or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Patel Home Theater - FINALLY !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patel Home Theater - FINALLY !!!

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I have been a (jealous) member of this forum for almost 10 years and this year my family finally started construction of our Dream Home in Alabama. We have had several homes in the time being - but never space for a truly dedicated HT. Our contractor ( http://www.omegabuildersllc.com/ ) and so are HT installers ( http://www.encoelectronics.com/ ) are the best and we are in the final "drying in" phase of construction. I have decided on a CIH setup for the HT as I want this space to be mostly used for movies and will sacrifice some screen space for when I want to watch HDTV and movies shot in 1.8:1

The room is 18 (w) x 26 (l) x 12 (h) and located on the first floor. There will be 3 tiers of seating.

Screen - Carada 153 inch 2.35:1
Projector - JVC DLA-RS35U
Lens - Panamorph A-480SYS
( My HT Installer may change the Projector + Lens to the dVision Scope 1080p )
Reciever - Integra DTR-80
Center - Klipsch RC-64 II (x1)
Fronts - Klipsch RF 7's
Surrounds - Klipsch KL-6504 (x6)
Subs - PB13 Ultras (x2)


I will post pictures as soon as I can, but I wanted any opinions AVS Members have on the issues and materials I and my Contractors are somewhat unsure of.

1. Sound isolation - my HT Installer has recommended using Quiet Rock. I would love to know any positive or negative views of this product and any help on the technical aspects of installing for my Contractor.

2. For the dedicated media closet - Ventilation ideas and advice. Besides a high quality exhaust fan and also fans on the racks - do you think a separate AC unit is required?

Once again, I am excited for my family and friends to finally (soon) enjoy my HT. I am sure more questions will arise for this novice and any advice is welcome. I will post the HT blueprints soon.

Prof Patel
post #2 of 28
Thread Starter 


** The windows will be drywalled in - so complete lighting control
post #3 of 28
that looks pretty sweet. Can't wait for pics.
post #4 of 28
I'd ask a mod to move this to the Dedicated Theater Builders forum, you'll get better visibility / feedback on room construction there - in particular, Ted White can chime in on the soundproofing strategy.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by profpatel View Post

I have been a (jealous) member of this forum for almost 10 years and this year my family finally started construction of our Dream Home in Alabama. We have had several homes in the time being - but never space for a truly dedicated HT. Our contractor ( http://www.omegabuildersllc.com/ ) and so are HT installers ( http://www.encoelectronics.com/ ) are the best and we are in the final "drying in" phase of construction. I have decided on a CIH setup for the HT as I want this space to be mostly used for movies and will sacrifice some screen space for when I want to watch HDTV and movies shot in 1.8:1

The room is 18 (w) x 26 (l) x 12 (h) and located on the first floor. There will be 3 tiers of seating.

Screen - Carada 153 inch 2.35:1
Projector - JVC DLA-RS35U
Lens - Panamorph A-480SYS
( My HT Installer may change the Projector + Lens to the dVision Scope 1080p )
Reciever - Integra DTR-80
Center - Klipsch RC-64 II (x1)
Fronts - Klipsch RF 7's
Surrounds - Klipsch KL-6504 (x6)
Subs - PB13 Ultras (x2)


I will post pictures as soon as I can, but I wanted any opinions AVS Members have on the issues and materials I and my Contractors are somewhat unsure of.

1. Sound isolation - my HT Installer has recommended using Quiet Rock. I would love to know any positive or negative views of this product and any help on the technical aspects of installing for my Contractor.

2. For the dedicated media closet - Ventilation ideas and advice. Besides a high quality exhaust fan and also fans on the racks - do you think a separate AC unit is required?

Once again, I am excited for my family and friends to finally (soon) enjoy my HT. I am sure more questions will arise for this novice and any advice is welcome. I will post the HT blueprints soon.

Prof Patel

1. Yes or multiples layers of 5/8" with green glue. Hard, thick surfaces controls sound, the thicker the better. Then slap some 2" roxul rockwool(my personal choice) or OC705 on the front wall.

2. I'm a HVAC contractor, even though thats my side business, so believe me its a necessity to have a dedicated hvac system and rack fans. Whether theres two or twenty in my room, even when its 100+ outside and dozens of pieces of equipment I can dial in whatever temp I want and 10 mins later its at setpoint. I've had great success using Mits Mr Slims for twenty years. I put a 1 ton 26 seer heatpump in my 18x19x8 room and it is the most comfortable room in the house. My old room was always a struggle to regulate temp wise.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

I've had great success using Mits Mr Slims for twenty years.

Bummer you're not a little closer to me, looking to get some estimates soon on installing a mini split in my HT - looking at the LG ArtCool and Mits Mr. Slim.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

1. Yes or multiples layers of 5/8" with green glue. Hard, thick surfaces controls sound, the thicker the better. Then slap some 2" roxul rockwool(my personal choice) or OC705 on the front wall.

2. I'm a HVAC contractor, even though thats my side business, so believe me its a necessity to have a dedicated hvac system and rack fans. Whether theres two or twenty in my room, even when its 100+ outside and dozens of pieces of equipment I can dial in whatever temp I want and 10 mins later its at setpoint. I've had great success using Mits Mr Slims for twenty years. I put a 1 ton 26 seer heatpump in my 18x19x8 room and it is the most comfortable room in the house. My old room was always a struggle to regulate temp wise.

Thanks for the advice, I think my HVAC installer did mention a standalone Mitsubishi Unit. Would you advice also a ceiling mounted ventilation fan (sort of like one's that are in bathrooms) ?

The Media Closet is 6'x8'x12' in dimension. There will likely be 2 racks (w/ rack fans) as it will also hold all my components for the whole downstairs of my house. I am estimating:

2 AV Recievers
4-5 DirecTV DVR's
4-5 WDTV Live Hub's
2 Apple TV's
1 BluRay Player
1 PS3
post #8 of 28
I am putting the finishing touches on my CIH theater, and used QuietRock, and was VERY happy with it. I debated for a while with my contractor between QuietRock and drywall+greenglue. The difference in cost/labor/ease of installation we went with QuietRock. I don't know which is better - but both are good. If you are doing new construction, you may want to look into sound isolating clips as well. It depends on your goals - Are you trying to truly "soundproof" the room from the rest of the house?

I'd be curious as to more info from others RE: dedicated HVAC. We ran 3 new ducts and a dedicated return in the new room, but the room still feels warm, especially in summer, and when the projector has been running.

Lee
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Bummer you're not a little closer to me, looking to get some estimates soon on installing a mini split in my HT - looking at the LG ArtCool and Mits Mr. Slim.

I spent twenty years in the HVAC field. Burnout crept in about 17 years in. So I moved on. Spent the last twelve in the telecom field(Pacbell/ATT). I pretty much did and tried everything in the hvac/refrigeration field. When it comes to home theater or exercise rooms, any room with an unusual load, I found you need a dedicated system. Nothing works as well. My room is 19x18 and I went with a 1 ton heat pump. As far a mini split goes there are dozens and dozens of brands. The best are the fujitsu, sanyo and Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi are considered the Cadillac of mini splits. We built our home in 1996 and with years worth of attic treading my R38 is now R1 in some areas. Even though I haven't blown in new insul yet it's freezing in no time. We've had several parties this summer and I have no problem keeping the room 65 degrees even with a rack full of equipment, projector and seven amps running. The Mitsubishi has an infrared eye that finds hotspots and directs air there. No hotspotting. It works far above expectations. And it's dead and I mean dead silent. The installation is very simple for a DIYer to accomplish if you buy online. Then I recommend you have a pro evacuate the lineset and startup.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by profpatel View Post

Thanks for the advice, I think my HVAC installer did mention a standalone Mitsubishi Unit. Would you advice also a ceiling mounted ventilation fan (sort of like one's that are in bathrooms) ?

The Media Closet is 6'x8'x12' in dimension. There will likely be 2 racks (w/ rack fans) as it will also hold all my components for the whole downstairs of my house. I am estimating:

2 AV Recievers
4-5 DirecTV DVR's
4-5 WDTV Live Hub's
2 Apple TV's
1 BluRay Player
1 PS3

Don't waste your time with a ceiling fan. In the past I've used several including one that supplies Middle Atlantic. If your rack is in the main room the Mitsubishi with take care of in. If it's in a self contained closet, vent the air into main room with large rack fans or a low velocity blower to pull heat out of room. Because the minisplit has no ductwork efficiency is very high.
post #11 of 28
One thing with a really, really tight room like a dedicated, sound proof theater... is fresh air circulation.

Getting the old, "stale" air out and replacing it with cleaner outside air is as vital (probably more so) as heating and cooling... or mostly in this case... cooling.

You load your room up with guests, a two hour movie or a sporting event, and don't have proper, clean air circulation for a tight as a drum room, you'll have one uncomfortable (and possibly dangerous) experience.

As more and more houses become battened down to the nth degree, fresh air exchanging is becoming more important than ever. Now, imagine a sound proof room...

---

Too bad you don't have the room length to do an AT screen and place speakers behind it like a commercial venue. But the current design does seem really nice, so I won't hold it against you.
post #12 of 28
Thats not correct. For maximum efficiency you need a sealed room for both sound and especially climate control. Air conditioning dries the air, removing humidity. The Mits Mr Slim has a three filter system, one that is for dust and you wash it every two weeks, one anti-allergy enzyme filter and one deodorizing filter. Believe me when I say its cutting edge, all the bases are covered.

Fresh air intakes used to be the norm for malls and are productive on cooler days but that air is filtered before entering building.
post #13 of 28
With a sealed system, occupants exhaust the supply of oxygen over time - I believe that was the point re: air exchange, not related to efficiency. I'd trade some efficiency for some oxygen. ;-)
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

With a sealed system, occupants exhaust the supply of oxygen over time - I believe that was the point re: air exchange, not related to efficiency. I'd trade some efficiency for some oxygen. ;-)

Still, whats a half dozen space suit go for these days? Come on now, were talking hardcore here.
post #15 of 28
Very nice.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

With a sealed system, occupants exhaust the supply of oxygen over time - I believe that was the point re: air exchange, not related to efficiency. I'd trade some efficiency for some oxygen. ;-)

Correct, sir.
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Looking towards the back of the room



Looking towards the front

post #18 of 28
Wow dude, I am truly jealous, that is a nice BIG room! That is the start to a sweet theater...
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

Wow dude, I am truly jealous, that is a nice BIG room! That is the start to a sweet theater...

It took many years of negotiations with the AWESOME wifey - Right next to the HT is a 14' x 26' Sports Bar Area also
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by profpatel View Post

It took many years of negotiations with the AWESOME wifey - Right next to the HT is a 14' x 26' Sports Bar Area also

Holy crap, you're going to have people banging down your door all football season! And the rest of the year for that matter...
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by profpatel View Post

The Media Closet is 6'x8'x12' in dimension. There will likely be 2 racks (w/ rack fans) as it will also hold all my components for the whole downstairs of my house. I am estimating:

2 AV Recievers
4-5 DirecTV DVR's
4-5 WDTV Live Hub's
2 Apple TV's
1 BluRay Player
1 PS3

None of my business what you do, but I recommend you be very careful about how you wire the house. You probably know this, but don't wire it for one media solution. Things change.

I highly, highly recommend running conduit from this room to important areas in other rooms so that new/different wiring can be utilized as technology changes.

I say this because I'm currently living in a new, high end house that has been wired terribly. Once a house like that is completed, there is very, very little you can do to change things.

What brought this on is your equipment rack. Sooner or later most of what you have there, specifically the Live Hubs and the Apple TVs, will be replaced by one or more dedicated client-server HTPCs. I'm setting up a MythTV backend and multiple Myth front ends around the house right now.

With your current system, you probably have HDMI running from the rack to the TV in each room and a control pad that feeds IR down to the rack. That is OK, but if you go to a client server HTPC system, you aren't really going to need the control pad, nor the HDMI. What you will need is Cat 5 running from the client to the server.

Just my $0.02.
post #22 of 28
yeah ok professor, must have a phd to load that room up that well!! I like how you're storing even your directTV units down there, I never thought of that!
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudII View Post

None of my business what you do, but I recommend you be very careful about how you wire the house. You probably know this, but don't wire it for one media solution. Things change.

I highly, highly recommend running conduit from this room to important areas in other rooms so that new/different wiring can be utilized as technology changes.

I say this because I'm currently living in a new, high end house that has been wired terribly. Once a house like that is completed, there is very, very little you can do to change things.

What brought this on is your equipment rack. Sooner or later most of what you have there, specifically the Live Hubs and the Apple TVs, will be replaced by one or more dedicated client-server HTPCs. I'm setting up a MythTV backend and multiple Myth front ends around the house right now.

With your current system, you probably have HDMI running from the rack to the TV in each room and a control pad that feeds IR down to the rack. That is OK, but if you go to a client server HTPC system, you aren't really going to need the control pad, nor the HDMI. What you will need is Cat 5 running from the client to the server.

Just my $0.02.

Great thoughts, luckily each TV "Port" in all the rooms in the house have 3 Cat5's and 1 Coax. I did not run any conduit but am hoping that amount of Cat 5 will hopefully run what I need even in the future.

Client Serve HTPC's are prob what we all are going to use, but I need to look into MythTV. So far my limited experience in this realm is WDTV's and Modded Apple TV's that stream from my HP Server.
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

yeah ok professor, must have a phd to load that room up that well!! I like how you're storing even your directTV units down there, I never thought of that!


Yes, after 10 years + of being distracted by Direct TV's Blue LED light rings - I don't ever want to see any more
post #25 of 28
methinks you could watch some serious cricket matches in a room that nice
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

One thing with a really, really tight room like a dedicated, sound proof theater... is fresh air circulation...

As more and more houses become battened down to the nth degree, fresh air exchanging is becoming more important than ever. Now, imagine a sound proof room...

We completed a full house remodel this summer and we are "battened down to the nth degree". It takes a little getting used to as the house is never hot or cold unless you open doors or windows.

To ensure the house is safe, we added an HRV, (heat recovery ventilator) from Ulitimate Air. That device is in the basement with our HT and my office. While it works very well, it's not really all that quiet and is not something you would want in your HT.

We realized this at the last moment and moved it from the designed location at the back of the HT to another location about 20 feet away and extended the walls of my office to make sure it would not be a distraction while watching a movie.

I hadn't thought about a dedicated mini-split in the HT space but it's a great idea. My wife is a general contractor and has installed the Mitsubishi unit for a couple of clients. It is completely quiet and works well.
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
It is true, my HT is insulted to the 9th degree. Luckily my contractor overcame that by placing a separate AC unit just for the HT and it's adjoining Bar Room. Each of those rooms have their own separate air returns so fresh air hopefully won't be a problem. I never thought of it that way - that's why I have AVS and great contractors.
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Update - Surefit Insultion and Quiet Rock Sheet Rock has been put in and trim work going in now



I don't know why - but this picture both excites and scares me



One side, columns are all custom made with cut out for Klipsch in wall speakers for surrounds and rear. My contractor loves trim - a lot of trim !!



Front Stage/Screen area
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Patel Home Theater - FINALLY !!!