For me the perfect soundbar would:
1) Support HDMI ARC (as most TVs now down-convert surround to 2.0 via optical out)
2) Have multiple HDMI inputs (since so few sources, not even PS4 support ARC
3) Have a wireless subwoofer (if I wanted wires, I'd have a full-on receiver-speaker setup)
4) Have actual rear speakers (I don't want fake, processed "Intellibeam", "3D sound", etc.)
5) Process Dolby Digital AND DTS (Xbox One lacks Dolby...SONOS lacks DTS...ugh)
6) Fit a 65" TV (the left & right channel shouldn't be set in a foot & a half from the sides of TV)
7) Mount flush on wall (I'm looking at you Sony...)
8) Have center speakers (see #4)
In my mind, the upcoming Vizio 5451 would be perfect IF it included 3 or 4 HDMI inputs rather than just 1 (see #2).
The Sony 260 or 660 would be too IF they could mount flush to wall, was much wider, and had actual rear & center speakers (see #4, 6, 7, & 8).
I LOVE my SONOS Play:1s & would add a Playbar in a heartbeat IF only included DTS processing and HDMI ins/out (see #1, 2, 5). Ideally it would also be wider (#6), but at least it acknowledges the soundstage with side-firing speakers.
I cannot believe in 2014, I cannot get a soundbar with HDMI ARC switching and rear speakers. I think VIZIO has the right idea, i.e. wide, wall-mounted bar with wireless sub placed besides couch and rear speakers wired painlessly behind the couch. I only wish they added a couple HDMI inputs.
Has anyone had luck with an HDMI switcher that supports Audio Return Channel?
Edited by jeff19342 - 1/10/14 at 8:45am