or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
nestor87 -- You have vertical lens shift on the Sony!!! Level your HW30 and use the lens shift to square up the image.

I can understand your overlooking that feature, since your HD80 had a fixed offset.
I know, I'm using it -- but lens shift should be used after the image is squared, correct? It should neither cause nor mitigate keystoning. My issue is that I can't square the image to the wall without tilting the projector up significantly. The result is that I'm using near maximum lens shift because the projected image with no lens shift, when square, is too high.
post #212 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Kutlow. Quit trying to be funny. We are in proper mechanical set up mode and nowhere where one can conclude there is an optical defect.

Walls are not always at a perfect 90 degrees to the ceiling or floor. One must make the surface of the projector lens parallel to the screen surface. Put up a white full screen and zoom the image down to a little smaller than the screen viewing surface and adjust the mount to put up a rectangle that parallels the respective screen edges. Use the lens shift to center the image rectangle as needed. Call me if you have questions.
Hey mark, thanks for the reply. That's just what I did -- this is my third projector -- and the result was fine excepted that the projector is tilted up at a fairly extreme angle now.
post #213 of 3210
I have only 16'' throw distance. Can it fill a 133'' HP 16:9 screen using HW30?

Very close to buy now, just want to make sure the size is correct.
post #214 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post
So I spent a good bit of time with the Sony this weekend. I watched Battle LA with 2D > 3D conversion..
I tried simulated 2D to 3D tonight on a scene in Cast Away and Chicago before watching some real 3D, Shriek 3. I could not see any real depth or 3D effect. I know it was working because without the glasses the pic was doubled. I did get a lot of x-talk that doesn't happen on 3D though. Have others had success or been happy with simulated 3D?
post #215 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyeus View Post
I have only 16'' throw distance. Can it fill a 133'' HP 16:9 screen using HW30?

Very close to buy now, just want to make sure the size is correct.
I hope/think you mean 16'. According to the manual you can fill a 150" screen from 15.2'. So you should have no problem.
post #216 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I tried simulated 2D to 3D tonight on a scene in Cast Away and Chicago before watching some real 3D, Shriek 3. I could not see any real depth or 3D effect. I know it was working because without the glasses the pic was doubled. I did get a lot of x-talk that doesn't happen on 3D though. Have others had success or been happy with simulated 3D?
Did you adjust the depth slider? If you notch it above 1 or 2 you will get extreme ghosting. Also note that some things just doesn't work well, it is a fun feature but nothing compared to a real 3D movie.
post #217 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I hope/think you mean 16'. According to the manual you can fill a 150" screen from 15.2'. So you should have no problem.

Yup, 16' thanks for the quick reply!
post #218 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

I noticed a few people posting in the GA area (Atlanta specifically) you are welcome to drop by for a quicking viewing if you would like if it will help you make a decision, just PM me to setup a time/date.

Kut - You are my hero, I want the exact setup you have I have JBL Pro cinema speakers all the way around for a 9.2 setup, 2 DTS-10's, and 2 custom-built 18" MBM's but I know the Danley stuff would kill it.

Can you check in the menue options on the Sony 30 if it will vertical stretch in 2D and 3D?

Since your in the Atlanta area have you been down to Danley? I have a craving for 2 of their new subs the DBH218LC.
post #219 of 3210
you wont have any problem getting that. i have a 19x19 room and shows a screen image 13 feet wide by 7' 1/2 feet high . very clear all the way around. in 3d conent you will love it!!
post #220 of 3210
2d conversion is neat yes but not as great as the real 3d. the 2d itself is pretty good that i would almost rather watch it that way instead of the converting to 3d. but when watching 3d dcisc, this thing is money.
post #221 of 3210
I gave a 3D demo tonight for a friend that just purchased the HW30. We watched scenes from Avatar, Ultimate Wave Tahiti, Sammy's Adventures, Bolt, Final Destination 4, Rio & Cirque Du Soleil 3D.

he was surprised how bright it was through the glasses, but in all fairness it's a brand new lamp with maximum gain on a 2.8HP screen... it better be bright.
post #222 of 3210
There have been a couple of positive comments about the HW30's black levels in this thread. Being an owner of a still great JVC HD750 (RS20) I enjoy fantastic black levels without a dynamic iris and wouldn't want to take a step back in this respect. So, with the iris set to fixed manual mode what are the black levels on the Sony like? And can anyone say how the native contrast overall compares to an RS20?
post #223 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

There have been a couple of positive comments about the HW30's black levels in this thread. Being an owner of a still great JVC HD750 (RS20) I enjoy fantastic black levels without a dynamic iris and wouldn't want to take a step back in this respect. So, with the iris set to fixed manual mode what are the black levels on the Sony like? And can anyone say how the native contrast overall compares to an RS20?

If you read comments from those who have the HW30 in hand, there is no reason to turn the iris off.
From what everyone has said to this point, the iris operation is flawless and imperceptible.
Ask Zombie what the comparison is in black levels between Sony and JVC.
post #224 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22emmittfan View Post

you wont have any problem getting that. i have a 19x19 room and shows a screen image 13 feet wide by 7' 1/2 feet high . very clear all the way around. in 3d conent you will love it!!

Great the 16' throw and 133" HP is my setup also. I was afraid that it would not work with 3D. I lose some of the HP gain by not having the projector directly in the center, but my current Mits HC6000 lights it up good.
post #225 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

There have been a couple of positive comments about the HW30's black levels in this thread. Being an owner of a still great JVC HD750 (RS20) I enjoy fantastic black levels without a dynamic iris and wouldn't want to take a step back in this respect. So, with the iris set to fixed manual mode what are the black levels on the Sony like? And can anyone say how the native contrast overall compares to an RS20?

I have a friend who has a Sony Qualia and when changing scenes I noticed a "breathing" effect in picture brightness/contrast. I was also concerned and thought I would leave the iris off. While I have't watched much 2D I can say I have never noticed the iris working (except it is on full at start up).
post #226 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I have a friend who has a Sony Qualia and when changing scenes I noticed a "breathing" effect in picture brightness/contrast...

The Q004 does not have a DI.
post #227 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

There have been a couple of positive comments about the HW30's black levels in this thread. Being an owner of a still great JVC HD750 (RS20) I enjoy fantastic black levels without a dynamic iris and wouldn't want to take a step back in this respect. So, with the iris set to fixed manual mode what are the black levels on the Sony like? And can anyone say how the native contrast overall compares to an RS20?

Jules - i've always been apprehensive with dynamic iris because I've seen the 'pumping' action between bright/dark scenes with other projectors.

With the iris on the default setting on the HW30, I can't detect it working and it works quite well. I can't comment on the RS20, but I do have the RS50 sitting right next to the Sony. I would say the overall contrast level is on par with the RS50, Shadow detail meets or exceeds and black floor is closer than most would think.

I have a high power screen and was worried about noticing the fade to blacks during certain scenes, but that isn't the case. The black floor is nice with the IRIS doing it's thing. Sony has done a great job with this low cost projector and I don't think current JVC owners would be disappointed with the contrast and black level performance of the Sony.

it's not perfect, but it's a quality performer for the $$ considering what's included in the box. The out of the box color accuracy is the most surprising so far since I've had to heavily calibrate my RS50 to match which resulted in lumen loss right out of the box. I also like Sony's FI vs. JVC's which I rarely, if ever used since it was so easily detectable. The Sony is more subtle imo.

It seems most RS20 owners love their projectors.. what features are you looking for in an upgrade?
post #228 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

The Q004 does not have a DI.

Then he must be having some other problems then. Of course I didn't point it out to him and he dosn't notice it. After he sees my HW30 in 3D (don't want to invite over until I get a replacement) he will likely want to upgrade to the VW95 (or whatever top of the line Sony comes out with).
post #229 of 3210
Looks like some data for the HW30 showed up on the sony support site. Has the manual etc: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=VPLHW30AES
post #230 of 3210
FYI for anyone using Harmony remotes... the HW30 seems to be in the Harmony database now (you have to search for VPL-HW30ES). I tried adding it the other day and it switched me to the VPL-VW90ES.
post #231 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Looks like some data for the HW30 showed up on the sony support site. Has the manual etc: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=VPLHW30AES

Thanks, I'll add to the OP.
post #232 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Can you check in the menue options on the Sony 30 if it will vertical stretch in 2D and 3D?

Since your in the Atlanta area have you been down to Danley? I have a craving for 2 of their new subs the DBH218LC.

I read the manual and couldnt find if this pj does vertical stretch for those of us with anamorphic lens for 2.40 aspect. Can someone help?
post #233 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I read the manual and couldnt find if this pj does vertical stretch for those of us with anamorphic lens for 2.40 aspect. Can someone help?

No it dosn't.
post #234 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I read the manual and couldnt find if this pj does vertical stretch for those of us with anamorphic lens for 2.40 aspect. Can someone help?

I will check this afternoon Kut, sorry I just saw your reply.

I've been down to Danley when I picked up my DTS-10's, outside of that I refuse to go there because I know I will leave with my credit card maxed out I am literally 1 exit away from them.

I also am interested in ditching my 2 DTS-10's for 2 DBH218LC's but I have yet to see a price tag on them yet.
post #235 of 3210
Not sure if already posted but here's the review from projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony..._review.htm?em
post #236 of 3210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Not sure if already posted but here's the review from projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony..._review.htm?em

Added to the OP, thanks.
post #237 of 3210
Help needed. Has any one tried this projector with the Xpand 103s and if they work, how do they compare in PQ to the Sony glasses that come with the AES?
post #238 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Help needed. Has any one tried this projector with the Xpand 103s and if they work, how do they compare in PQ to the Sony glasses that come with the AES?

Mark - As far as I can tell, the Xpand 103's don't work correctly at this time. I can get them sync in mode 4 (4 blinks of the setting) but the ghosting is pretty bad and they cut out every 10-15 seconds for a 1-2 seconds.

The ghosting is as bad as when I had the Monster Vision 3D's hooked up, only the Sony's provided a nice 3D image at this time. The Xpands may have actually been a bit worse that my screen shots below showing the MV3D's.




post #239 of 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Not sure if already posted but here's the review from projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony..._review.htm?em

I was pretty much set to order one of these...then I see this on the last page of the review:
Quote:


Noise. When compared to other projectors in its price range, the HW30ES shows more digital noise, especially in solid color areas like backgrounds and faces. The noise reduction system does a good job of combating this problem in standard definition, but HD content seems to throw it for a loop. Even with noise reduction at its maximum, the HW30ES still had a good deal of digital noise in HD. Noise reduces the three dimensionality of an image and can make it appear softer around the edges. It also gives the picture a slightly artificial appearance, lacking the film-like smoothness and natural character of the best cinema projectors we've seen. This digital look can be distracting to some, while others are not bothered by it.

Consider me one of those people that find digital noise extremely distracting. It's probably the main reason I've stuck with my Pioneer Elite RPTV for this long. Is this really something to be concerned about or could it be a calibration issue on their part?
post #240 of 3210
I thought I asked this before, but couldn't find my post. Not sure if it got lost in the merge. I've read that the remote that comes with the projector requires you to "cycle" through the inputs. But are there discrete codes for each individual input?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread