or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Can someone recommend a Receiver? Have speakers already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can someone recommend a Receiver? Have speakers already.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have 4 Surround and 1 Center Speaker already along with the Sub. They are old but still great speakers. Here's a link to the speakers. http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...recent/rm6800/

Things that I'm interested in:

1) A future proof receiver that "if" and "when" I decide to upgrade to a 3D LCD the receiver will be compatible. I currently own the Samsung LNT-5271f.

2) Minimum of 5 HDMI inputs.

3) Airplay compatible for iDevices.

4) This is optional, but the networking capabilities are intriguing to me, but I'm not sure how much I'll use them since I'll have Airplay to play pretty much whatever I need to through my iPhone/iPad/PC.

Looking to find an as reasonable receiver as possible with the specs I mentioned above. I know that they are some decent spec requests, but it's been a long time since I've bought a receiver and I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to these things now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 14
What is your budget ? Without knowing your budget, I would say the Denon AVR 2112ci or the Yamaha RX-V867.

Oh, just noticed you said you want airplay. In that case I would suggest the following:

Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Pioneer VSX-1121-K
Denon AVR-2112ci
Denon AVR-2312ci
Denon AVR-3312ci

Again, you should post your budget to narrow down the choices.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Don't really have a budget, but I don't need anything overkill. I'm trying to find something reasonable to match my speakers. With that said don't really want to spend $500 but is it even possible to find something for cheaper with my mentioned above needs?
post #4 of 14
In that case, your best choice would be the VSX-1021-K. It will do all you are asking for.
post #5 of 14
Onkyo TX-NR609 would be my choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR609...3965610&sr=1-1


Jeff
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
What's your thought about the Denon AVR-1912? I found a very good deal, much lower then MSRP. thanks for the help BTW!
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Onkyo TX-NR609 would be my choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR609...3965610&sr=1-1


Jeff

I looked at this one, but it doesn't support Airplay Thanks for the input though.
post #8 of 14
I think I'd get the Onkyo and pick up a used Airport Express or an Apple TV to do the airplay with. You'd get a lot more functionality that getting it built into the receiver, I think. Just make sure you get the optical cable if you go this way.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
After researching most of the day I've noticed that most of these receivers have to be hardwired (CAT5) into a modem or router. This is a problem as my modem/router are on a different floor then the room I'm trying to hook this up in. It can never be easy can it
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoprano View Post

After researching most of the day I've noticed that most of these receivers have to be hardwired (CAT5) into a modem or router. This is a problem as my modem/router are on a different floor then the room I'm trying to hook this up in. It can never be easy can it

You don't have to have a true wired connection. Look at a wireless bridge (or, if you're technical enough, look into another wireless router and put dd-wrt or tomato on it.)

Here's the basic idea:

Internet coming into your home <-wire-> Wireless router <-wireless-> Wireless bridge <-wire-> AVR (or whatever else)

You can get (for example) a refurbished WET610n directly from Cisco/Linksys for $50. If you already have a wireless network in your home, you'll be set with that. There are obviously other choices, but that's a pretty good choice...
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen View Post

You don't have to have a true wired connection. Look at a wireless bridge (or, if you're technical enough, look into another wireless router and put dd-wrt or tomato on it.)

Here's the basic idea:

Internet coming into your home <-wire-> Wireless router <-wireless-> Wireless bridge <-wire-> AVR (or whatever else)

You can get (for example) a refurbished WET610n directly from Cisco/Linksys for $50. If you already have a wireless network in your home, you'll be set with that. There are obviously other choices, but that's a pretty good choice...


Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into Wireless Bridges for the last hour or so. I did just upgrade my router recently to the Linksys e4200 and I believe I still have my old WRT54G laying around somewhere. I'm going to look into the DD-WRT firmware for it.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Denon AVR 1912? I don't think I can pass on this deal.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Any opinions on the AVR 1912?
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoprano View Post

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into Wireless Bridges for the last hour or so. I did just upgrade my router recently to the Linksys e4200 and I believe I still have my old WRT54G laying around somewhere. I'm going to look into the DD-WRT firmware for it.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Denon AVR 1912? I don't think I can pass on this deal.

I don't have anything (positive or negative... or worthwhile for that matter ) to say on the 1912. Sorry.

However, I will say this: The wrt54G has been a fantastic box (depending on which version/rev you own) for a lot of people. However, it isn't exactly known as one of the easiest models to flash. That statement isn't to discourage you from flashing it, but to let you know that if it - for whatever reason - doesn't work out for you, there are other options out there that may be easier to put dd-wrt on.

Regardless, don't forget or skimp on the 30-30-30 reset.

Good luck.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoprano View Post

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into Wireless Bridges for the last hour or so. I did just upgrade my router recently to the Linksys e4200 and I believe I still have my old WRT54G laying around somewhere. I'm going to look into the DD-WRT firmware for it.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Denon AVR 1912? I don't think I can pass on this deal.

I just purchased one of these and really like it. Really good sound. My problem with it is I have it connected via an ethernet cable from the Denon 1912 to a Dlink DAP 2215 Bridge. Sometimes the Denon connects to the internet and other times it doesn't (acts like it does not recognize the bridge). I contacted Denon for help and they said this unit will not work with a bridge or switch and has to be connected directly to the router, which is really ridiculous. It is really weird. I can turn it on one time and it connects flawlessly to the bridge. Later in the day I try to connect and it cannot do it. I think it is some setting that needs to be set, but Denon says no - just won't work. So if you are not planning on connecting this directly to your router, don't buy it as you well be disappointed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Can someone recommend a Receiver? Have speakers already.