or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 53

post #1561 of 2897
hello all, i have a question that's probably answered a ton of times already, but i will ask anyway due to everyone has a slightly different setup. i am trying to play a mkv file with dts sound using media player classic hc, and i know the internal dts filters are present; my denon 3313 avr audio is set to direct. i currently have my pc's video card (ASUS ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP) GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) connected to the avr via hdmi, the video card has dts-hd and truehd sound support, but the volume is so low when i turned it half way on the avr, pretty much no sound. i'm only getting two channel audio from other mkv files with ac3 sound as well, no 5.1. the video is looking great though, perhaps a little better than connected directly to my tv. any input on this? thanks in advance.
post #1562 of 2897
Put you mouse on the speaker icon at the bottom right of your display and see if it says 100% If not click on the speaker and raise the volume. If it says 100% you have eliminated this as the problem.

Right click on the speaker icon and see which playback device is selected. If it is the correct device see how it is configured.
post #1563 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Put you mouse on the speaker icon at the bottom right of your display and see if it says 100% If not click on the speaker and raise the volume. If it says 100% you have eliminated this as the problem.
Right click on the speaker icon and see which playback device is selected. If it is the correct device see how it is configured.
yes it reads 100%, it shows output to my denon avr. there are a few options of output devices, and i've tried them all with no avail. i have installed the k-lite codec full, x64 version as well, does it seem like i need to install some other codecs?
post #1564 of 2897
When you right clicked on the speaker icon and then clicked on your AVR as he playback device did you click on configure at the bottom left of the sound display. Did you enter the number of speakers you have? Did you run the test routine and did you hear a sound for each speaker?

If you play the radio in you AVR is the sound OK?

Have you checked your speaker wires?

Recheck your LAV splitter and LAV audio setup.
post #1565 of 2897
Something came up last night with my experimenting. I was trying different chroma and image upscaling options in MadVR using a DVD ripped to MKV. I had my display set for 1080p59 for these tests. I was monitoring the GPU usage and frame drops. So I decided on some settings that were good.

Just for giggles I set my display to 1080p23 and loaded a blu-ray rip. What I found was that the image upscaling (and chroma) options loaded down the GPU. When I had them set to bilinear my GPU usage was around 20%, but if I set the image upscaling to something like Lanczos or bicubic the GPU usage was up to 80%.
Does this seem right?

It seems to me that there should be no image upscaling at all because the source is 1080p and image upscaling should have no effect for these types of files. Why doesn't the program turn off the image upscaling in this case? Is there a setting I'm missing?

System info: i3-2105 with HD3000, using iGPU. MPC-HC/LAV filters/MadVR all latest versions.
post #1566 of 2897
Chroma always gets upscaled on 4:2:0 content (which is all commercial blu-rays and dvd's) even when watching a 1080p file on a 1080p screen, so the increased GPU usage when going from bilinear to something more demanding is normal.
Quote:
The process of scaling the color portions of an image to a lower resolution is called “subsampling,” and scaling the color back to the original resolution is called “upsampling.” Either one can also be called “resampling.” All of these operations are identical in practice to scaling the color channels, just like scaling an image from one pixel size to another. There are a variety of different resolutions that can be stored or sent, and we often think of these various color resolution options as a different color space. This isn’t strictly true, as technically speaking the color space remains the same no matter how the color channels are scaled, but it’s still relatively common to speak of changing color spaces when one is actually changing color subsampling modes.

The subsampling format that is used on modern consumer video delivery media like Blu-ray Disc and DVD is called 4:2:0. This confusing designation means that for every 4 Y’ pixels on the even scan lines, there will be 2 Cb and 2 Cr pixels and for every 4 Y’ pixels on the odd scan lines there will be 0 Cb and Cr pixels. If you work all that out, it really means that the Cb and Cr portions of the image are scaled by ½ in both dimensions. So if the resolution of the overall image is 1920x1080, for example, the Cb and Cr portions of the image will be at 960x540 resolution. In order to display an HD image that is stored in this format, the Cb and Cr channels need to be scaled back up to 1920x1080 by interpolating values for the missing pixels, and then each pixel can be converted to RGB using the Y’CbCr->RGB algorithm specified in BT.709.

source
post #1567 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Chroma always gets upscaled on 4:2:0 content (which is all commercial blu-rays and dvd's) even when watching a 1080p file on a 1080p screen, so the increased GPU usage when going from bilinear to something more demanding is normal.
source


Understood. But what about the image upscaling? I actually varied them independently and it was the image upscaling that had the largest impact on GPU usage, this was true for 1080p content as well as DVD rips. So, it seems that the image upscaling algorithms are utilized for 1080p files with a 1080p display.
post #1568 of 2897
If the source is a true 1080p and it's being displayed at 1080p (meaning your display is correctly set to 1920x1080) then image upscaling should have no impact on GPU usage unless something is broken with latest madvr build.

Test by setting all at bilinear (chroma, image upscale, image downscale). Then change just the image upscale to say jinc3 with Antiringing enabled and see if the gpu usage changes. It should not if the above applies.
post #1569 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moschella View Post

Understood. But what about the image upscaling? I actually varied them independently and it was the image upscaling that had the largest impact on GPU usage, this was true for 1080p content as well as DVD rips. So, it seems that the image upscaling algorithms are utilized for 1080p files with a 1080p display.

Also check the target rectangle size in the diagnostics. Bring it up with Ctrl-J

If it is not 1920x1080 then your are doing some scaling.

What GPU are you using?
post #1570 of 2897
Why dosen't this setup following this guide allow h264 decoding aceleration of MP4 files with quicksynch ?

post #1571 of 2897
Why does MPC-HC go out of synch when playing a DVD as soon as full screen is invoked?

I am not sure where to look for a solution.

I have a Nvidia GT440 Cuvid setup but it is assisted by an Intel HD 4000 using Virtu MVP.

i can play DVDs OK with PowerDVD 11 and 7MC. And I can play Blu-ray and .mkv in fullscreen with MPC-HC.

But with DVDs in fullscreen the video slows down and the audio loses syncy
post #1572 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Also check the target rectangle size in the diagnostics. Bring it up with Ctrl-J
If it is not 1920x1080 then your are doing some scaling.
What GPU are you using?

I re-did my tests, but this time more carefully. It turns out that only the chroma control affects the GPU usage (intel HD3000). On my machine it can be pretty significant. Image upscaling has no effect on 1080p material as it should.
post #1573 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moschella View Post

I re-did my tests, but this time more carefully. It turns out that only the chroma control affects the GPU usage (intel HD3000). On my machine it can be pretty significant. Image upscaling has no effect on 1080p material as it should.

You will do OK if you pick a less computationally intensive algorithm such as Mitchell-Netravalli or Catmull-Rom for the chroma upscaling.
post #1574 of 2897
so i was able to play most of my mkv collection fine, video and audio with no problems, but there are a few that have audio and video stutters, any reason to this? i have tried using another player for those mkv files, and they were fine-except that the audio wasn't 5.1, so i still prefer to play them with mpc-hc.
post #1575 of 2897
**Any help is appreciated on this.

When I right-click on the LAV splitter, I always see approx. 1510 Kbps bitrate for DTS-MA even though my receiver always properly shows the bitstreaming. Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't display what the bitrate received is so I have no way of knowing.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've tested on mkv's that definitely have around 3000 Kbps bitrate for the audio stream but mpc-hc just won't display it.

It does fortunately say 48000 Hz and sometimes 96000 Hz for the sampling frequency, but never a higher bitrate than around 1.5 Mbps. And I have followed the instructions in this thread to the tee.
Edited by CoryW - 1/8/13 at 11:29am
post #1576 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post

so i was able to play most of my mkv collection fine, video and audio with no problems, but there are a few that have audio and video stutters, any reason to this? i have tried using another player for those mkv files, and they were fine-except that the audio wasn't 5.1, so i still prefer to play them with mpc-hc.

Did you try to re rip one of the problem DVDs?

Also another option is run the problematic MKV thru handbrake to see if that helps out at all.
post #1577 of 2897
I'm willing to take the dive into mpc-hc, but is it going to give better quality out of my HTPC?

I have an 82" and it could always use a little help with image quality on things other than Blu-Ray

Edit: typo
Edited by AnthonyB - 1/8/13 at 2:40pm
post #1578 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

I'm willing to take the dive into mpc-hc, but is it going to give better quality out of my HTPC?
I have an 82" and it could always use a little help with meter image quality on things other than Blu-Ray
I would say it is worth every minute/hour you put into it. The image quality difference in my opinion is drastic with this setup... even with blu-ray! I do everything the OP says along with using the sharpening 2 complex shader that mpc-hc offers. And for MadVR, I use the sharpest settings that my i5 can handle. I have had friends say it is what they perceive 4K to look like. Of course, this is just an opinion but I highly recommend it.
post #1579 of 2897
Should I recalibrate with AVS709 after?
post #1580 of 2897
How are you turning sharpness settings up? Not exactly sure where to do it.
post #1581 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

How are you turning sharpness settings up? Not exactly sure where to do it.
It is under "Shaders". First, you enable pre-pixel shaders. Then, you select the Sharpen 2 Complex if desired (that's my favorite).

