or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 39

post #1141 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post
I don't know how much of a difference using my concrete gray wall makes vs. using a projector screen but ....
A world of difference. Wait for the projector or atleast use a white wall to test.
post #1142 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post
A world of difference. Wait for the projector or atleast use a white wall to test.
Ah, thank you for your replpy as this makes me feel much better. For what it's worth, I just downloaded a demo of Wipeout HD in PS3 and tested this and WOW even in concrete wall the 3D looks beautiful... I can't wait for my screen to arrive...
post #1143 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post
I don't know how much of a difference using my concrete gray wall makes vs. using a projector screen but I had the following experience with Crysis 2 in 3d. I popped the disc in and when I got to the screen where I am told to adjust the brightness until I see the picture on the left, no matter how high I turned my brightness both in game and on the projector, no image was showing up...

How much of a difference not having my screen makes? Do you think picture appears dark because of this?

Thanks.
Grey walls will usually reduce brightness by 20% or more. Have you tried a white sheet? Your adjusting brightness issue doesn't sound right, though. When you increase brightness without adjusting contrast you get a very washed-out appearance from my experience with DLPs, so try adjusting both. Did you try a normal DVD or Blu-ray? Something doesn't sound right. You should get an okay 2D picture out of the box with a normal hdmi input from any dlp. I don't have an HD33 yet, so it could be a projector issue, but I'm guessing it's something else in your hookup.
post #1144 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post
Grey walls will usually reduce brightness by 20% or more. Have you tried a white sheet? Your adjusting brightness issue doesn't sound right, though. When you increase brightness without adjusting contrast you get a very washed-out appearance from my experience with DLPs, so try adjusting both. Did you try a normal DVD or Blu-ray? Something doesn't sound right. You should get an okay 2D picture out of the box with a normal hdmi input from any dlp. I don't have an HD33 yet, so it could be a projector issue, but I'm guessing it's something else in your hookup.
Hi!

The picture quality itself is very good in both 2D and 3D. For example, Wipeout HD in 3D is very very nice. It is a fast pace racing game and I don't see any ghosting at all in 3D using these "Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP Link 3D Glasses". I had 4 of my buddies over last night and nobody comlpained about ghosting.

However, my problem is about how dark the images seem... It is hard to explain because it's not just the black levels but overal colors seem very dark if that makes sense... This could be because I don't have a white background yet.

Also, I did notice some FPS issues playing FIFA 2010, but none on other games so far. FPS drop is pretty noticebla when it happens. I don't know maybe I have a defective product...

Another thing I noticed is sometimes the screen will flicker like it's re-adjusting or something. It does this rarely but when it does, it looks like searching for HDMI signal. So I am thinking my HDMI cable may be defective.
post #1145 of 5304
You said you are projecting onto a Gray wall correct? How dark is the gray wall? If it's pretty dark it's going to darken eveything becuse it's not going to be reflecting the light back to you. It's like using a really low gain screen at that point. So everything is going be dark, whites, color's all of it. What gain screen did you order?



Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post
Hi!

The picture quality itself is very good in both 2D and 3D. For example, Wipeout HD in 3D is very very nice. It is a fast pace racing game and I don't see any ghosting at all in 3D using these "Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP Link 3D Glasses". I had 4 of my buddies over last night and nobody comlpained about ghosting.

However, my problem is about how dark the images seem... It is hard to explain because it's not just the black levels but overal colors seem very dark if that makes sense... This could be because I don't have a white background yet.

Also, I did notice some FPS issues playing FIFA 2010, but none on other games so far. FPS drop is pretty noticebla when it happens. I don't know maybe I have a defective product...

Another thing I noticed is sometimes the screen will flicker like it's re-adjusting or something. It does this rarely but when it does, it looks like searching for HDMI signal. So I am thinking my HDMI cable may be defective.
post #1146 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post
However, my problem is about how dark the images seem... It is hard to explain because it's not just the black levels but overal colors seem very dark if that makes sense... This could be because I don't have a white background yet.

Also, I did notice some FPS issues playing FIFA 2010, but none on other games so far. FPS drop is pretty noticebla when it happens. I don't know maybe I have a defective product...

