or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Is DNNA Slimming Down Access Lines for Dial-up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is DNNA Slimming Down Access Lines for Dial-up? - Page 2

post #31 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_tucker View Post

UPDATE:
Well I did get it to connect to the primary number in Fremont CA. I'm in Berkeley (an alt number only). Oakland primary did not work for me, so this is a toll call.

I did experience a problem connecting this morning to Redwood City (south of San Francisco) for the regular update. However I did a manual connect and there was no problem connecting/updating.
post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Same thing worked for me in the Chicago area. But why list the alternates if they aren't working?

gring40--what number are you using in Chicago?

i ran in to the same problem, can't connect with the Showstopper i have hooked up or the extra one i have.

tried various numbers on the Chicago list but they aren't working for me. also, i am still using limited AT&T home service so i can't make toll calls or calls that are too far away from me (another way to save money). so some of the numbers won't work for me any way.

but what number did you get to work in the Chicago area?

thanks.
post #33 of 76
It seems that none of the Alternate numbers for Rochester, NY (and the environs) are working anymore, and there is NO Primary number for Rochester. Although I don't pay a full toll charge for some of the surrounding areas, there is a per-minute charge... How aggravating!

post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmp0 View Post

gring40--what number are you using in Chicago?

i ran in to the same problem, can't connect with the Showstopper i have hooked up or the extra one i have.

tried various numbers on the Chicago list but they aren't working for me. also, i am still using limited AT&T home service so i can't make toll calls or calls that are too far away from me (another way to save money). so some of the numbers won't work for me any way.

but what number did you get to work in the Chicago area?

thanks.


Major thanks to gring40 who I PMed and who helped me.

I wound up substituting a phone number and area code from the Chicago Loop (not the south side which was only giving me alternate numbers) and the Showstopper gave me primary numbers to use.

The first primary number I used populated the program guide immediately, no fuss, no muss.
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_tucker View Post

Hum interesting. I'd love to see a copy of the letter you wrote to the California attorney general.

I posted it in the other thread. I need to send another one to the Attorney General.

Not sure what happened before but I got responses and it was a couple weeks they rescinded the shutdown. It seems the shutdown is back but they are feigning ineptitude. I guess they didn't expect the pressure they got from us and our natural allies, in this case the attorneys general of all the states.

As to the dialups working, no, I have no guide at all and none of the non toll numbers are working at all. I have been fooling with some different zip codes and prefixes to try to get it to pull a local for me number but I haven't found anything yet.
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

I posted it in the other thread. I need to send another one to the Attorney General.

Not sure what happened before but I got responses and it was a couple weeks they rescinded the shutdown. It seems the shutdown is back but they are feigning ineptitude. I guess they didn't expect the pressure they got from us and our natural allies, in this case the attorneys general of all the states.

As to the dialups working, no, I have no guide at all and none of the non toll numbers are working at all. I have been fooling with some different zip codes and prefixes to try to get it to pull a local for me number but I haven't found anything yet.

Did your "agreement" with ReplayTV guarantee TOLL-FREE access numbers?
post #37 of 76
Does anyone have a Dallas area number that still connects? I am trying to get my parents back online without having to run a network cable yet.
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb137 View Post

Does anyone have a Dallas area number that still connects? I am trying to get my parents back online without having to run a network cable yet.

The first one in the list I tried (817-506-4696) worked. Others shown as "primary" are 217-619-9005, 409-356-0009, and 432-614-0716.
post #39 of 76
I too have discovered that all local alternate numbers failed with "UNABLE TO AUTHORIZE CONNECTION" and that all primary numbers were toll calls. I then replaced my upgraded hard disk with the original disk and it had a local primary number that worked. Just saying.....
post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

POTS lines are becoming non-existant and modems, including fax units, have been having a lot of trouble connecting to multiplexed digital lines. Guess Steevo is going to have to scare the telecoms into bringing back copper.

There are hundreds of millions of pots lines being used daily in the US.

Credit card machines, fax machines, there's millions of them.

And there are gonna be millions of them for the foreseeable future. Not that ReplayTV is paying their bill, they probably don't have money for that anymore.
post #41 of 76
Don't know where you are seeing these millions of machines. We have document senders, not faxes and as to the "hundreds of millions" of POTS lines you must have gone a little simple. That piece of copper coming into your house is no longer a POTS line after it gets to the CO if not before.
post #42 of 76
I spoke with the ReplayTV manager at DNNA today.

She told me that they recently identified and fixed problem with the phone number update feed, so the dialup number list should be corrected now.

If you're still having problems, this is a good thread to post in.

Robert
post #43 of 76
I am in Arizona at a vacation house.
(928) 453-xxxx
Zip 86403

I was using (928) 466-xxxx in the replay and zip 86406, and that pulled a (928) 466-4000 number that worked for the last couple years but it stopped working on 9/20/2011, or that's the last scheduled recording that recorded. I do a manual net connect on that number and it fails with a message "there was a problem connecting to the replaytv service, the replaytv will try again later"

I have been trying different dialup numbers, 928-788-0000. A modem does answer but then it also says there is a problem connecting to the replaytv service.

I have been fooling with it but it will not connect. An old showstopper. It dials in and the modem answers but nothing good happens. It disconnects after a while and I still have a blank program guide.
post #44 of 76
I just tried one of the primary numbers, and it is working. It is however definitely long distance for me. None of the alternate numbers seem to work anymore, but there is a modem answering so the problem is replaytv didn't contract for those numbers anymore. They don't want to admit that however.

I connected and got guide data from a long distance number, but it's probably 18 cents/minute. But the modem and phone line are now verified working.
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo55 View Post

None of the alternate numbers seem to work anymore

Thought they claimed to have fixed that; guess they need more 'feedback' for your area. People also can play games with area codes, where possible. Still running a SS myself, so I sympathize.
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Thought they claimed to have fixed that; guess they need more 'feedback' for your area. People also can play games with area codes, where possible. Still running a SS myself, so I sympathize.

I don't think it's fixed at all.

I give the box a area code/prefix and zip code, it calls the 800 number and downloads a whole bunch of dialup numbers, but almost none work.

What's the point of that? Whey would they give you numbers that always get authentication errors, likely because they didn't pay their bill? Why not take the non working ones out?

I don't get it.
post #47 of 76
Thread Starter 
I received my phone bill which now indicates the toll charges to dial in from near Pacifica, CA to Redwood City. This counts as local long distance. I racked up $25.00 in charges. I am on the AT&T One Rate Nation plan ($5 a month/.07cents per call). This is the only AT&T plan that allows residential Internet connections. All the others forbid it (I got seriously rapped by AT&T because I dialed in for the epg update). Looking for a new plan!

All the alternate numbers on the San Francisco peninsula fail to work (note I use at least two of them for my Earthlink dialup). Only the primary numbers function and all are toll calls.

Until I get a new plan, I am cutting back on the nightly connections to 3 days a week. A hassle but it is necessary so I do not go over budget.

Mark

Correction: "I wrote $5 a month/.07cents per call." It ought to read .07 cents per minute. The average call is 10 minutes (.70 cents) and the longest 26 minutes ($1.82). The $5 is per month (on top of whatever calls I make).

Also I did reconnect to the 800 number (by appearing to change my phone number) to download new phone numbers. While some alternate numbers are gone, most are still there along with the primary. Only the primary numbers work.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtaylor View Post

I received my phone bill which now indicates the toll charges to dial in from near Pacifica, CA to Redwood City. This counts as local long distance. I racked up $25.00 in charges. I am on the AT&T One Rate Nation plan ($5 a month/.07cents per call). This is the only AT&T plan that allows residential Internet connections...

.07 cents per CALL or MINUTE?

31 x .07 = $2.17 + $5.00 = $7.17

Take a look at OneSuite - .025 cents per minute and no monthly charge last I checked a few months back.

I also had our local telephone provider, Verizon, remove all Inter-state and Intra-state long distance carriers from our line. My wife would call a number in the same area code as ours a few towns over and we'd get billed at .17 or .25 cents per minute. This way, she tried it first. If she got a recorded message saying this number is a long distance call, she'd redial with the OneSuite prefix. Cut our long distance bill tremendously!
post #49 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

.07 cents per CALL or MINUTE?

31 x .07 = $2.17 + $5.00 = $7.17

Take a look at OneSuite - .025 cents per minute and no monthly charge last I checked a few months back.

I also had our local telephone provider, Verizon, remove all Inter-state and Intra-state long distance carriers from our line. My wife would call a number in the same area code as ours a few towns over and we'd get billed at .17 or .25 cents per minute. This way, she tried it first. If she got a recorded message saying this number is a long distance call, she'd redial with the OneSuite prefix. Cut our long distance bill tremendously!

The problem with using OneSuite is that you must access their service either by toll free or local number and then enter in the number to dial. That is fine for regular calling but not possible with Replay(afaik). Their rates are indeed good.
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtaylor View Post

The problem with using OneSuite is that you must access their service either by toll free or local number and then enter in the number to dial. That is fine for regular calling but not possible with Replay(afaik). Their rates are indeed good.

Would it work to put that in the "dialing prefix" string on the Replay (like you need to do to use LaHo)?

BTW, those "cents per minute" numbers people are using look like DOLLARS per minute. Apparently, a lot of people make that mistake.
post #51 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

Would it work to put that in the "dialing prefix" string on the Replay (like you need to do to use LaHo)?

As I recall when using Laho, it does not work with the 5040 series due to limits on the string size. I am looking at several ld plans that have substantially less per minute charges than AT&T. Downside is a separate bill but I can live with that.
post #52 of 76
For some unknown reason, the alternate numbers don't appear to work. A work around to finding a free Primary number is to go to www.earthlink.com and search for their local access numbers applicable to your phone number. You will likely find one or more. Then input that number into your replaytv phone setup as if it was your home phone number. When the replay dials in it will probably find that number and maybe more primary numbers you can select for it to dial into. This is how you can possibly find free numbers for call in!

We used this method years ago and I used it again recently to enable my brothers replays to come up with a free local Primary number.
post #53 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

For some unknown reason, the alternate numbers don't appear to work. A work around to finding a free Primary number is to go to www.earthlink.com and search for their local access numbers applicable to your phone number

A very good idea. And it works! I already have a recent print out of the local Earthlink access numbers. I checked the San Francisco numbers and all fall into my local (and free) zone. So I changed the phone setting for the San Francisco area code (415) and a local prefix but kept (and this is important) the zip code exactly the same. It dialed up the 800 number and gave me back a number of primary numbers in my free zone.

I had to make sure the dialing protocol was adjusted to San Francisco and I was able to select San Bruno Cable. I also had to reprogram the cable box (on and off selecting the right code but I have done this before so no big deal). It then dialed up and downloaded the channel guide for San Bruno Cable with no problem.

So problem solved. Just tell me where I send the case of beer!
post #54 of 76
Another thing you can try, is give an out-of-state phone number to get listings out of state. If you're going to pay LD charges, it's much cheaper to call out of state than in state. You'll eventually reach the same servers.

Robert
post #55 of 76
Those are all workarounds for the failure of the replaytv company to maintain their network.

They are trying to get rid of us. They tried it before and failed, so now they are making things so flaky and nonfunctional we'll just leave. It's clearly working. Lots of people are getting rid of their units.
post #56 of 76
You seem to be extremely dense, It is not THEIR network. And expectations of DNNA doing handstands to cater to a couple dozen people who have not succumbed to the "fad" of broadband are delusional.
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

You seem to be extremely dense, It is not THEIR network. And expectations of DNNA doing handstands to cater to a couple dozen people who have not succumbed to the "fad" of broadband are delusional.

or unlimited long distance, where they could use any number.

Some people don't have either (broadband or unlimited long distance) available.
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post

or unlimited long distance, where they could use any number.

Some people don't have either (broadband or unlimited long distance) available.

I think anyone can get unlimited long distance. They just choose not to pay for it, be it they don't use it enough, or use a cell phone as their primary mode of communication for LD.

Broadband isn't available everywhere. There are LOTS of home no where near a cable drop. And if they ain't near a cable drop, DSL is not an option, either. It's 56k dial-up or nothing....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #59 of 76
Even with a local number it's not free for me, since my Telco charges about $.04 for each untimed call. My SS makes about 100 of these a month, probably due to problems connecting to the service.
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Even with a local number it's not free for me, since my Telco charges about $.04 for each untimed call. My SS makes about 100 of these a month, probably due to problems connecting to the service.

$4 / mo is not bad for 100 calls.

You do realize that, if you are home, your SS doesn't need to call every day... Just unplug the phone line from the model, and plug in, say, at least once a week...

Cheers!
-Doug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Is DNNA Slimming Down Access Lines for Dial-up?