or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 60

post #1771 of 2912
Hi all,

I asked this question in the 2.35 CIH forum but haven't received a response yet. Hope some of you may know the answer. I am looking at getting an anamorphic screen, 2.35/2.40, and want to feed the projector, Sony HW50ES all of my uncompressed MKVs via my HTPC. Since the Sony HW50ES doesn't have a Lens Memory feature, my only options are an anamorphic lens or manual zoom. I'd love to get an anamorphic lens but currently it won't work in my setup. I'd also like to avoid having to use the manual zoom.

Has anyone tried the following setup? HTPC via MPC-HC with its Zoom function set to Ultra Widescreen for anamorphic content.

Does anyone use this specific Zoom function for anamorphic content?
If so, is the scaling high quality?
Does it scale to 2.35/2.40 bit by bit or is their overscan?
Does it cut out content?
Do you lose brightness?
How does the quality compare to a Panamorph or Lumagen Mini 3D?

I really appreciate the help.
post #1772 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabuk View Post

Hi all,

I asked this question in the 2.35 CIH forum but haven't received a response yet. Hope some of you may know the answer. I am looking at getting an anamorphic screen, 2.35/2.40, and want to feed the projector, Sony HW50ES all of my uncompressed MKVs via my HTPC. Since the Sony HW50ES doesn't have a Lens Memory feature, my only options are an anamorphic lens or manual zoom. I'd love to get an anamorphic lens but currently it won't work in my setup. I'd also like to avoid having to use the manual zoom.

Has anyone tried the following setup? HTPC via MPC-HC with its Zoom function set to Ultra Widescreen for anamorphic content.

Does anyone use this specific Zoom function for anamorphic content?
If so, is the scaling high quality?
Does it scale to 2.35/2.40 bit by bit or is their overscan?
Does it cut out content?
Do you lose brightness?
How does the quality compare to a Panamorph or Lumagen Mini 3D?

I really appreciate the help.

Great question, I have been looking for a similar capability as well! I also have a "scope" screen, but I do have lens memory, and it works just fine for most things. However I have been curious if there was a way on my HTPC to do what the Lumagen does as far as "forcing" content to widescreen. For movies like TDK, Tron, TDKR, etc. which have multiple aspect ratios, I'd like to force it to be widescreen for the whole movie. It seems like my PC would have much more processing power than a Lumagen does, and I'd much rather have the PC crop the non-scope portions of the film rather than spill the image outside of my screen borders. Because of how those movies change, re-zooming during the film is silly and distracting.
post #1773 of 2912
This is a question about mapping logitech harmony remote keys in MPC-HC. I cannot move around in the root menu using arrow keys nor can I select with the enter key.

However, I can skip forward in a movie that is playing and the exit key work, so, the problem is only in the root menu choices.

I am set up with madVR and LAV filters. The DVD navigator is showing among the filters when playing a movie.

Can anyone suggest a solution
post #1774 of 2912
i bought a Nvidia GT640 so I could try to get 24FPS or 23.976.... however it is still not working. Using MPC-HC pressing CTRL-J no longer gives me the stats .....

I am using re-clock and think I have everything set up correct.... can anyone suggest where I should look?
post #1775 of 2912
The stats come from madVR. Try uninstalling it and also upgrade to the latest version .068x while you are at it.
post #1776 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

The stats come from madVR. Try uninstalling it and also upgrade to the latest version .068x while you are at it.

0.86.1
post #1777 of 2912
My logitech remote arrow keys do not move through DVD and DVD iso root menu choices and I am not sure that I can find the correct fix under Options-player-keys.

I start DVDs from 7MC movie library using a fix that allows me to select mpc-hc as the player.

I may have not noticed this before because I previously only used mpc-hc only for .mkv which does not have menus. But the remotes arrow key definitely work for media browser and I do remember they worked when I used ffdshow video filter to bring up the DVD navigator.

Is there a good guide for setting up keys in MPC_HC?
post #1778 of 2912
It's been a while since I tried this. I can definitely see an improvement when I use these filters, but my computer jumps from 90 watts during playback to 115. I'm on the fence about whether it's worth it :P
post #1779 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

It's been a while since I tried this. I can definitely see an improvement when I use these filters, but my computer jumps from 90 watts during playback to 115. I'm on the fence about whether it's worth it :P
Why not, 25 watts makes a real small mark on you bill, and you don't watch movies 24/7...
post #1780 of 2912
damn I just noticed VLC only uses about 60 watts playing stuff. if I enable hardware gpu decoding it goes up to about 80. in mpc hc if I disable dxva I use about 65 watts. 85 with dxva, about 115 with madvr and lavfilters and dxva2 native enabled. It's so weird to see higher power use with gpu decoding modes enabled. I noticed without the gpu decoding I use about 7% cpu playing 1080p mkvs but with it enabled it's only like 2-4%. I'm kind of a low wattage enthusiast so I think I have to use vlc now frown.gif amd 7870 video card fyi
edit: so if I was on a laptop using the battery vlc would be the logical choice
Edited by uncola - 2/28/13 at 8:05pm
post #1781 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

damn I just noticed VLC only uses about 60 watts playing stuff. if I enable hardware gpu decoding it goes up to about 80. in mpc hc if I disable dxva I use about 65 watts. 85 with dxva, about 115 with madvr and lavfilters and dxva2 native enabled. It's so weird to see higher power use with gpu decoding modes enabled. I noticed without the gpu decoding I use about 7% cpu playing 1080p mkvs but with it enabled it's only like 2-4%. I'm kind of a low wattage enthusiast so I think I have to use vlc now frown.gif amd 7870 video card fyi
edit: so if I was on a laptop using the battery vlc would be the logical choice
Why is it so important to you? 115 watts is much lower than my GTX 480... tongue.gif
post #1782 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

0.86.1

thanks, I installed 86.1 and setup everything.

i notice a big improvement. before reclock and madvr i had a dropped frame every 5-10 seconds.

now when i check the stats in ctrl-j it is 3 days it bounces around but its hours or days.

I have played around with a lot of the settings, i notice that the best results are when i change the nvidia control panel settings to 60 HZ vs 23 or 24 HZ. does that seem correct? i have a Panasonic plasma ST30 series. i read you should match the nvidia control panel to the refresh of the tv display.

when i look at the madvr stats it says display composition 60HZ...etc.


One strange one that I cant understand is with the audio. If i click "accept Bitstream formats" I hear no sound on the RCVR... when it is clicked off I have the full audio... But what is interesting is that if I put my yammy rcrv in pure direct it sounds just like if I click "sur. decode" so this tells me the HTPC sotware is decoding the audio?

and also now my powerdvd will not work... so maybe it needs to be re-installed ? it hangs up when i try to open up a remote ISO file and stats it can't locate the destination folder... yadda yadda...
post #1783 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

damn I just noticed VLC only uses about 60 watts playing stuff. if I enable hardware gpu decoding it goes up to about 80. in mpc hc if I disable dxva I use about 65 watts. 85 with dxva, about 115 with madvr and lavfilters and dxva2 native enabled. It's so weird to see higher power use with gpu decoding modes enabled. I noticed without the gpu decoding I use about 7% cpu playing 1080p mkvs but with it enabled it's only like 2-4%. I'm kind of a low wattage enthusiast so I think I have to use vlc now frown.gif amd 7870 video card fyi
edit: so if I was on a laptop using the battery vlc would be the logical choice

For an A/C powered HTPC, I'd chose quality over power usage every single time but for mobile playback on a laptop saving battery life is a good idea, especially since it is, what, a 17" screen at best? In the grand scheme of things though, I'm pretty sure the display itself zaps 90% or better of the battery usage on a laptop but saving a bit of power could mean the difference between seeing the last couple minutes of the movie or not..
post #1784 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris View Post

thanks, I installed 86.1 and setup everything.

i notice a big improvement. before reclock and madvr i had a dropped frame every 5-10 seconds.

now when i check the stats in ctrl-j it is 3 days it bounces around but its hours or days.

I have played around with a lot of the settings, i notice that the best results are when i change the nvidia control panel settings to 60 HZ vs 23 or 24 HZ. does that seem correct? i have a Panasonic plasma ST30 series. i read you should match the nvidia control panel to the refresh of the tv display.

when i look at the madvr stats it says display composition 60HZ...etc.


One strange one that I cant understand is with the audio. If i click "accept Bitstream formats" I hear no sound on the RCVR... when it is clicked off I have the full audio... But what is interesting is that if I put my yammy rcrv in pure direct it sounds just like if I click "sur. decode" so this tells me the HTPC sotware is decoding the audio?

and also now my powerdvd will not work... so maybe it needs to be re-installed ? it hangs up when i try to open up a remote ISO file and stats it can't locate the destination folder... yadda yadda...

Where did you click this? Just use what works and sounds the best to you.
post #1785 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Where did you click this? Just use what works and sounds the best to you.

this setting is in the reclock set up...

the issue is that I am having audio drop outs that i can hear and they also count on the reclock stats....

if I lock the speed i have frame drops every 2 minutes and no audio drops. if I untick the lock...my frame drops are in the 3 days range but then i start dropping audio if couple minutes,,,,
post #1786 of 2912
Hi friends,

I have a little problem with MPC-HC and MADVR.

First the HW:
- AMD Athlon II X2 250
- 2Gb RAM
- AMD RADEON HD 6450
- TV SONY 40 "EX721

The problem is this, for a long time had configured MPC-HC with EVR-CP with the recommended settings in this and other forums. The fact is that reproduction in 1080 and 720 was not entirely smooth small was "hopping" every few seconds and tearing.

I saw the possibility to configure MPC-HC with Madvr and follow the steps in this post

Playback quality increased a lot clearer now I see and I haven't tearing. But, there is always a but, now I have a huge problem of ghosting. In when there is a scene with a small traveling see a trail in the image.

I tried all possible configurations of MADVR and always I have the same problem and if I choose other filter systems for then go back to the hopping and cuts.

Any suggestions?
post #1787 of 2912
Are DVD menus working with ATI cards and DXVA-Native in LAV Video?

The reason I ask is that I just upgraded from a Nvidia GT440 to a Sapphire Vapor-X 7770. I can now play all my videos with the best quality settings in MadVR with DXVA-Native but am losing the ability to navigate DVD menus. With DXVA-Copy Back, this functionality is restored, but this puts too much demand on my motherboard/CPU/memory when playing 1080i/60 videos.

Interestingly, 1080i/50 videos and film work great as do 720p/60.

I've explored what I could do with MadVR, MPC-HC and the LAV filters to make DXVA-Native work with DVDs (without compromising quality), but haven't been successful.

I presume DXVA-CB is too demanding on my aging e2180/P45/DDR2 setup and wish there were an equivalent to CUVID with ATI cards, but that's another story.
post #1788 of 2912
In my experience DVD menus are not currently working with my Harmony 720 remote. However, they will work with a mouse and keyboard. I doubt the problem is you GPU, CPU, motherboard or memory. I am running an I5 3570K with HD 4000, a Radeon 7770 and 8GB or 2400 memory and using LAV, madVR and Jinc 3+ AR. I think the problem is with keys in MPC-HC
post #1789 of 2912
Anyone come across a problem with two instances of Reclock running in one film?

The movie has two tracks - native language and commentary - but when I play it I get a warning message saying "ReclockInitaialise WasapiClient" and "The audio device is in use by another client". Two Reclock icons appear although the movie seems to play correctly and I can select the required track. I just can't figure out how to stop it or is this an effect of having two audio tracks?

Not sure if it is related but when I tried to run Graphstudio I get an error message 'Unable to render file'.
post #1790 of 2912
Can anyone help me in this issue?

MadVR always works fine here in DXVA or software but with this last version released I have drop frames, using the same settings I used to :/


Settings I use in MadVR:

Chroma upscaling - SoftCubic 100

Image upscaling - Lanczos 4 taps with anti-ringing

Image Downscaling - Lanczos 4 taps with anti-ringing


My PC:

Phenom II X4 @3.8 GHz
4 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHz
VGA ATI HD 5750 1GB
post #1791 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

Are DVD menus working with ATI cards and DXVA-Native in LAV Video?

The reason I ask is that I just upgraded from a Nvidia GT440 to a Sapphire Vapor-X 7770. I can now play all my videos with the best quality settings in MadVR with DXVA-Native but am losing the ability to navigate DVD menus. With DXVA-Copy Back, this functionality is restored, but this puts too much demand on my motherboard/CPU/memory when playing 1080i/60 videos.

Interestingly, 1080i/50 videos and film work great as do 720p/60.

I've explored what I could do with MadVR, MPC-HC and the LAV filters to make DXVA-Native work with DVDs (without compromising quality), but haven't been successful.

I presume DXVA-CB is too demanding on my aging e2180/P45/DDR2 setup and wish there were an equivalent to CUVID with ATI cards, but that's another story.

Sorry, I don't watch DVD With the computer.



Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2
post #1792 of 2912
I have a problem with AC3 lossy audio inside the mkv file. ReClock does not say "WASAPI Exclusive (bit exact)", it just says "WASAPI Exclusive". When I play a BD remux for example, I do get the "bit exact". I have followed this guide. Thanks.
post #1793 of 2912
Always wondered about transform filters in MPC-HC. Should I enable them or not? I have them all disabled and everything seems to be working. I've been running it that way for awhile. I guess if it works don't fix it so what am I missing out on by having them off?
post #1794 of 2912
This may not be the right thread for my problem, but it started when following the guide.

For quite a while I have just been using an i3 integrated graphics and TMT5 with ~pretty decent results. Very stable, very basic. I wanted to give MPC-HC with MadVr, LAV, a try to improve the picture quality. I replaced the i3 with an i7 and installed an HD 7770 last week. Cat 13.1 installed with no problem. Immediate improvement. I was following this guide, setting up the software using my office monitors before connecting to my projector. Added display modes 1080p24, 1080p23, 1080p59, 1080p60 in display modes madVR may switch to. Rebooted when promted. This is where the problem began. I am not sure what’s relevant, so I’ll include all events and everything I have noticed since. Upon restart, nothing. Monitor doesn’t recognize a signal at all. The HD 7770 and cpu fans spin, but just a blank screen, no post, no windows. I connect the HDMI to the motherboard and I get into windows, but the intel drivers are now crippled. No HD graphics control center, actually, don’t even think it’s running the intel drivers, but just the default windows driver. Uninstalled all Cat and intel drivers, used a driver cleaner, etc. Nothing. Windows wanted to update WEI, went from 7.7 to 1.0, no aero effects, no control center in system tray. I have an older HD 6570 I placed in the x16 slot, same results. Placed it in the x8 slot, same results. System restore did nothing. Went back to motherboard HDMI to get into windows, but no graphics driver will run. It will install, but will not run. I do not think the HD 7770 is bad as my old card produced the same results. Any ideas? Thanks for any assistance..


Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Samsung 840 Pro
i7 3770K
Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X
8GB DDR3 1866
post #1795 of 2912
I'm trying to follow this guide but madVR still shows as unavailable. Does it only work for 32bit systems? Cause i'm running Win 8 x64 with mpc x64.
post #1796 of 2912
What shows madVR as unavailable? Did you register it? Don't move the location of the file after registering it. It works in 64 bit systems BTW.
post #1797 of 2912
I was under the impression it worked on a 64 bit OS, but not the 64 bit version of MPC.
post #1798 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

I was under the impression it worked on a 64 bit OS, but not the 64 bit version of MPC.

I believe this to be correct too.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide#post_20886772
post #1799 of 2912
Thanx guys but i really like using the x64 version of mpc. Isn't there any way to make madVR work with c64 instances?

Besides that, i got an intel GPU. Is it better to use quicksync, or DXVA2? Cause i can use both, but don't know which ones better.

Also in order to use the LAV decoders, do i have to turn of transform filters as well, on internal filters?
post #1800 of 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock003 View Post

Thanx guys but i really like using the x64 version of mpc. Isn't there any way to make madVR work with c64 instances?
No, none. Its only available in 32-bit, so thats what you have to use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide