or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speakers for Onkyo TX-NR609
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speakers for Onkyo TX-NR609

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just bought the TX-NR609 AVR and am looking for a 5.1 channel speaker set to go with it. I don't want anything fancy and my price range is up to $200. I'm a novice with setting up a home theater system and am upgrading from a home theater in a box setup. So any advice from other folks who have done this before would be great.

P.S.: I'm within 4 days of my 30 day window to return the AVR back to Amazon. So I would rather like to find a decent speaker set that can go with it than send the unit back to Amazon.
P.S.S.: I love the AVR and would really hate to send it back to Amazon. Plus I got a good sale price on it.
post #2 of 12
$200 will not get you much of anything when it comes to speakers

The only thing i can think of in your budget is the Polk RM6750 5.1... I have that system in my apartment and it does the trick. But when I upgraded my front 3 speakers to Polk Monitor 30's and a CS1's center there was a noticable difference
post #3 of 12
I am in the same boat as you and I think I am might be getting Jamo S606 with BIC V12 sub.

I have seen some good system in Craiglist for that budget.
post #4 of 12
$200 is a pretty tight budget. You won't get much more than a home theatre in box type speaker setup at that price range. Among those types of speaker setups here is a decent 7.1 setup for $219 on sale.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8&Sku=O22-1130

If you can spend $400 --- you'll be plenty happy with this.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

If you are seriously limited to $200 then jump on those Onkyo's I don't think you'll do better.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

$200 is a pretty tight budget. You won't get much more than a home theatre in box type speaker setup at that price range. Among those types of speaker setups here is a decent 7.1 setup for $219 on sale.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8&Sku=O22-1130

If you can spend $400 --- you'll be plenty happy with this.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

If you are seriously limited to $200 then jump on those Onkyo's I don't think you'll do better.

thx archaea....the onkyo has got good reviews both at amazon and at vann's. i might consider it but unfortunately my bonus room is wired (in wall) only for a 5.1 surround system.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial2u View Post

thx archaea....the onkyo has got good reviews both at amazon and at vann's. i might consider it but unfortunately my bonus room is wired (in wall) only for a 5.1 surround system.

That doesn't hurt anything. Just dont use the extra two speakers on that setup, and you'll have a couple of extra speakers to give away or use on a second system. The speakers are seperate and can be hooked up or left unplugged in any fashion you like.

CNET says - If we didn't know the MSRP of the Onkyo SKS-HT540, we would have pegged it closer to $600. Music of all types sounded natural, so we could freely indulge without considering the system's rock-bottom price...The bottom line: The Onkyo SKS-HT540 is the best-sounding surround-sound speaker package you can get for less than $300.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe...-31930496.html

Seeing that they are $219...you'll have trouble finding better.
post #7 of 12
+1 on the Onkyo speaker HT set up, you wont find a better speaker set up than that for the $200 mark. As mentioned, you can just use it as 5.1 and keep the other 2 speakers for another time/room... or sell them.

Same Onkyo HT set up link to look at...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-System/1.html
*these are a Onkyo Factory Reconditioned but you save even a few more $'s
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

+1 on the Onkyo speaker HT set up, you wont find a better speaker set up than that for the $200 mark. As mentioned, you can just use it as 5.1 and keep the other 2 speakers for another time/room... or sell them.

Same Onkyo HT set up link to look at...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-System/1.html
*these are a Onkyo Factory Reconditioned but you save even a few more $'s

Thanks for the replies guys. What other things should I consider when buying the speakers. I most preferably go with the Onkyo that you have recommended but if I find something else is there anything that I need to keep in mind. Any thoughts on this Polk Audio one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066
post #9 of 12
I'm not a fan of Onkyo speakers. If you only need a 5.1 setup also look at the jamo A340PDD system.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

I use two of the A340 speakers at work with a small digital amp, sounds great!
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

+1 on the Onkyo speaker HT set up, you wont find a better speaker set up than that for the $200 mark. As mentioned, you can just use it as 5.1 and keep the other 2 speakers for another time/room... or sell them.

Same Onkyo HT set up link to look at...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-System/1.html
*these are a Onkyo Factory Reconditioned but you save even a few more $'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I'm not a fan of Onkyo speakers. If you only need a 5.1 setup also look at the jamo A340PDD system.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

I use two of the A340 speakers at work with a small digital amp, sounds great!

R these speakers compatible with Onkyo TX-NR609 AVR
post #11 of 12
yes

You would be hard pressed to find a set of modern speakers that aren't compatible with the Onkyo TX-NR 609 receiver.

You can use 6 or 8 ohm speakers for continuos use. The Onkyo will likely even power 4 ohm speakers at moderate levels, but it isn't rated to do so. Most any speaker you look at will have an Ohm rating --- so long as the speakers are 6 or 8 (8 being the most common) you are good to go.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
i'm now weighing between the Jamo A340PDD and the Onkyo SKSHT-540. Anybody who has owned either one of these before if they can chime in with their opinion on how they sound and ease of install etc. that would be great. keep posting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speakers for Onkyo TX-NR609