or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review - Page 175

post #5221 of 5304
Ok I have been trying to research what screen to get for this projector. I have a 15x12 room with 7.5 high ceilings and a 9' wide wall. We thought that meant 106" screen. This is mostly a room for my kids to watch movies in. I want to go as cheap as I can without regretting my decision. What would you recommend?
post #5222 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post

Ok I have been trying to research what screen to get for this projector. I have a 15x12 room with 7.5 high ceilings and a 9' wide wall. We thought that meant 106" screen. This is mostly a room for my kids to watch movies in. I want to go as cheap as I can without regretting my decision. What would you recommend?

DIY is your cheapest route for a fixed frame screen. If you aren't into DIY a Jamestown custom made screen is the least expensive route great screen material with a home built type screen frame (be prepared for a 9 week wait when ordering regardless what he says on his website). Any inexpensive electric or manual pull down might be OK if you don't mind some ripples in the screen. (big bucks for tab tension). The Elite fixed frame series can be had for a little more and would get it a lot quicker but the material in not as good but the frame is cormercialy built. If you have only 9' do you need speakers beside the screen a 110" screen is about 8'6" including a 3" border. Checkout the screen forums for every thing you need to know
post #5223 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

If you aren't into DIY a Jamestown custom made screen is the least expensive route great screen material with a home built type screen frame (be prepared for a 9 week wait when ordering regardless what he says on his website)

Yep. I ordered a 120" from Jamestown on March 28. Still haven't received it. frown.gif

Really can't wait since I've had the projector in my hands for 3 weeks now and currently have it projecting onto a very dark, textured wall. I was pretty surprised how great the picture looked even on a dark wall.
post #5224 of 5304
You can use SuperWide Mode together with 3D? I'm not able to select SuperWide Mode while watching a Bluray 3D!
post #5225 of 5304
So I've had the Optoma HD33 for almost a year now but really hadn't tried much 3D content until now.

I'm testing out a Shrek half-SBS clip and I get terrible flashing/flickering (not even sure how to describe it) on any scene change or motion in 3D. For static scenes with no motion the 3D looks great. It's unwatchable otherwise.

Is this effect unavoidable given the low 24Hz refresh rate per eye? I'm using the RF Optoma glasses. Can you tweak settings on the projector to reduce this effect? Thank you!
post #5226 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by italy71 View Post

I just bought a referb. hd3300, the unit has locked up a few times, not a good sign, also, after changing the settings then going into 3d mode,the projector loses all settings.

As a major source of discussed problems with the HD33 in this forum, let me use your inquiry as a place to say I do love this projector. I originally bought my first one via a great price from an east coast distributor and had many problems. When getting ready to send it in for warranty repair, I discovered it was refurbished (much shorter warranty and not what was advertised) so I returned. My 2nd one was much better, but I have used warranty servive on it once as well in my early months of use. Been great ever since.

If you intentionally bought refurb AND are having issues I would highly recommend you take advantage of the short warranty offered if it hasn't expired already.
Edited by agthorn - 5/18/13 at 7:05am
post #5227 of 5304
For 3D glasses, I have been useing the Xpand DLP links for years with no problems. Not to long ago I decided I want something lighter and less bulky. Since I normally end up watching 3D by myself I figured I would give the new Xpand lights a try, so I got the glasses with emitter combo.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZW7SR2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So far they work really good. Emitter plugs right into the 3D port on the back of the projector. I had to swap sync in the projector 3D menu. I like they are rechargeable and not bank breaking on price for extras. The power button is really my only complaint so far.
So if any one is looking for 3D glasses you can look at these as an option.
post #5228 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

So I've had the Optoma HD33 for almost a year now but really hadn't tried much 3D content until now.

I'm testing out a Shrek half-SBS clip and I get terrible flashing/flickering (not even sure how to describe it) on any scene change or motion in 3D. For static scenes with no motion the 3D looks great. It's unwatchable otherwise.

Is this effect unavoidable given the low 24Hz refresh rate per eye? I'm using the RF Optoma glasses. Can you tweak settings on the projector to reduce this effect? Thank you!

I fully charged my glasses, updated the firmware of the emitter with the VIP 3D utility, re-synced the glasses, adjusted the delay and duty cycle and bit and all is good now. Pretty happy with the 3D picture.
post #5229 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChris View Post

You can use SuperWide Mode together with 3D? I'm not able to select SuperWide Mode while watching a Bluray 3D!

Could someone clarify if this is possible or not plz!?
post #5230 of 5304
I am not sure what I would search to research this so I am asking here. I want to mount my 3300 on a shelf near the ceiling in the back of my theater. One reason is the equipment rack will be on the wall behind it in the next room, another reason is to save a couple bucks on the mount. It just makes sense as far as keeping it simple and running cords. So what setting do I use or so I need to edit a setting? Desk front or ceiling front?
post #5231 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post

I am not sure what I would search to research this so I am asking here. I want to mount my 3300 on a shelf near the ceiling in the back of my theater. One reason is the equipment rack will be on the wall behind it in the next room, another reason is to save a couple bucks on the mount. It just makes sense as far as keeping it simple and running cords. So what setting do I use or so I need to edit a setting? Desk front or ceiling front?

You would need to place the projector upside down on the self and use ceiling front setting. The projector must be mounted slightly above the top or slightly below bottom of the screen. You could also bolt the projector to the under side of the shelf if its high enough
post #5232 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChris View Post

Could someone clarify if this is possible or not plz!?

Doesn't seem to be an option. "SuperWide: Sets the projector to a 2.0:1 Aspect Ratio so that 4x3 and 16x9 images do not exhibit black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when using a 2.0A1 aspect ration screen. This function works in conjunction with the aspect ratio settings."
It doesn't mention it works in conjunction with 3d? But if your watching native 16x9 content off bluray, the feature shouldn't be necessary, unless I guess an older 3d film that was encoded in 4x3?
post #5233 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Over the weekend, I started using the Superwide mode on my HD3300 and I really like it for scope movies in 3D especially. By shrinking the black bars, there is much more area for the 3D presentation. The way it is done (auto cropping to fill a 2:1 aspect ratio) is really nice and preserves the frame pretty well. Definitely better than most TV station's "cropping" to 16:9 (like HBO HD). I am not a fan of how it boxes 16:9 content, but I could actually live with this setting all the time if I had to. In fact, it works so well that I noticed my 40" Samsung 3D TV has it and on that small a screen, it will come in handy there as well.

Another nifty little thing about this PJ that I had never really used before. Oh, and you purists out there, there is no need to talk about director's intent. I am just saying it is a nice feature for those who want to try it.

@jnabq: From this post above, I get the impression that it would be possible for the Pj to use SuperWide Mode for 3D Movies with CinemaScope to reduce the black bars and widen the picture (which would be awesome!)! However I am only able to select SuperWide Mode in 2D! My question simply was, if there's a way to get SuperWide Mode to work in 3D also.
post #5234 of 5304
Ok...next step. If we were to go the projector mount route, what should we get? I am sorry I am at such a loss with this. I have searched and nothing is really helping with my decision.
post #5235 of 5304
post #5236 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChris View Post

@jnabq: From this post above, I get the impression that it would be possible for the Pj to use SuperWide Mode for 3D Movies with CinemaScope to reduce the black bars and widen the picture (which would be awesome!)! However I am only able to select SuperWide Mode in 2D! My question simply was, if there's a way to get SuperWide Mode to work in 3D also.

That would be nice. Did you try different formats/aspects. Maybe a specific format setting is required. Send larrimore a pm and get the scoop.
post #5237 of 5304
Can anyone confirm if the Side by Side 3D mode can be used with 24p content yet ? I can't use 24p and SBS 3D currently. I'm forced to upsample to 1080p/60.

This is a known bug, I'd like to get this fixed so that I can watch content at its native refresh rate (or multiple of).
post #5238 of 5304
agree.Yes two separate calibrations for each signal remembered. 15.gif
post #5239 of 5304
Just letting hd33 owners know that the Xpand EX105BT kit works with the hd33. I also got the $20 Samsung 4100 glasses working with the emitter . Much cheaper path to having rf glasses .
post #5240 of 5304
I have been wondering but didn't know where to ask. I just bought 2 new optima rf glasses a week ago frown.gif
post #5241 of 5304
I bought the expand kit last month. They work great so far.
post #5242 of 5304
Has anyone had to replace the lamp in their HD33 yet. I have about 2500 hrs. on mine and is still quite bright. I just wanted to get an estimate on real life expectancy and if its close to time to buy a spare
post #5243 of 5304
What?? you don't have a spare? smile.gif If you plan on keeping it, it might be a good idea at this point? I always try to keep at least one spare handy, even if it has a couple thousand hrs on it. Then it can be plugged right in and used, till a new one arrives. Get you a new one, plug it in, and keep your 2500 hr one, for a backup.
post #5244 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Has anyone had to replace the lamp in their HD33 yet. I have about 2500 hrs. on mine and is still quite bright. I just wanted to get an estimate on real life expectancy and if its close to time to buy a spare
Mine stayed bright until it blew. Scared the **** out of me. When it stared reaching the end of its life I noticed a flickering in one of the corners on the screen. It had close to 3000hrs on it.
post #5245 of 5304
My original bulb with 1600 hours just exploded dramatically. It was like an m-80 went off ! I don't even know the best places to get a quick replacement. I think it may even be covered from my 3300 warranty ? There was glass everywhere inside of the unit.
post #5246 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

My original bulb with 1600 hours just exploded dramatically. It was like an m-80 went off ! I don't even know the best places to get a quick replacement. I think it may even be covered from my 3300 warranty ? There was glass everywhere inside of the unit.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-lamp-suppliers.htm
http://www.projectorlampsource.com/optoma_sp.8kz01gc01_lamp.html $190 lamp only
post #5247 of 5304
post #5248 of 5304
Just ordered a replacement via amazon, other vendors seemed to have delayed shipping. My lamp clock was at 1600 but I watched a lot of 3d in high powered mode, plus the clock was reset when I sent it in for a firmware upgrade. So it was probably closer to 3000. I didn't expect it to explode the way it did, though. There is glass everywhere inside the projector and I had buy the complete housing as the glass window in the front of the housing was shattered.
post #5249 of 5304
I have my hd3300 ceiling mounted finally. We went to watch 3d today and it says it can not detect 3d content. When we had it on the table we watched several 3d movies with no problem. Any ideas what could have happened in the move ? ( I did a search but after 2 pages of not what I was looking for I thought us ask)
post #5250 of 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdagooch View Post

I have my hd3300 ceiling mounted finally. We went to watch 3d today and it says it can not detect 3d content. When we had it on the table we watched several 3d movies with no problem. Any ideas what could have happened in the move ? ( I did a search but after 2 pages of not what I was looking for I thought us ask)

Turn off all your equipment and then back on. I have this happen sometimes. It's something to do with the HDMI handshake at the bluray player not seeing that the projector is 3d capable. Having the receiver in between may be part of the issue.

Try turning on projector then receiver then player... Better yet, unplug each device then plug in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Optoma HD33 HD3300 1080p 3D Projector Review