or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 48

post #1411 of 2893
Thread Starter 
about that, yea, i just embraced letting windows do it.
post #1412 of 2893
I upgraded my HTPC last week and have been having trouble getting bitstreaming working. I used this guide several months ago with a Core2Duo + ATI 5670 after giving up on the Nvidia GT430.

New system is an ASRock H77M-ITX + Intel i3-3220T. I'm running the latest Intel drivers, MPC-HC, LAV filters, and madvr. I have the test files for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA from my previous configuration. Also I have some m2ts with Dolby Digital, TrueHD tracks. For some reason whenever I select the TrueHD track my RX-V867 receiver shows no audio data. If I use TMT5 it comes through as PCM. If I have DTS-MA tracks (from full Bluray rip) it comes through as just DTS core. Any idea what might be wrong? I've reinstalled everything and followed the guide in the original post to the T. Some of the menu screens looked a tad different because of the new versions though. Some screens had some additional options though that I left at default.
post #1413 of 2893
Thread Starter 
hmm, are you using windows 8?
I've heard the intel drivers for it have these type of issues.
post #1414 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

about that, yea, i just embraced letting windows do it.

lol
post #1415 of 2893
Thread Starter 
yea, specifically, pcm audio goes through the windows mixer.
post #1416 of 2893
Thread Starter 
so there has been an update to madvr so it now allows dxva2 native decoding.
good option now for amd radeon users who want to lower cpu usage.
post #1417 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

so there has been an update to madvr so it now allows dxva2 native decoding.
good option now for amd radeon users who want to lower cpu usage.

Interesting. I tried copy back in my c2q/HD6850 gaming rig and the 'birds' demo was enough to make it skip frames (fine in software of course). I'll update and try native.

I'll also try it on my Trinity rig.
post #1418 of 2893
Thread Starter 
also should mention there is a new dxva scaler option as well for image scaling that is pretty fast.
If you couldn't use madvr before because it was too slow, there is a good chance you can now.
post #1419 of 2893
Support for native DXVA is a huge breakthrough. Suddenly Radeon HD 6xxx including Llano revived. smile.gif
post #1420 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

also should mention there is a new dxva scaler option as well for image scaling that is pretty fast.

Just noticed that, but it's greyed out for chroma upscaling.

So many choices now, what's best for what type of hardware?
post #1421 of 2893
Thread Starter 
id probably avoid dxva scaling in general and go with one of the others unless you really need the performance.
It may be better for battery life on laptops though.

I'm using madvr on my e350 netbook now. working ok so far. dxva2 native video decoding, bilnear chroma, dxva scaling.
post #1422 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Support for native DXVA is a huge breakthrough. Suddenly Radeon HD 6xxx including Llano revived. smile.gif

From what little I know, its seems great....for me smile.gif 6450


EDIT: definitely better performance, but still can't use Jinc....although I didn't expect that and I really am no expert. smile.gif
Edited by ser_renely - 11/25/12 at 6:20pm
post #1423 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Just noticed that, but it's greyed out for chroma upscaling.
So many choices now, what's best for what type of hardware?

Doesn't it come down to source? At least that is how I approach it. Everyone is different. smile.gif
post #1424 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

yea, specifically, pcm audio goes through the windows mixer.

Is there anyway to get around that? Use a different filter? If hat was the case what negatives would that give?


Plans to change that?
post #1425 of 2893
I've been using LAV for a long time but one thing I've never been sure of is deinterlacing. Do you have any of the boxes checked such as Aggressive Deinterlacing? And when should you use YADIF?
I generally have DVD rips and a couple BR rips.
post #1426 of 2893
Aggressive deinterlacing is usually only required on TV recordings, where the interlacing flags in the streams are sometimes rather screwed up.
YADIF shouldn't be needed on any modern system. It performs deinterlacing on the CPU, instead of leaving it up to the GPU. The GPU can do it faster and usually also in higher quality.

So in short, just leave it at defaults. YADIF off, aggressive off. Although turning aggressive on usually doesn't have any serious negative side-effects.
post #1427 of 2893
Thread Starter 
yea, there isn't much to worry about with deinterlacing.
If you use cuvid in lav video, your nvidia card will deinterlace when needed.
if you use yadif in lav video, your cpu will deinterlace when needed.
if you use neither, madvr will deinterlace with your gpu when needed.

you want to use your gpu ideally (cuvid or madvr), but if it is really slow, you can use yadif.
Edited by MlNDBOMB - 11/26/12 at 8:29am
post #1428 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser_renely View Post

Is there anyway to get around that? Use a different filter? If hat was the case what negatives would that give?
WASAPI Exclusive via Reclock will bypass the mixer.

If you use Windows 8, the mixer is very high quality though, operating in 32-bit floating-point and the new resampler is free of the aliasing problems Windows 7 and earlier had.
post #1429 of 2893
I also have AMD E-350, and with DXVA2 native, I can finally use madVR.
Set Bilinear for Chroma Upscaling, DXVA2 for everything else.

Whoever said that you can't spot difference between madVR and EVR-CP is lying:)
Maybe you can't see difference between still images, but motion in madVR is just...well, smooth:)
Edited by mtosic - 11/26/12 at 3:01pm
post #1430 of 2893
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

WASAPI Exclusive via Reclock will bypass the mixer.
If you use Windows 8, the mixer is very high quality though, operating in 32-bit floating-point and the new resampler is free of the aliasing problems Windows 7 and earlier had.

I thought windows 7 and windows vista also had really good mixers as well.
post #1431 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Support for native DXVA is a huge breakthrough. Suddenly Radeon HD 6xxx including Llano revived. smile.gif

Support where? In LAV or MadVR or??

EDIT: I guess the above is a response to this using the latest MadVR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

also should mention there is a new dxva scaler option as well for image scaling that is pretty fast.
If you couldn't use madvr before because it was too slow, there is a good chance you can now.

I dont' have Radeon but rather nVidia GT-430. Any change there or does the latest MadVR still need GTX-660? I haven't bothered to install it yet because I don't have the h/w for it.

Thanks.
post #1432 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Aggressive deinterlacing is usually only required on TV recordings, where the interlacing flags in the streams are sometimes rather screwed up.
YADIF shouldn't be needed on any modern system. It performs deinterlacing on the CPU, instead of leaving it up to the GPU. The GPU can do it faster and usually also in higher quality.
So in short, just leave it at defaults. YADIF off, aggressive off. Although turning aggressive on usually doesn't have any serious negative side-effects.

Just wondering if there's a way to force LAV Video and/or MadVR within WMC to do the deinterlacing. I'm sort of stuck using WMC for LiveTV with the limitations on CableCARD use only using WMC for CopyProtected Cable Content. Some stations I get have the 59/29 bug. I toggled off "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" in the nVidia Control Panel and it helped but there's still some flicker.
post #1433 of 2893
Hi,
I took the plunge and went thru with your instructions, btw I need to give you thumbs up on the clarity and detail of your instructions.
Unfortunately for me, when I was done, I would hear no actual audio but only a constant clack-clack-clack

Please note my HK 3490 is a stereo receiver, unable to decode digital surround

For now, I have reset MPC to default settings, is there somehting I need to do differently considering the above

video & audio are coming out of the pc thru a newly installed nvdia gpu hdmi out to tv, then audio goes from tv to receiver with optical
post #1434 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I dont' have Radeon but rather nVidia GT-430. Any change there or does the latest MadVR still need GTX-660? I haven't bothered to install it yet because I don't have the h/w for it.

The new version doesn't need more performance by itself. You can still run it on on your GPU as before. There is simply a new scaling option called "Jinc", which may look better then the others, but it also requires some more steam.
So if you have a good GPU, you can switch the scaling algorithm to Jinc and enjoy a better image, or if you have a somewhat low GPU, you can simply use it with whatever scaling you had configured before. Its an optional new feature, it doesn't require more performance unless you use it.
post #1435 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I dont' have Radeon but rather nVidia GT-430. Any change there or does the latest MadVR still need GTX-660? I haven't bothered to install it yet because I don't have the h/w for it.
Thanks.

AFAIK, GT-430 was always enough for madVR (because you could use CUVID instead of DXVA2 copy back which was needed for AMD cards and was significantly slower).
But now, when madVR supports DXVA2 native, you should really have no problems with madVR, it even works with AMD Zacate (E-350) which is alot faster then Zacate.
post #1436 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Just wondering if there's a way to force LAV Video and/or MadVR within WMC to do the deinterlacing. I'm sort of stuck using WMC for LiveTV with the limitations on CableCARD use only using WMC for CopyProtected Cable Content. Some stations I get have the 59/29 bug. I toggled off "Dynamic Contrast Enhancement" in the nVidia Control Panel and it helped but there's still some flicker.

In my experience you can from within Media Browser (just point it at the Recorded TV folder in setup) and you also need to add and block 'Stream Buffer source' in MPC-HC. Can't say I am impressed by the results though as I get a lot of jerkiness (1080i 50hz BBC HD). Support for .wtv seems limited which has always struck me as odd, unless I am missing something and not found the relevant thread here or on Doom9!
post #1437 of 2893
wtv is a closed format from Microsoft only used by WMC, why would it be odd that such a closed format is poorly supported, when there are many standardized formats which just make much more sense to focus your development efforts on? tongue.gif
post #1438 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Support where? In LAV or MadVR or??
EDIT: I guess the above is a response to this using the latest MadVR:
I dont' have Radeon but rather nVidia GT-430. Any change there or does the latest MadVR still need GTX-660? I haven't bothered to install it yet because I don't have the h/w for it.
Thanks.

It depends on the algorithm you choose.

- GT 430 - GTX 650: good for Lanczos+AR / any except for Jinc (Luma / Chroma)
- GTX 650 Ti: good for Jinc3+AR / Jinc3+AR (Luma / Chroma)
- GTX 660: good for Jinc4+AR / Jinc4+AR (Luma / Chroma)
post #1439 of 2893
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleh4help View Post

Hi,
I took the plunge and went thru with your instructions, btw I need to give you thumbs up on the clarity and detail of your instructions.
Unfortunately for me, when I was done, I would hear no actual audio but only a constant clack-clack-clack
Please note my HK 3490 is a stereo receiver, unable to decode digital surround
For now, I have reset MPC to default settings, is there somehting I need to do differently considering the above
video & audio are coming out of the pc thru a newly installed nvdia gpu hdmi out to tv, then audio goes from tv to receiver with optical

so, when you are setting up lav audio, under bitstreaming formats, don't check anything.
post #1440 of 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

wtv is a closed format from Microsoft only used by WMC, why would it be odd that such a closed format is poorly supported, when there are many standardized formats which just make much more sense to focus your development efforts on? tongue.gif
Actually, out of curiosity, I just went back and checked my MPC-HC + LAV + MadVR + Reclock setup and then ran through a selection of .wtv files (SD and HD UK recordings) and they all played perfectly via Media Browser. I recently upgraded the Nvidia card to a GTX650Ti from a GT430 because the latter was overheating on some BBC HD recorded content (usually 'Later with Jools Holland') so maybe it contributed to the stuttering. Had not got around to checking the .wtv files as I have been playing around with Jinc, which is great by the way. As for .wtv being a closed format, that is normally a red rag to a bull when it comes to developers! rolleyes.gif

The MSI GTX 650Ti is a superb video card in a HTPC as it runs almost totally silently because of its hybrid passive/active cooling system and it runs Jinc 3 without breaking into a sweat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide