My initial thoughts:
- Wow this thing is heavy! I weighed the box before putting in the drivers and it was just over 100lb’s
- Wow these drivers in a sealed box are power hungry
- WOW the FP14000 is powerful!!!
- Wow the 5400 + VMP design is much more efficient
- Wow this thing sounds good
At first it sounded good, but not great. The punch and weight of the bass was missing, and it didn’t play well with the VMP sub AT ALL. Both sounded much better playing by themselves. I inverted the polarity on the MiniDSP for the sealed sub and bingo…DANG it sounds good!
I can see how a Marathon MA-5050 would come in a little short for powering one of these. The FP14000 seems endless for power. It just keep going and going, and my ears say stop when trying to find its limits. I haven’t seen the clip lights yet, and for me that’s a first.
The cost of these two weren’t too far apart. The dual sealed setup was about $150 more expensive, but theFP14000 was 3x the cost of an EP4000.
As I get some time to listen, and for the new drivers to break in, I’ll post some thoughts on the sound differences between the two. Even at this point with only a couple minutes of listening, I prefer the sealed setup.