi doesn't advertiser and why only a hand full of retailers carry them and no one has the LaserVue on display and I live in a Chicago suburb. Any way, I'm impressed with it. I was given a pair of Samsung SSG-2200AR glasses which I was told was compatible. However, they don't work. I can't tell if the glasses are defective or is it possible that they need an external emitter? Anyone know what glasses other than dlp link glasses are compatible and is the emitter necessary for any of them to work? the Xpand glasses work fine.
post #445 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt_L View Post

My L75-A95 came yesterday. Purchased it from Walt's Tv on line $3500. I also got 2 pairs of the 3DG-X103 Xpand glasses. I purchased it without ever seeing it. I have a 4yr old Mitsubishi 73" dlp but, the picture, which I though was great, doesn't compare to the LaserVue. I think it looks better than my 55" back lit Vizio. I don't understand why Mitsubishi doesn't advertiser and why only a hand full of retailers carry them and no one has the LaserVue on display and I live in a Chicago suburb. Any way, I'm impressed with it. I was given a pair of Samsung SSG-2200AR glasses which I was told was compatible. However, they don't work. I can't tell if the glasses are defective or is it possible that they need an external emitter? Anyone know what glasses other than dlp link glasses are compatible and is the emitter necessary for any of them to work? the Xpand glasses work fine.

The Samsung glasses work with older model TVs. Mitsubishi changed the code this model year to better match other TV brands and to help create a standard. You can get an emitter here, http://www.ultimate3dheaven.com/3dtrformisa3.html that works with the Samsung glasses, and may work with the 3DG-X103 glasses. I've heard the X103s were universal, but I'm not aware of the prodedure to sync them to the new emitter.
post #446 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

No, screen looks fine. Bottom of the geometry of the TV bows down bad on left and some up on right. Whole picture is 1/4 to 1/2 inch up going across. When the screen is completely black, there's a faint grey spot/light dead center that looks about the size of a softball.

The reason for the bowing comment is that sometimes the picture will be out of focus if the screen is out of place one way or another. Some people have pushed in gently (with a towel to protect the screen) or pulled out gently with a suction cup, and snapped the screen back into its slot, fixing an out of focus picture.

I've seen the faint gray spot on every DLP I've seen. Consensus is that it is ambient light being reflected back from the interior optics.
post #447 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post


The reason for the bowing comment is that sometimes the picture will be out of focus if the screen is out of place one way or another. Some people have pushed in gently (with a towel to protect the screen) or pulled out gently with a suction cup, and snapped the screen back into its slot, fixing an out of focus picture.

I've seen the faint gray spot on every DLP I've seen. Consensus is that it is ambient light being reflected back from the interior optics.

I figured it must be the optics or something similar. Like I said, not too concerned because it only shows up in very dark scenes. Mitsubishi is sending someone out tomorrow to fix the geometry so that will hopefully be taken care of soon. After having some time with the TV, I've worked a better image out of it. Appears 100% better watching at night with all the lights out. Still trying to figure out how to get a great image out during the day and the early evening with a light on in the room.

Almost all my frustration from a week ago is gone. This set is quickly growing on me. Thanks again for all the help and support.
post #448 of 733
Okay, I think I've worked out the issues I was having with 3D projection. I've been using my Panasonic BDT300 with dual HDMI and running it in "Full HD" mode and leaving the A94 set to Automatic (which the TV says to do if your device is 1.4 compatible) for 3D. This gave a 3D image but any motion at all was creating ghosting/disortion. I've since changed both the player and the LaserVue to Checkerboard and this resolves the issue. I also have to reverse the glasses in the menu to get it to work properly with the newer Panasonic rechargable 3D glasses I have.

I have my PS3 still hooked up to my VT25 in the other room, what do I need to do to get this working on the A94? From what I understand, the PS3 does not support checkerboard output, so I'm not sure what each needs to be set at to get the image to work properly.
post #449 of 733
Thanks for the 3D fix. Were you able to work out anything with the 2D blurring you reported with TV sports (golf ball, etc.)?
post #450 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

Okay, I think I've worked out the issues I was having with 3D projection. I've been using my Panasonic BDT300 with dual HDMI and running it in "Full HD" mode and leaving the A94 set to Automatic (which the TV says to do if your device is 1.4 compatible) for 3D. This gave a 3D image but any motion at all was creating ghosting/disortion. I've since changed both the player and the LaserVue to Checkerboard and this resolves the issue. I also have to reverse the glasses in the menu to get it to work properly with the newer Panasonic rechargable 3D glasses I have.

I have my PS3 still hooked up to my VT25 in the other room, what do I need to do to get this working on the A94? From what I understand, the PS3 does not support checkerboard output, so I'm not sure what each needs to be set at to get the image to work properly.

Automatic should work with the PS3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread