or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 147

post #4381 of 5304
A/V receivers HDMI I/O (even if pass through only), and HDMI switches are the main cause of projector lockups these days. I would try a different HDMI cable with no switch and see if it still ever locks up.
post #4382 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

A/V receivers HDMI I/O (even if pass through only), and HDMI switches are the main cause of projector lockups these days. I would try a different HDMI cable with no switch and see if it still ever locks up.

i troubleshot this extensively (with different cables, direct path to the projector, etc) back when i was on C02 firmware and still got lockups. Although less frequent, I am experiencing the same exact thing about every other day now.

it's operational during the lockup, it just won't respond to remote commands and the power button doesn't turn the unit off.
post #4383 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

That's good to hear CVH.

I wonder why mine came back with all of my settings different? And they must have new customer service reps because your experience with their communication couldn't be different than my dealings with them.

I'm still getting lockups on C04, so I'll definitely be taking them up on their offer to swap my unit out after it came back scratched. Whatever lockup issues C03/C04 addressed isn't working on my unit even though the lockups are less frequent.

When the lockup happens, I see a red flash on the bottom half of the screen whenever I switch between inputs. The unit is operational when this happens, but I have to unplus it to turn it off and the unit doesn't respond to remote commands.

I would send it in. Customer service was excellent.
post #4384 of 5304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

i troubleshot this extensively (with different cables, direct path to the projector, etc) back when i was on C02 firmware and still got lockups. Although less frequent, I am experiencing the same exact thing about every other day now.

it's operational during the lockup, it just won't respond to remote commands and the power button doesn't turn the unit off.

oleus has already sent his in.
It might be the receiver or the many different devices switching around. I don't use much in my setup, just cable and blu a ray 3D player and a rare Xbox 360 viewing and havn't had any lock ups with Co2. I think you may end up with the same troubles with a new machine if your HD3300 already has the same firmware.
post #4385 of 5304
I too have a very simple setup. One Hdmi to pannie 3d player, other hdmi to Ps3. Then an Optical toslink for audio to receiver. Complicated setups might be the cause, but I would replace it just in case it is a faulty unit CO4 or not. I certainly wouldnt be at all happy with that.
post #4386 of 5304
Guys, like i stated a couple of times already, I get lockups even when i bypass the hdmi switcher in my receiver. I have the second hdmi input to the projector hooked up to a secondary hdmi cable that runs back to my cabinet so that I can plug any of my sources directly to the Optoma. So it's not a "complicated setup issue". Handling a source that is switching hdmi shouldn't really be an issue anyway.

My old epson never had a problem with lockups and I was switching 6-7 hdmi sources for years.

The fact that co4 was supposed to stabilize lockups means that Optoma was aware that there was a lockup issue, correct? Why would they try to fix an issue with lockups if it wasn't an issue? I'm definitely getting less frequent lockups but it's still happening.

I'll be sending my unit in for a swap, but I'll be moving on to a different projector if the new unit also locks up. It's just not sufficient for my needs/setup if these lockups are considered "normal". I go back and forth from Xbox/Ps3/Bluray/Cable/Apple TV quite a bit, I guess I need to find a projector that can handle a source that is hdmi switching a lot.
post #4387 of 5304
I have the hd3300

I tried to play a 3d sbs movie the other day in vlc home theatre player and I couldn't get the pj to go into sbs mode.....any ideas on that problem?
post #4388 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

I have the hd3300

I tried to play a 3d sbs movie the other day in vlc home theatre player and I couldn't get the pj to go into sbs mode.....any ideas on that problem?

did you get any 3d viewing options ? If i am understanding correctly are you saying that choosing SBS in the 3d menu isn't triggering any action?
post #4389 of 5304
When I hit the down arrow button on the remote to select top down, sbs, etc, nothing happens
post #4390 of 5304
So what is the lowest cost A/V receiver that works with 3D and this projector well ?
post #4391 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

I have the hd3300

I tried to play a 3d sbs movie the other day in vlc home theatre player and I couldn't get the pj to go into sbs mode.....any ideas on that problem?

Are you using an HDMI input on the HD3300 for your computer?
post #4392 of 5304
Hi guys, new to the forum and after doing a bit of research re the hd33, I would appreciate it if anyone could fill in some gaps based on your experience for me. Its also my first projector so there may things that I am overlooking.

1. Is the lack of a lens shift a practical issue if it is to be celing mounted. Does the pj need to be substantially lower, especially because my intention is to project the image only half way up.

2. I was under the impression that 3d was only supported with hdmi 1.4a and not hdmi 1.4. I am intending to use the macmini as the htpc which currently supports hdmi 1.4.
3. My aim is to set the image up to aspect 2.35:1 the majority of the time. Would there be any issues to oscillate between this and the 16:9 considering the lack of lens shifts.

Thanks for your help.
post #4393 of 5304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeight View Post

Hi guys, new to the forum and after doing a bit of research re the hd33, I would appreciate it if anyone could fill in some gaps based on your experience for me. Its also my first projector so there may things that I am overlooking.

1. Is the lack of a lens shift a practical issue if it is to be celing mounted. Does the pj need to be substantially lower, especially because my intention is to project the image only half way up.

2. I was under the impression that 3d was only supported with hdmi 1.4a and not hdmi 1.4. I am intending to use the macmini as the htpc which currently supports hdmi 1.4.
3. My aim is to set the image up to aspect 2.35:1 the majority of the time. Would there be any issues to oscillate between this and the 16:9 considering the lack of lens shifts.

Thanks for your help.

Look at the projector calculator on Optoma's website. You can't put the projector down in the middle it has to go above or below.
post #4394 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Look at the projector calculator on Optoma's website. You can't put the projector down in the middle it has to go above or below.

Thanks mate, I have also gone through the user mannual. I like the idea of the Superwide option. It seems that the specs will accommodate my placement. I will have to compromise a bit but thats ok.

I have to now confirm that it is digitally compatible with a macmini 2011 server model which uses intel graphics. I have emailed them to ask since I could not find any info on it.
post #4395 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post

Are you using an HDMI input on the HD3300 for your computer?

Yes, 1.4. It worked fine before but now it doesn't work. Just seeing if anybody had this problem and found a fix for it.
post #4396 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

Yes, 1.4. It worked fine before but now it doesn't work. Just seeing if anybody had this problem and found a fix for it.

i think u need EDID handshake for ur projector and receiver/PC.
post #4397 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewer View Post

i think u need EDID handshake for ur projector and receiver/PC.

Unfortunately not, regular 3d bd's play fine from pc with TMT5
post #4398 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

I have the hd3300

I tried to play a 3d sbs movie the other day in vlc home theatre player and I couldn't get the pj to go into sbs mode.....any ideas on that problem?

You need a player that will play 3D SBS format like TMT or Powerdvd.
post #4399 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

You need a player that will play 3D SBS format like TMT or Powerdvd.

Its been awhile, but I seem to remember just putting the movie in full screen on any player(vlc, tmt, powerdvd, wmp) and then selecting sbs on the pj menu and it played fine.

If I'm mistaken, does TMT5 have a 3d sbs option?
post #4400 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco View Post

Its been awhile, but I seem to remember just putting the movie in full screen on any player(vlc, tmt, powerdvd, wmp) and then selecting sbs on the pj menu and it played fine.

If I'm mistaken, does TMT5 have a 3d sbs option?

yes
LL
post #4401 of 5304
Thanks, I'll give that a shot, will report back
post #4402 of 5304
Just watched Imax - Hubble 3D. Amazing 3D. I watched it with 3D Stock Settings on New HD33 I received from Optoma and was blown away. Felt as if I was right there in space with these guys.

I had a friend over and both of us were saying WOW the whole way through it.
Check it out. Worth Every Penny IMO.
post #4403 of 5304
It's pretty expensive, I bet this thing would look awesome on my JVC given how dark the blacks go in space scenes. JVC does not ghost in dark scenes much, if at all.
post #4404 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It's pretty expensive, I bet this thing would look awesome on my JVC given how dark the blacks go in space scenes. JVC does not ghost in dark scenes much, if at all.

There was no way I was going to pay full price. I waited until it went on sale. Dude, I got it for $19 at BB. On sale right now. (I think I can post price right?), Let me tell you, Blacks on HD33 are awesome in space. No ghosting at all.
post #4405 of 5304
Thanks, grabbing me a copy ASAP!
(Edited: It was already sold out online, don't really want to store hop either for one bluray)

Technically we can't post prices, but it's ok to refer to things now and then, somewhat of a gray area at times.

I am sure the blacks are decent on the HD33, but the JVC blacks are reference level. Hey I might be an HD33 owner soon, as it looks like a great unit, and the JVC is far from perfect, but the one area it kills at is black levels. The hd33 kills the JVC at general TV viewing, sports, overall 3d (especially animated 3D), and things like that.

The old saying "one projector to rule the world", just hasn't happened yet.
post #4406 of 5304
U have to buy in store. Call them to see if on shelf bf go there. I saw it also sold out online, went store and there it was. Right now they have a program where you can hand in old DVD and they give you $5 store credit for any bluray. so I was able to buy it 5 bucks less. Now that's a deal.

HD33 blk levels not the best, but very Acceptable.
post #4407 of 5304
Hi guys,

Has anyone else tried forcing 1920x1080 @ 70hz through the nvidia control panel using this projector? My projector operates normally at this setting and plays games fine, but I'm reluctant to try it long term if it has a high chance of damaging my projector for the sake of 10 more hz. Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks
post #4408 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

Just watched Imax - Hubble 3D. Amazing 3D. I watched it with 3D Stock Settings on New HD33 I received from Optoma and was blown away. Felt as if I was right there in space with these guys.

I had a friend over and both of us were saying WOW the whole way through it.
Check it out. Worth Every Penny IMO.

Agreed, great demo material. Ultimat Wave Tahiti is another one, looks like you can reach out and touch the fish in the under water scene.
post #4409 of 5304
@CVH
You were right, went to Best Buy and there was a huge shelf full of discounted 3D movies all at $19.95!
Heck, there were around 10 different ones for $20 that sell online for $30+. I just bought two though, because the others didn't look worth buying. I got the Hubble 3D and Imax Space Station one.

Watching them in a moment.
post #4410 of 5304
so I just spoke with a rep from projector people who said the 3300 and 33 are exactly the same. He basically said optima is just stating it has the higher contrast and brightness but it really doesn't.

Any thoughts here on that? I don't believe it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review