or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Roomie Remote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roomie Remote - Page 8

post #211 of 1422
I am a roomie newbie so bear with me. I have a dedicated HT and I am trying to figure out what the best way to make all my components work with the newbie app. I have Ethernet ready to go on the backside of the rack and the front is very clean and would like to keep it that way. The only ip I get to show up is the directv receiver. Components beside that are: 3d Panasonic bluray. Ps3. Wii. Xbox/ kinetic. Rotel RSX 1057 receiver. Panasonic 3d 65" plasma and Epson 8700 ub projector. I bought the itach Ethernet with 3/. 2 to 1 ir emitters. From amazon. What is he first step. Directions are a little foggy.
post #212 of 1422
You certainly should be seeing the iTach. If you aren't, then I would first do some testing with the little suite of iTach utilities. (Download them from the iTach website.) They all run on Windows, but they are open-source, and there are Mac and Linux versions built by a third party.
post #213 of 1422
Is anyone using custom images in their configs ? If so can you post some screenshots ? I love roomie but the whole interface is a little black, black and more black...
post #214 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanbt View Post

Is anyone using custom images in their configs ? If so can you post some screenshots ? I love roomie but the whole interface is a little black, black and more black...

I think they figure that the room will be black, black, and more black, so they don't want it too bright.
post #215 of 1422
I use custom icons but they still are on top of black
LL
post #216 of 1422
I guess. The design is nice just wish we could add a little color.
post #217 of 1422
Kelmk, where did you get the icons ?
post #218 of 1422
Most of them are included with roomie. The only one I added was the settings icon. Do a google image search for remote icon.
post #219 of 1422
Anyone else have problems with backup to dropbox using roomie? I have an iPad and an iTouch which when I try to backup either of them to dropbox after linking I get the following: "Backup to dropbox failed for an unknown reason. Please relink your dropbox account or try again later." I have unlinked several times but no success. I'm basically wanting to sync what I have done on the iTouch and the activites to the ipad so I dont have to redo everything. Any suggestions? I have emailed support. Thanks.
post #220 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

Anyone else have problems with backup to dropbox using roomie? I have an iPad and an iTouch which when I try to backup either of them to dropbox after linking I get the following: "Backup to dropbox failed for an unknown reason. Please relink your dropbox account or try again later." I have unlinked several times but no success. I'm basically wanting to sync what I have done on the iTouch and the activites to the ipad so I dont have to redo everything. Any suggestions? I have emailed support. Thanks.

I've had the same error all day too - I was hoping that it was just a short-term, transient problem. Placing other files into my DropBox works fine - so it must be something on the Roomie/iTouch end.

....and it was all going so well....
post #221 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post


I've had the same error all day too - I was hoping that it was just a short-term, transient problem. Placing other files into my DropBox works fine - so it must be something on the Roomie/iTouch end.

....and it was all going so well....

Roomie support suggested I try a new dropbox account, I did this but no luck. I was then told they do not have an answer that they have had reports from users of a problem but 98% of their customers have no problem. I guess we are in the 2%. Hope this can be resolved I would like to keep two remotes synced wirelessly.
post #222 of 1422
This happens to me now and then but usually retrying again works fine.
post #223 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

Roomie support suggested I try a new dropbox account............

I created a new account today.... still get the problem + I have tried multiple times, to see if it went away...... Guess I may need to investigate what is involved with using iTunes File Sharing
post #224 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I created a new account today.... still get the problem + I have tried multiple times, to see if it went away...... Guess I may need to investigate what is involved with using iTunes File Sharing

....at risk of being dismissed as a noob ijit..... I just realized what I was doing wrong.... I hadn't created a "Roomie" sub-directory in my DropBox folder....duh! Did this and everything worked fine - maybe coincidence, but everything is now cool.

In my defence, the instructions from Roomie are pretty much non-existent!
post #225 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post


In my defence, the instructions from Roomie are pretty much non-existent!

There's no "pretty much" about it; there are no instructions. I can't understand why they don't provide any, unless they just don't want to do the work. It's a major omission.
post #226 of 1422
Pretty sure this is the manual everyone is using, it goes over how to setup Roomie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXy8KstNps

People don't make manuals anymore and nobody would read them anyway I suspect at least for an iPhone/iPad app. There is also a ton of useful material in the faqs on the website and also the compatibility pages have device specific tips.

(Not that there couldn't always be more instructions, but I think missing pieces are generally related to new features. Seems like a lot of people set it up without buying 'Roomie for Dummies'.)
post #227 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

....at risk of being dismissed as a noob ijit..... I just realized what I was doing wrong.... I hadn't created a "Roomie" sub-directory in my DropBox folder....duh! Did this and everything worked fine - maybe coincidence, but everything is now cool.

In my defence, the instructions from Roomie are pretty much non-existent!

Very strange, I just made the "Roomie" sub-directory on dropbox and it worked. I pointed this out to tech support via email that I did not have a Roomie folder, but they did not seem to think that was an issue, nor did they say to create one. So did I miss a step where it says you are to create a subfolder titled "Roomie"? Anyways, now it works.
post #228 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post

Pretty sure this is the manual everyone is using, it goes over how to setup Roomie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDXy8KstNps

People don't make manuals anymore and nobody would read them anyway I suspect at least for an iPhone/iPad app. There is also a ton of useful material in the faqs on the website and also the compatibility pages have device specific tips.

(Not that there couldn't always be more instructions, but I think missing pieces are generally related to new features. Seems like a lot of people set it up without buying 'Roomie for Dummies'.)

While I appreciate the lecture on the demise of paper-based instructions, I still contend that Roomie is a little lacking in providing usable guidance in some of the 'fringe' areas. I have viewed the YouTube "manual" (as you called it) multiple times, and there is no mention of how to do a backup to either DropBox or iTunes. The absence of any form of topic index makes searching for relevant info very inefficient.

What eventually clued me in to the need to add a 'Roomie' folder was the "Including such a file in your ..... Roomie folder of your Dropbox account before using the Restore Configuration command " statement buried in the FAQs (in a section not specifically related to doing a backup).

I think that the app is amazingly intuitive - I have achieved an incredible amount, with a wide diversity of equipment, in a very short period of time. I'm not asking for a "Roomie for Dummies" (and I don't think that its needed), but I did struggle with the DropBox process, and feel that my frustrations could have been avoided with a little more explicit instruction.

I'm still a big fan though!
post #229 of 1422
Agreed. They need better documentation other than the FAQ and youtube videos that get dated with new versions. It took me a while to figure out all the little quirks and I'm sure I'm still missing some. The lack of a support forum is a big oversight IMO. Most of the questions people have could be solved by a user forum and lighen the load on Roomie support answering the same questions over and over.
post #230 of 1422
Roomie support actually seem a little annoyed when I ask them questions that they may think are obvious but were not to me. They do respond quickly though.
It's very strange that they use a Facebook page for support.
post #231 of 1422
Can anyone tell me how to get my Radio ra lights in my theater controlled by the roomie? i have successfully got all my components on the app and really love it. would like to have my lights controlled also? any help would be great.
post #232 of 1422
Isn't the Lurton ra ip? I would imagine it should come up on the list when you add a device?
Like the itach devices. If not I thought I read something about adding it via a manual ip port 23. Best of luck.
post #233 of 1422
It does not show upon the IP list. Anyone have any ideas? How doiget it to show upon the list?
post #234 of 1422
Look on roomie web page. It says something about manual port 23. Not sure what that means.
post #235 of 1422
Just did some more research. Do you all think that I might have to upgrade to the new radio ra2 or should the original radio ra work ip?
post #236 of 1422
Hello,

I just purchased the Roomie app a few days ago and have a few questions on which hardware would suit my home the best. I've read through every post in this thread trying to figure out what I need.

Here' my main question and its regarding buying a number of Itach IP2SL and / or Itach IP2IR

OR

to buy two used Global Cache GC-100-12 controllers.


I have a number of pieces of gear (4) that don't have an IP connector, but do have a serial connection. I plan on hard wiring everything into my apple extreme router network via a monoprice switch in each room. If I purchase a Global Cache GC-100-12 for my living room and a separate one for my movie room, Can I control each GC-100 with a different iPhone at the same time?

(IE, If I have control of the movie room (GC-100) with my iPhone while my kids have control of the living room GC-100 via a different iphone/itouch? If that is possible, then I'll buy two GC-100s.

The reason that I like the idea of buying two separate GC-100s is that I have 2 serial pieces of gear in both the movie room and the living room. If I go the ITACH IP2SL route, I'll need to purchase 4 x IP2SL ITACH boxes minimally.


Here's my gear:

Movie Room: (Most important room)
Marantz 6005 A/v Receiver (Serial or IR Option)
Sony BDP380 (IP)
Directv HD + DVR (IP)
Epson 8350 Projector (Serial / IR Option)


Living Room:
Marantz 6005 A/v Receiver (Serial or IR Option)
Sony DVD player (IR) I am willing to upgrade this to a BD player with (IP)
Directv HD + DVR (IP)
Panasonic 50" PLasma Monitor TH-50.... (Serial or IR option)

Bedroom:
Directv HD (IP)
Samsung 40" LCD TV (IP)
Sony BDP380 (IP)


Last question: If i just purchase 2 ITACH IP2IR boxes, will i be missing out on anything important by not having two-way feedback (serial) for my two Marantz 6005 receivers? (This is a less expensive route, but I don't know if it'll be flakey since its IR and not Serial.

Thank you,
post #237 of 1422
Can the blaster reach the electric screen and the projector if they are about 5-12 ft away? How have all of you got your projector on the Roomie? Epson 8700.
post #238 of 1422
What I did was to mount the itach above the projector in the ceiling. I then put the blaster on top of the projector aiming towards my audio cabinet. Then I put a single IR control on the projector. I have electric above the projector.
post #239 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post

What I did was to mount the itach above the projector in the ceiling. I then put the blaster on top of the projector aiming towards my audio cabinet. Then I put a single IR control on the projector. I have electric above the projector.

I take it you went with the wireless option because of the lack of wired ethernet up in the ceiling. not a bad idea. that would take me getting another iTach (wireless)
post #240 of 1422
I have the itach(wireless) on projector shelf about 15' from Plasma/Screen with 1 blaster aimed at plasma and another pointer toward audio rack located in corner of room. I also have an emitter attached to projector. The 2 blasters are connected to port 3 via a "Y" adaptor and the emitter on port 2. Works Great!

Jim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Roomie Remote