or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 167

post #4981 of 5304
Just ordered the HD33 with 4 sets of the ZD201's and 100" electric matte white screen. Should have it in the next few days.
post #4982 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

Never had it lose sync while watching the screen. If you look away for a few seconds it will lose sync but once you look back it will immediately sync back. this is actually helpful if you need to get up for a minute, it will get brighter to see through when it un-syncs.
Never had an eye strain issue, like i did with other DLP Links I tried. Word of warning, they aren't the most comfortable but they break in and become less annoying.
Not sure about the number of pairs.
The number is limitless since the glasses sync to the dlp link flash on the screen. You would be limited to the number of people you can fit into the room. I have 5 pairs of xpand dlp links as my work horses.
post #4983 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

From what I've gathered from the manual, you are correct about sources than automatically switch and those you have to enable SBS manually. However, I don't know why it isn't looking "good". DirecTV uses SBS 1080i and the projector automatically switches: doesn't look as crisp or sharp as Blu-ray though.

Thanks for the input. The issue was identified above with a workaround. It seems to be a known bug with the Projector.

Sending 24fps content to the projector in side by side mode breaks it, although 3d bluray in 24fps doesn't.

So 3d sbs blu ray rips have to be outputting at 60hz and then the projector can do 3:2 pulldown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post


The issue you are describing is an HD33 software glitch when using the projector's SBS mode with 1080p/24 content. The Side by Side mode works fine with 1080i or 1080p/60, (1080p/60 is when the Blu player sends the 1080p/24fps as 1080p/60fps with progressive 3-2 pulldown.
My current "fix" is to set the 3-D bluray player so it only outputs 1080p/60. Don't worry about official (MVC encoded) 3-D Bluray discs, as they will still play out as 1080p/24. They have to, as it is the current limit of HDMI 1.4 specs. But standard 2D blurays (including SBS encoded discs) can be made to output as 1080p/60. The phasing issue you are describing should then go away.
I just noticed this last week and will be calling Optoma.
-Greg
3D Film Archive
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/
post #4984 of 5304
Just a question regarding positioning.

What is the difference between the throw distance and diagonal distance on the projection calculator?

I am assuming that for a 100" screen I need to position the lens of the projector 11' 10" from the screen, and the center of the lens has to be 8" from the top of the screen?

Is the PJ calculator accurate?
post #4985 of 5304
UPDATED 3D AND EMITTER SETTINGS (DECEMBER 2012)

I have been Gone a while from this forum. Sorry. I Just got to a point when there was no need to say anything that has not already been said, asked or answered.

Well, I got the itchy Bug to play with HD33 again just for the Kicks,

So I spent a few days tweaking the HD33 and the BG-3DRF GLASSES again in 3D mode.
I was a little nervous about messing with the emitter, but had to try.

I read the emitter manual online and fine tuned the “Glasses Performance Mode”

I was mainly interested in brightening the glasses lens. In doing so, I was pleasantly surprised at the results.
3 things happened that I was not expecting.

1. The 3D image of course brightened.
2. It also removed that green tint that is so prevalent on the Optoma BG-3DRF Glasses.
3. Also, from top to Bottom, the Lens color was completely uniform. No color shift.
Try the Following:

Leave original 3D settings the same as factory default in 3D mode.
Go to User mode and plug in the following Data: After all settings complete, toggle between 3D and USER Mode to see the difference.
Then proceed to tweak the Emitter.
_________________________________

LAMP MODE: BRIGHT
DISPLAY MODE: USER

CONTRAST: +7
BRIGHTNESS: -4
SHARPNESS: 12
COLOR: +12
TINT: 0

ADVANCED:
GAMMA: film
Gamma Curve type: -7
Offset: +1

PURE ENGINE:
Pure Motion: Low
Pure Detail: 1
Pure Color: +2

COLOR SETTINGS:
Color Temp: Medium

RGB BIAS/GAIN:
Red Gain: +2
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: +1
Red Bias: +2
Green Bias: 0
Blue Bias: +1

Run a 3D movie with glasses on and the emitter in your hand.
Pause movie where you like.

Push down and hold the Joystick until 2 green LED’s light up.
You’re in “MANUAL TUNING PERFORMANCE MODE”

Move the joy stick to the right to Brighten the Image, or Left to Darken. You'll notice all LED's will be orange.
I moved it all the way to the Right. The Green tint faded and no Color Shifts.

Now, look at the top of your lens and slowly move down to the bottom. You should have no Color Shift. And no green tint.

For testing, Move the Joystick to the left in increments and u will notice the Green tint gets worse and image darkens.

The Emitter LED’s will all be lit up orange still. Don’t worry. In 2 minutes it will save your setting and return to green.

After all steps are followed. you should have a nice bright image, no color shifts and an almost removed green tint in PQ.

This may not work for all of you. Try it at your own risk. It is easy though.

Link to Emitter Manual:

http://www.optomausa.com/webresources/files/support/7b4dbf9df48548a7904cd75ae63e4656.pdf
Edited by cvh - 12/11/12 at 10:22am
post #4986 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Just a question regarding positioning.
What is the difference between the throw distance and diagonal distance on the projection calculator?
I am assuming that for a 100" screen I need to position the lens of the projector 11' 10" from the screen, and the center of the lens has to be 8" from the top of the screen?
Is the PJ calculator accurate?

It's correct. That drop allowed me to get the image below a ceiling fan without issue.
post #4987 of 5304
Good to know as I am REALLY TIGHT on space smile.gif
post #4988 of 5304
So I've come to the conclusion that my HD33's geometry Is off. The top left, top right, and bottom left are fine. Perfectly lining up with my screen.

It's the bottom right, the image skews downward below the bottom left edge. And I've measured and lined up the projector and screen perfectly level.

I've already paid for a professorial calibration. So my question Is, do I risk not getting back my original HD33 back and loose the settings, be without my projector for two weeks, or just live with the slightly not straight image line at the bottom right edge.

Thanks
post #4989 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

So I've come to the conclusion that my HD33's geometry Is off. The top left, top right, and bottom left are fine. Perfectly lining up with my screen.
It's the bottom right, the image skews downward below the bottom left edge. And I've measured and lined up the projector and screen perfectly level.
I've already paid for a professorial calibration. So my question Is, do I risk not getting back my original HD33 back and loose the settings, be without my projector for two weeks, or just live with the slightly not straight image line at the bottom right edge.
Thanks

record all your settings onto paper or take photos of every menu and setting, that way you have a record of what was done, then when you get it back you yourself can go and reset all the settings back to what it was before it was sent out. This will get you back to as close as it was before being sent out, there is always a possible variable or two that may not let you get the exact same results but at least it will be close enough that you probably wont even tell.
post #4990 of 5304
CVH -

thanks for posting the new settings. welcome back, i too recently rejoined the thread. i'll give your settings a shot on my secondary user settings mode... i'm using dlp link so the RF emitter tweaking won't apply but i'm just curious how it looks.
post #4991 of 5304
Okay, so I just returned the original 2 pair of zf2100's and now the new pair is still not syncing up it seems. I'm pretty much at a loss. The emitter shows a solid 5 blue lights every time and the glasses come on and show a steady blue pulse , but it doesn't seem like the glasses are going over into active shutter mode to blend the " blurred " image. I'm just putting the disc in and it switches to 3d mode. Should i be presetting it to something ? any advice would be greatly appreciated smile.gif
post #4992 of 5304
Do I also need a http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-3D-XL-Converter-Video-Gaming/dp/B0047ZH3CW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ?

My setup is a HD33 with ps3 and onkyo receiver.

My TV downstairs is also a 3d Panasonic Viera if that might make a difference ?
Edited by sev25 - 12/11/12 at 9:10pm
post #4993 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sev25 View Post

Do I also need a http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-3D-XL-Converter-Video-Gaming/dp/B0047ZH3CW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ?
My setup is a HD33 with ps3 and onkyo receiver.
My TV downstairs is also a 3d Panasonic Viera if that might make a difference ?

I am unsure as to what you are asking. If you have a PS3 and the HD33, then you are good to go. Make sure to use a HDMI 1.4a Cable.
If PS3 does not recognize the 3D Projector signal, go into PS3 settings menu and redo automatic TV Detection for it to recognize the HD33.
post #4994 of 5304
I have all 1.4 cables hooked up. The ps3 puts the "blurred" image on the screen. The rf emitter is hooked up and then it flashed red lights for .5 seconds and then switches to 3 blue lights that increases to 5 full lights after about 2 seconds of the game/movie in 3d mode. I turn the glasses on and they pulse a blue led light as if they're on but the image the projector is producing remains blurred behind the glasses and doesn't connect the 3d image. I'm using the zf2100's. I just returned 2 pair that i got last week, but these 2 new pair are doing the same thing. My projector is hung from the ceiling. Do i need to set 3d to inverted or something on the emitter ?