Another thing I noticed is sometimes the screen will flicker like it's re-adjusting or something. It does this rarely but when it does, it looks like searching for HDMI signal. So I am thinking my HDMI cable may be defective.
Hmm, flicker and flashes (and seeing sparkles) is usually an hdmi cable issue. It took me several tries before I got one that worked well. If you have a hobby shop close by, get a piece of white construction board and hold that up to reflect the image. If you still think the image is way too dark, then you might have another issue. It could be that your settings are way messed up. If you want to make the construction board as close to a 1.0 gain, then paint it with Behr Ultra-white Flat Enamel.
post #1147 of 5304
has anyone recently purchased a long HDMI cable from monoprice and confirmed that it passes 3d? i need to order an hdmi cable i know will work with this i fear that the hdmi i have running through the ceiling (purchased a couple of years ago) aren't up to spec for 3d, especially at 25 ft...
post #1148 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

has anyone recently purchased a long HDMI cable from monoprice and confirmed that it passes 3d? i need to order an hdmi cable i know will work with this i fear that the hdmi i have running through the ceiling (purchased a couple of years ago) aren't up to spec for 3d, especially at 25 ft...

I'd like to hear on this as well. I see the high speed hdmi cables on monoprice, but has anyone confirmed their 25ft'er to work?

My current cable in my ceiling is DVI (very expensive at the time) and I thought I read that would still work with 3D, but can anyone confirm?
post #1149 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

You said you are projecting onto a Gray wall correct? How dark is the gray wall? If it's pretty dark it's going to darken eveything becuse it's not going to be reflecting the light back to you. It's like using a really low gain screen at that point. So everything is going be dark, whites, color's all of it. What gain screen did you order?

Hey here is what I am talking about. As you can see, the first picture is from my 58" Plasma and you can see the the guy in the picture as well as the text. The next two are from the projector and no matter how high the brightness is I still can't see the guy and the text.

Brightness issue

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc01903ty.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/dsc01906gk.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc01907ur.jpg/

Here are some images of a blu-ray. 2D looks much nicer then the pictures and remember I don't have a white screen yet...

Babylon HD Blu-Ray

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/dsc01910xq.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/dsc01911rb.jpg/
post #1150 of 5304
After looking at the images, it doens't look like it's the grey wall that's an issue. I'd say your gamma is messed up. Almost as if your contrast is set to it's highest point. The higher the contrast, the more whites are white and blacks are black without seeing detail. See if you can reset all your controls to factory setting first or lower your contrast.
post #1151 of 5304
To Waltermixxx & audigeek

I upgraded to the HD3300 from the HD80. I have a 133" Da-Lite HP screen with 2.8 gain. My HD80 was mounted somewhere around 19.5 feet away from the screen. I was always very happy with the picture, however I'm a big fan of 3D. I actually purchased the Sharp XV-Z17000 and had it sitting in my theater the week that I heard about the new Optoma projectors. After comparing the specs and the price differential, I sent the Sharp back without even opening the box, and waited patiently for the new Optomas. Since I never actually installed the Sharp, I can't compare the HD3300 with it. However, in my opinion, the HD3300 is a really nice upgrade from the HD80's 2d performance. The biggest benefit is brightness. The HD3300 is mounted around 15.5 feet from my screen, which is 4 feet closer than the HD80. I initially used guitarman's settings, but everything was still very yellow, from too much brightness. Once I brought the brightness level way down, and made a couple of other small tweeks, the picture is stunning.

The 3d performance from this projector is amazing as well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Now if I can only find someone who needs a good HD80.
post #1152 of 5304
Excellant thank you, that's great info. As a side note, It's tough getting an optoma HD33 in canada, I called optoma today, and they said another two weeks before they get them to send out to Canadian distributors... I also checked on getting an american one serviced in Canada, and yup, it would have to be sent back to the U.S. for service so I will be waiting for my supplier to come through


Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4Signal View Post

To Waltermixxx & audigeek

I upgraded to the HD3300 from the HD80. I have a 133" Da-Lite HP screen with 2.8 gain. My HD80 was mounted somewhere around 19.5 feet away from the screen. I was always very happy with the picture, however I'm a big fan of 3D. I actually purchased the Sharp XV-Z17000 and had it sitting in my theater the week that I heard about the new Optoma projectors. After comparing the specs and the price differential, I sent the Sharp back without even opening the box, and waited patiently for the new Optomas. Since I never actually installed the Sharp, I can't compare the HD3300 with it. However, in my opinion, the HD3300 is a really nice upgrade from the HD80's 2d performance. The biggest benefit is brightness. The HD3300 is mounted around 15.5 feet from my screen, which is 4 feet closer than the HD80. I initially used guitarman's settings, but everything was still very yellow, from too much brightness. Once I brought the brightness level way down, and made a couple of other small tweeks, the picture is stunning.

The 3d performance from this projector is amazing as well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Now if I can only find someone who needs a good HD80.
post #1153 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

After looking at the images, it doens't look like it's the grey wall that's an issue. I'd say your gamma is messed up. Almost as if your contrast is set to it's highest point. The higher the contrast, the more whites are white and blacks are black without seeing detail. See if you can reset all your controls to factory setting first or lower your contrast.

Hmm, I am not sure because every setting is at factory except brightness and contrast, which I know are not at the highest settings at the moment.

I wonder how can I know if there is something wrong with the projector or not...
post #1154 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

You said you are projecting onto a Gray wall correct? How dark is the gray wall? If it's pretty dark it's going to darken eveything becuse it's not going to be reflecting the light back to you. It's like using a really low gain screen at that point. So everything is going be dark, whites, color's all of it. What gain screen did you order?

The screen I ordered is this one;

Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-150in (Matte White)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NE35B4

It has 1:1 gain.
post #1155 of 5304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post

Hey here is what I am talking about. As you can see, the first picture is from my 58" Plasma and you can see the the guy in the picture as well as the text. The next two are from the projector and no matter how high the brightness is I still can't see the guy and the text.

Brightness issue

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc01903ty.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/dsc01906gk.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...sc01907ur.jpg/

Here are some images of a blu-ray. 2D looks much nicer then the pictures and remember I don't have a white screen yet...

Babylon HD Blu-Ray


http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/dsc01910xq.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/dsc01911rb.jpg/

Your blacks are crushing. It's the device you're using, playstaion or xbox. Look in the menu's of the device for a Darker/Lighter setting and switch it. Then readjust the brightness with that startup blacks pattern.
post #1156 of 5304
Guitarman I will be getting the HD3300 any minute now. UPS on the way for delivery. Do you have to make any adjustment on your RF glasses?

Thanks
post #1157 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post

Hmm, I am not sure because every setting is at factory except brightness and contrast, which I know are not at the highest settings at the moment.

I wonder how can I know if there is something wrong with the projector or not...

Watch the image as you turn your contrast back toward minimum or negative and leave the brightness as is. The blacks should fade into grey. If nothing happens maybe you have something in auto mode that needs to be turned off. Try difference modes on you remote as well. You might be in the wrong mode. Or go into menu advanced and make sure gamma is set to normal.

Guitarman says your blacks are crushing, but you say you have same issue with blu-ray? right. It should not give you the issue that the game boxes do.
post #1158 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by perasien View Post

The screen I ordered is this one;

Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-150in (Matte White)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NE35B4

It has 1:1 gain.

Hmm, your lumens are going way down. I did some quick calculations and your 2D will be okay 1200 lumens, but in 3D if the lumens go down to 600 or less because of glasses, etc. you'd be at less than 10 ftls and you need at least 12 ftl to be comfortable. I'm going to be using a 142" 1.3 gain screen, and I know that will be pushing it for me. If you want 150" screen, you'll probably have to go with the Dalite High Power.
post #1159 of 5304
At 150" screen with 1.1 gain, my calculator shows the following results for the Optoma hd33:

----------------------------------------------------------
150" Screen at Mid-Zoom at 1.1 Gain
----------------------------------------------------------
<<Calculations for a New Lamp>>
150" Screen (850 Lumens on Lamp Low Best Mode)= 13.9fL
150" Screen (1050 Lumens on Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 17.2fL
150" Screen (1100 Lumens for Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 18fL
150" Screen (1200 Lumens for Absolute Brightest Mode)= 19.6fL

<<Used Lamp with 200 Hours assuming 15% Lumen Loss>>
150" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 11.8fL
150" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 14.6fL
150" Screen (Semi-Accuract but NOT a Best Mode)= 15.3fL
150" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 16.7fL

<<Used Lamp with 1000 Hours assuming 35% Lumen Loss>>
150" Screen (Lamp Low Best Mode)= 9fL
150" Screen (Lamp HIGH Best Mode)= 11.2fL
150" Screen (Semi-Accurate NON-Best Mode)= 11.7fL
150" Screen (Absolute Brightest Mode)= 12.8fL
post #1160 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

has anyone recently purchased a long HDMI cable from monoprice and confirmed that it passes 3d? i need to order an hdmi cable i know will work with this i fear that the hdmi i have running through the ceiling (purchased a couple of years ago) aren't up to spec for 3d, especially at 25 ft...

I have all mono price HDMI cabling with my set up, a 3D capable HTPC and PS3 to my avr with 3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores (mono price itme number: 3871) and a 25ft 22AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable (mono price itme number: 3990) from my avr to the hd33. Everything runs perfect 2d and 3d. No sparkles, dropouts, etc.....
post #1161 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermixxx View Post

Excellant thank you, that's great info. As a side note, It's tough getting an optoma HD33 in canada, I called optoma today, and they said another two weeks before they get them to send out to Canadian distributors... I also checked on getting an american one serviced in Canada, and yup, it would have to be sent back to the U.S. for service so I will be waiting for my supplier to come through

Waltermixx, who is your supplier? I am in the Whitby are as well.
post #1162 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

At 150" screen with 1.1 gain, my calculator shows the following results for the Optoma hd33:

These calcs works for 2D, but in 3D, the lumens are greatly reduced.
post #1163 of 5304
Yah we know, about 80% reduction, correct?
post #1164 of 5304
My HD3300 just arrived, as did a 35 ft high speed HDMI cable. 2 pairs of 3DRF glasses got here over the weekend (and are now charged). And I believe the Tahiti 3D movie should be here tomorrow.

Black shiny projector. I don't think I've ever seen anything packed so safely (got it from AVS). I think I will just let it sit on the desk for a while and admire it.
post #1165 of 5304
those panasonic 3d glasses that come with the Avatar bundle won't work with the Optoma 33/3300, right?
post #1166 of 5304
Re: HDMI cables, all mine are Monoprice from 1-2+ years ago. I'm using a 25ft 24AWG from my Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR to a 3ft 24AWG extension cable to the HD33. Blu-ray player to AVR is a 6ft 24AWG cable. So, three separate cables between Blu-ray player, AVR and the projector. No issues, except the HD33 takes a few seconds to first display the image after a movie is started/stopped. This seems to be due a resolution switch however (like 1080p/60 to 24 and vice versa) as it was the same when connecting just one HDMI cable straight from the Blu-ray player to the HD33.
post #1167 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Hmm, your lumens are going way down. I did some quick calculations and your 2D will be okay 1200 lumens, but in 3D if the lumens go down to 600 or less because of glasses, etc. you'd be at less than 10 ftls and you need at least 12 ftl to be comfortable. I'm going to be using a 142" 1.3 gain screen, and I know that will be pushing it for me. If you want 150" screen, you'll probably have to go with the Dalite High Power.

If that's the case should I go with a smaller screen like 130 or so? Or would getting better glasses help with 150"? I would really like to keep the 150" but I don't want to get it if it will be unwatchable...
post #1168 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdenver View Post

My HD3300 just arrived, as did a 35 ft high speed HDMI cable. 2 pairs of 3DRF glasses got here over the weekend (and are now charged). And I believe the Tahiti 3D movie should be here tomorrow.

Black shiny projector. I don't think I've ever seen anything packed so safely (got it from AVS). I think I will just let it sit on the desk for a while and admire it.

When people on the threads post that they "purchased through AVS" what does that mean?

I have been a member of these forums for years and I'm not familiar with purchasing from AVS. Does this mean through a dealer linked off this site?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
post #1169 of 5304
Contact mike@avscience.com or give him a call at 585-671-2968.

AVS owns the forum but they are also a major projector dealer, they have several dedicated reps, so not like a Mom & POP Shop. Maybe not as big as the largest, but definitely big enough and been around a while. Many of us have purchased through them before and almost all of us have been satisfied I would say.
post #1170 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanscion View Post

On a side note, watched Ultimate Wave Tahiti last night. Thing look great with the exeption of the night scene with them playing the guitars... I got a little ghosting ( I have the rf's). How, if any can I tune them in?

Page 22-26
http://www.monstercable.com/lit/Max_3D_manual.pdf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review