or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Roomie Remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roomie Remote - Page 43

post #1261 of 1422
My2cwnts,
I don't think anyone knows at this point. I would assume that functionality will expire with the subscription unless you are GF'd in.
post #1262 of 1422
Why Do I Have to Issue Activity Commands Twice?

I "administer" two different Roomie-controlled systems...one at my home, and one at my father's home. On both systems, I often have to issue activity commands repeatedly, in order to get all associated commands to work correctly.

Some examples:

* On my father's system, the "System Off" activity will turn off only about half of the devices that are on, even though all devices have power off commands within the activity.

* In my family room, the activity to "Watch DVD" will not turn on the DVD player until I hit it a second time. It faithfully works after hitting it that second time.
I've messed with every related setting I can find, to include repeating the command, altering delay time, adding a second (duplicate) command, turning off "Automatic Commands," deleting and re-entering the commands, etc.

This is has gone on for months and I'm pretty frustrated, as my family is perpetually confused as to why commands and activities don't work. I'm at a loss as to what to try to fix this.

The two systems use different equipment. Further, at my home I am utilizing IP-based iTachs, while at my father's place, we are using WiFi-based ones.

If I go into the Device and issue the same command there (for example, a "Power Off" command), it works the first time every time.

If anyone has any experience with this issue or has suggestions for new things to try, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I posted this question in Roomie's forum, or at least I tried. They apparently censor posts because mine has yet to show up.
post #1263 of 1422
I have found that ir commands don't always work. I think roomie support will tell you the same thing. In my theater I only use ir via wired itach turn on my receiver, then it is ip controlled, and to turn on the projector. When I was using the blaster for the projector I had problems. After running an extender cable thru the ceiling to the projector and udon the tripper things darted working fine. I had tried all of the things you described as far as repeating or delaying commands. I would definitely put any ir commands before ip in the activity. Also, customize your remote for the DVD to make sure you have power buttons for any devices that do not power up. This way when you hit watch DVD and the remote opens you do not have to go back to activities.
post #1264 of 1422
My system is running only IP commands (no IR) and I see the same thing with some devices.

More specifically, the Yamaha receiver (RXA-2010) and Roku-2 always work on the first command. The Direct TV HR-44 occasionally requires a repeat command. The Pioneer BDP-62FD always requires at least a one repeat and sometimes two. IMO the Pioneer firmware running this unit is sloppy. It almost seems like the Pioneer is sleeping and it doesn't catch all of the first commands.

While not a fan of Samsung as a company (due their low ethics), I do own a PD-8000 plasma monitor. This firmware does not respond to power-On over IP by design but it always works on the first command after it's running.
post #1265 of 1422
Has anyone who got grandfathered in tried installing Roomie on a iOS 5 device? Apple said the App store will automatically pick a previous version of the app and I'm wondering if this is the case with Roomie.
post #1266 of 1422
Thanks guys. I wish Roomie would chime in with a solution or at least a workaround. It needs to work the first time, every time for my family, who have no interest in troubleshooting remote controls.
post #1267 of 1422
Scott, none of my posts in the roomie support thread showed up. I would send them a ticket directly to see if they can help. I had trouble with the wifi itach which was maybe going to be fixed with a firmware update. Thy did switch this out for me to a wired version that solved my issues.
post #1268 of 1422
I^^^

I had this same Issue with Roomie forums. You post and it doesn't appear. In fact it goes via email to them. It's sometimes easier to just email them. The forum setup is confusing.
post #1269 of 1422
Yes, it probably is easier to email them.
post #1270 of 1422
^^^
This is the one thing I dislike about Roomie. Their support is sorely lacking. On several occasions, I've had forum posts not show up as well as support requests go unanswered.
post #1271 of 1422
Fwiw, I don't think I've ever had an email go unanswered for more than an hour...even had one that went out past 11pm then got a response right away.
post #1272 of 1422

I agree with the previous poster, support has been insanely quick, even on weekends and evenings. 

 

I wish Global Cache was as quick.

post #1273 of 1422
Does anyone here use Roomie with Pioneer's HDZONE?
post #1274 of 1422
New to the forum here, love all the info but need som guidance.

I have a 3 TV setup, all with separate directv genies, and Yamaha surround sound.

Would love to use Irule or roomie. Good with hard wiring and hooking things up, not great with coding though. What does everyone recommend?

From what I've read Irule is pretty tricky to set up. Roomie seems much easier.

Thanks in advance
post #1275 of 1422
You will want to throw iRule out the window in 60 seconds. Sign up for the iRule trial and see for yourself.

Your setup is a piece of cake for Roomie.
Edited by Thxtheater - 12/11/13 at 4:28pm
post #1276 of 1422
What hardware and software will I all need for Roomie to run 3 tvs all on seperare genies in the same room as well as a Yamaha surround sound receiver?
post #1277 of 1422
At least one itach ethernet to ir depending on how you integrate the mini flashers.
post #1278 of 1422
I need one of those for every genie? I am very unfamiliar with a lot of this so sorry if these questions are amateur.
post #1279 of 1422
No worries.

You will need one itach and either mini flashers for every receiver or one giant blaster for all them them. I think the itach comes with both, so you should be good when you get it. If you can not get and ethernet cable to it where your components are, get the wifi itach.
post #1280 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by molibra View Post

I need one of those for every genie? I am very unfamiliar with a lot of this so sorry if these questions are amateur.

Check out the Roomie web site as their FAQ does outline quite a few things. But here are the basics:

Roomie is a remote control on an iphone or iPad. That means it communicates over your computer network. In many cases, it can control devices that themselves are connected to your network either via WiFi or Ethernet. So if your TV or receiver is brand new, Roomie may be able to control it immediately. You need to check the IP compatibility list to see if your models are there and if there are any limitations. Unfortunately, many of the newer devices have some limit with certain functions—for example, you can't power the device "on" if it's been off.

If your equipment cannot be controlled via IP then you need to use the traditional Infrared or IR approach. Because Roomie sends commands over your computer network you therefore need a way to convert the commands from the network to IR. You will need an external adapter for that. The ones recommended are made by iTach and you can buy them off the Roomie web site. The way these work is that they plug into your computer network and Roomie communicates with the iTach IP to IR converter. That little unit has three IR outputs. One of them can connect to a flasher, which basically sends a blast of IR and is useful if you have a cabinet or equipment on a single shelf. The other two ports (or all three if you don't use the flasher) you can use with IR transmitters that affix onto the IR window of the device you want to control--the receiver, the TV, etc. This is wired connection so you run an IR transmitter from the iTach to the device you want to control via IR. That's it. It's that simple.

If you have stuff in multiple rooms then you purchase an iTach for each room or you can be Mr. Handyman and run Cat5 or Cat6 wiring and extend the IR transmitter that way. Basically you need to identify the number of devices you want to control via IR and their location and then figure that each iTach allows you to connect to three devices. You could setup an IR distribution block with a Niles or Xantach, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion. For complex setups, like mine, that's what I do. I feed the iTach into my Niles IR distribution system and send it out to ten different IR-controlled components.

I hope that helps.
post #1281 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by molibra View Post

New to the forum here, love all the info but need som guidance.

I have a 3 TV setup, all with separate directv genies, and Yamaha surround sound.

Would love to use Irule or roomie. Good with hard wiring and hooking things up, not great with coding though. What does everyone recommend?

From what I've read Irule is pretty tricky to set up. Roomie seems much easier.

Thanks in advance

+1 on ThxT's recommendation on Roomie over iRule. iRule is a great product, but given what you said, it would probably cause more pain than pleasure! IIRC, I was able to get control of 80% of my components in less than an hour using Roomie.

I believe that the Genies are IP controllable, so you might have the option of directly connecting each one to your network without using an iTach. Depending on the model(s) of TV you have, using IP may also be a possibility. I get very solid results from my IR connections, but prefer to use IP whenever it's a viable option. [Look at the Roomie site's "compatibility" tab to check your specific TV & Rx models]
post #1282 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Check out the Roomie web site as their FAQ does outline quite a few things. But here are the basics:

Roomie is a remote control on an iphone or iPad. That means it communicates over your computer network. In many cases, it can control devices that themselves are connected to your network either via WiFi or Ethernet. So if your TV or receiver is brand new, Roomie may be able to control it immediately. You need to check the IP compatibility list to see if your models are there and if there are any limitations. Unfortunately, many of the newer devices have some limit with certain functions—for example, you can't power the device "on" if it's been off.

If your equipment cannot be controlled via IP then you need to use the traditional Infrared or IR approach. Because Roomie sends commands over your computer network you therefore need a way to convert the commands from the network to IR. You will need an external adapter for that. The ones recommended are made by iTach and you can buy them off the Roomie web site. The way these work is that they plug into your computer network and Roomie communicates with the iTach IP to IR converter. That little unit has three IR outputs. One of them can connect to a flasher, which basically sends a blast of IR and is useful if you have a cabinet or equipment on a single shelf. The other two ports (or all three if you don't use the flasher) you can use with IR transmitters that affix onto the IR window of the device you want to control--the receiver, the TV, etc. This is wired connection so you run an IR transmitter from the iTach to the device you want to control via IR. That's it. It's that simple.

If you have stuff in multiple rooms then you purchase an iTach for each room or you can be Mr. Handyman and run Cat5 or Cat6 wiring and extend the IR transmitter that way. Basically you need to identify the number of devices you want to control via IR and their location and then figure that each iTach allows you to connect to three devices. You could setup an IR distribution block with a Niles or Xantach, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion. For complex setups, like mine, that's what I do. I feed the iTach into my Niles IR distribution system and send it out to ten different IR-controlled components.

I hope that helps.
Man I totally forgot about ip control. duh! I had a brain fart! You will not need the itach for this application unless you need ir to control for the TV's.
post #1283 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post


+1 on ThxT's recommendation on Roomie over iRule. iRule is a great product, but given what you said, it would probably cause more pain than pleasure! IIRC, I was able to get control of 80% of my components in less than an hour using Roomie.

I believe that the Genies are IP controllable, so you might have the option of directly connecting each one to your network without using an iTach. Depending on the model(s) of TV you have, using IP may also be a possibility. I get very solid results from my IR connections, but prefer to use IP whenever it's a viable option. [Look at the Roomie site's "compatibility" tab to check your specific TV & Rx models]

Thanks for the info!!

 

I tried to connect last night just over the network and just my main TV would show up, not any of the Directv genies which are only a few months old. I have on demand, so I know they are connected to my internet router.  I see that there is a serial number option, should I try that?

 

With the itach converters, will I need one for each? I see theres three outputs on the back of the this

 

http://www.roomieremote.com/store/itach-ethernet-to-infrared-adapter.html

 

I am pretty good if I see something done, I think i need to check Youtube to see if theres any tutorials!!

 

Any other help, as usual, is greatly appreciated!!

post #1284 of 1422
No. You can control all of over your network. A little advice would be to set static IP addresses for them because if the change, you will be controlling the wrong receiver.
post #1285 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by molibra View Post

Thanks for the info!!

I tried to connect last night just over the network and just my main TV would show up, not any of the Directv genies which are only a few months old. I have on demand, so I know they are connected to my internet router.  I see that there is a serial number option, should I try that?

With the itach converters, will I need one for each? I see theres three outputs on the back of the this

http://www.roomieremote.com/store/itach-ethernet-to-infrared-adapter.html

I am pretty good if I see something done, I think i need to check Youtube to see if theres any tutorials!!

Any other help, as usual, is greatly appreciated!!

There are several threads on the Roomie site that discuss hooking up Genies - the bad news is that it sometimes is not 100% straightforward, but the good news is that it does seem very doable, so keep persevering! One of the threads talks about having to do a hard reset on a box before it was recognized and there may be a couple of menu options that might need to be tweaked before you get full control. I'm not sure about using the serial number option - in the absence of being able to auto-sense the device, I'd certainly give it a try.

As Pain Indicator alluded to; if you are using IP you don't need an iTach, but you will need access (either wired or wireless) to your home network. Even if you have to go with IR, as mentioned earlier, you can probably get away with just using a blaster (the IR signal will be received by each unit, but there is a device-specific identifier in the IR code that ensures only the targeted unit responds). I suspect you will end up with a mixed IR/IP configuration, which is very common and very easy to set up - if you follow PI's advice to pin down IP addresses, once it's set up you don't need to mess with it again.

Oh yes....good luck with finding any relevant video tutorials for Roomie - they have a couple that are very basic, but there's a conspicuous lack of any detailed documentation for the product. They would probably argue that "it's so intuitive that there's no need"......

Dave
post #1286 of 1422
Enjoying Roomie remote so far. It's working great for lighting. We have a mixture of Z-wave, WeMo and Lutron RadioRa 2 switches and the Roomie remote provides a common user interface so that it all works seamlessly.

Having a problem with my TV's though.
TV1 in the master bathroom, we have an Insignia TV mounted behind a one way vanity mirror. If I hold the original remote on the glass in front of the IR sensor, the TV turns on and is controllable. It also works with a Tivo remote programmed to 091. I installed a Global Cache IR box with a blaster on port 3 and set the port for blaster in the settings. When I send the command through Roomie, the Global Cache responds by blinking it's lights but the TV does not respond. After trying all 3 of the Insignia options in Roomie, I memorized the IR commands using the original remote but this did not work either. I've played with various repeat settings and varied the IR transmission lengths but the combinations I have tried have not worked. I'm at a loss for what to try next.

TV2 in the family room is an old but great Pioneer PDP-5070HD Plasma TV. It has SR+ out but no in. I tried the adapter from serial to SR+ but it didn't work. Am I correct in assuming that out is really only out with no receive capability? Next I went into integrater mode and turned SR+ off and set the baud rate to 9,600 in both the TV and the iTach. I connected a female to female straight through RS-232 cable (also tried a null modem cable with pins 2&3 crossed). The iTach blinks when I send it commands from the Roomie but no response from the TV. Does anyone know if power on works via the RS -232 port? It works on the Elite models but I couldn't find anything definitive except for an "it should work" on multiple google searches. Thanks for any thoughts here as well.
Edited by aharding - 12/16/13 at 10:02am
post #1287 of 1422
Can anyone help me with my new isy. Roomie was working perfectly with smartlinc, I was able add scenes to activities or to buttons in custom remotes. When I try that with the isy I get a list of devices by scene, but not actual scenes. I need to be able to select scene on and select movie watching. I have my scenes in folders so I wonder if that has something to do with it
post #1288 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharding View Post

Enjoying Roomie remote so far. It's working great for lighting. We have a mixture of Z-wave, WeMo and Lutron RadioRa 2 switches and the Roomie remote provides a common user interface so that it all works seamlessly.

Having a problem with my TV's though.
TV1 in the master bathroom, we have an Insignia TV mounted behind a one way vanity mirror. If I hold the original remote on the glass in front of the IR sensor, the TV turns on and is controllable. It also works with a Tivo remote programmed to 091. I installed a Global Cache IR box with a blaster on port 3 and set the port for blaster in the settings. When I send the command through Roomie, the Global Cache responds by blinking it's lights but the TV does not respond. After trying all 3 of the Insignia options in Roomie, I memorized the IR commands using the original remote but this did not work either. I've played with various repeat settings and varied the IR transmission lengths but the combinations I have tried have not worked. I'm at a loss for what to try next.

TV2 in the family room is an old but great Pioneer PDP-5070HD Plasma TV. It has SR+ out but no in. I tried the adapter from serial to SR+ but it didn't work. Am I correct in assuming that out is really only out with no receive capability? Next I went into integrater mode and turned SR+ off and set the baud rate to 9,600 in both the TV and the iTach. I connected a female to female straight through RS-232 cable (also tried a null modem cable with pins 2&3 crossed). The iTach blinks when I send it commands from the Roomie but no response from the TV. Does anyone know if power on works via the RS -232 port? It works on the Elite models but I couldn't find anything definitive except for an "it should work" on multiple google searches. Thanks for any thoughts here as well.

For RS-232 the best way to test is to debug with a computer and a terminal application. Most RS-232 systems will give you feedback and you can see that on the terminal. That's what I did when I was building the Anthem AVM50v/D2v serial set for Roomie.

You should also search for the RS-232 command set for the TV.

For the insignia, some IR stuff is really garbage. Mono price has some HDMI switchers that just have terrible IR codes that Roomie has trouble learning. It may or may not be the same with the insignia. Here is what I had to do once--no exaggeration--to get a monoprice unit to work.
I had to use my old Harmony Remote and load the monoprice IR set into harmony and then learn the remote into roomie via the Harmony. That finally worked. If you have an older harmony remote try that with the insignia and see if that works.

If it doesn't try getting just the power on or off working. If that fails too email roomie support and see if you can send them a session capture.

I wish this stuff was easier but it's not. I'm dealing right now with crappy IR stuff in the Roomie library on an HDMI matrix switch I'm going to be doing for an installation.
post #1289 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichoya View Post

Can anyone help me with my new isy. Roomie was working perfectly with smartlinc, I was able add scenes to activities or to buttons in custom remotes. When I try that with the isy I get a list of devices by scene, but not actual scenes. I need to be able to select scene on and select movie watching. I have my scenes in folders so I wonder if that has something to do with it

OK, I figured it out. When I go to Add Command for the ISY in Roomie there is a line for Scene (12345). Open the ISY admin console and go to the scene you want. It will have a number under the scene name. Enter that number, then it works.

Edit: Not sure why it asks for brightness (0-255)
post #1290 of 1422
Hello all,

Before we sold our house a few months ago, I was using Roomie to control my theater, (which some other guy is now enjoying mad.gif) and also my great room and bedroom set ups and I love Roomie. We are currently building a new house and I'd like to really take advantage of Roomie to create a smart home, lighting and thermostat, all my av gear etc. Can you guys suggest the best switches/dimmers that work best with Roomie?

Also I guess I'm asking, since I have a clean slate with the new construction, what would you guys have done differently or wish you added sooner to your system??

And finally, is there anyone that will set up Roomie for you? I'm pretty tech savvy, and have already been using Roomie but would love someone to really get it rocking to its fullest capabilities. I go into the local high end av stores and all you get is control4 thrown at you.


Thank you in advance for any help, and Merry Christmas! Matt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Roomie Remote