I have a 3d panasonic viera downstairs and all i had to do was turn on the active shutter glasses and they'd flash into a darker color and then the image would be corrected through the glasses.
post #4995 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sev25 View Post

I have all 1.4 cables hooked up. The ps3 puts the "blurred" image on the screen. The rf emitter is hooked up and then it flashed red lights for .5 seconds and then switches to 3 blue lights that increases to 5 full lights after about 2 seconds of the game/movie in 3d mode. I turn the glasses on and they pulse a blue led light as if they're on but the image the projector is producing remains blurred behind the glasses and doesn't connect the 3d image. I'm using the zf2100's. I just returned 2 pair that i got last week, but these 2 new pair are doing the same thing. My projector is hung from the ceiling. Do i need to set 3d to inverted or something on the emitter ?
I have a 3d panasonic viera downstairs and all i had to do was turn on the active shutter glasses and they'd flash into a darker color and then the image would be corrected through the glasses.

I'm not sure if this may be the problem or not but Make Sure on the menu settings on HD33 that the 3D signal is set to Versa and Not DLP LINK.
post #4996 of 5304
Yea, I tried switching between the two and it was set on vesa. I went ahead and ordered 2 pairs of dlp glasses from amazon and they should be here this saturday. Hopefully the dlp work and i can just return the rf. Only other thing I can think of something possibly being wrong with the projector, but i got it in november of this year from newegg and it has less than 100 hours on it.
post #4997 of 5304
I believe it may be the emitter. cant imagine so many rfs don't work. If dlp links work, the emitter is bad.
post #4998 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Hey thanks a bunch for the info. I do remember having it work perfectly, sometimes I use the htpc and sometimes I use the Boxee box.
If I'm viewing 23.xxxfps/24fps content but outputting at 60hz, the issue should go away ? Could you please let me know what optima says regarding this once you hear back from them ?
For now I will set output to 60hz.

I've contacted Optoma tech support, who in turn said they will pass the information along. I guess we can only hope it makes it to the appropriate channels for inclusion in a future firmware update. But according to tech support, Optoma firmware updates cannot be done by users. So if they ever do fix this issue, one would have to send in their projector. IMHO, ..a strange practice for a product that ideally should see as little shipping as possible.

After talking with tech support and ruling out a number of variables, I'm returning my HD33 due to some video glitching that sometimes occurs during 3-D bluray content. Hopefully the replacement fairs better. Does anyone recall how to identify what given firmware is installed in the projector?
post #4999 of 5304
Right got the HD33.

Having a few issues, mainly I can't get frame sequential working, so basically I can't watch 3d blurays frown.gif Using TMT5 and tried it set to nvidia 3d ready display and DLP display and neither work.
I'm also seeing rainbows but as this is my first DLP dunno if I will soften to this. Have 7 days to see if I like it.
Also noticed some glitching when playing SBS 3d, dunno if it's glasses sync or projector issue?

Also I pair of the DLP link glasses I got just won't sync. I got 4 pairs and tried 2 and 1 out of the 2 work.

Any suggestions on how to get frame sequential working?
post #5000 of 5304
Just bought 3dtv play to see if that would help but no.

Tried setting desktop res to 1080@24p and still no good.
Keeps trying to play the file at a lower res and says not compatible 3d resolution.
Keeps detecting the blurays at 1400x1050 so dunno why the hell it's doing that?

Have environment in TMT5 set to 3d ready so dunno what else to try.
Frame packing works for gaming but just can't get it to play 3d blurays.

Anyone have any idea how to do this?
Edited by MarcusarilliuS - 12/15/12 at 1:43pm
post #5001 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Just bought 3dtv play to see if that would help but no.
Tried setting desktop res to 1080@24p and still no good.
Keeps trying to play the file at a lower res and says not compatible 3d resolution.
Keeps detecting the blurays at 1400x1050 so dunno why the hell it's doing that?
Have environment in TMT5 set to 3d ready so dunno what else to try.
Frame packing works for gaming but just can't get it to play 3d blurays.
Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Buy a 3D dedicated bluray player. I've heard to many issues using computer with HD33 for 3D
post #5002 of 5304
Hi fellas
I have recently recieved my HD33 back from repairs guy he found no issues that iv complained about (basically buggy doesn't always pick up 3D amongst other stuff) iv moved the room that it was going in and did my calculations on projector central mounted it about half Way between there throw calculations and it's way off in fact I can't feel the screen even at max zoom ??? Also looks like iv got a corner that uneven (unsteaght edges) bottom right while everything else is fine any ideas what's going on or has any one seen this before ?

Frustration is at all time high with this thing hasn't worked right since new
post #5003 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Just bought 3dtv play to see if that would help but no.
Tried setting desktop res to 1080@24p and still no good.
Keeps trying to play the file at a lower res and says not compatible 3d resolution.
Keeps detecting the blurays at 1400x1050 so dunno why the hell it's doing that?
Have environment in TMT5 set to 3d ready so dunno what else to try.
Frame packing works for gaming but just can't get it to play 3d blurays.
Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Did you go through all the perquisite checks?

:HDMI Cable.
:Firmware on the HD33
:Try a different 3D player ( I use PowerDVD, or use VLC and set HD33 to SBS)
:What kind of AVR and do you accidentally have any processing happening at the AVR level?
:What kind of video card?
:Are all PC drivers up to date?
:Etc ....

As for rainbows, personally, I saw them for the first week, mainly on black background/white text areas, but they went away. Do you have the bulb in Standard or Bright mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post

Buy a 3D dedicated bluray player. I've heard to many issues using computer with HD33 for 3D

I've never had an issue with 3D via PC, use it tons actually.
post #5004 of 5304
I'm having an issue turning off my HD3300. It gets hung up and won't respond to the remote or to pressing the on/off button the projector. I then have to unplug the A/C. I can then plug it back in and everything works normally. It doesn't matter in what sequence I turn the other equipment off, and it doesn't happen all the time, nor with any specific source. It started about two weeks ago and has happened four times now. Any ideas?
post #5005 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

Just bought 3dtv play to see if that would help but no.
Tried setting desktop res to 1080@24p and still no good.
Keeps trying to play the file at a lower res and says not compatible 3d resolution.
Keeps detecting the blurays at 1400x1050 so dunno why the hell it's doing that?
Have environment in TMT5 set to 3d ready so dunno what else to try.
Frame packing works for gaming but just can't get it to play 3d blurays.
Anyone have any idea how to do this?
I am not sure about newer Nvidia cards, but older ones can be a pain in the butt to get 3D working. I have had much better luck with ATI/AMD video cards.Alot less hassle.
post #5006 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I'm having an issue turning off my HD3300. It gets hung up and won't respond to the remote or to pressing the on/off button the projector. I then have to unplug the A/C. I can then plug it back in and everything works normally. It doesn't matter in what sequence I turn the other equipment off, and it doesn't happen all the time, nor with any specific source. It started about two weeks ago and has happened four times now. Any ideas?

That's sounds exactly like a major issue one of the firmware updates alleviated.

What firmware are you on?
post #5007 of 5304
Just got HD33 today and found it is not telling my PS3 neither xtreamer that it supports 24p mode. The result is blu ray disks or iso's play in 1080p60 instead. I had to force 24p on PS3 to make it play in this mode. Bit my xtreamer has no way of such setting. I wonder how many BD players out there wont work in 24p with HD33.
This has never been a problem with my two HDTV's.

Anyone know how to make it work? The 24p picture on this 120Hz projector with PureEngine looks amazing.
post #5008 of 5304
Just found another Issue. I now have a clear line going down the middle of my screen. It's only visible when the image goes side to side. And you can see It when I turn the menu on. Very distracting. ;-(

Anyone else have this Issue?
post #5009 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha View Post

Just found another Issue. I now have a clear line going down the middle of my screen. It's only visible when the image goes side to side. And you can see It when I turn the menu on. Very distracting. ;-(
Anyone else have this Issue?

This is a common problem and a full reset will fix it.
post #5010 of 5304
Hi HD33 users

Do you know if these glasses work with Optoma RF emitter?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-4100GB-Active-Glasses-Models/dp/B007K9P7H0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review