or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 102

post #3031 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

We're on the same page, I'm just at the top. eek.gif I didn't even try to use menus with that feature off so I didn't know it would blank out the audio/video but still display the menus. That makes sense. I still like to see the volume so I left my overlays on, but I don't see any lip sync anyway. It could also be your source device (BD Player). Depending on how it decodes, it could be introducing the delay.

Nope, not the Blu-ray player. I have two (Panasonic BDT-210 and a Sony BDP-S5100). I'm pretty sure it's either the projector or the receiver (probably the receiver - don't much care for Denon receivers...). Either way, it's all fine (for now!).
post #3032 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Watched Hot Fuzz on Blu-ray tonight. The more I use the HW30, the more I discover things that are just... different. I have a Denon AVR-3313ci hooked into the projector, and a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player hooked into the Denon. I noticed some sound sync issues last night when watching Oblivion, and had to tweak some things in the receiver (no, I couldn't fix it by using the receiver or Blu-ray player's A/V sync option, because it adjusts the picture/audio the wrong way, just making the problem worse!). Turning off the menu overlay in the receiver really fixed things, though, and I was able to watch Oblivion just fine without any further A/V sync issues. I'm very sensitive to this, so even 50ms off is noticeable to me. The sound was off by about 100ms, so I guess the Denon's video processing to allow its menu to overlay your source was stealing precious milliseconds from the A/V sync.

Tonight, though, watching Hot Fuzz, the sound gradually became more and more out of sync about half-way through the movie, which was a tad peculiar. It was fine in the beginning, and literally just got worse and worse over about a 60 second period till I had to pause the movie to figure out what was going on. Unpausing it did NOT fix the issue. Turning off the "HDMI Lip Sync" option in the receiver fixed it, but... how bizarre! I feel like I've had to tweak some settings in my receiver since adding the HW30 to the equation. The rest of the movie played without issue after turning off the the HDMI Lip Sync.

That said, my guests commented how sharp and bright the image looked. Another win for the Sony, but I'd like to be able to make it through a movie without having to fix something. biggrin.gif Maybe tomorrow night? smile.gif

Hah, apparently Hot Fuzz Blu-ray has issues where it goes out of sync for about 60-90 seconds. That explains my issue, and why it was "fixed" when I turned off HDMI Lip Sync. Turning that off didn't do anything - the movie just fixed itself just after I changed that setting. lol.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1173259/shaun-of-the-dead-hot-fuzz-and-grace-early-release-at-best-buy/30#post_17095393

Still, turning off receiver overlays definitely fixed the tiny a/v sync I noticed in Oblivion.
post #3033 of 3213
Is there a way to convert the IR based 3D to a RF based method?
- Are there RF glasses that work well with this projector?
- Is there a way to use some kind of wireless repeater in place of a Ethernet extension cord between the projector and the transmitter?
post #3034 of 3213
Just new to this projector.
Watched 3 movies in 2d so far and love it.
This is my first projector.
However , tried to install 3d emitter with projector..
Used a cat 6 cable.. And plugged in both sides.
The transmitter is in front, where the screen is.. Projector is abvove seating 4m away.
However.. I dont see 3d settings in menu..
What am i doing wrong? Its just plugging it in right?
post #3035 of 3213
You literally need to have the cable connected when you apply ac power to the projector. If not, the emitter isn't recognized.

Try unplugging the projector and plugging it back in.
post #3036 of 3213
I think you also have to be sending a 3D signal to the projector for any of the 3D menus/settings to appear.
post #3037 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post

Just new to this projector.
Watched 3 movies in 2d so far and love it.
This is my first projector.
However , tried to install 3d emitter with projector..
Used a cat 6 cable.. And plugged in both sides.
The transmitter is in front, where the screen is.. Projector is abvove seating 4m away.
However.. I dont see 3d settings in menu..
What am i doing wrong? Its just plugging it in right?

Ensure you're watching something in 3D - then you'll see the 3D options.
post #3038 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I think you also have to be sending a 3D signal to the projector for any of the 3D menus/settings to appear.

Ah thatswhy..
Im not sending anything yet..
I just plugged in, then afterwards, started beamer up with cables already plugged in, and pressed iinstantly menu button to see if its recognised..
Guess i have to start up a 3d movie/signal then to see the options..
post #3039 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post

Ah thatswhy..
Im not sending anything yet..
I just plugged in, then afterwards, started beamer up with cables already plugged in, and pressed iinstantly menu button to see if its recognised..
Guess i have to start up a 3d movie/signal then to see the options..

Here's a tremendous analogy for you: Think of your whole scenario as.... the ocean. Yes, the ocean exists, but unless you actually GET to the ocean, you won't get to take advantage of snorkeling, jet-skiing, surfing etc. Think of getting to the ocean as putting in a 3D Blu-ray, and think of snorkeling, jet-skiing, surfing etc as your 3D menus.

Did I just confuse myself as well as everyone else? Why yes. Yes I did.
post #3040 of 3213
Is anyone still around who uses a 3D RF conversion? MosnterVision or Optoma, 3d VIP, EStar, (BitCauldron OEM's)?
Can you share some experiences and what glasses that worked with the Sony?
post #3041 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post

Is anyone still around who uses a 3D RF conversion? MosnterVision or Optoma, 3d VIP, EStar, (BitCauldron OEM's)?
Can you share some experiences and what glasses that worked with the Sony?

I have used the following, the original projector glasses, the original Optoma RF, Monster RF, the Playstation Glasses and my kids have used the Sony child glasses with the polarizer filter.

Overall I like the Optoma/monster glasses but the Monsters don't hold a long term charge very well and despite what some claim you can't completely tune out the minor crosstalk that happens on occasion.

If the Sony glasses where a little more comfortable they would be as good as the Optoma despite no fine tuning capability.

The PS3 aren't very comfortable but I think they would be a good choice for kids that have outgrown the child sized ones. They are just as good at the Sony included ones and they seem to keep better sync with head movement.
post #3042 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I have used the following, the original projector glasses, the original Optoma RF, Monster RF, the Playstation Glasses and my kids have used the Sony child glasses with the polarizer filter.

Overall I like the Optoma/monster glasses but the Monsters don't hold a long term charge very well and despite what some claim you can't completely tune out the minor crosstalk that happens on occasion.

If the Sony glasses where a little more comfortable they would be as good as the Optoma despite no fine tuning capability.

The PS3 aren't very comfortable but I think they would be a good choice for kids that have outgrown the child sized ones. They are just as good at the Sony included ones and they seem to keep better sync with head movement.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I saw some commenting about the charge. I wonder if the latest 6000 version such as the EStar America ESG6000 RF-3D are better. They claim a 50 hour charge and 180days standby.
post #3043 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Ensure you're watching something in 3D - then you'll see the 3D options.

This is actually not true.

The 3d menu is visible as soon as you connect a 3d device via hdmi
The options inside that 3d menu only are visible when playing 3d content.

Now my problem is that i dont see that 3d menu!
Emitter is connected with good cable before starting projector.

It seems my htpc isnt sending a 3d signal

Mobo is an asrock a75m , which has 3d support
installed on win7 64bit with 13.9 catalayst latest drivers
Resolution 1080p with 24hz refreshrate
Tmt is set up correctly
post #3044 of 3213
I am a satisfied owner of an HW30. What a great value this projector is. I bought one for $1525 and am thrilled.

I am about to experiment with the 3d capabilities of this projector. From reading this thread, here is what I've surmised:


Monster/ Optima RF
The most satisfying experience seems to be an Optima RF pair of glasses with a monster vision IR to RF converter. The Monster vision glasses are also good but are no longer supported and have a short battery life. You also cannot do an all important firmware upgrade now that they are not supported.

Sony
The default sony glasses are $130 and hurt the bridge of the nose of nearly every poster who described the glasses on this forum. The PS3 glasses appear to be good values for kids but require the standard sony IR transmitter. IR appears to lose connection when a person turns their head. So, this is a more expensive and less satisfying overall... except the PS3 glasses are good values for kids.

Other solutions exist, but those appear to be the most popular.

Now, my question:
I want this set up for a family of four. Cost is our primary consideration in this first foray into 3d. Assuming we decide on step better than four ps3 glasses, here is what I am thinking is best at this point:

monster vision IR to RF converter
2 monster vision glasses (half the cost of optima). hoping firmware is not an issue
2 child rf glasses (have no idea if child rf glasses exist)

I would appreciate any opinions.
post #3045 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka1313 View Post

I am a satisfied owner of an HW30. What a great value this projector is. I bought one for $1525 and am thrilled.

I am about to experiment with the 3d capabilities of this projector. From reading this thread, here is what I've surmised:


Monster/ Optima RF
The most satisfying experience seems to be an Optima RF pair of glasses with a monster vision IR to RF converter. The Monster vision glasses are also good but are no longer supported and have a short battery life. You also cannot do an all important firmware upgrade now that they are not supported.

Sony
The default sony glasses are $130 and hurt the bridge of the nose of nearly every poster who described the glasses on this forum. The PS3 glasses appear to be good values for kids but require the standard sony IR transmitter. IR appears to lose connection when a person turns their head. So, this is a more expensive and less satisfying overall... except the PS3 glasses are good values for kids.

Other solutions exist, but those appear to be the most popular.

Now, my question:
I want this set up for a family of four. Cost is our primary consideration in this first foray into 3d. Assuming we decide on step better than four ps3 glasses, here is what I am thinking is best at this point:

monster vision IR to RF converter
2 monster vision glasses (half the cost of optima). hoping firmware is not an issue
2 child rf glasses (have no idea if child rf glasses exist)

I would appreciate any opinions.

If I were you I'd buy the PS3 3D glasses (you can pick them up for @$20 each). I have 2 pairs of them along 4/pairs of the >$100 Sony 'ones'. The PS3 ones are much lighter and the nose piece is adjustable (flexible). Not sure how old your kids are but I'd rather have a $20 loss should the pair get busted vs $100.

ps - how did you get a HW30 for that low price?!?!?
post #3046 of 3213
Thanks Wryker. Maybe the PS3 glasses route is the way to go.

btw, I bought the hw30 on ebay... but they were selling it new as an overstock item. So, I got the warranty, everything. I guess I was just looking in the right place on the web for this.
post #3047 of 3213
I was once a proponent of the RF glasses (Monster or Optima) but after using the PS3 glasses for a couple movies, I'm planning on switching to them primarily. The PS3 glasses are relatively comfortable, have almost no ghosting and never lose sync. I've even walked out of the room to grab some more popcorn and could tell the glasses were still sync'd. My only complaint is that the PS3 glasses have a slight yellowish grey tint to them, but I've mostly corrected for that in the color menus.
post #3048 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I was once a proponent of the RF glasses (Monster or Optima) but after using the PS3 glasses for a couple movies, I'm planning on switching to them primarily. The PS3 glasses are relatively comfortable, have almost no ghosting and never lose sync. I've even walked out of the room to grab some more popcorn and could tell the glasses were still sync'd. My only complaint is that the PS3 glasses have a slight yellowish grey tint to them, but I've mostly corrected for that in the color menus.

Thanks, blipszyc. I agree a yellow tint is a small downside for the inexpensive cost and low ghosting. You and wryker probably saved me a couple hundred dollars.
post #3049 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka1313 View Post

Thanks, blipszyc. I agree a yellow tint is a small downside for the inexpensive cost and low ghosting. You and wryker probably saved me a couple hundred dollars.
Yeah, I was about 10 seconds away from buying 8 new pairs of the optoma's and I got a deal alert for the PS3 glasses - 2 for $20. I figured my guests could wear those and I'd stick with the RFs glasses, but I've grown to like the PS3 ones better. I haven't seen 2 for $20 in a while, but I do see the PS3 glasses on Amazon for $13.99 every once in awhile.

PS3 Glasses on Amazon
post #3050 of 3213

me too,I just didn't want to pass judgement too quick until I can get my Monster Vision 3D's working on the Sony.
6.gif  

post #3051 of 3213
BTW. What 3d IR glasses are regarded to be the best with the Sony projector?
I have the two original glasses and got one of the PS3 glasses so far.
post #3052 of 3213
Hope you can help me please as I will be receiving this projector on Monday to replace my old Panasonic PT-AE 1000U. I hope the upgrade is worth the money. Do I need the monster vision IR to RF converter to get the PS3 3D glasses to work? Sorry if this is a stupid question as I did not want to read pages of posts. Any other information you can give to a newbie of this projector will be much appreciated. Thank you.
post #3053 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerman View Post

Hope you can help me please as I will be receiving this projector on Monday to replace my old Panasonic PT-AE 1000U. I hope the upgrade is worth the money. Do I need the monster vision IR to RF converter to get the PS3 3D glasses to work? Sorry if this is a stupid question as I did not want to read pages of posts. Any other information you can give to a newbie of this projector will be much appreciated. Thank you.
The PS3 glasses are IR, so you will only need the IR emitter that I believe comes with the "A" kit for the 30. If you bought this PJ new, make sure it's coming with the emitter as it's not built in.
post #3054 of 3213
It seems that my 3d image polarity is reversed. The 3d image looks correct if I wear the sony glasses upside down. Any ideas how it correct this? At my previous home, i did not have this issue. The only difference now is the projector is ceiling mounted.
Thanks
post #3055 of 3213
Can someone please tell me if the Sony model number "VPL HW 30ES / B1" means "B" stock? Please because I know there is a difference in warranty and should be in price. Much apprecaited.
post #3056 of 3213
Not sure. The HW-30AES package came with the 3D hardware. Is the unit from a retailer or previous owner? Warranties only apply through authorized dealers. You might want to contact Sony esupport to inquire about the model number. Most retailers are up front about the warranty.
post #3057 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe008 View Post

It seems that my 3d image polarity is reversed. The 3d image looks correct if I wear the sony glasses upside down. Any ideas how it correct this? At my previous home, i did not have this issue. The only difference now is the projector is ceiling mounted.
Thanks

Sounds like you have it set for "rear projection". You should be able to change it to "front projection" in one of the set-up menus.
post #3058 of 3213
Hi All - I have the opportunity to get this projector for $1300-$1800 Canadian. Should I jump at this or are there any other projectors below $2000 that I should get instead?

Have read the reviews and am really interested and this would be a huge upgrade from my Mitsubishi HD1000 720p entry level projector.

Also what are best prices you have seen for bulbs for this guy?

Thanks so much
post #3059 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser-_-Soze View Post

Hi All - I have the opportunity to get this projector for $1300-$1800 Canadian. Should I jump at this or are there any other projectors below $2000 that I should get instead?

Have read the reviews and am really interested and this would be a huge upgrade from my Mitsubishi HD1000 720p entry level projector.

Also what are best prices you have seen for bulbs for this guy?

Thanks so much

I've had the projector two years and love it today as much as I did when it was new. I do a lot of gaming and movie watching with it. Bulbs are about $300 and easy to replace. I replaced mine a little over 2000 hours.
post #3060 of 3213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

I've had the projector two years and love it today as much as I did when it was new. I do a lot of gaming and movie watching with it. Bulbs are about $300 and easy to replace. I replaced mine a little over 2000 hours.

I agree and since I have gotten the PS4 console, it has been a perfect addition for this pj.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread