or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MY HT 2nd time around... - Page 2

post #31 of 71
I'm sure it wobbles badly until there's drywall applied...
post #32 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

I have now decided to go with 2x8 for the riser with 2x5/8 OSB with green glue in between filled with sand of course.
That will leave me 6'2" approx from riser to bottom of soffit.
I guess I have no choice cause I want the 2nd row to enjoy the movie experience too.

Thanks all for the help and advice

I had a similar concern in my theater with the necessary riser height for the rear row putting it too close to the ceiling. I worked around this by building the main riser with 2"x12"s (in my case) and then just under the seating on the riser another 2"x4" riser. A similar strategy could help you by raising the seating to the requisite height, but keeping the walk way lower.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Ted, usually the top plate of a stud wall is screwed in`fixed at every joist no? Now you are saying to attach the top plate onto the IB3 clip at every 3rd joist. Will this be strong enough for the wall? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly?

You should have no problems at all. I used DC-04 clips in my build (very similar to the IB3's), and my walls are really strong. With the clips attached to the joists above and the bottom plate hammered into the floor with concrete nails, the entire structure is very strong with no wobble at all.

The big benefit is that there is very little sound energy transferred from the wall to the joists above. I highly recommend this setup!
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcazretsof View Post

I had a similar concern in my theater with the necessary riser height for the rear row putting it too close to the ceiling. I worked around this by building the main riser with 2"x12"s (in my case) and then just under the seating on the riser another 2"x4" riser. A similar strategy could help you by raising the seating to the requisite height, but keeping the walk way lower.

What about just bulding a mini-riser under the seating to raise the chairs up a bit? The floor will stay the same height, but the seats will sit up a bit higher. Michael (Cathan) used this in his build. Look up the Flaming Oak Cinema in this forum for info.
post #35 of 71
What if there is only 1 piece of drywall and not 2 with GG? This wall of mine is a stud wall in front of a concrete wall therefore already decoupled.
post #36 of 71
Carboranadum and/or Ted, My stud wall will not be fixed into the concrete floor, it will go into a sub floor that was already built from a long time ago. I didn't want to rip it out because it was leveled so perfectly and there was no real reason to redo this. Therefore my stud wall will rest on the sub floor (which in turn is fixed into the concrete floor), so bottom plate will be fixed through the plywood and into 2x3 stud that makes up the sub floor.
post #37 of 71
Shouldn't be any different whether you are anchoring the wall into concrete or a wood subfloor. I am planning to use the IB-3 clips for my walls as well. I just finished laying a foam and plywood subfloor. The plan is just to nail the wall into the plywood like you would if you were building a house. I spent a little extra time laying out the subfloor under everything to hopefully save myself more time later standing walls since I'll be able to just fire away with the nail gun.
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

What if there is only 1 piece of drywall and not 2 with GG?

If you cut a hole in this wall, stuck your head in there and looked up, you'd be looking at the joists overhead. We're trying very hard to keep sound from entering the original framing.

Attaching the walls to the wood subfloor is fine.
post #39 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Shouldn't be any different whether you are anchoring the wall into concrete or a wood subfloor. I am planning to use the IB-3 clips for my walls as well. I just finished laying a foam and plywood subfloor. The plan is just to nail the wall into the plywood like you would if you were building a house. I spent a little extra time laying out the subfloor under everything to hopefully save myself more time later standing walls since I'll be able to just fire away with the nail gun.

^^^^ Yep. What he said! ^^^^^
post #40 of 71
So if I understand you correctly Ted, you're saying no need for a top plate at all then? Sounds weird, never heard anyone suggest such a concept. But I do trust in your experience and knowledge.
post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

So if I understand you correctly Ted, you're saying no need for a top plate at all then? Sounds weird, never heard anyone suggest such a concept. But I do trust in your experience and knowledge.

No, you NEED a top plate. It is just that the top plate is connected to the joists above with the clips. Ted has a diagram that will help you understand the wall structure.
post #42 of 71
OK, I am starting to get what he meant. But if that is the case, even if we had the top plate right up against the joists and cut a hole in the wall and stuck our head in, we would still see the joists anyways.
post #43 of 71
That's why we decouple the walls and apply double 5/8" drywall. That gives the mass needed to reduce the sound from entering that wall cavity in the first place
post #44 of 71
Thanks Ted, but if this wall has a concrete wall behind it, do I still need to use DDW and GG? I'm not too worried about sound escaping the house to the outside very much. I'm more concerned with preventing noise travelling upstairs.
post #45 of 71
See post #38 above. If the walls are light the sound will pass through them easily, and head straight up into the joists. Flanking right around your nice ceiling.

This is an IB3
post #46 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Hey Fatshaft, I just came upon your thread and it is of interest cause I also live in Montreal (well Laval actually) and I too am looking to build a HT in my newly stripped basement. My home is a 1961 construction therefore just about the same age as yours.

Please let me know how everything is going with your build as I would be very interested to hear your steps and various obstacles. I am looking to start slowly. I will be working on the bathroom/laundry room first before tackling the home theater but I too would like to do a good soundproofing job if possible.

Regards

Hi there Mr. Laval...I'm on the south shore of Montreal.
Hope your project goes well. If I can help in anyway, just let me know.
post #47 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

What about just bulding a mini-riser under the seating to raise the chairs up a bit? The floor will stay the same height, but the seats will sit up a bit higher. Michael (Cathan) used this in his build. Look up the Flaming Oak Cinema in this forum for info.

Guys,

This is brilliant!!!
What I'm going to do is add some hockey pucks or something under the seats instead of building another mini riser as my seats are getting old and may need to change them later on.

Wouldn't want to build a mini riser only to redo-it because of an upgrade in seats or something.

God dam it this place has some great ideas!!!!!
There's no way in hell I could've done any of this without seeing what you pros have done.

Thanks all

PS. Ted, thanks for all the help you and John have given me the past few months!!! You guys are the best!!!
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Thanks Ted, but if this wall has a concrete wall behind it, do I still need to use DDW and GG? I'm not too worried about sound escaping the house to the outside very much. I'm more concerned with preventing noise traveling upstairs.

You need to realize that sound doesn't travel in a straight line, once it gets out of a flimsy side wall it will travel upstairs. It will also travel via any shared HVAC ducts.
post #49 of 71
Thread Starter 
A little more progress this weekend.
I'm so tired...this is tough work and this is supposedly the easy stuff!

Riser done" Using 2x8
It measures 14'x5'10"x8"


Stage done. Using 2x6
Measures 14'x32"x6"


They will be filled with play sand by next weekend.
I have NO IDEA how much sand I need. Anyway to know?

I guess next will be doing the columns...still thinking what exactly I'll be doing.
Right now I'm thinking a small one on the Stage (4"x10")

Side columns will be (8"x16")

Rear columns will be (8'x16") but only 1 to 2 feet down from the soffit.
Just don't have enough room.
post #50 of 71
Thread Starter 
I started to fill my stage and riser...

Boy is it hard to find play sand here in Montreal!
This has been the biggest hurdle for me so far. Everyone has their sand stored outside full of snow and frozen to death.
I purchased the ONLY play sand I could find ( it's called Beach sand)
I bought 5 bags and could not even bend the bags cause they were frozen SOLID!
It took about 3 days to dry with a dehumidifier going and it was reading 39% in my room.
Yes it's very dry in my basement in winter.



Now knowing that this would take about 15 years to complete,
I then went back to the same place (Rona Entrepot) and bought some industrial "DRY" sand. Yes, yes I know about the cancer stuff...
I bought 12 bags and could only fill 2 columns in my Riser.
I cannot believe how many bags I will need. approx 90 bags.


SO I went back again and bought a Pallet of this same sand as it is bone dry and it was extremely easy to fill and work with!

That's an additional 63 bags and will probably have to go buy more.

Objective is to have both the riser and stage filled by this weekend.

My back is going to kill me this weekend.

Regards,
post #51 of 71
Sand in the riser? I forgot you plan on subs on the riser.
post #52 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Sand in the riser? I forgot you plan on subs on the riser.

That's correct Big.
I have 4x 15" subs that will go on the Riser. 2 per corner.
I'm putting 3 layers of 1/2" osb with GG in between...Is this enough?

Thanks
post #53 of 71
Thread Starter 
I need some help please...

I have finished installing all the sand in the riser and have applied my first layer of 1/2" OBD (3 pieces)
I have 8 tubes of GG left and would like to utilize it to it's max.
I don't think I have enough to do the stage and riser...UNLESS!

I ONLY put 2 layers of 1/2" OSB on the riser and use 5 tubes of GG in between the OSB.
IS 2x 1/2" OSB enough?

I'll then use 3 tubes of GG for the stage which uses 2x 1/2" OSB.

Does this make sense to do?

Thanks
post #54 of 71
Thread Starter 
Well it's been a while but I have made more progress.
I know, I know...pictures...here it is.

Stage and riser complete.



From corner angle



With carpet installed



Rear subs in place and a little more black paint for now.
Waiting on fabric to do all the panels


Front stage speakers and subs in place


And the rest of equipment in (Chairs etc...)

post #55 of 71
Thread Starter 
I will be staining the 8x panels this weekend and have a pro coming to show me how to do it. (I have never stained wood before)

Already watched a movie in it and boy does it feel good!!!

Can't wait to finish.
I have lots of panels to do and to apply acoustic but have no idea how or what to do

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks
post #56 of 71
Nice to hear from you. I like the colors. Glad you're still progressing.
post #57 of 71
Thread Starter 
Thanks Ted,

Also thanks for all your help!!!

Still lots to do but at a snail pace
post #58 of 71
Im planning on having a sub on my riser also. Behind the rear row of seating. Did you fill your entire riser with sand, or only the chambers below where your subs sit?
post #59 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer64 View Post

Im planning on having a sub on my riser also. Behind the rear row of seating. Did you fill your entire riser with sand, or only the chambers below where your subs sit?

The complete riser is filled with sand! It's worth it, for me anyways cause I'm planing on adding more subs in the future. (more or stronger subs)
It's amazing the feeling just walking on it. It feels harder than cement...it's weird!

The stage is also filled with sand completely. I used 3 tons of sand.
post #60 of 71
Thread Starter 
This weekend I finished the side panels (All 8)
I stained them and varnished them all.

A couple of pics to show what they look like.
Still have all the Side acoustical panels to do.





Soo much more to do and very little energy left. My biggest hurdle is doing the acoustic stuff right...ah well eventually.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home