or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Captain America: The First Avenger
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Captain America: The First Avenger - Page 4

post #91 of 114
Well, enjoyed reading all the comments and just picked up CA and Thor last night. Will watch them this weekend most likely. I haven't seen them in the theater, but have seen snippets of both while traveling.

What attracted me to by is the setup Marvel has gone through to establish the Avengers. I'm not a big graphic novel reader, but I did have my share of comic books throughout the 60's. There. . . now you know!

You don't want to know how many first issues (some tattered) that my mother threw out or gave to my 8 year old nephew whilst I was in the military during Viet Nam.

So. . . hope these will look good in Blu-ray on my 46" Mits and fill my room with great sound from my Boston AVR7120.
post #92 of 114
I just watch CA yesterday.I know last guy to get to the party.In my HT room it was a excellent presentation.Very fun movie and a great excape from reality.Well done'The ending got me a littel.Now the only one I have not seen is Thor.
post #93 of 114
We had about 10 people over on Sunday to have a marathon: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America. About 9.5 hours straight, back to back, all in preparation for The Avengers! Yeah, ultimate nerd zone...

The Avengers tonight at 12:01AM!
post #94 of 114
Watched Cap in 3D yesterday (Iron Man later today) as part of my own prep for Avengers. For a conversion it's very good, with some subtle but effective depth and a few nice pop-out effects too. Cracking movie too.
post #95 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

We had about 10 people over on Sunday to have a marathon: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America. About 9.5 hours straight, back to back, all in preparation for The Avengers! Yeah, ultimate nerd zone...

The Avengers tonight at 12:01AM!

Your not in the Big Bang Theory are you
post #96 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Sure they can. Don't go and, instead, tell them why they're not getting your money. As I'm sure you mean, enough people probably won't do this- but it can be done.

lol! Are you serious? This news actually made the papers here. But no one noticed. People still go, but now they think that the dark 'look' is Hollywood being artsy. I constantly hear people saying, "Why do they keep shooting these movies so dark?" The average man simply doesn't have a knowledge base to understand this sort of thing.

I've spoken with enough managers that when they see me, they turn the other way and sometimes run. One theater has banned me from complaining. So I no longer attend that theater, which sucks because until this problem they had some of the most consistently top notch setups.

I've written letters, faxed letters, sent emails, but am ignored. Until major directors like Spielberg, Bay, Jackson and Cameron demand change and publicly so, we the people have no chance at making a dent in this stupidity.
post #97 of 114
Saw Avengers last night in 2-D at AMC and the brightness level looked fine to me. They were running the same film across 4 screens at once, the actual same reel. The fourth screen was about 45 seconds behind the first one...

Anyway, the film was fantastic. Minimal filler, just everything I wanted to see. All the best parts of the other Marvel films crammed into one film. Whedon knows how to deliver on fan service without dumbing it down. I'm seeing it again before this weekend it over.
post #98 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Saw Avengers last night in 2-D at AMC and the brightness level looked fine to me. They were running the same film across 4 screens at once, the actual same reel. The fourth screen was about 45 seconds behind the first one...

Anyway, the film was fantastic. Minimal filler, just everything I wanted to see. All the best parts of the other Marvel films crammed into one film. Whedon knows how to deliver on fan service without dumbing it down. I'm seeing it again before this weekend it over.

Are you going to see it in 2D again?
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Saw Avengers last night in 2-D at AMC and the brightness level looked fine to me. They were running the same film across 4 screens at once, the actual same reel.

When the projector is set for 3D (causing a brightness problem for 2D screenings), it's a digital projector. It sounds like you saw a film print, so there should not be a brightness issue (unless the bulb was past its lifespan, but that's another story).
post #100 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Are you going to see it in 2D again?

Just saw again today, 2D digital. It was darker than the first time.

But the movie still kicks arse !
post #101 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Just saw again today, 2D digital. It was darker than the first time.

I absolutely guarantee you it is because they have the 3D rig set up and won't change it because it is just too darned difficult to do so.

Went to a party tonight. Four people there who saw it. Two in 2D and the other two in 3D. All complained of dark screens, the couple who viewed it 2D said it was incredibly dim.
post #102 of 114
The theater we saw Avengers at had an issue with the sound. Seemed like there was no side/surround sound. almost all of the sound was from the front.

Then there was an issue w/ the AC blaring for pretty much the whole movie.

Loved CA and everyone else in it though!
post #103 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Just saw again today, 2D digital. It was darker than the first time.

But the movie still kicks arse !

Bright when I saw it.

The problem I have is that it's 1.85 (why?) and that the copy was a digital one and not a 35mm copy. That together with Whedons directing made it look and feel like a cheap TV-show. Captain America and his costume came off as cheap as that old early-90s-film.
post #104 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

That together with Whedons directing made it look and feel like a cheap TV-show.

Oh, puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.
post #105 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Went to a party tonight. Four people there who saw it. Two in 2D and the other two in 3D. All complained of dark screens, the couple who viewed it 2D said it was incredibly dim.

Nope, not here. I saw it in 2D yesterday and the picture was bright with plenty of color punch which is why I usually steer away from 3D. There may be some theaters that can do 3D right but not in my area.
post #106 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Chaos View Post

Bright when I saw it.

The problem I have is that it's 1.85 (why?).

Yeah, I didn't like that. I swear it was 16x9 the second time I saw it.
post #107 of 114
Saw it in 2D today and it was a proper setup. Amazing color, bright, vivid, awesome. Wish CAP was like that last year when I saw it.
post #108 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

I swear it was 16x9 the second time I saw it.

Good catch. IMDB says 1.78 (16x9), not 1.85.
post #109 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritual_chaos View Post

that together with whedons directing made it look and feel like a cheap tv-show. Captain america and his costume came off as cheap as that old early-90s-film.

lol.
post #110 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Saw it in 2D today and it was a proper setup. Amazing color, bright, vivid, awesome.

Yes, my 2D digital screening was impeccable, too.
post #111 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Good catch. IMDB says 1.78 (16x9), not 1.85.

The credits say it was shot on Arri Alexa.
also:
http://www.arri.de/news.html?article...5b4e2f93a73f81
The frame was composed for the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, a concept that was spearheaded by Whedon early on. Explains McGarvey, "Shooting 1.85:1 is kind of unusual for an epic film like this, but we needed the height in the screen to be able to frame in all the characters like Hulk, Captain America and Black Widow, who is much smaller. We had to give them all precedence and width within the frame. Also, Joss knew the final battle sequence was going to be this extravaganza in Manhattan, so the height and vertical scale of the buildings was going to be really important."

Therefore, the DCI deliverables were 1998x1080.
post #112 of 114
Good to know that it was intentional and not a fluke by the theater. My local AMC is usually really good. Honestly, I didn't even notice the framing the first time as I was too caught up in the content. As it should be, I suppose.

Hmm, looks like they also used a Canon 5D Mk II for a bunch of shots. Interesting.
post #113 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

lol.

Is this Spirtual_Chaos guy for real???? Maybe he stumbled into a different movie!
post #114 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Is this Spirtual_Chaos guy for real???? Maybe he stumbled into a different movie!

I just figure he didn't like it for some odd reason and is now trying to get a rise out of everyone who seems to love it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Captain America: The First Avenger