or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread - Page 35

post #1021 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerB31 View Post

I'll have to check this out. It's an HP laptop but the HDMI playback device was disabled under the general sound settings but when I enabled it the sound still played through the laptop. I'm not sure what I can change through the onboard graphics but I'll take a look.

Where you enabled it in the Sound Settings, right-click it again and make sure it's also set as the default device.
post #1022 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

What do the klipsch sound like when you put the 2010 in pure direct mode? There's always the Denon 3312 or 4311 as an option for you.

I have decided to stick with Yamaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindrian View Post

To expand the issue. My PC monitor is connected to my GPU aswell. When I turn the TV on, the PC monitor goes black, flickers a bit and then return to normal as the TV turns on. This is also quite weird as the TV is configured as an extended display. If I were to not go through the receiver the TV would turn on normally and the regular PC display would not have been affected.



I have tried that and played around with those settings. No change.

---
EDIT
When I turn the TV ON, the "HDMI" light stays on but this is how it goes.
TV OFF: "IN" lights up, rest is black.
TV ON: "IN" goes black, "OUT1" lights up then "IN" lights up again.
"OUT1" flashes once then and thats it.

I tried OUT2, same thing.

When I turn the TV OFF after it has been ON, the entire HDMI-logo and IN/OUT turns OFF entirely, then "HDMI" and "IN" lights up and I get sound/picture.

Still my issue
post #1023 of 2855
Really nobody knows how to make A810 turn on when TV goes on?

Previously I've had Onkyo which worked that way without trouble...
post #1024 of 2855
Im thinking of buying a 1010 this weekend. I am guessing with the iPad app you can scroll through a list of folders containing music on your dlna server? Can you get album art somehow? Does access to iPod music in the Yamaha iPod doc work the same way? How convenient is access to your music collection compared with other avrs?
If anyone has answers I would be most grateful. I've downloaded the app and run the demo but a bit hard to envisage how it would work...
post #1025 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis View Post

Im thinking of buying a 1010 this weekend. I am guessing with the iPad app you can scroll through a list of folders containing music on your dlna server? Can you get album art somehow? Does access to iPod music in the Yamaha iPod doc work the same way? How convenient is access to your music collection compared with other avrs?
If anyone has answers I would be most grateful. I've downloaded the app and run the demo but a bit hard to envisage how it would work...

It works beautifully. I can't compare it to other receivers, but I'm quite happy. I'm not sure about album art from the dlna server however.

FWIW, I bought the dock but hardly ever use it since the latest app update allows one to stream directly from the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone music library even while the app is running in the background.
post #1026 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmit View Post

Really nobody knows how to make A810 turn on when TV goes on?

Previously I've had Onkyo which worked that way without trouble...

Your TV needs to support it. Check its settings. I know my Panasonic does.
post #1027 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

I see the new models will have AirPlay. Does anyone know if we will be able to get AirPlay through a firmware update? I have the 2010.

Interested as well. I have the 3010, I would expect that, at least while it still is the flagship model, it's going to get firmware updates...
post #1028 of 2855
3 options for wallpaper? Is there a way to add a custom wallpaper or download others?
post #1029 of 2855
Is there a quick way to clear YPAO instead of unplugging my 2010? I would like to a/b and see which I like better.
Thanks for any replies!

edit:
I found it. It's in the set-up>auto>result
post #1030 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post

Interested as well. I have the 3010, I would expect that, at least while it still is the flagship model, it's going to get firmware updates...

I hope so. As much as I like the Internet radio stations, the sound from iTunes through AirPlay is much better to my ears - less compressed.
post #1031 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmit View Post

Really nobody knows how to make A810 turn on when TV goes on?

Previously I've had Onkyo which worked that way without trouble...

... Harmoney One ... Kidding

I use a harmoney one, but I thought if you do not have hdmi pass thru enabled on the receiver, it will turn on if given a signal from standby.
post #1032 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmit View Post

Really nobody knows how to make A810 turn on when TV goes on?

Previously I've had Onkyo which worked that way without trouble...

I turn my TV on and my A810 comes on.

I have a Panasonic VT30 that has to have Viera Link "ON" that enables interoperability of HDAVI Control compliant HDMI devices. I'm also using a high speed HDMI cable (1.4). So it sounds like it's something you need to enable in your TV.
post #1033 of 2855
OK, this RX-A710 is going back to the dealer. No one can say why the black levels are off on composite to HDMI conversion.

Now I found when ever I leave my receiver on, then turn the TV off (to listen to CD or Radio), the receiver HDMI signal changes my Comcast HD DVR "service" menu setting resolution from 1080i to 720P and changes 4:3 output from Off to 480P.

I think I'm done with Yamaha. Not impressed with their technical support. I think I'll go back to my Denon AVR-3803 and forget about any type of HDMI switching in an audio receiver. To bad, I had high hopes for this receiver.

BTW, when I switch to AV5 which is doing the composite to HDMI conversion, I get an HDCP problem and it recommends I use Component Outputs. Definitely a problem with the HDMI conversion and use. I thought Onkyo was the only maker to have problems with HDMI but Yamaha seems to be also. To much risk, going back to my none HDMI receiver.
post #1034 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

OK, this RX-A710 is going back to the dealer. No one can say why the black levels are off on composite to HDMI conversion.

Now I found when ever I leave my receiver on, then turn the TV off (to listen to CD or Radio), the receiver HDMI signal changes my Comcast HD DVR "service" menu setting resolution from 1080i to 720P and changes 4:3 output from Off to 480P.

I think I'm done with Yamaha. Not impressed with their technical support. I think I'll go back to my Denon AVR-3803 and forget about any type of HDMI switching in an audio receiver. To bad, I had high hopes for this receiver.

BTW, when I switch to AV5 which is doing the composite to HDMI conversion, I get an HDCP problem and it recommends I use Component Outputs. Definitely a problem with the HDMI conversion and use. I thought Onkyo was the only maker to have problems with HDMI but Yamaha seems to be also. To much risk, going back to my none HDMI receiver.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...eceiver-page-2

You bought the wrong Yamaha AVR. You could've saved yourself some grief by researching a bit before spending.
post #1035 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...eceiver-page-2

You bought the wrong Yamaha AVR. You could've saved yourself some grief by researching a bit before spending.

That review does not state any of my problems and I did search extensively for days, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I could had bought three 710s for what that 2010 costs. I don't have that much disposable income to throw around on toys anymore. To many more important things when less expensive receivers can get the job for much less. Unfortunately looks like all receivers now a days are garbage.

I just can't believe that this A710 is making my cable box change it's resolution settings. The only way it can do that is if the receiver is sending a signal saying it's only compatible with a 720P signal. It's either defective or a design flaw. Since this receiver was double boxed shipped and packed very well plus had no blemishes on it's surface and none I could see through the cabinet vents, I'm not impressed at all.

On top of that, why am I getting a HDMI HDCP screen when I'm selecting a "Composite video" input that's getting output through the HDMI?!! Never get one when I select an HDMI input. The screen does go away, but comes right back when the system is turned back on.

Looks like I'll keep my reliable 9 year old Denon AVR-3803 receiver although I'd like to get simpler hookup and use. Looks like I'll have to wait.
post #1036 of 2855
I've tried very hard to like the A2010, but I just can't get past a few things. As such I'm taking the unit back today and I'm going with a 4311CI.
post #1037 of 2855
Old School Metal, the changing resolutions on the cable box is a problem with the cable box (I am assuming it is a Motorola). We have run into that issue several times but not with Yamaha yet, knock on wood.

Did you try setting the Yamaha monitor skip function to yes in the advanced menu? That might help with both problems. I don't think we used a composite recently with a Yamaha so it is good to know if that is a problem. Does your source have a 0 or 7.5 IRE option, or blacker/ lighter black level option? I'm not sure what you are using as a composite source.

Just FYI the Yamaha is a certified HDMI/ HDCP unit, cable boxes have not submitted for this certification and they are often the cause of this problem but everyone blames the other devices in their system. TVs are often the cause as well as they often report incorrect EDID information back to the receiver/ source, they receive a 480i signal over HDMI but still to use HD settings instead of SD.

You need to find a solution that will work for you and for most people this might take some trial and error, causing frustration. Unfortunately, without testing equipment the consumer is at a loss to know which products are behaving poorly under HDMI/HDCP protocols. HDMI continues to be a problem for consumers, installers and integrators.
post #1038 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

OK, this RX-A710 is going back to the dealer. No one can say why the black levels are off on composite to HDMI conversion.

Now I found when ever I leave my receiver on, then turn the TV off (to listen to CD or Radio), the receiver HDMI signal changes my Comcast HD DVR "service" menu setting resolution from 1080i to 720P and changes 4:3 output from Off to 480P.

I think I'm done with Yamaha. Not impressed with their technical support. I think I'll go back to my Denon AVR-3803 and forget about any type of HDMI switching in an audio receiver. To bad, I had high hopes for this receiver.

BTW, when I switch to AV5 which is doing the composite to HDMI conversion, I get an HDCP problem and it recommends I use Component Outputs. Definitely a problem with the HDMI conversion and use. I thought Onkyo was the only maker to have problems with HDMI but Yamaha seems to be also. To much risk, going back to my none HDMI receiver.

If you wanted video processing, you bought the wrong model receiver. I think you should give a look at the onkyos and see if their lower tier models offer video processing. I'm not sure what your budget is, but this might require spending a little more. What component device are you upconverting?
post #1039 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Old School Metal, the changing resolutions on the cable box is a problem with the cable box (I am assuming it is a Motorola). We have run into that issue several times but not with Yamaha yet, knock on wood.

Did you try setting the Yamaha monitor skip function to yes in the advanced menu? That might help with both problems. I don't think we used a composite recently with a Yamaha so it is good to know if that is a problem. Does your source have a 0 or 7.5 IRE option, or blacker/ lighter black level option? I'm not sure what you are using as a composite source.

Just FYI the Yamaha is a certified HDMI/ HDCP unit, cable boxes have not submitted for this certification and they are often the cause of this problem but everyone blames the other devices in their system. TVs are often the cause as well as they often report incorrect EDID information back to the receiver/ source, they receive a 480i signal over HDMI but still to use HD settings instead of SD.

You need to find a solution that will work for you and for most people this might take some trial and error, causing frustration. Unfortunately, without testing equipment the consumer is at a loss to know which products are behaving poorly under HDMI/HDCP protocols. HDMI continues to be a problem for consumers, installers and integrators.

Yeah, it's their copy protection handshake that was supposed to be fixed way back in v1.3. This is why display port became adopted in the pc market over hdmi. Sometimes a simple cable swap such as using monoprice cables can relieve the problem as well. I've been lucky not to have any handshake issues since 2004.
post #1040 of 2855
I just wanted to share a rather frustrating experience I've had with getting a router-based USB drive operating as an NAS Media Server to work with the 3010 using the Yamaha AV Control App. The Control App would work for maybe 10 minutes at a time and would eventually lock-up, then the NAS would disappear from the list of available media servers on the network. I tested this with my Droid X and an Ipod Touch Gen. 3, both with identical issues as described above. Figuring it was network related, I tried everything I could think of like assigning static IPs to the 3010 and Droid X/Ipod, reconfiguring UPnP to a shorter broadcast frequency and increased time-to-live hops, and even reformatted my NAS to Linux EXT3 file system, all to no avail. Although on a side note, I have seen an increase of +5MB transferring files to the NAS after formatting to EXT3 which was a huge plus.

Anyway, I scoured the web and couldn't find a solution, although the reviews on the Android Control App from other Droid X owners also had complaints of force closes, so I figured it was time to look at the Droid X itself. I noticed that the issue only happens after the screen times out when streaming from my NAS, but it does not happen when streaming from the Droid X itself. In the Droid X advanced Wi-Fi options, there is a Wi-Fi Sleep Policy that was set to turn off Wi-Fi when the screen turns off. I'd forgotten this option was there, and I swear I remember disabling this option some time back. Anyway, I set it to never turn off and voilÃ*, that was the ticket. I'm now happily using my phone with the Control App and my NAS. My entire FLAC library is again available to me. I still get a force close once in a while, but that has more to do with my overall NAS' performance. The app at least recovers without dropping the media server. I'm happy.

So I hope this might help someone who might be having a similar issue.
post #1041 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

I just wanted to share a rather frustrating experience I've had with getting a router-based USB drive operating as an NAS Media Server to work with the 3010 using the Yamaha AV Control App. The Control App would work for maybe 10 minutes at a time and would eventually lock-up, then the NAS would disappear from the list of available media servers on the network. I tested this with my Droid X and an Ipod Touch Gen. 3, both with identical issues as described above. Figuring it was network related, I tried everything I could think of like assigning static IPs to the 3010 and Droid X/Ipod, reconfiguring UPnP to a shorter broadcast frequency and increased time-to-live hops, and even reformatted my NAS to Linux EXT3 file system, all to no avail. Although on a side note, I have seen an increase of +5MB transferring files to the NAS after formatting to EXT3 which was a huge plus.

Anyway, I scoured the web and couldn't find a solution, although the reviews on the Android Control App from other Droid X owners also had complaints of force closes, so I figured it was time to look at the Droid X itself. I noticed that the issue only happens after the screen times out when streaming from my NAS, but it does not happen when streaming from the Droid X itself. In the Droid X advanced Wi-Fi options, there is a Wi-Fi Sleep Policy that was set to turn off Wi-Fi when the screen turns off. I'd forgotten this option was there, and I swear I remember disabling this option some time back. Anyway, I set it to never turn off and voilÃ*, that was the ticket. I'm now happily using my phone with the Control App and my NAS. My entire FLAC library is again available to me. I still get a force close once in a while, but that has more to do with my overall NAS' performance. The app at least recovers without dropping the media server. I'm happy.

So I hope this might help someone who might be having a similar issue.

Hey red_5ive. I'm want to hookup a NAS system and its going to be my first NAS. Can you tell me what NAS system you're using and what software you use to link to your 3010? Is your NAS hard wired or WiFi'ed to your network?

I'm streaming Flac from my Laptop (WiFi) now using Asset UPnP but I know I'll need more storage space. New to all this so any help would be appreciated...
post #1042 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

Hey red_5ive. I'm want to hookup a NAS system and its going to be my first NAS. Can you tell me what NAS system you're using and what software you use to link to your 3010? Is your NAS hard wired or WiFi'ed to your network?

I'm streaming Flac from my Laptop (WiFi) now using Asset UPnP but I know I'll need more storage space. New to all this so any help would be appreciated...

It isn't a stand-alone NAS. My router (Netgear WNDR3700 Gigabit) has a built in USB 2.0 port that allows attaching of an external USB drive. The router can then serve as an NAS, and it supports UPnP/DLNA for media server capabilities. The 3010 is hard-wired with CAT 5e, and I have a 4-port gigabit switch between it and the router. The drive itself is a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB 2.5" portable formatted to Linux EXT3 file system, although I'll probably be upgrading the drive soon for more storage.

If I could recommend a basic single-drive standalone NAS media server it would be the Synology DS110J. Note that this is just an enclosure so you have to add a drive. It supports SATA and up to 2TB.

Hope that helps.
post #1043 of 2855
[quote=OldSchoolMETAL;21957024]That review does not state any of my problems and I did search extensively for days, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Hey Man, I was rude and shouldn't have been. I hate when people are rude to me, yet I did that to you. I apologize sincerely.
When I ordered the 2010, the salesman tried briefly to sell me the 1010 which was in stock. I told him I wanted the 2010 because of the video processing. Blu rays are awesome but our cable signal kinda sucks so I had to have HQV Vida. I've only had this AVR for a week so I haven't tried it yet. But when I do, I'll post a thought or two on it.
I am sorry for your luck and also with my comment.
I wish you the best with whatever decision you make.
post #1044 of 2855
Oooh.... empty house for a few hours. Let's see how far my 3010 can push my 300W 2-channel amp before my ears give out.
post #1045 of 2855
I'm starting to lean towards buying either an 810 or a 1010 because so many of the other brands have reliability issues, or simply wont do what I want. I have two questions....

1. I've scanned through this thread and have noticed a couple of people have had issues with the amplifiers. I'll be running a 5.1 system with Energy speakers that are 4 ohm at minimum. I do like it somewhat loud at times, but these speakers are low 90's efficiency. Am I going to have any thermal issues if I decide to watch a concert video at realistic concert levels?

2. I am an unapologetic Mac owner :-) Can I use the network functionality to access iTunes, or do I just need to run the digital out on my Mac as an audio input to the receiver like I currently do?

Thanks,
Bud
post #1046 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

It isn't a stand-alone NAS. My router (Netgear WNDR3700 Gigabit) has a built in USB 2.0 port that allows attaching of an external USB drive. The router can then serve as an NAS, and it supports UPnP/DLNA for media server capabilities. The 3010 is hard-wired with CAT 5e, and I have a 4-port gigabit switch between it and the router. The drive itself is a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB 2.5" portable formatted to Linux EXT3 file system, although I'll probably be upgrading the drive soon for more storage.

If I could recommend a basic single-drive standalone NAS media server it would be the Synology DS110J. Note that this is just an enclosure so you have to add a drive. It supports SATA and up to 2TB.

Hope that helps.

Cool, maybe I'll try that. I have a WD 1.5 external drive and I think my Att router has a USB port in it...maybe that will work! and I'll definitely look at that DS110J.

Thanks
post #1047 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

Oooh.... empty house for a few hours. Let's see how far my 3010 can push my 300W 2-channel amp before my ears give out.

post #1048 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

Cool, maybe I'll try that. I have a WD 1.5 external drive and I think my Att router has a USB port in it...maybe that will work! and I'll definitely look at that DS110J.

Thanks

Is that router part of ATT service? Not that I know anything about it, I'm just curious as I think it would be pretty cool for the vendor to supply media server capabilities with their router. With my service (Verizon FIOS), I can't always get the router to do what I want so I gave up and installed my own router behind the FIOS router so that I have more control.
post #1049 of 2855
[quote=Scarriere;21958498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

That review does not state any of my problems and I did search extensively for days, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Hey Man, I was rude and shouldn't have been. I hate when people are rude to me, yet I did that to you. I apologize sincerely.
When I ordered the 2010, the salesman tried briefly to sell me the 1010 which was in stock. I told him I wanted the 2010 because of the video processing. Blu rays are awesome but our cable signal kinda sucks so I had to have HQV Vida. I've only had this AVR for a week so I haven't tried it yet. But when I do, I'll post a thought or two on it.
I am sorry for your luck and also with my comment.
I wish you the best with whatever decision you make.

Thanks for the appology. Sometimes, I know, we can be more rude or offensive than we mean to come off as because it's hard to tell behind the written word.

Unfortunately Tier 2 Tech Support Confirmed the A710 is defective but the dealer has no more that I know of. So I'll see if I get a Denon AVR-2312Ci or a Yamaha RX-A810. Most likely not as we have more important expenses than to go up in price for those receiver's extra cost.

But I'll see, maybe something can be worked out.

Thanks for the new reply.
post #1050 of 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Old School Metal, the changing resolutions on the cable box is a problem with the cable box (I am assuming it is a Motorola). We have run into that issue several times but not with Yamaha yet, knock on wood.

Did you try setting the Yamaha monitor skip function to yes in the advanced menu? That might help with both problems. I don't think we used a composite recently with a Yamaha so it is good to know if that is a problem. Does your source have a 0 or 7.5 IRE option, or blacker/ lighter black level option? I'm not sure what you are using as a composite source.

Just FYI the Yamaha is a certified HDMI/ HDCP unit, cable boxes have not submitted for this certification and they are often the cause of this problem but everyone blames the other devices in their system. TVs are often the cause as well as they often report incorrect EDID information back to the receiver/ source, they receive a 480i signal over HDMI but still to use HD settings instead of SD.

You need to find a solution that will work for you and for most people this might take some trial and error, causing frustration. Unfortunately, without testing equipment the consumer is at a loss to know which products are behaving poorly under HDMI/HDCP protocols. HDMI continues to be a problem for consumers, installers and integrators.

Thanks for the heads up. After you mentioned this, I see this is a huge problem with my Motorola DCX3400 Comcast DVR. Many problem reports all over the internet with the "EXACT" same problem I'm having with old and new Yamahas, Denons, Sony ES and Onkyo. Weird that when the Box goes straight to my LG 47LW5600 TV, the resolution stays at 1080i and never changes. Also it's scary that those reports were started over a year ago and Comcast/Motorola never fixed the problem.

Unfortunately Yamaha confirmed that my A710 was defective. Tier 2 hooked up their A710 with a Bluray composite video connection to the receiver, then the A710 receiver's HDMI output to a Panasonic TV. Then they hooked the composite output from the Bluray player straight to the Panasonic TV, bypassing the receiver. They said the "composite video" signal through the Yamaha was not washed out and blacks stayed the same along with a better picture from the upconverted resolution when compared to the composite video that was sent straight from the Bluray player to the Panasonic TV.

So they are getting a better picture that is not washed out as the picture I'm getting. They said this obviously must be a defect with the conversion hardware.

Right now I have so much going on in my life, I wish I never bought the Yamaha as this is just a big pain in the @ss right now as I simply don't have the extra time to mess with this thing, sending it back, and reconnecting my Denon AVR-3803 back into my system.

Thanks for the help in sharing this resolution problem. I may have gone through a lot more trouble had you not mentioned this, Thanks, I really appreciate it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread