or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Epson 3D projectors! 3010, 5010, 6010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Epson 3D projectors! 3010, 5010, 6010 - Page 3

post #61 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Any possibility on a power-buy pre-order?

Your willing to pre-order one before reviews come out? It's not like we can demo one at the local A/V store.
post #62 of 2311
Bad news concerning the 3010 not having lens shift. MM over in the DIY Screen forums reports the 3010 does not have lens shift.

Post any other questions you might have in that thread.
post #63 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post

Bad news concerning the 3010 not having lens shift.

Has Epson confirmed LENS SHIFT on the 5010? If so, what is it's ETA and MSRP?
post #64 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post


Has Epson confirmed LENS SHIFT on the 5010? If so, what is it's ETA and MSRP?

5010 is under $3000 and Eta is November.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art
post #65 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

5010 is under $3000 and Eta is November.

Well, guess I will see if the 8350 will drop to an MSRP of $900 now. Buy it for a year or two, and then buy the 5010 when it drops to the $1400 range. That's just how tech works in the marketplace......

Lens shift = required for me
3D = luxury that can wait
post #66 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post


Well, guess I will see if the 8350 will drop to an MSRP of $900 now. Buy it for a year or two, and then buy the 5010 when it drops to the $1400 range. That's just how tech works in the marketplace......

Lens shift = required for me
3D = luxury that can wait

Or you could buy my 8700UB.

I'm hoping the reviews are good. Now the waiting begins.
post #67 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Or you could buy my 8700UB.

I'm hoping the reviews are good. Now the waiting begins.

Bulb life and fair price = sure to work out....
post #68 of 2311
I swear I read somewhere that the E versions of these PJ's would come with a wireless HD transmitter as well? any info what that might be like?

I just found an article that said the e versions do come with a wireless hd transmitter, but they do not include the glasses.
post #69 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post


Bulb life and fair price = sure to work out....

I'm gonna test the market. But hoping for 1500. 300hr on the current bulb and a spare new in box. How is that for pricing?

Big problem with that is it's football season. I don't think I could go two months without. Lol. Pry have to eat the loss that would happen keeping it until the new ones drop.
post #70 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I'm gonna test the market. But hoping for 1500. 300hr on the current bulb and a spare new in box. How is that for pricing?

Big problem with that is it's football season. I don't think I could go two months without. Lol. Pry have to eat the loss that would happen keeping it until the new ones drop.

I'll beat that with a 8500ub :-) but like him. I need it for football!
post #71 of 2311
Anyone know whether the 5010 has both the vertical & Horizontal stretch for simulated anamorphic like the 6010.

Why is the THX certification, not mentioned in the 5010 specs.


-----

8700UB owner of 2 months
post #72 of 2311
Questions:

1. what is the percentage of lens shift (in any of these projectors)
2. do they have lens zoom memory function and/or (at least) image shift function (to move 2.35:1 image up and down the 16:9 area)
3. do they have S16:9 mode (showing 16:9 in a 21:9 area)
post #73 of 2311
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but this year's Epson announcement is a bit disappointing.

The new models are great and everything, but I wish Epson would introduce a new 2D projector that exceeds the 8350's PQ (contrast ratio, black levels, build quality, etc.) at the same price point. Instead, they've abandoned the $1,200 price bracket for the sake of going 3D. What if I don't really care about 3D? I get that they need to keep their product line competitive, but they should at least offer a good 2D 'value' projector for us traditionalists.

Raising the entry-level price for their line of projectors will probably send some potential customers looking at other manufacturers. Like me. Come on, Epson.
post #74 of 2311
Epson 3010 w/2 pair Glasses $1599.00
Epson 3010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $1799
2200 Lumens
40K:1 CR
3010/e has No lens shift

Epson 5010 w/2 pair Glasses $3000.00
Epson 5010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $3500
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson Pro 6010 $4000
No Wireless HD Available
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson 31000 $4000
1300 lumen
500K:1 CR

Epson 61000 $5000
1300 lumen
1,000,000:1

Figures come from Epson VP US Marketing

FWIW.....the 3D I saw coming from the 5010 was spectacularly good.

Lens Shift on the 5010 much improved but Thumbweels still have some play.
Lens Shift percentages remain virtually the same as 2011 models

No models have Lens memory (Powerd Zoom/Shift or Focus)
No Image Shift option available across the line-up.

Epson feels Wireless HD should sway a great many buyers, but a carefull pleading for info garnered a disturbing bit of news. The Transmitter is reccomended to be in Front of the PJ and must be in "line of Sight". A real pisser for "Rear of the Room" and "In Cabinet" equipment locations. Some kinda nutsy....wireless tranmission that requires a HDMI feed that might have to extend past a PJ location. Seems only something for those who still like to see thier equipment lights blinking at them from under the Screen.

FWIW again...the Epson Reps were all kinda about that design flub. The lack of Lens Shift on the 3010 was described as being a differentiation of the premium the 5010 offers.
post #75 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

FWIW.....the 3D I saw coming from the 5010 was spectacularly good.

Is 3010 on the floor ? If so how does it compare to Optoma HD33 - if that is on the floor as well.
post #76 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Epson 3010 w/2 pair Glasses $1599.00
Epson 3010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $1799
2200 Lumens
40K:1 CR
3010/e has No lens shift

Epson 5010 w/2 pair Glasses $3000.00
Epson 5010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $3500
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson Pro 6010 $4000
No Wireless HD Available
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson 31000 $4000
1300 lumen
500K:1 CR

Epson 61000 $5000
1300 lumen
1,000,000:1

Figures come from Epson VP US Marketing

FWIW.....the 3D I saw coming from the 5010 was spectacularly good.

Lens Shift on the 5010 much improved but Thumbweels still have some play.
Lens Shift percentages remain virtually the same as 2011 models

No models have Lens memory (Powerd Zoom/Shift or Focus)
No Image Shift option available across the line-up.

Epson feels Wireless HD should sway a great many buyers, but a carefull pleading for info garnered a disturbing bit of news. The Transmitter is reccomended to be in Front of the PJ and must be in "line of Sight". A real pisser for "Rear of the Room" and "In Cabinet" equipment locations. Some kinda nutsy....wireless tranmission that requires a HDMI feed that might have to extend past a PJ location. Seems only something for those who still like to see thier equipment lights blinking at them from under the Screen.

FWIW again...the Epson Reps were all kinda about that design flub. The lack of Lens Shift on the 3010 was described as being a differentiation of the premium the 5010 offers.

How large is the offset on the 3010/3010E? If it's a zero offset projector it might work for my low ceiling.
post #77 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Epson 3010 w/2 pair Glasses $1599.00
Epson 3010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $1799
2200 Lumens
40K:1 CR
3010/e has No lens shift

Epson 5010 w/2 pair Glasses $3000.00
Epson 5010E (Wireless HD - comes w/no Glasses - $100.00 per pair) $3500
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson Pro 6010 $4000
No Wireless HD Available
2400 lumens
200K:1 CR

Epson 31000 $4000
1300 lumen
500K:1 CR

Epson 61000 $5000
1300 lumen
1,000,000:1

Figures come from Epson VP US Marketing

FWIW.....the 3D I saw coming from the 5010 was spectacularly good.

Lens Shift on the 5010 much improved but Thumbweels still have some play.
Lens Shift percentages remain virtually the same as 2011 models

No models have Lens memory (Powerd Zoom/Shift or Focus)
No Image Shift option available across the line-up.

Epson feels Wireless HD should sway a great many buyers, but a carefull pleading for info garnered a disturbing bit of news. The Transmitter is reccomended to be in Front of the PJ and must be in "line of Sight". A real pisser for "Rear of the Room" and "In Cabinet" equipment locations. Some kinda nutsy....wireless tranmission that requires a HDMI feed that might have to extend past a PJ location. Seems only something for those who still like to see thier equipment lights blinking at them from under the Screen.

FWIW again...the Epson Reps were all kinda about that design flub. The lack of Lens Shift on the 3010 was described as being a differentiation of the premium the 5010 offers.

Thank you for the info. Despite all the rave before for the "value" 8700UB under $2500, I say Epson made a huge mistake by not having any PJ in the $2k range. The least they could have done is to continue the 8700 model line for those who want great quality 2D. They likely will lose potential customers (including me).
post #78 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpitatn View Post


Thank you for the info. Despite all the rave before for the "value" 8700UB under $2500, I say Epson made a huge mistake by not having any PJ in the $2k range. The least they could have done is to continue the 8700 model line for those who want great quality 2D. They likely will lose potential customers (including me).

I think the 5010 will street in the 2k range. Granted pry higher end but still.
post #79 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow View Post

Is 3010 on the floor ? If so how does it compare to Optoma HD33 - if that is on the floor as well.

Tommorrow is another day.........
post #80 of 2311
How could wireless HD sway ANY buyer? We all have the HDMI cables already ran in our ceiling anyway. Its a gimmick. If they wanted to sway buyers away from Panny then they need to include lens shift and lens memory, long bulb life, better black levels, free bulb and a 2 year warranty.
post #81 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

.....................The lack of Lens Shift on the 3010 was described as being a differentiation of the premium the 5010 offers.

Major FAIL. They went from an entry level PJ w/ lens shift of ~$1100 (8350 at Amazon) to an entry level PJ w/ lens shift of ~$3000..... could almost buy three 8350's for the price of the 5010!

Looks like I will be buying the 8350 from Circa 2010 unless I see some better news today.
post #82 of 2311
I think comparing the 8350 to the 5010 isn't very realistic. just because they're the cheapest in their respective lines with lens shift doesn't make it a valuable comparo.

I think its too bad there isn't a cheaper entry level model, but that the 3010 is a significant leap forward from the 8350. Besides, the 8350 isn't going for MSRP, and hasn't for quite some time. I'm sure there will be ways to get a 3010 for hundreds under msrp in a few months.

And though it isn't the same as a lower msrp, Those of you mentioning you'd prefer a 2d option at a lower price can get a 3010 and sell your glasses to subsidize the price difference. In my mind the msrp difference is only $100 more, except that they only sell it in a bundle forcing you to buy 2 pairs of glasses. Maybe they'll surprise us and announce that each of these pj's can be had for less if we don't buy a bundle, which includes either the glasses or the wireless hd transmitter.
post #83 of 2311
gizmodo says the 3010 will not do 2d to 3d conversion on the fly like the others will.

I don't view that as a huge loss, I can't imagine the 3d experience generated on the fly like that would be that great.
post #84 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post
How could wireless HD sway ANY buyer? We all have the HDMI cables already ran in our ceiling anyway. Its a gimmick. If they wanted to sway buyers away from Panny then they need to include lens shift and lens memory, long bulb life, better black levels, free bulb and a 2 year warranty.
You're forgetting part of their target audience, people who buys their first projectors and people who can't have projector because of wiring issues.

For my living room, for example, I don't want to run cable for a projector, now with wiHD I can buy a projector.
post #85 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnizzel View Post
I think comparing the 8350 to the 5010 isn't very realistic.
My point exactly. ONE of the reasons for the success of the 8350 WAS that it had lens shift AND came in around $1100-1300.

IMHO, Epson missed the boat this round by not offering at sub-$1500 PJ w/ lens shift. Having said that, the 8350 isn't long in the tooth (yet).
post #86 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post


My point exactly. ONE of the reasons for the success of the 8350 WAS that it had lens shift AND came in around $1100-1300.

IMHO, Epson missed the boat this round by not offering at sub-$1500 PJ w/ lens shift. Having said that, the 8350 isn't long in the tooth (yet).

Lens shift for MANY people is a major issue. Not having it in the 3010 prevents people from getting it. Many of this people also don't want or can't spend twice as Muh for the 5010. Not having something in between the 2 price points (with or without 3D and/or wirelessHD) is a mistake IMHO. Now if the 5010 is NOT $3K as previously posted and more like $2500 or under, that's a different story. Since the 5010 isn't coming out right away, I hope Epson will rethink their pricing.
post #87 of 2311
I whole heartedly agree that lens shift is much higher on the list of priorities than wireless hd would be. If wireless hd requires line of sight it won't be as usable as i was hoping anyway, not to mention belkin has affordable options for wireless if you really want to add it.

at this point I'm just happy those of us who don't value wireless hd at all won't have to pay for it.

I do think the split video sources will come in handy for some. I'm already looking forward to throwing up football stats or an alternate game at the same time watching the game on the other side.
post #88 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpitatn View Post

Lens shift for MANY people is a major issue. Not having it in the 3010 prevents people from getting it. Many of this people also don't want or can't spend twice as Muh for the 5010. Not having something in between the 2 price points (with or without 3D and/or wirelessHD) is a mistake IMHO. Now if the 5010 is NOT $3K as previously posted and more like $2500 or under, that's a different story. Since the 5010 isn't coming out right away, I hope Epson will rethink their pricing.

Same sheet of music here. I only held off buying an 8350 (need lens shift) b/c I wanted to see what CEDIA had in store.... oh well! No 3D for me.
post #89 of 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I think the 5010 will street in the 2k range. Granted pry higher end but still.

Is this typical of projectors, claiming a price of $3k, then when it actually hits the streets it has a lower price? I would wait for the 5010 if it were around $2k, but at $3k its a little too high. Might end up going with the 8350.
post #90 of 2311
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › New Epson 3D projectors! 3010, 5010, 6010