And recalibration can never hurt!
post #1582 of 2897
Thank you man.

Any other processing options in madvr?

How about any other favorite shaders?

I see what you are talking about, that shader made the picture really sharp.
Edited by AnthonyB - 1/9/13 at 3:19pm
post #1583 of 2897
Glad to hear it! Well, my preferred MadVR settings are:

Chroma upscaling: Lanczos - 8 taps - activate anti-ringing filter
Image upscaling: Lanczos - 4 taps - activate anti-ringing filter
Image downscaling: Lanczos - 4 taps - activate anti-ringing filter and scale in linear light
General settings: enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode (can't remember if this one is defaulted to checked)

Nothing else in MPC-HC. That's the only shader I like.
post #1584 of 2897
Wonder if my e6600 can handle that, lol. Thanks for the help.. Wish I could figure out why the add-in for windows media center doesn't work, but this was more reward than it was work..

Edit: Almost handled it.. Too much ringing and slow-mo

Thankfully, I had a lot of experience with ffdshow and this was a lot simpler
Edited by AnthonyB - 1/10/13 at 6:31am
post #1585 of 2897
Guys need your help! My setup is: PC (GTX 550Ti - 1.4hdmi) - > AVR Pioneer VSX-422 and problem is I cant bitstream DTS HD or DD True HD (just HD types), everything else is working (like DTS, DD, etc.)

When playing some DTS HD file, AVR indicates DTS HD mode (on display), but no sound. This is via MPC, but when I play this file with power dvd 12, I get DTS HD sound (dont want to use powerdvd, because of lack subtitle support) - so I should not be hardware issue. Both AVR and GTX550Ti support TRUE HD audio. Any ideas why is it not working in MPC? frown.gif
post #1586 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBongo View Post

Guys need your help! My setup is: PC (GTX 550Ti - 1.4hdmi) - > AVR Pioneer VSX-422 and problem is I cant bitstream DTS HD or DD True HD (just HD types), everything else is working (like DTS, DD, etc.)

When playing some DTS HD file, AVR indicates DTS HD mode (on display), but no sound. This is via MPC, but when I play this file with power dvd 12, I get DTS HD sound (dont want to use powerdvd, because of lack subtitle support) - so I should not be hardware issue. Both AVR and GTX550Ti support TRUE HD audio. Any ideas why is it not working in MPC? frown.gif
Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?
post #1587 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post

Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

Yes I do, not the case, but I made it working - solution was, I had a modified resolution of 1080p with 60 Hz, and It has to be set up to 50 Hz, so after three hours of trying problem solved rolleyes.gif
post #1588 of 2897
Problem:
Whenever I turn off my projector bit streaming stops working. I get no audio in files, but VLC and PCM still have sound. The only workaround is to disable HDMI output in Nvidia control panel, hit apply, then re-enable it. This is driving me insane.

Setup:
3 displays, two computer monitors (all three running 60hz) and one 1080P Benq Projector connected through Pioneer 1019 AVR.
Windows 8 (also happens in Windows 7)
Current nvidia drivers and MPC-HC config from this thread.

Any suggestions?
post #1589 of 2897
This is the MPC-HC thread but you are using VLC?
post #1590 of 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Why does MPC-HC go out of synch when playing a DVD as soon as full screen is invoked?

I am not sure where to look for a solution.

I have a Nvidia GT440 Cuvid setup but it is assisted by an Intel HD 4000 using Virtu MVP.

i can play DVDs OK with PowerDVD 11 and 7MC. And I can play Blu-ray and .mkv in fullscreen with MPC-HC.

But with DVDs in fullscreen the video slows down and the audio loses syncy

I solved my DVD playback problems by adding the ffdshow video decoder as an external filter under the LAV video and audio decoders and the LAV splitter and blocking haali. DVDs play using the LAV video decoder. But apparently what I needed and am getting from ffdshow is the DVD Navigator. This setup use to be in the instructions on page one of this thread and for me is still necessary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide